Author Topic: Saerileth Romance (BG2)  (Read 9085 times)

Offline Amy

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
Saerileth Romance (BG2)
« on: August 12, 2010, 12:59:16 PM »
By: SuperNovice
Saerileth NPC Mod
Version: 13
Review first posted on: 5/20/06
Review updated:
Mod download location: http://mods.chosenofmystra.net/saerileth/
Download size: 26 MB

Overview:
Saerileth is a 15-year-old human paladin of Tyr. She hails from Mount Celestia in the Outer Planes. She is young, romanceable (for good-aligned humans, elves, and half-elves), and beautiful. She is complete through ToB, and she has quests and a flirt/chatpack. She brings with her three new areas for SoA, two SoA quests, and a ToB quest. Saerileth is a young woman of deep religious conviction and certainty. She has extensive voicing, banters, and interjections. And Saerileth will love you like no other. We hope you will play her mod repeatedly.

First Thoughts:
There isn‚??t really too much to say here. This is a WEIDU mod so the install was painless. It‚??s a bit longer than a standard NPC mod but that‚??s to be expected when loading new zones. It‚??s hardly excessive in any case. Her Readme is pretty standard fare. It contains a few game play tips related to the mod as well as a version and fix history. Overall, pretty standard and about what I‚??d expect.

There is one major item worth noting in her Readme file. It‚??s clear that Saerileth is not a BG2 paladin. She is definitely based upon the Forgotten Realms PnP standard. For those unfamiliar with the PnP rules, paladins are more than simply ‚??slightly better than the average person‚?? good. They strive to be good personified. Even a single evil act, knowingly committed, is enough to jeopardize a paladin‚??s status. Personally, I prefer those rules for paladins as it makes them into the rare and heroic figures they are meant to be. And it leaves me interested to see how they will pull that off given the BG2 storyline.

Storyline and Characterization
One of the first things that struck me in this area is that, despite her strong personality, I never had the feeling that she was taking over the spotlight. While there are a large number of character building banters, these are balanced against a number that put the spotlight back on the PC. This is an interesting, and potentially risky tactic as, if done poorly, the character can easily come across as judgmental and domineering. Fortunately, it‚??s handled very well and the nature of her questions reveals a great deal about who she is without stealing the show.

Another thing about this character that stands out immediately is that she is truly exceptional in her own right. Aside from her other-planar birth, she is a Chosen of Tyr. In the D&D universe, this is the equivalent of being the favored of a god and commonly results in ascension to Deva or Avatar status for those that survive. Additionally, she is remarkably competent and self-confident. All of this alone would be noteworthy but she is also very young to have achieved so much. I believe this is the effect her creators were going for in setting her age at 15. Whatever the reason, it left with the impression of someone touched by fate and an appropriate companion for a child of prophecy.

As to her actual personality, she is deeply religious and is unafraid to voice and act upon her opinions. This does not mean you will find yourself being dragged along by her choices. In general, she‚??ll voice her opinion then live by your decision but be warned, there are exceptions to this. Some things paladins just won‚??t do. She is also true to her word and she will leave if you stray too far from the ‚??good‚?? path and again, being patterned upon the PnP standard, she is nowhere near as forgiving as Keldorn. A nice added touch here is the attention to detail shown in her reaction to various items, both good and evil.

As mentioned in the introduction, she is a romancable character. For those of you used to Bioware romances, this character will be a definite change. First, her romance is definitely a ‚??love at first sight‚?? story. Second, she does not come with loads of emotional baggage. She is confident and capable in her own right and the romance proceeds as a union of equals. This is as opposed to the BG2 standard in which the PC (despite his truly terrible situation) is forced to coddle and support his partner through their emotional dramas. Another notable difference with this mod is found in the character of her relationship with the PC. The romance is passionate without being sexual. It‚??s clear that the PC and Saerileth are deeply in love but the relationship is completely chaste until ToB. Even then, any sexuality is only hinted at and never overt. It‚??s a very well done and welcome change that only added to my enjoyment of the mod.

Given the limited space available in writing a short review, I‚??m really not able to do justice to her character. Of all the various NPC mods I‚??ve played over the years, I‚??ve found this character to be easily among my favorites. The attention to the small details that give her depth and make her believable is truly incredible. She is, in my opinion, a rival for Kelsey and Valen in terms of both storyline and character.

Game play and Balance
Despite her storyline and background, don‚??t expect to get an exceptionally overpowered NPC. She is powerful by virtue of being a cavalier but she gains no special abilities beyond that. By the same token, her gear is mostly unremarkable. She comes with an unremovable holy symbol that acts as a helm with permanent Protection from Evil. Beyond that, she has no special gear or abilities.

