Author Topic: Yeowwwch! (ToB Spoiler)  (Read 88848 times)

Offline Kai of Candlekeep

• View Profile
    • Email
Yeowwwch! (ToB Spoiler)
« on: August 01, 2018, 05:42:07 AM »
Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:43 am    

Talk about tough encounters.

Having played SoA/ToB more times than I care to count, I can easily boast that Firkraag, the Shadow Dragon, Bodhi, Kangaxx, Nizidramanii'yt, The Shade Lord, and several of the "tougher" encounters are pretty much one-load fights, even on "insane" difficulty level.

The even tougher encounters (Abazigal, Draconis, Irenicus, the guardians in Watcher's Keep) are 2 or 3-load fights (takes me 2 or 3 tries to get it right).

But Matron Mother Arkenheld takes the cake for tough nuts to crack! Second only to Melissan, this is probably the toughest encounter I have ever experienced in this game. It took me five tries before I finally beat her! (yes I suppose I could have set the difficulty level lower, but where's the fun in that?) The horrible wench always tries to kite Tsujatha, so all you Tujatha-lovers out there beware! You wanna keep him way in the back! Those Arkenheld drow are more vicious than Bodhi's vampires, they can perma-death people in your crew while you are not looking!

Not that I want anything to change, it is actually nice to finally get a fight that actually poses something of a challenge! Nice work as always Sillara and Nethrin!
Having a highly active imagination can be very taxing on the purity of one's soul at times...
- Sir Kalthorine ut Wistan
I find you amusing... in a "What the hell is wrong with you?" kind of way...
- Jaheira, BG1

Member of Sol-Ek-Sa

Offline nethrin

• Retired Modder
  • Level 3
    • MSN Messenger - gilalion@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gilalion.com
    • Email
Re: Yeowwwch! (ToB Spoiler)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 05:42:08 AM »
Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:00 am  

yeah, I remember beta-testing that encounter. I must've been busy doing something else that day, because all of a sudden, that encounter was done and coded. sillara and I discussed where to put her, after what point, etc., and then, suddenly, sillara says 'let's test it.' I was like 'you've already coded it?!' she said 'yes', so we tried it. I got SLAUGHTERED.

wtf?!

that yochlol is tough!!!! and the matron mother has a modified form of sendai 's scripting (i.e., she cast wizard AND priest spells).

I agree: bad-ass.

Offline Sillara

• Retired Modder
  • Level 2
    • MSN Messenger - gilalion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sk8pilmp
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - charisariel
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 05:42:09 AM »
Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:08 am  

Well, of COURSE the Matron Mother has scripting similar to Sendai's. They are both cleric/mages. (Hey, play Aerie up high enough, and she can do the SAME thing! icon_linkbiggrin.gif)

As for the difficulty level, well, new_asthanos.gif . No, I didn't have her check for Tsujatha specifically, but she does go after, if I remember correctly, mages and low-hit-point people. Perhaps it would not hurt to have Tsujatha cast a few vampiric touches from time to time. His HP get up really high with that.

Anyway, I am glad you liked the fight! I was worried that I could not script anything hard, especially after seeing the way people can just walk through the Sorkyst battle in the Tsujatha mod. I am happy now. icon_linkbiggrin.gif new_asthanos.gif

Sillara
Can you accept a necromancer? Can you trust a murderer? Can you love Tsujatha?
If you like Tsujatha, you should read his novels.
Natha ssin'urn lu' dwalc ilythiiri noamuth wund l' rivven: Yasraena zhah ghil!
Saerileth's bounty is as boundless as the sea; the more  she gives to you, the more she has, for her love is infinite.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 05:42:10 AM »
Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:09 am  

Yeah, it's a nasty fight.

What makes it even worse is the fact that the drow fighters (I think) are popping invisibility potions, and they are impossible to see until they stick that nasty little backstab into your mage(s) icon_confused.gif

A contingency spell or minor sequencer helps greatly in keeping Tsujatha (and Imoen) alive during this fight: stoneskin, globe of invulnerability, Mordenkainen's sword, Mordenkainen's sword, breach, vampiric touch.

Matron Mother is way harder than Sendai, IMO. With Sendai, the tactic I use is to keep my mages in the center of the room and basically use summoned creatures to peel off whatever tries to attack them while my fighters go after Sendai.

This tactic does *not* work against Matron Mother and her minions, because you just don't know where the attack is going to come from. Most of the foes are invisible until you get hit. The only advice I can give people for doing this fight is BRING LOTS OF HEALING POTIONS and try to keep your party in a very tight cluster. Summoned creatures are not a bad idea either icon_razz.gif

It's hard to know what formation to use for this fight, because no matter what you do, your mages and your cleric are so vulnerable. There is so much going on all at once --- between popping heal potions for your fighters, trying to keep your mages out of harm's way, keeping your main character alive for heaven's sake! --- it's crazy, it's hellacious, and oh! so much fun!
Having a highly active imagination can be very taxing on the purity of one's soul at times...
- Jaheira, BG1

Member of Sol-Ek-Sa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 05:42:11 AM »
Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:30 am

I was worried that I could not script anything hard, especially after seeing the way people can just walk through the Sorkyst battle in the Tsujatha mod. I am happy now.

