Author Topic: The Stone of Askavar General info  (Read 14780 times)

Offline Red Carnelian

• Global Moderator
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • The Stone of Askavar
The Stone of Askavar General info
« on: May 03, 2005, 12:11:06 PM »
The Stone of Askavar is a Mini Mod for BG1 which takes you on the search of a powerful stone located in the ancient elven community of Askavar. It's a bit like the Heart Stone Gem quest from Icewind Dale but this time you have to race to find the stone before Bane's followers get to the stone themselves. The Mod will add several new areas to the game and include more spells and items.
Little is known of Nirel, a powerful cleric who could resist the spells of his enemies. However, history does record that he was a vile zealot whose hatred for followers of other faiths knew almost no bounds. It is said that he kept the heads of his victims as trophies and was personally responsible for defiling over one hundred temples of other faiths. In the centuries since, his mace has appeared in the hands of evil clerics across the Realms.

Offline Andyr

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gibberlings3.net
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 06:08:20 PM »
I was wondering if you knew Bane was dead during the time of BG1, or if this was intentional and part of the storyline?
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

Offline Lord Kain

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/12483/
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 07:55:28 PM »
Bane still had followers even after his death. Actually Bane returns as a greater power a few years after the conclusion of ToB.
"Who--who are you?"
"Who? Who is but the form following the function of what... and what I am is a man in a mask."
"I can see that"
"Of course you can. I'm not questioning your powers of observation, I'm merely remarking on the paradox of asking a masked man who he is."

Offline Andyr

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 11:51:50 AM »
I know Bane returns.

However, after his death most of his followers deserted him for other deities. My point was, Banites wouldn't be finding some stone for Bane if Bane is dead, as Bane wouldn't be telling them to. So it'd either be they are finding it for an imposter, or for themselves rather than Bane. Which is why I was checking if this was intentional, or the CoM people didn't know Bane was dead.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

Offline Red Carnelian

• Global Moderator
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • The Stone of Askavar
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 11:52:42 AM »
If the BG1 game guide is to be believed Bane was not dead during the year 1373DR. Bane returned on Midwinter night of 1372DR, the year of wild magic. 3 years earlier in the year of the tankard Fzoul forged the Scepter of the Tyrant's Eye and brought the dark network under the influence of the Black Hand.
Little is known of Nirel, a powerful cleric who could resist the spells of his enemies. However, history does record that he was a vile zealot whose hatred for followers of other faiths knew almost no bounds. It is said that he kept the heads of his victims as trophies and was personally responsible for defiling over one hundred temples of other faiths. In the centuries since, his mace has appeared in the hands of evil clerics across the Realms.

Offline Red Carnelian

• Global Moderator
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • The Stone of Askavar
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 12:04:54 PM »
It seems there is an error with the game guides BG1 has the current year as 1373DR and BG2 has the current year as 1369DR which is impossible. I may have to change things to the lesser god Xvim instead.

Offline Veldrin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 12:42:52 PM »
What if the worshippers in question are fanatics hoping to somehow restore Bane with the power of the stone? Maybe hoping to become favoured when he returns? Religion can mess up peoples minds big time and I doubt *all* of Bane's clerics would just throw it all away on a whim. Besides, it's not like all of Bhaal's followers gave up when he died either... just a few thoughts.
Yes, I'm gone. But you probably realized that already. My sincerest apologies for those of you whom I have inconvenienced with my continuous absences.

Offline Red Carnelian

• Global Moderator
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • The Stone of Askavar
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 12:44:02 PM »
BG1 guide is incorrect BG1 is set in the year 1368DR. How can bioware have made such a mistake?! I'll have to change the story a bit. Good site for timelines which even has the books in place can be found here

Offline Andyr

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 12:48:23 PM »
RC: Yeh, the present year in FR is 1372 and BG2 are slightly before that.

Veldrin: That was my point. Which is why I wanted to know if RC *knew* Bane was dead or not.

Offline Red Carnelian

• Global Moderator
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • The Stone of Askavar
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 01:02:56 PM »
Quote from: "Veldrin"
What if the worshippers in question are fanatics hoping to somehow restore Bane with the power of the stone? Maybe hoping to become favoured when he returns? Religion can mess up peoples minds big time and I doubt *all* of Bane's clerics would just throw it all away on a whim. Besides, it's not like all of Bhaal's followers gave up when he died either... just a few thoughts.

Most of Bane's followers had gone underground during 1368DR to escape the Banedeath during which most became loyal to Iyachtu Xvim, Banes half demon son. Xvim was known to send visions to Fzoul so this may be involved in the story with the kind of thing you've mentioned.

Offline Lord Kain

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/12483/
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 01:16:59 PM »
I had a PnP half-fiend blackguard who became a god of Tyranny. His name is blackhand. I found out later that one of Banes titles if blackhand. Kind of odd isn't it.

I had actually named my fiend after Blackhand the Destoryer from the original warcraft game.
"Who--who are you?"
"Who? Who is but the form following the function of what... and what I am is a man in a mask."
"I can see that"
"Of course you can. I'm not questioning your powers of observation, I'm merely remarking on the paradox of asking a masked man who he is."

Offline NiGHTMARE

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005, 02:58:07 AM »
Bane did retain one large group of loyal followers throughout his death, a group known as the Knights of the Black Gauntlet.  Prior to his return, they managed to capture the city of Mintar on the Lake of Steam, and the Tethyrian town of Kzelter.

The group refused to believe their god was dead, mainly backed up by the fact priests in the group could still cast spells and their leader, Teldorn Darkhope, was receiving divine visions.  Unbeknownst to them, however, said magic and visions were being granted by Xvim.

Offline Amy

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2005, 09:42:16 PM »
Good another Baldur's Gate mod. I'll look forward to it.