There are two things that are going to stand out to players here:

First, this mod introduces a third, more paladin- and good PC-friendly method of getting to Spellhold. For this reason alone, I will always install this mod. I always hated the choice between allying with the Thieves‚?? Guild or Bodhi. This mod adds a third option that allows you to get there through allying with the Radiant Heart. Of course, you‚??ll need to do something appropriately heroic before you are offered that choice but it‚??s not difficult to find. Simply pursue the quests you receive from them and you‚??ll be given the option.

Second, her quest leads you to a number of newly created zones. Combat in these new areas is nearly non-existent but they are fully populated with NPCs and contain at least one shop you should visit. The design of the zones is well-done and well-integrated. They could easily pass as a part of the unmodded game. The existence of the zones alone would have been exceptional in my opinion. The fact that they are so well done is the proverbial ‚??icing on the cake.‚?? These zones were a very nice surprise and are yet another indication of the effort put into this mod‚??s creation.

I do have a minor complaint in this area. The main enemy in Saerileth‚??s SoA quest is WAY too hard if you get this quest early. This isn‚??t really a big deal on its own but you aren‚??t given a choice. The quest starts on its own and once the quest starts, you must beat him to complete it. Given the length of her storyline, you really should pick her up very early‚?¶which means you‚??ll probably be too weak to beat this guy. Fortunately, you receive some help in the form on an unkillable NPC who can beat the enemy by himself but I would have preferred to be a bit more involved.

Final Thoughts
This mod is a definite ‚??must play‚??. From beginning to end, this mod maintains a commitment to delivering a believable and playable NPC. There are loads of small details throughout the game that left me with a clear vision of a fully-developed and in-depth character. It‚??s that attention to detail which sets the truly exceptional apart from the merely good.

Most mods get specific aspects correct but, so far, I‚??ve only played one other mod which got the complete package right. It‚??s for that reason that I put Saerileth at the top of the list, next to Kelsey, on my list of favorite mods.

Rating: 10/10

Source

Offline Amy

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
Re: Saerileth Romance (BG2)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 01:25:16 PM »
Saerileth is a 15-year old human girl cavalier. You can download her here, but be warned it‚??s a big download (almost 27 MB): Saerileth Mod
Saerileth requires that the male romance partner have a 16+ charisma and not be evil. You don‚??t have to romance her if you object to her age. She is a poor choice for power players. Her stats and equipment are mediocre at best. Most of the fighter NPCs are better fighters than her. As a power player, I would definitely choose Keldorn over her. I usually do minor adjustments to her stats and proficiencies, and change her to an inquisitor myself. Saerileth has a wealth of dialogues, love talks, and some extra adventures that come with her.

The bad: She is not a powerful character. The voice seems to speak in Old English with an unclear accent. I had trouble really understanding what she was saying until listening to the voice a while. Hooking up my AKG K701 headphones helped too. She is 15 ‚?? at least some would consider this in poor taste. The authors actually play off the contention they know that romance with a 15 year old may bring (through NPC interaction). My wife‚??s aunt was married around 45 years ago as a 15 year old and the marriage has been a happy one from all accounts. Marriage at 15 is still not unusual in some cultures and was fairly common in medieval times. As far as I‚??m concerned, the maturity of the individuals involved is of greater concern than gross generalizations/condemnations. However, you are not required to romance her. Love at first sight (a possibility) and sugary romance dialogue will not appeal to everyone. The authors did a great job in describing her as an exceptional case. I think it would have been clearer to call her an Aasimar to me. The authors describe her as a human born in the outer planes, chosen by Tyr himself. The diety had sent her to seek out the PC. I don‚??t think it is too far a reach that Tyr might also reveal to the child that the PC is destined to be her husband. The sugary dialogue reminds me of an infatuated girl or perhaps an oracle. It doesn‚??t seem right that a 15 year old girl can be a mighty demon slayer. It‚??s amusing that the authors say Tyr never wanted her to cut her hair, paralleling Samson, the strongest man in the Bible. Still, her strength is only 16. So, after full plate, a shield, and a weapon, she is pretty much encumbered. Her encounter brings in a devil that does something cheesy. This can happen at relatively low level, in which case you will probably have to use what I consider a cheesy tactic to win that battle. There‚??s another significant bad trait of her in regards to powergaming. She sometimes is insistent upon following lawful good actions. She will disapprove of some courses you may want to take. Also, she will leave if you become evil. Some of the best Bhaal powers are rewards of the evil alignment. I‚??m wondering if the helm of opposite alignment may help‚?¶

The good (for some): The sugary dialogue. Wouldn‚??t it be wonderful if husband and wife loved each other more than they did themself. Wouldn‚??t it be nice if there seemed to be a competition who could do and say the most to demonstrate their love? Of course, that scenario is no more real than a dragon. I‚??ve heard that 4-5/10 couples that marry will divorce in the United States. And it seems to me there are many other couples who are unhappily married. That‚??s the truth, and it brings a tear. I prefer the ‚??lie‚?Ě that brings a smile. But to each his own.

