Author Topic: Bugs for Yasraena v5  (Read 88863 times)

Offline nethrin

• Retired Modder
  • Level 3
    • MSN Messenger - gilalion@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gilalion.com
    • Email
Bugs for Yasraena v5
« on: July 30, 2018, 01:29:35 PM »
Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:27 pm    

post bugs here, please, and we'll squash 'em!

Offline Wistrik

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs for Yasraena v5
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 01:29:36 PM »
Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:17 am    

The only thing I've noted while installing updates is the text in her joining journal entry (Journal section) changing to a dialog line instead of a journal text. Of course, you have to scroll back to Chapter 1 entries to notice it. This occurs because I always restore the original TLK file after uninstalling the current version and installing the new version.

Probably the only way to 'fix' this is to stick all the journal entry strings at the start of the mod's text additions, so they don't change position from version to version.
This Child of Bhaal will soon encounter Saerileth. Let the realms rejoice, and let the gods watch and wonder.

Viconia talks tough, but Yasraena *is* tough.

Offline Wistrik

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 01:29:37 PM »
Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:23 am    

Ah, bugs... only CLUA got Yasraena rescued for me. Spoilers below.

1. The Elf that arrests Yasraena doesn't properly move to the upper floor of the Five Flagons. I had to summon him using CLUA and CreateCreature to get things working again. I think the reason is that, while his guards use EscapeAreaMove, he uses MoveGlobal. His guards showed up, but he didn't. Once summoned, the elf recognized I had the ring and Yasraena appeared and rejoined the party.

2. I still got a reputation hit when she rejoined. So now I have to manually repair the 20 reputation I've had for several game days. I suggest that you don't reset her reputation variable to zero if the party's rep is already 20, too high to go any further. I'm sure most people who work to get 20 rep aren't going to do something to lose it in the time before they can rescue Yasraena.

3. When Yasraena was arrested, I got a journal entry about the Mithrest Inn, but no mention of meeting the elves on the second floor of the Five Flagons. (Thankfully I was on a mission from Aran at the same time, so this trip fulfilled two quests.)

Offline Sillara

• Retired Modder
  • Level 2
    • MSN Messenger - gilalion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sk8pilmp
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - charisariel
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 01:29:38 PM »
Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:26 pm    

Blast, blast, BLAST!!!!! icon_linkmad.gif icon_linkmad.gif icon_linkmad.gif

Okay, I think I have fixed those glitches, except maybe for the Journal Entries. Argh again. Expect v6 in a day or so!

Sillara, the frustrated
Can you accept a necromancer? Can you trust a murderer? Can you love Tsujatha?
If you like Tsujatha, you should read his novels.
Natha ssin'urn lu' dwalc ilythiiri noamuth wund l' rivven: Yasraena zhah ghil!
Saerileth's bounty is as boundless as the sea; the more  she gives to you, the more she has, for her love is infinite.

Offline nethrin

• Retired Modder
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 01:29:39 PM »
Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:25 pm    

the elf captain bug should be fixed now. patch.

Offline Wistrik

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 01:29:40 PM »
Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:44 am    

I'm already past this part of the mod, so I'll wait for V6.

By the way, when we returned to the docks to deal with the Harpers, the captain was still standing right where he'd appeared prior to Yasraena's arrest. icon_biggrin.gif I did NOT try talking to him, as I didn't want to have to reload or anything. So now there's a not-so-jolly green elf standing at the docks next to Fovem, the thief merchant.
This Child of Bhaal will soon encounter Saerileth. Let the realms rejoice, and let the gods watch and wonder.

Offline nethrin

• Retired Modder
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 01:29:41 PM »
Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:55 am    

just CTRL+Y him..... :wink:

Offline Wistrik

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 01:29:42 PM »
Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:58 am    

Quest-killing bug with spoilers...

If I talk to Captain Tsabrak in Ust Natha, prior to finding Divalir, and choose the civil option (non-combat), he and his guards leave the area never to return, so the quest to free Divalir is broken. The only way to save it then is to use CLUA to reset the spawning variables. This just happened to me because, as usual, I forgot about the slave pens behind all the buildings, so I encountered the guards on the top level before I remembered to look into the slave pens. Besides, it's too early in my quests to have the ability to buy the slaves.

I suggest these options for the captain:

Prior to finding Divalir
1. Be civil. Captain tells you to get lost/leave them alone/whatever but remains in place with his guards.
2. Cause a fight. When killed, the captain drops the item necessary for Divalir's release. You might give the item a more vague/less spoilerish description and have Yasraena mention something about how you should keep it because it looks like it might be helpful in the future. So maybe two versions of the item: one pre-divalir and one post-divalir.

After finding Divalir:
1. Add an option to escape conversation in case the party isn't ready yet. As it is there were only two options when I talked to him: demand Divalir's release, or betray Divalir.

This is how most of Bioware's quests are set up, to allow for the player taking different avenues of action.

I also manage to reveal a weakness in the dialog triggers when I didn't get her immytaken variable set correctly. (I didn't want her talks to reset AGAIN in the same game. I'd already reset them once after installing V2 so they'd progress correctly.) Anyway, the end result has been seeing her immytaken talk (without reset) when we entered the Underdark, and seeing her congrats on rescuing Imoen when we entered Ust Natha. I won't get to see these two dialogs because the variables were already set. Granted, this is caused by my meddling, it could have been prevented with stronger coding of dialog triggers, so they can't accidentally fire at the wrong time or in the wrong place. Currently all of the checking is done in the script, so when the dialog is executed, it's fair game. It's a good idea to duplicate script checks in dialog triggers to make sure the wrong dialogs can't fire off. For example, if her ImmyTaken dialog had a check for AR0701 in its trigger, it couldn't have shown up when I entered the underdark.

