Author Topic: Fade FAQ - Salvaged Thread  (Read 23833 times)

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • http://mistresselysia.deviantart.com/
Fade FAQ - Salvaged Thread
« on: April 10, 2005, 02:06:08 AM »
Quote from: "Mistress Elysia"
I've been asked many questions about Fade - hopefully this will answer most of them! If not, ask away. *Contains mini-spoilers*  :D

Who is Fade?
She is a Fey'ri (elven tiefling) Shadow Thief NPC

What Class is she?
She's a single class thief, but has some unique mage-like abilities (charm person, invisibility) due to what she is.

Where will I find her?
She is introduced to you by Aran Linvail.

Is she Romanceable?
Yes, by males of all classes, races and alignments.

What happened to the female romance?
Long story - there is a thread relating to this. She won't ignore females, there will be friendship route for them. Depending on circumstances, I may re-introduce a female romance later. Because I'm a fickle thing.

Jeez, everyone is doing romances / odd races / characters with chequered pasts...why another one?
1) Because I'm a girl, I'm soppy and I read too many of my mums Mills and Boons as a kid (ummm, actually I'm lying about the last one *shudders* Mills and Boon....), 2) Because I love the idea of the Fey'ri and my DM wouldn't let me play one in Real Life Sunday(tm) roleplaying.  3) Because she's got to have *something* to talk to the PC about!

Who's working on her?
CREATOR / MAIN WRITER - Mistress Elysia (me!)

CODER/ PROOFREADER / BITS-ADDING-IN-PERSON / ALL ROUND ANGEL - Silmarien.

PROOFREADERS / IDEAS-BOUNCERS / GENERAL ANGEL TYPES - Mr Ennigma, Sillara of the Tamari, Jolyth

MENTORS / WHAT-THE-HELL-AM-I-DOING-HELP!?! PEOPLE.
Sillara of the Tamari, Silmarien, Mr Ennigma

PERSON WHO MESSES AROUND WITH THE CODE WHEN SHE *REALLY* SHOULDN'T - Mistress Elysia

Art
Fades portrait drawn by Mistress Elysia and manipulated by Sol-Ek-Sa. Hopefully going to get a tail added to Fades paperdoll etc. (Heh heh, but the peeps at Sol-Ek-Sa don't know that yet, so shhh!!)

Who does she talk to?
Fade will banter with all Bioware NPCs at least twice - some banters are romance specific. There are romance conflicts, and not just with the joinable NPCs :wink:. She also banters with her Shadow Thief friends and those who know her around Athkatla - she's been there a while, so some NPCs already know her.

Does she have any quests?
Yes, two quests (one is an ikkle silly mini-quest) are in the bag, and I'm writing her final one now.
UPDATE - all quests are now done!

Will she be Bohdi-napped?
Yep. But getting her back will be slightly different from the Bioware norm.

Will her romance carry on in ToB?
Yes. Whether it will in V1, I don't know...but I fully intend to write a ToB portion.

Will there be a flirt pack?
Again, yes; PC and Fade initiated. There will also be a chance to further some specific LTs and find out more about her via triggered PC initiated talks. (Hopefully!!  :roll: )

Will she romance in the underdark?
Well...the normal LTs (as per Bioware) will be suspended, but there are some specific Underdark only LTs.

How many LTs are we talking?
Ummm...*quickly runs off to find all important purple notebook...* There are 20 Global 1 talks, and 15 Global 2s (only one Global 2 LT to go and I've written the lot up! :D )
UPDATE: All LTs are in the bag!

What's this 'Honeykitten' nonsense?
Me being silly and amusing myself. I have no excuse...

Who is Keita?
An old friend of Fades and a vital plot element!

Fades a silly name. Why did you call her that?
It's a nickname she picked up when she was younger. She's always been good with illusion and deception, so... Her real name is Kher'Tal Dlardrageth. She prefers Fade, though  :wink: .

Can she do tricks with her tail?
That would be telling.

What is it with the tail thing, anyway?
I like tails.

Is she voice acted?
Not yet. I dinnae have the technology. Nor the know-how. It's something I'll worry about later!

When will she be released?
Hopefully by Christmas, but this does depend on whether Real Life (tm) likes us!
UPDATE: The Christmas release looks feasible...fingers crossed!

EDITED 6/12/04

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 02:15:38 AM »
Quote from: "Xenshail"
What is her alignment?

Heh heh...ooops!  :oops:

She's Chaotic Neutral.