I feel like there will be many people who love this character and many who hate it with few in the middle.

Source

Offline Amy

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 01:28:32 PM »
I've gone back to playing BG2 in my free time lately, and like many other's who have played it for years, I've explored the character mods. I don't have any of the tactics mods and very few of the quest mods in (all I can recall is the G3 anniversary mod). Now I'd like to add my brief opinion on some of the character mods I've played or am playing.

I'll start with Saerileth, since she's been mentioned here already.

If I met her in real life, I would run away screaming in a couple of days, but for some reason, my character loved her. I found it annoying that her personal philosophy was to be hopelessly devoted to CHARNAME so long as he did exactly what she wanted him to do.

She does, however, stay true to her character. She is a very good Paladin (character-wise), and pretty good in a fight.

One of her SoA quests was very well written and played out. The kidnapping quest, on the other hand, was pretty much impossible for my party to handle at the time it happened. I really don't like quests that requre a certain level of cheese to get past in the first place, and to the best of my knowledge, that quest was one of those.

I would heartily reccommend Saerilith to a party which wants to take the good way through the game, since she does offer a good way to get past the early game rather than the usual "evil" or "very evil" methods. She is easy to get along with and while she's preachy, she isn't annoyingly so (in my eyes).

I've also played (recently) Amber, Chloe, Keto, Valen, Yasraena and Kelsey, and I have opinions on all of them.

Source

Offline Amy

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 01:39:47 PM »
Hello all, Im Midnight and I recently dusted off my copy of BG2 and Tob and gave them another go around. I was pleasantly surprised that this game of old still has a dedicated following, with tons of good (and not so good) mods to support it-This review focuses on one of my favortite NPC mods-Saerileth. Without preamble, let us dive right in. First off, this mod is professionally written quality-with a good portrait, music, dialogue, banters and flirts. The charector Saerileth is a 15 year old girl from the planes, sent on a mission to aid you and follow you around as she hunts for a celestial criminal. She isnt overpowered(very low str and con) and isnt set up skill wise initially to handle Carsomyr if you plan on using it. She presents some pros and cons right off. The biggest for most gamers (and the one that makes this a riskee mod) is she is 15 years old-if you plan on a romance and that bothers you, dont use this mod. That said, she is remarkably mature for a 15year old(more than most girls i know twice her age). If you can remember that its a game and from her culture that is the age that girls begin to get married-knock yourself out. She will talk to you -alot- too; if you dont like chatty npcs, dont run with her. She will follow your lead mostly, but she will keep you on the stright and narrow -hello! paladin here! Cross those lines and she walks. Ive tried several npc mods over the last 2-3 months and Saerileth is remarkably well written, with very few bugs ive found. She comes with some cross banter options for other npc mods, has some good interactions with the vanillia npcs (trust me, Viconia and Saerileth will NOT like each other), and in general will greatly enhance your game. Her quests in TOB are kinda light, but if you followed her romance, you and she will be discussing the future alot(kids, living locations, etc). I think she could use some better ToB content, diffinetly some more banters with the other group members some. But if your looking for a top quality npc mod and can enjoy working with one that defines the essence of a lawful good npc, than I highly reccommend you give this mod a try. Im currently giving it a second run to shake down any bugs, and the only major one ive coming across is the 2 stat books you get as a reward after killing demogorgon in watchers keep dont seem to work. In answer to that, just createitem book 07 and 08 and you can circumvent this for now till they fix it.
Im also reviewing Fade, Kelsey, and Keto next month, if your interested in catching my review then, even though im sure they have tons of reviews atm, just adding my 2 cents. Tilll then kids, Excelsior! -Midnight, mod reviewer

Source

Offline Amy

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 02:37:28 PM »
SAERILETH : 9/10

Saerileth is a lawful good paladin chosen of Tyr, born on Mount Celestia and dwelt in Sigil as well, who was sent on a holy quest for the church of Tyr.

Balance
She comes with normal equipment, without anything extremely powerful. While there no problems for the gameplay, the logic of the character would require a more powerful weapon : Chosens are the mortal generals of a god and so it would be expected for Saerileth to be better equipped.
In regard to her power, she is extremely balanced and her stats fit perfectly on the character. Yes, there could be said that her Con is low, but, in my opinion, the stats should match the NPC's background and not to be copied from Achilles' biography.