This is probably the wrong thread to be discussing the Sorkyst fight, but if people complain that he is too easy, have them set the difficulty level to "insane". Sorkyst and his goons do double damage or something like that, and it's a pretty nasty fight icon_biggrin.gif

There won't be too much "walking through" Sorkyst after that :wink:
- Jaheira, BG1

Member of Sol-Ek-Sa

Offline Keltosh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 05:42:12 AM »
Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:28 pm    

Kai ... please.. next time...when you put up a spoiler thread.. don't put anything in the title that gives you spoiler (knowing the ToB encounter is with a matron mother is spoiler enough) and put a BIG "spoiler" in the title, ok?
Something like "ToB encounter, spoilers" would have sufficed...
I will stop writing in order to keep the post civil ..... Yes, I'm pissed like hell now ....

Offline Sillara

• Retired Modder
  • Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 05:42:13 AM »
Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:46 pm    

Sorry about that, Keltosh. I should have caught it. I have edited the title now, to prevent more spoiling.

Only the title, though! I do not edit people's posts. icon_eek.gif

Sillara
Saerileth's bounty is as boundless as the sea; the more  she gives to you, the more she has, for her love is infinite.

Offline Keltosh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 04:23:30 PM »
 Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:26 pm  

The title is enough. I mean, I would have never read it if there was something like ToB spoilers in the title ....
Anyway, I'm cooling down... besides it's not like I was angry at you icon_biggrin.gif It's just that I thought it was common sense to avoid spoilers in threads without the word "spolier" in the title..

EDIT: and, Kai, while we're at it.. double posting is a no-no in a forum.. that's what the edit button is for....sorry to mention it but i think you did already twice or thrice...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 04:43:00 PM by Keltosh »

Offline Moongaze

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 04:23:31 PM »
Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:05 pm    

Aye, I agree.
Hmm, so I'll be encountering an immense battle with a Cleric/Mage and her bloodlusty goons. Great icon_rolleyes.gif Why'd you have to make Yasraena so irresistabl

Offline nethrin

• Retired Modder
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 04:23:32 PM »
Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:40 pm    

dude, it is IN-SANE. have fun! icon_biggrin.gif

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 04:23:33 PM »
Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:37 am

The title is enough. I mean, I would have never read it if there was something like ToB spoilers in the title ....
Anyway, I'm cooling down... besides it's not like I was angry at you icon_biggrin.gif It's just that I thought it was common sense to avoid spoilers in threads without the word "spolier" in the title..

EDIT: and, Kai, while we're at it.. double posting is a no-no in a forum.. that's what the edit button is for....sorry to mention it but i think you did already twice or thrice...

Sorry about that Keltosh. I got over-excited about the encounter, and yes, I did fail to say it was a big spoiler. I am very,very sorry about that.

And I am sorry about the double posting. It has happened before due to lag, and the forum does not allow me to delete duplicate posts, so I simply edit and say something different, so as not to be redundant.

If we had the ability to delete our own posts, you would not see me double-posting. Trust me.
- Jaheira, BG1

Member of Sol-Ek-Sa

Offline Keltosh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 04:23:34 PM »
Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:25 am    

Well, i calmed down. It's no problem as long as you understand and don't do it again icon_biggrin.gif I can understand, since I'm the hyped up type as well, but spoilers well .. just sucks ..
As for the double posts, just be less impatient and avoid clicking the submit button 2 times in a row icon_lol.gif

Offline Wistrik

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 04:23:35 PM »
Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:17 am    

It wasn't much of a spoiler for me. Yasraena is drow after all, and I've yet to learn of one who hasn't had someone from their past come after them to prevent their leading any kind of life away from Lolth.

The other thing that helps is I don't play at any difficulty beyond Core Rules. I'm in it for quests, friendships and helping folks. The combat is just something to put up with. (I miss the days of true turn-based tactics that I was able to employ in SSI's gold box series. Now those were fun battles, and the enemy didn't cheat.)
This Child of Bhaal will soon encounter Saerileth. Let the realms rejoice, and let the gods watch and wonder.

Viconia talks tough, but Yasraena *is* tough.

Offline nethrin

• Retired Modder
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 04:23:36 PM »
Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:49 am    

the matron mother has to make her perfunctory appearance.... :wink:

Offline Sillara

• Retired Modder
  • Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2018, 04:23:37 PM »
Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:50 am    

We never play beyond Core either, and, umm, we STILL got slaughtered! icon_eek.gif But, I admit, I play for the interaction, too; the battles are not a big focus for me. (This is the main reason why, despite my now-improved scripting skills, I have never tried to beef up Sorkyst's encounter in the Tsujatha mod.)

Sillara