Elysia
xx

Quote from: "Rawne"
Hi! How do I know if the Fade is installed correctly? I met with Aran Linvail for the first time after paying the big bucks and there was no Fade there. Do I have to do his tasks first? I don't want to play more of the game only to find out I have to fix something and replay it to get Fade. BTW, the sample dialogue you gave in this forum looks great! She will probably be a great replacement for Nalia.

No, the only stipulation is that you've paid the 20000 (15000) gp - Aran introduces her after he hands over the necklace and ring (I saw your other post - I hope that helps! Its horrible when things won't work like that and you don't know why).

I hope you get her installed and she proves a worthy addition to your party! (and if you have any more problems, let us know :wink:  )

Elysia
xx

Quote from: "Culain Mainframe"
Can you take different paths through the romance? Something like a good path and an evil path?

Quote from: "nethrin"
actually, I thought she wouldn't arrive either, but in the middle of my conversation with linvail, she interjected as she should.  but she did not spawn in until she interjected.  just be patient.  the spawning is a bit delayed, is all, I think....

At certain points, you can try to tempt her back to her evil ways; warning, though, she will NOT like that, and if you push her too far she will break the romance off. There's no specific 'path', but you can get away with a quite a lot - the main key is not to outright insult her. When she tells you about Keita and her past, that is a time to take things very seriously.

I had originally planned to have a dedicated 'evil' romance path where the PC got to use her, but I found this waay too ambitious for a first time modder! She is not put off by an evil PC, though. The only thing that she will actively complain (and ultimately leave the party) about is if you deal in slaves (if you are a thief and take the stronghold).

Quote from: "nethrin"
actually, I thought she wouldn't arrive either, but in the middle of my conversation with linvail, she interjected as she should. but she did not spawn in until she interjected. just be patient. the spawning is a bit delayed, is all, I think....

That is very true! She won't appear until you'e spoken to Aran (she's...uuuhhh...hiding in shadows!). Aran literally introduces her to you.

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 02:15:57 AM »
Quote from: "Culain Mainframe"
At certain points, you can try to tempt her back to her evil ways; warning, though, she will NOT like that, and if you push her too far she will break the romance off. There's no specific 'path', but you can get away with a quite a lot - the main key is not to outright insult her. When she tells you about Keita and her past, that is a time to take things very seriously.

I had originally planned to have a dedicated 'evil' romance path where the PC got to use her, but I found this waay too ambitious for a first time modder! She is not put off by an evil PC, though. The only thing that she will actively complain (and ultimately leave the party) about is if you deal in slaves (if you are a thief and take the stronghold).

Will this evil path be one day written and added or is this to much?

It depends - it would mean writing another path (I'm finishing the friendship path at the moment for female PCs and non-romancing male PCs). My original idea was that she is so used to being treated badly she would put up with it to a point, and then snap. At this precise moment in time, I have no plans to write in a specifically evil romance, but since I can't leave anything alone for too long, never say never!

Quote from: "Moongaze"
Just wondering...does she ever get along with any of the Bioware NPC's? The banter's I've seen so far were a bit on the negative side (Anomen, Nalia) and I can see a similar thing happening with Keldorn and Mazzy. Just curious.... :roll:

Quote from: "Kain"
she does get along with imoen

;-) You'd be surprised with Keldorn...

She actually gets along with most of the NPCs - the one she actively HATES is Nalia (its the whole 'class and servants' thing). She just sees Anomen as a soft touch for some very cruel teasing (yes, she can be a bit horrible sometimes!). She does get along better with the more 'chaotic' NPCs (because she has more in common with them!), especially Imoen, Minsc and Jan. She does like to tease NPCs (heh heh, Valygar.... bless him!), but that  does not mean she always wins - not by a long stretch (Edwin and Viconia in particular are pretty nasty to her, actually!)

Quote from: "Moongaze"
LOL! Thank you. I will check it out, then. :roll:

Quote from: "Zethre"
I realise that the answer to this could be spoiler-ish, but could you give me a clue about when it would be safe to go to spellhold, without risking missing anything, eg the no. of the love talk, so I can look it up on shadowkeeper or something.

All of her area specific LTs have global 1 and global 2 responses (if applicable), so you won't miss anything from that perspective! (her responses do change, though).