The romance
This is a mod which focuses especially on the relationship between the PC and Saerileth. It has some quests, but all of them can be accounted as minor in comparison with the romance. Unlike the Bioware npc's, she does not come with a trauma from her past and so she does not need therapy. She needs only the PC's love. The mod offers a far better alternative than Aerie for a sweet/romantic relationship.
The romance is extremely well made, bringing the notion of romantic dedication to its highest peak. In fact, this is a mod where the players have come to care so deeply for their NPC companion that her advises guide the path they choose in the game, including the ending. Her age, 15, can be seen as an impediment for a relationship by some players, but, at least in my opinion, it is something normal for the fantasy world where the plot of BG2 takes place. She does not act childish (far more mature than Aerie anyway) and, although she seems sometimes a little bit naive, this is extremely logical for a person (no matter if he/she is 15 or 100) who has no experience on the Prime Material Plane at all. If the authors would motivate Tyr's decision to send her into active service at such a tender age, all would be perfect.
One particularity of this mod is that Saerileth is more involved in the PC's choices than any other romanceable NPC. She does not make any compromises about her principles (which is again extremely logical for a paladin) and she would strongly object to any evil act, even by destroying some evil items like Soul Reaver for instance. She is willing to even abandon Charname's company, a choice which makes perfect sense, because, in such cases, for paladins is preferable to achieve their goals alone rather than working with evil partners.

Friendship track

The mod has also a friendship track for those PC's who do not meet the requirement. One very rich in content. In this case, Charname will be only Saerileth's brother-in-arms and he will see Saerileth finding her love beside another Chosen of Tyr, Edorem. As a main piece of this mod, playing a crucial role in the romance, I will refer to him as well. Edorem is well-written for the romance between Saerileth and Charname, but he is not very convincing when plays the role of the winner. We know why he lost. But we do not know why he won. All the paths possible in this mod do not give him a very good report, depicting him with tendencies of a Fallen Paladin (two of them) and he acts superior all the time (even with Saerileth). The image of the character is more likely to suggest that Saerileth made a poor choice in him rather than the opposite.

The Quest
The main quest is a little bit problematic. At first sight, her mission seems very clear, but I always had the feeling that there is more to her quest than it is openly told. If it was intentional or a mistake from the authors, I cannot tell. It raises one question, but it can be easily explained (far more easy than the Bioware's plot, anyway).

The dialogs

The style of old William Shakespeare is obvious in them. Both Nethrin and Sillara are specialists in Shakespeare's work and this influences the mod in a very good way. With this, the depth of the character is ensured not only by her personality traits, but also by her particularities of speaking. The language of the 16-th century fits excellently into the atmosphere of Forgotten Realms and the immersion becomes more profound.

Technical implementation
The mod has no bugs which could prevent the gameplay (at least I did not stumbled upon any). The voicing is well done. Sometimes it sounds more mature than it should for the NPC's age, but this is only a minor thing.The portrait is probably the most beautiful I've ever seen. It make the other look pale.

Originality
At this, the mod scores high again. The way the romance starts and develops, the conflict which could appear, the NPC's attitude towards the PC, all bring a fresh air on the modding scene. Even more, the mod has additional banters in regard of PC's class (which the original romance don't have) and race (including a different epilogue for an elf PC in v7).

After saying so nice words about this mod, why did it receive only 9 ? Well, there is a problem. The PC needs 16 Charisma to romance her. While, in regard of the character's background, this is understandable and the authors have excellently motivated their decision, it goes against the game's ethics (not to speak of the fact that charisma is extremely confusing - it is questionable if it can be used to measure romantic attractiveness or only how good is a character as a leader). The BG2 romances are definetely not conceived for stats requirements, since there are so many ways to alter your original stats. The authors found a way to ensure that the PC can romance her only if he has an original Cha of 16 or more, but there are some other possible problems, so the mod looses one point for this. Since the engine cannot handle stats requirements in romances, the drawback was innevitable.
Also, there is another thing. Saerileth's personality in the two possible romances from the mod (Saerileth/Charname and Saerileth/Edorem) is different from one to another. When questioned about it, Sillara claimed the mod tells 2 possible stories : if Charname is charming enough to attract Saerileth, then it will be the love between him and Saerileth. If not, she will fall in love with another young paladin of Tyr, who is Charname's rival, called Edorem. But what is so unusual about this ? Many mods and games have such alternative paths. Well, it's the fact that those 2 stories have 2 different starting points : Saerileth who romances Charname is not the same Saerileth who romances Edorem - not in terms of personality, nor the background. The first one had no feelings for Edorem, the second was already attracted to him when she comes to the Prime. The first is straightforward and has no doubts, the second is more shy and still undecided. More mature the first, more childish the second. This is an unusual approach and, for me, seems a little bit strange. But maybe I will get used with it.

Offline Amy

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 02:37:46 PM »
Calemyr's review

Rate : 9/10

"First off, I want to congratulate both of you on a superb NPC mod. I love NPC mods in general, as they furthur one of the best parts of this old game - the sheer variety of faces and experiences it has to offer.