Related to that is our stopping for a meal in unlikely places, and her mentioning the outdoors while we are indoors.

Despite the problems, I've rescued Divalir and he's gone off to Suldanesselar. Now I can blitz the drow quests and get back to the sunlight.

Offline Sillara

• Retired Modder
  • Level 2
    • MSN Messenger - gilalion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sk8pilmp
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - charisariel
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 01:29:43 PM »
Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:34 am

Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:58 am    

Quest-killing bug with spoilers...

If I talk to Captain Tsabrak in Ust Natha, prior to finding Divalir, and choose the civil option (non-combat), he and his guards leave the area never to return, so the quest to free Divalir is broken. The only way to save it then is to use CLUA to reset the spawning variables. This just happened to me because, as usual, I forgot about the slave pens behind all the buildings, so I encountered the guards on the top level before I remembered to look into the slave pens. Besides, it's too early in my quests to have the ability to buy the slaves.

I suggest these options for the captain:

Prior to finding Divalir
1. Be civil. Captain tells you to get lost/leave them alone/whatever but remains in place with his guards.
2. Cause a fight. When killed, the captain drops the item necessary for Divalir's release. You might give the item a more vague/less spoilerish description and have Yasraena mention something about how you should keep it because it looks like it might be helpful in the future. So maybe two versions of the item: one pre-divalir and one post-divalir.

After finding Divalir:
1. Add an option to escape conversation in case the party isn't ready yet. As it is there were only two options when I talked to him: demand Divalir's release, or betray Divalir.

This is how most of Bioware's quests are set up, to allow for the player taking different avenues of action.

I also manage to reveal a weakness in the dialog triggers when I didn't get her immytaken variable set correctly. (I didn't want her talks to reset AGAIN in the same game. I'd already reset them once after installing V2 so they'd progress correctly.) Anyway, the end result has been seeing her immytaken talk (without reset) when we entered the Underdark, and seeing her congrats on rescuing Imoen when we entered Ust Natha. I won't get to see these two dialogs because the variables were already set. Granted, this is caused by my meddling, it could have been prevented with stronger coding of dialog triggers, so they can't accidentally fire at the wrong time or in the wrong place. Currently all of the checking is done in the script, so when the dialog is executed, it's fair game. It's a good idea to duplicate script checks in dialog triggers to make sure the wrong dialogs can't fire off. For example, if her ImmyTaken dialog had a check for AR0701 in its trigger, it couldn't have shown up when I entered the underdark.

Related to that is our stopping for a meal in unlikely places, and her mentioning the outdoors while we are indoors.

Despite the problems, I've rescued Divalir and he's gone off to Suldanesselar. Now I can blitz the drow quests and get back to the sunlight.

Are you sure that they left forever? They are actually supposed to move to a different part of Ust Natha, down past, I think, the place where you fight the slime worshipers. (I am not even going to *try* to spell that name. :wink: ) As for talking to the guards a second time after talking to Divalir, the guards are not in a mood to talk again. You will have to either kill them or betray Divalir. I didn't want to make it TOO easy for the player. new_vampv.gif

ARGH and a million and three ARGHHs. I had thought I had taken care of the variables. Oh well. Off to try to hard-code those variables. I hate trying to script in Indoor Outdoor checks. Argh again. I will see what I can do with that.

Could you double check your game to make sure that the Captain and his goons did not relocate down to that lower area? That is quite worrying.

Sillara
Can you accept a necromancer? Can you trust a murderer? Can you love Tsujatha?
If you like Tsujatha, you should read his novels.
Natha ssin'urn lu' dwalc ilythiiri noamuth wund l' rivven: Yasraena zhah ghil!
Saerileth's bounty is as boundless as the sea; the more  she gives to you, the more she has, for her love is infinite.

Offline Wistrik

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 01:29:44 PM »
Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:27 am    

Okay, I found them in that little (normally empty so I ignored it) platform, but your hint was the ONLY clue I had to look there, since the Captain certainly didn't say anything, nor was a journal entry added. So I killed them a second time (they were already red) for the XP and $$$.

Even if I'd thought to check that area when I helped Phaere with the beholder, nothing told me I might need to check back there after meeting the Captain in the upper levels afterward.

I meant to say AR0700 in my area reference. Oops.

Coding for outside/inside is as easy as using an AreaType() trigger. Bioware used it in nearly all of their NPCs.

Offline Wistrik

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 01:29:45 PM »
Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:12 pm  

More spoilers...

Once again Yasraena left the party, as we were heading out of the Underdark. Once again, it was bad timing, since we were sorta in the middle of a battle. Thankfully I have Jaheira as backup muscle.

I probably should have grabbed the patch, because, once again, my reputation tried to go up to 22 when I reached the surface, and when Yasraena rejoined, boom, down to 18 again. Blah. NI fixed it.

She was still wearing drow armor, in broad sunlight. Since she wasn't in the party, the area script couldn't remove her drow equipment. That Drow Plate +5 is some good stuff.

Additionally, she was carrying some party supplies and I had to wait for her to come back from her sudden departure before I could use it. Of course, now that I've experienced all this, I can meta-play the mod, but it would have been nice if she'd warned me that she would be leaving so I could take some things and put them on other characters first.

I know she has some hard feelings for the drow, but she didn't even comment when I needlessly butchered Qilue and House Jae'llat (sp). (I didn't lose my paladin status either. icon_biggrin.gif ) I blame it on what Irenicus did to my character.

Offline Wistrik

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 01:29:46 PM »
Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:11 am    

The Divalir spawning script you pre-pend to the start of AR2800.BCS lacks a Continue() action so it prevents the OnCreation() triggered script block from incrementing the chapter to 7, playing the intro movie for the elven city, telling Elhan to initiate dialog with the player, and various other things.