Author Topic: Getting my feet wet...  (Read 6967 times)

Offline Jidokwon

• View Profile
Getting my feet wet...
« on: April 05, 2014, 05:27:29 PM »
Good day.  I'm a long time player of the IE games and I've recently added BGEE and BG2EE to my library.  I'd like to start modding, but Near Infinity is the only tool I've really used.  That said, it's still pretty useful and I've learned a lot in the little time I've spent with it.  I'd like to make a couple mods that sound fairly simple to make:

1- Improved thieving.  I've always hated how sneak and find traps drops every time you make an action.  I'd like to make it so that these abilities don't drop outside of combat and spell casting.  If it's possible to change the default difficulty settings, I'd like to add a chance for them to drop on harder settings.

2- Improved difficulty settings.  One of the things I had heard about the EE versions was that they were going to have more difficulty settings.  This was untrue.  I'd like to make changes to current difficulty settings and add a few more (if adding is possible).

3- Customized "New Game" features for BG2EE.  Basically, I'd like to make each "New Game" start with a character that would be equal to one that has run through BGEE.  161000 experience, tomes and manuals, golden pantaloons, Drizzt's armor and weapons, you get the idea.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could tell me how I can make these things happen.  Will Near Infinity alone be enough to accomplish everything?  Is everything listed above even possible?  In the meantime, I'll be looking through some of the guides and tutorials here and elsewhere.  Thanks again.

Offline Solaufein

• Lord of the Realms
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
  • Man against the Machine
    • ICQ Messenger - 251194643
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - gscott7833
    • View Profile
    • http://teambg.net
Re: Getting my feet wet...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 11:46:32 PM »
I think a lot of that stuff is hard coded into the game. Many years ago someone made a "Heart of Fury" mod for one of the BG games. I don't remember if it was BG1 or BG2. This was a mod that gave the option to make it real hard like the Icewind Dale Heart of Fury mode. If you can find this old mod, you could look it over and see how the designer made it possible.
My mods:
Dark Horizons
The Undying
Nikita
IWD2 store

Co-contributor:
Dark Side of the Sword Coast BG1 Weidu
Aurils Bane
Encounters
Saerileth
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Offline Solaufein

• Lord of the Realms
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
  • Man against the Machine
    • ICQ Messenger - 251194643
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - gscott7833
    • View Profile
    • http://teambg.net
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 11:51:46 PM »
It was a BG2 mod. Found here: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG/index_mods2.php Heart of Fury Mode by Tioma
My mods:
Dark Horizons
The Undying
Nikita
IWD2 store

Co-contributor:
Dark Side of the Sword Coast BG1 Weidu
Aurils Bane
Encounters
Saerileth
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Offline Jidokwon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 06:36:37 PM »
Thanks for the reply and link.  I'll be sure to look that one over.  I think the 3rd request would probably be the easiest for me to work on.  There are a number of difficulty mods out there, but I was hoping the default settings were in a 2da file or something that I was missing.  Same goes for the thieving, but, no doubt, you're correct in them being hard coded.  I think for customizing a new game, I'll have to change the starting experience to 161000 in a 2da file, then add the tomes, manuals, golden pantaloons, Drizzt's gear, and such via the new game script in area 602.  I think they're making some other flags from BGEE relevant in BG2EE in an upcoming patch.  Ideally, I'd like to mod it so one can create a new BG2EE character and game that would be the same as an imported character.  Thanks again.