I've played over of a dozen of these in my time. Some of them, like Valen and Solaufein, didn't really catch me well - they didn't seem to be NPCs in the true sense of the term (for this game at least). Others, like Kelsey and Keto, have really felt like part of the game and made it all the more fulfilling (Kelsey, for instance, has always been in my party since I first tried his mod). Your girl Saerileth is definitely on the top end of the spectrum in this regard, a real part of the world and a joy to have around.

And then there's the romance. Sweet, merciful Tyr, the romance. Do you have any idea how long I've been looking for something like this? I'm not a therapist, I'm not a counsellor, I'm a monk, dang it! I'm sick of dealing with Aerie's wing-complex, Jahaera's fears of losing another love, or Vicconia's struggle to understand that there might actually be ONE person on the surface who is actually looking out for her. It is so refreshing that Saerileth doesn't bring so much baggage with her, that she doesn't have an psychological problems (well, her god talks to her, but then that's hardly a surprise). You don't have to "win" her, you don't have to jump through hoops to catch her eye. You simply need to be the kind of person she can respect. And speaking of respect, you have mine for the whole "chaste relationship" thing: I really think you did things right. My only real problem with the whole thing is the age issue - five years may not be much among adults, but between 15 and 20, it might as well be 50 years. Still, you gave me a chance to prove that my monk wasn't a pedifile, and that's good.

I do have a few things I'd like to suggest - I don't know if some of them are viable or not, but I feel I need to voice them all the same.

Saerileth's Voice: Don't get me wrong, I like it. It fits: quiet, controlled, and demure, and the accent is great. I just wish there was a little more strength behind it. She's one of the Chosen of the god of Justice, and she proves again and again to be a warrior without peer (save my monk). I don't want her attitude to change in the slightest, I just wish she had more breath in those lungs. Even a wimp like Aerie clear, strong voice.

Stats: Saerileth's stats are a little short in the physical side, which I suppose makes sense given her age. Still, it's a little irritating that a paladin who refuses to fight at range on principle would be so hampered. Strength and Dex are fine in that regard, as they can be altered with the proper gear, but her tiara makes it impossible to do anything for her Constitution. If a non-head item could be found to boost it, that would be nice (her ring, perhaps, though that might make it far too powerful).

Axes: Just a minor point, but axes are allowed for a Cavellier and several of the best at any time are throwing weapons (along with daggers). Saerileth has commentary on a lot of items placed in her inventory, so perhaps she should refuse to accept weapons like the Azure Axe or Firetooth, either dropping them on the floor or handing them to Charname. Not a big deal, but I felt really guilty when I learned her rationale for not using bows while she was carrying the Azure Axe.

Flirting: I really don't know if this is at all possible in this game, but it seems like it should almost be a necessity in this romance. Is it possible to allow Saerileth to initiate flirts? Not the random ones the pop up on occassion like lovetalks, but clicking the paladin, the talk button, and then Charname, and then flirting with him the way he does with her. I know it'd be tricky, to say the least, and that Charname's dialogue would be mostly action and intention rather than words, but it seems like that would really be nice touch. Even better if you consider the possibility that in multi-player, a real life couple might have split control of the pair. Well, I'm sure this would be horribly tricky on the upside, downright impossible on the downside, but it'd be sweet, no?

Edorem: Now, I understand his role in the Shadows of Amn part - the self-proclaimed rival for Saeri's love and the instigator of some critical moments in the relationship, but what of Edorem in ToB? The Wraith tortures the girl with claims of his pain, but he never returns at all, even if he is shown the error of his ways and departs peacefully from that Charisma debacle. We're never told what happened to him, and the question just hung, not even resolved in the ending. If Edorem is spared, could it be possible for him to return after Yaga-sura's demise to congratulate her, and to thank Charname for being true to her? It's just cruel to leave that doubt eating at her, isn't it?

The Saeri mod is a solid, enjoyable mod with a real breath of fresh air in terms of the romance. (The only complaint I have any more is that I still wish she had a stronger voice - the gentle whisper may fit her personality, but it still keeps her from fitting in with the BioWare cast, of whom even the most incoherrent - such as Edwin, Jan, or Yakman - speak their lines with a strong, clear voice.)

Anyway, that's what I walked away with after one of the most interesting BG2 campaigns I think I've ever played. Your work was superb, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks again."

Offline Amy

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 02:38:09 PM »
Hiya, I'm just done with the Saerileth mod, this mod keep me stick to the comp longer then any other mod, longer then even the original game when I first got it. I beat it in 4 days from SOA to TOB, not because I was rush, but this mod keeps putting me back at my chair whenever I have some spare time. Great god. :? So as a way to thank the people who made the mod, I would like to share just a bit of my thought on the mod.

* The good thing:

- This mod probably have almost everything a romance mod needs and a game need: fun, insight, compelling ... and most of all, passion. Yes, Passion!!