However, she does only comment on the Slayer transformation once you've hit Global 2; conversely, there is a global 1 only mini-talk outside Deshariks home with the guard pirate  ;-)

Offline eocine

• MSN Messenger - If'n ya wanna know, just ask...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 06:08:25 PM »
I seem to have run into something of a problem with the romance at the moment, basically I went back to Aran to enlist the additional assassinal assistance (aliterative joy!), however he didn't give a Fade specific dialogue.

Sadly this was a LONG time ago as I've been tooling around doing Watchers Keep and so on since... Thus, no save from that time so I can't see if I can trigger it though repeated attempts.

It seems that now, in the absence of having that talk with Aran the Bodhi abduction won't happen. So my question is, what can I do? I do have shadowkeeper etc so if it's a simple matter of adding a Global Variable etc just tell me what it is and then all will be cool, if not then?... :|

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 12:03:51 AM »
That is... very strange! Bohdi should kidnap Fade no matter what (whether you have assistance or not - he makes no mention of Fade then). Its getting her back that's different.

I have to go to work now (arrggh! I can't be late again... checking messages in the morning always makes me late!) but I'll endeavour to solve this problem for you asap :-D

In the mean time - anyone come across anything similar?

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 09:03:23 AM »
He hee... walked into the staffroom just as the morning staff meeting was beginning! I must behave and start leaving the house on time...)

Okay - Bohdi-napping! Yes, there is a global variable that covers this - all Fades global prefixes begin with 'E3' (so "E3FADEVAMPIRE" is part of the Bohdi napping.). However, since Sil coded this (me just writing monkey!) she would know the exact trigger. The romance must be at global 2 as well (she's admitted her feelings for the PC).  

(There is a Bioware Bohdi buglet where Bohdi won't spawn - but I don't think thats relevant here!)

I'll have a word with the much more knowledgeable peeps around here though, just in case!

Offline eocine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 09:10:46 AM »
*Clicks fingers* Ah, no worries now, just checked and the fact you needed to be at lvl 2, kinda explains the reason zip happened...  :D

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 09:13:34 AM »
I wondered if this was the case - Bohdi only takes people (apart from Solaufein) if they're well and truly the PCs partner. As soon as she admits her feelings (you'll know when she does - she gets all tongue-tied and kind of screws it up...), she's yours and Bohdi'll take her. ;-)

Offline eocine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 09:15:37 AM »
Which oddly enough happened about five minutes ago...  :D

Offline Isaac

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 12:49:19 AM »
that reminds of all the traveling caused by Fade's little demonosity(so to say at least). Bodhi really know how to make things worse don't she?
Isaac - Lilly's apprentice in Silliness

Offline jcompton

• Level 1
    • ICQ Messenger - 132458288
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jasonpcompton
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jason_p_compton
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pocketplane.net
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 08:12:46 AM »
Since everybody's so terribly upset about the whole thing, maybe the FAQ should include an explanation of the whole Guarded Compound business. Since it's not explained and everybody's so terribly touchy thinking it's been explained and all.
"[A] number of Baldur's Gate II mods have been successfully produced. The best can be found at pocketplane.net." - PC Gamer UK

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 09:43:15 AM »
Fair point. The FAQ was actually written before the mod was beta'd - it was used a a standpoint for people to ask questions about the mod as I was writing it, and I haven't updated it.

ADDITION TO  FAQ AFTER BETA RELEASE

The Guarded Compound is temporarily locked for the moment - it becomes unlocked during Fades first quest. This is being amended for the actual proper V1 release.

Any questions in the future, just ask. I don't bite.  :)

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2005, 03:37:26 AM »
Amendment to FAQ.

This is a romance mod. The friendship track isn't finished, therefore the GC remains closed. Again, this is being rectified, but Real Life is once again having a horrible habit of slowing down Hobby progress. As soon as Silmarien and I get some time, we'll fix it. Until then - if you are playing the romance, the GC will open. If not, CLUAing in is fine - it won't ruin anything.

Offline Feanor

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2005, 05:34:20 AM »
Suggestion : you should warn players that, in ToB, if you kick Fade out of the party, she does not join back. When you try talking to her, she has nothing to say. You have to ctrl+q her.
Real sucks, Barca rules !

I like Real only when it plays in Segunda Division !

It is said that Mount Celestia is a place of perfection. None else than Saerileth could have been the symbol of its splendor.

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2005, 05:37:54 AM »
*nods* Good point.  That's because she doesn't have anything coded up to allow her to re-join in ToB because her ToB section hasn't been finished yet - Fade is literally a 'walks about, hits stuff and does class things' NPC in ToB at the moment.