+ Passion, IMO, is probably the most important thing to a romance, and strangely also one of the thing that most romance in RPG lacks, and I apply this to all other game, even those of the Final Fantasy series. Most game successfully deliever a romance that can be very romantic, however I don't know why they always miss to attach a passionate feeling to the romance. This is a shining point of the mod, and of which I enjoyed the most.

+ Maybe (just my guest) this is the reason why the creators decide to have Saerileth at 15 years of age. Maybe it's her devotion that created the passion. And maybe only such a young person can give such devotion so willingly, so innocent but yet not ignorance, blind to love but not to knowledge.

- The dialogue is well crafted and well meaning. Back to the time I was still in school where I had to learn the old English literature, I grew a distaste for Shakeasper's writting. I declared "this is not English". However, I admit the dialogue of this mod changed that. I was so please with it that I tried to understand all of them. And here am I, although I already graduated for sometime now I sent my old teacher an email, ask for him some translation of certain words and phrases. Knowing my distaste for this writting his first reply was "this is odd , you used to hate this with a passion, finally meet a girl of your choice?". ----- "Nah, just a piece of writting that will make me feel stupid not understand fully dear teacher". It's just that good. :thumbsup:

- They say Quantity and Quality usually do not go together. I'm glad to say this mod is an exception. It delievered both. I already talk about the part of Quantity, and yet, those come in number. Saerileth has the insight and her own thought on almost every quests, event. (in SOA at least). And those enrich Saerileth's image. Most of the time, a game just present a character, Saerileth moves one step further, her character is not only presented, but also defined through her action. This give her something unique, something that wil leave a memory to the mind. And it breath a new air into the game in general.

- In fact, the impression on Saerileth is too strong that I hardly think anyone can be mean or deny her in the game. Despite my hectic personality I always prefer to play as a nice guy, and I always like Aerie's romance the best. Even that, sometime I must say Aerie pulled my nerves and I had to be mean, and don't feel bad about it. As for Saerileth, I tend to keep a save for all the love talk so I can go through all of the options, including the mean one. The results, most of the time, make me say "what a moron". Yep, I say that myself to my character even I was the one who chose it. :tear:

* Hiccup. (I don't say these are bad parts of the mod, because I believe it's down to Personal Opinion).

- The voice: I don't say it's a bad voice, comparing to some of the recent JRPG I play lately it has the better. However, it doesn't seem fix to me. Saerileth is a 15 years old girl, innocent and passionate, and her voice should reflect such characteristic. Her current voice is too deep, emotional but lack of passion.

- The course of the romance: now this is not an issue about the length between TOB and SOA (I'll bring it up later). It seems to me that the Romance is finished in SOA. It's stalled, or develope no further in TOB. There are about over a dozen lovetalk in TOB for granted, however, they doesn't seem to add much to the romance like in TOB. Maybe because SOA handled the romance too good and left no space for TOB? Or is it because now they're already marriage? This reminds me of a song in my country, temporary translate a phrase into English "Love is only beautiful when the flower was still a bud, life is less happy after the flower flourished" . To me, you finished SOA, you get 80% of what you can get out of the romance. :|

- I understand that the length of TOB is a problem. It's shorter then SOA, and adding any more floating lovetalk will force the player to stretch the game unreasonable longer (like the one you have to wait for Aerie's birth). However, I still see lots of empty space that can be filled with achored lovetalk. Like each time after you kill one of the five, or each time you finish a trial, some additions that can make the romance grow at those points will be nice, I think.

- Finally, it's the ending. It's too typical. The whole mod is very original comparing to the official romances or even to those of other games, but the ending is too typical I think. IMHO, the ending would be better without the part of "the 2 battle evil for a long time". It'll be better if they return to Saerileth's home right away and the ending tell a little more about their life there, like how the charname is appriciated at her home, how her family reacts to hi, how they carry out their life ....etc...

That's all, it's a great mod, greatest one I have played so far, may be even better the official at some points. I spend 4 days trying to finish it none stop and I don't regret any minutes I spend although this is the 9th time I beat BGII. My thanks to the people who created the mod, nethrin and Sillara I take it, for a very well done mod and all the afford you have been putting into it. This is something for the BGII's community to treasure

Offline Amy

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 02:38:32 PM »
Just wanted to give my appreciation to those who have created this mod, it's truly fantastic!

I've played through BG2 more times than I can count now, but I never found any interest in trying other NPC's than those Bioware had created, simply because my interest wasn't caught by any of the NPC's out there. But I needed a paladin in my group, and was terribly bored with Keldorn, so I thought I'd try Saerileth. Good choice, it seems smile

She has a well-developed personality, and romancing her has been more fun that it ever was with the Bioware NPC's, though my eyes certainly widened when I found out about her age eek

But, all in all, this must be one of the best mods for BG2 that I've ever tried, especially because I enjoyed the quests that came with her. Also, I've never played through a more bugless mod, ever. Every time I thought a bug was coming, it soon turned out to be a slight mistake, like the slow spawn-time of Mon, and only shortened my gaming time with about 2 mins. The only thing I've had real problems with in terms of questing, is that my party of level 10'ers and 11'ers had a very difficult time of disposing of the devil that captured her, without being allowed to cast spells.

And,

The only real bug I've encountered so far, is that when I killed Bodhi, and Saerileth turned into the ghost-vampire thingy, she was both a ghost, and a duplicate of her remained in my party. "That's it" I thought, "Romance-stopping bug". But nope, after dealing with the Deva, the romance continued as it were before.

After writing this enourmsly long post (you must excuse me, but it's late in Denmark, and I'm drinking too much coffee) I'll stop here. I just thought I'd give my praises to the creators.

Thank you for a fantastic mod.

- Grunker

Offline Amy

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 02:39:40 PM »
I just finished SoA last night and have to say that Saerileth is definately one of the best mods I've played.

Powergaming stuff: I liked Saeri's stats. They were high enough for her to be viable but not high enough for her to be a combat god. It made her development as a fighter easy to see. She required some shepherding early on, but really came into her own with some enhancing items and Carsomyr. I was less taken with her starting level. I know she's from a different plane, but it seemed wierd that a 15-year-old girl would have more experience than Charname. Not a major criticism, just a little nitpick.

Story: Saeri's quest is original, well developed and brings in unique areas and interesting NPCs. Everything made sense (though the early dragon fight was bracing at least it gave Aerie something to brag about). Very nicely done. Most importantly, it flows naturally from the character. I think the trend towards wacky backgrounds and extra-planar origins has gone a bit too far, but it would be unfair to hold that against this particular work.

I can not thank you enough for putting in a new path to Spellhold. Finally Charname didn't have to decide between slimy thieves or murderous vampires.

Character stuff: This is where the mod really shines. Saeri's personality is great. Like a real person, she's complex - sometimes showing "girlish" enthusiasm and other times steely determination. And she's not carrying enough baggage to keep the American Psychiatric Association employed for the next twenty years (I like the bioware women, but they do wear sometimes).

You also managed to do something that is almost unheard of in a game - you created a religious character that is both very religious and also likeable. CRPGs (and pen-and-paper D&D for that matter) are full of clerics and paladins whose only mark of religion is that they cast spells. Not so with Saerileth. Her devotion to Tyr is prevelant from the first meeting. And it really is devotion, not dull duty. Her talking about Tyr is also handled well. She doesn't bash people over the head, she's just enthusiastic about Tyr and loves to talk about him.

Techinical stuff: The mod installed fine and played fine. There was only one minor hiccup (Saeri not being kidnapped because she moved too quickly after the Bodhi speech) which was quickly solved by this board (thanks!). Other than that, everything worked perfectly.

Congratulations on making a fantastic Mod!

I'm going to take a break from BG2 to try Tutu for a while, but after that I'm going to see if Saeri can make the slogfest known as Throne of Bhaal enjoyable.

Offline Amy

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 02:40:13 PM »
Just finished Saerileth through ToB; here's my review:

What I liked:

* LOTS of work obviously went into this mod.  I appreciated (for the most part; see below) the many different quests the mod provides, especially the far-too-short trip to Sigil.  Also, the detail and care that went into crafting Saeri's character was evident: she fit into the game extremely well.

* Saeri's portrait is BEAUTIFUL.

* She's a good fighter: not extraordinarily powerful or pitifully weak.  She needs no more care than the average NPC when it comes to picking armor or weapons.

* Her dialogues are all in character, and add levels to the game.  I particularly enjoyed her banter with Yoshimo ("I am skilled in avoidance").  Her flirts are similarly interesting, if a bit too tame (I really found it hard to muster any enthusiasm for the response to "What's your favorite play?"     )

* I experienced no bugs at all.   

What I Didn't Like:

* Things move a little too fast.  I can buy the "falling in love at first sight" bit...in fact, I found it refreshing and interesting.  However, unless you're picking her up well into Chapter 2, you're not ready to fight a dragon, even one that you can take most of the bite from by stocking up on Potions of Freedom.  And the awkward positioning of said dragon prevents you from performing a few quests in Umar Hills until you get rid of him.  And then there's:

* The devil guy.  WAY too hard for a low-level party.  While the quest itself is interesting, it should be timed to occur much later in the relationship, when the characters have had a chance to build some XP.

* She's a little TOO chatty.  I experienced this with the excellent Nathaniel mod as well... apparently, Lawful Good characters just can't seem to resist putting their two cents in with any discussion      I didn't find Saeri's devotion to Tyr TOO annoying, but she did lean more towards the bossy side of helpful on many occasions.  Just personal preference, and the main reason I'm not a big fan of Paladins in general (although, for a Paladin, Saeri wasn't too bad    )

* Her voice is quite monotone.  I liked the accent (very exotic), but her voice was very flat and emotionless; not at all in keeping with her written dialogue.  Also, it sounded like it was recorded underwater, which I can only imagine is a necessary evil when you're creating a mod without access to Bioware's state of the art sound equipment.  :-(

* There's not much build-up to the major events.  I don't know if I just didn't get all the dialogue I should have, but it's especially noticeable when the devil comes for her: Edorem just pops out of nowhere, with no previous mention, and wisks you off to save her.  Having her mention him prior to this event would have been nice.  The rest of that storyline is similarly jerky: he shows up every now and then to glare at the PC, but she makes little mention of him between those times, until he's gone for good, at which point, she has LOTS to say about him.

* Her wedding ring was EXTREMELY hard to put on her finger.  I mean, it took many, many clicks before I could find just the right spot on her ring slot to have her wear it.  Although, I must say, the ring itself was a nice touch.

* Her holy symbol is placed MOST disadvantageously (is that even a word?  :?  ).  With all the great helmets in the game, it's criminal to have that spot taken up with something so useless (any party with a cleric can cast PFE 10' and have it last seemingly forever).  It's nice that she HAS a holy symbol, but if it's going to be in such an important position, it really should do a lot more than it does.

* While it's nice that players now have a third option to get to Spellhold, the dragon quest doesn't contain nearly as much depth and detail as either the Shadow Thieves or Bodhi's quests do.  From a role-playing point of view, I'm sure there are some people who are thrilled to not have to deal with thieves OR vampires, but I've never had a problem in justifying my involvement with the thieves guild as a necessary means to a noble end (saving Imoen).   In fact, I like the moral quandry this raises, particularly when Bodhi shoves it back in the PC's face.  But this, of course, is personal preference.  The main point is that it would be nice if the third way to Spellhold were as involved and complex as the other two.

While it may seem that the negatives outweigh the positives, I can assure you that I very much enjoyed Saerileth, and that I'm in awe of the time and devotion clearly expended in her creation.  It seems that the things you don't like seem to stick in your mind more clearly than those you do     Congratulations on an excellent mod; I'll be playing with Saerileth again.

Offline Amy

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 02:40:35 PM »
I finished the ToB portion of the romance (minus Watchers Keep*) and just wanted to say that how impressed I was with it.

Spoilers (which should go without saying, but...)

Good Points -

I liked that Saerileth expressed concern for the struggle a good PC must be going through (the temptation to do evil, the temptation to become a god). The dialogues were very well written.

It was great that if the PC falls morally, she'll still love him, but won't compromise herself and her god by being with him. Excellently handled.

The lack of a new "kill the baddie" quest - there's quite enough of that in ToB as it is. The new encounter was a refreshing change of pace (I loved the men's dialogues afterwards)

No bugs!

Bad points -

This may not be helpful, but there really wasn't anything that stood out to me.

Saerileth is the first NPC mod that I've made it all the way through ToB with (but the number of NPC mods I've made it through Nalia's keep with is legion  ), and it greatly added to the enjoyment of the latter part of the game. Thanks for making such a great mod.

* I have a hard time justifying Watchers Keep from a roleplaying perspective. By the time I'm ready to try it, I'm either suppossed to be racing to save the Tree of Life or Saradush. Who has time to confront a vague threat in an old building? Besides, ToB is enough of a slog without Durlag's Tower 2.0 thrown in (though I'll have to give it a try someday...)

Offline Crimpson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2020, 11:44:55 AM »
Ive been playing this saga since the beginning, hands down one of the best games that never gets old.

Saerileth 9/10
Flawless.
Though she appears as nothing spectacular in the beginning, by the end of SoA (lvl21) AC -13, almost complete immunity to everything, regeneration, mind shield, protections from fear, negative energy, and evil, wielding the upgraded Daystar, Dragon Scale Shield, Green Dragon Armor, Cloak of Displacement, Girdle of Hill Giant Strength, blizzard boots (upgraded cheetah boots) ring of elemental mastery, her Wedding Ring, Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization, Amulet of Seldarine (magic resistance 10%)
AC -13, HP 126, Damage 16-23
fire 95, cold 75, electricity 75, acid 20, magic 10, poison 100.

Best tank I've had. She single handedly destroyed Bodhi's lair faster than any other full group Ive had, and can slaughter Illithids like swatting imps.

Essential for good-aligned parties. So many banters and interjections, so many options. Excellent work, not easy.

Love the romance and it's a refreshing challenge to keep it.  I have mixed feelings about her supposed age. She is a celestial being after all, so there's some interpretation to be made there. One thing I would have liked was after all that effort there could be a tad bit juicier reward, romance-wise. still five stars. excellent work.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 11:57:25 AM by Crimpson »