Author Topic: New Montaron Romance!!!  (Read 24522 times)

Offline BR4ZIL

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Montaron Romance!!!
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2012, 04:51:41 PM »
The only way i can see him getting in a relationship at all is kinda what this mod is going for, someone who will bow to him & "lick his boots" enough so he knows said person isnt up to something, so he lets his guard down & enjoys the moment.

Offline TDouglas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2012, 04:56:43 PM »
On the other hand, gaining a "partner in crime" could lower his defenses as well -- someone who shares his (depraved) interests / hobbies / bloodlust (especially if charname keeps the parties reputation VERY low).  The more you have in common with someone the more likely he would be to "open up" ... at least partially. It may be enough for a relationship to develop (even tho it would likely just keep spirialing towards madness and depravity).

Offline BR4ZIL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2012, 05:03:13 PM »
On the other hand, gaining a "partner in crime" could lower his defenses as well -- someone who shares his (depraved) interests / hobbies / bloodlust (especially if charname keeps the parties reputation VERY low).  The more you have in common with someone the more likely he would be to "open up" ... at least partially. It may be enough for a relationship to develop (even tho it would likely just keep spirialing towards madness and depravity).

Not sure what to say, his relation with Xzar isnt really a "opened up" one and they are partners in crime (but then again, Its Xzar we are talking about).

Smiling Imp needs to read up a few steriotypical Duegar "love" fanfics, i see a relationship with Montaron being just like one  :P

Offline princess_sweets

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2012, 05:04:39 PM »
LOL! I like the idea. My halfling charname, has been looking for a new boyfriend. :D

Offline TDouglas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2012, 05:15:21 PM »
Then you should sit your halfling charname down and have a good, long talk ... if said charname has any sanity left, it'll run screaming into the night rather than attempt to court Uncle Monty :)

Offline TDouglas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2012, 10:07:46 PM »
One last thing I've thought of, although I don't know if it'll really help or not.  Psychopaths are very untrusting and distant ... they're not going to "open up" quickly.  My experience is that they come up with all kinds of small "tests" they apply to anyone they spend much time with.  Nothing major mind you, and it's usually small stuff that could easily come off as a simple misunderstanding.  They're basically testing you for weakness.  In the context of the game, it would probably take the form of dialog "suggestions" the player has to respond to ... Monty's would always be carefully worded so the player could think s/he "got it wrong", but the choice would be noted (incrementing some global in the process, up or down).

You'd also have the challenge of keeping his BG2 persona in line with his BG1 -- finding good / neutral characters weak & snivelling, and getting to the point of simply killing them (if in the party).  People who've travelled with him through BG1 are already aware of it, but folks that start with the NPC directly in BG2 (and so don't really know what they're getting themselves into) could have a pretty rude awakening :)

It's a pity you're not interested in BGT -- you'd be able to write some of those "small tests" and implement them throughout the game.  Throwing too many of 'em at the player too quickly would be a bit obvious.  He certainly wouldn't throw something as big as the skinner murders at you right off the bat (if at all -- depends on how you've responded to his "tests").  I doubt very seriously he'd have a problem with slavery, so the whole Hendak thing in the Copper Coronet could be one of 'em.  If he's in the party when you deal with the Circus at the promenade that could be developed into one as well (defining an evil path through it).  Really, though, I can't think of too many "quests" in BG2 that happen before the bridge district ... :(

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2012, 01:13:17 PM »
Wow! Thanks for the feedback guys. It has taken me a few days to work off the turkey, but its time to get back at it. Uncle Monty, is a very impatient man! Thanks for the brainstorm TDouglas. I like the the idea of the Montaron 'tests'. I agree, it would be better implemented earlier on as it would give them more time, rather than seeming rushed. I took the skeleton of the two dialogs I wrote and changed them to better match the picture that is forming in my head.

Offline TDouglas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2012, 12:48:47 AM »
Careful with that Turkey :)  In my younger days I had many (losing) bouts with it ... caused me to awaken next to things that would drive a strong man mad a few times <g>.

I'm not sure if you're shooting for compatability with the BG1NPC project, but something I'd forgotten about was Monty killing those farmers at Feldposts Inn in Beregost (not that they diddn't deserve it :) ).  I'm guessing they wrote that in to show his impatience (and tendency towards violence), tho personally I think something like that would be more appropriate for chaotic rather than neutral evil (chaotics would be more likely to buck the chain of command, especially if the party rep goes too high).  That's me, though ... if you like their idea you could continue to incorporate it in BG2 (having Monty make his own (bloody) decisions whether the player agrees or not).  Again, tho, I personally think that would be more appropriate for chaotic evil characters (and then only if the player fails to keep the party rep less than, say, 8).

I think there's something to that effect in the alignment description (for CE) as well ... a warning that they will rebel if the leader isn't strong enough ... basically handled by rep in game, with "average" reps and higher a sign of weakness.  Wouldn't apply to Monty per se (Xzar maybe, as he's CE), but would to other CE NPCs you write for.  Could lead to some interesting times (player wise) if the party members start to dissent, choosing evil paths despite goody-goody decisions the player tries to make in dialogs (like what Monty did with the Beregost farmers).  It's nothing I'd personally recommend, but easy enough to implement if you like it :)

I was surprised by the amount of content they gave him though ... I'd figured they would devote everything to Xzar instead (who's presumably easier to write for). 

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2012, 11:17:56 AM »
Worked on a few more romance talks. You guys are right, I have my work cut out for me!  :P

I feel up to the challenge though and have found a few resources to help.

Coding Friendships and Romances by K'aeloree
http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=36780

Romance Authoring Tutorial by Rastor
http://forums.rpgdungeon.net/index.php/topic,1304.0.html

One question remains about the matter of music though. I wasn't thinking about adding any at first but bioware NPC romances have original music and the BG1 NPC Project did give Montaron his own theme song and so I"m giving the idea some more thought. In case I do decide to add an original track, the first thing need would be to find some appropriate music and then the correct method in with to add it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 11:50:35 AM by Smiling Imp »

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2012, 12:42:49 PM »
As with most bad relationships, this one is going to be dabbling into narcotics. Mostly lotus leaves but I have been trying to find out more about this one as well.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Traveler%27s_dust

For the romance to continue, you will have to at lest show a passing interest in narcotics. Eventually there will be a breaking point, where in order for him to trust you, you will have to indulge, but depending on how many dialogs I get done, that will be later on. I was conflicted if I wanted to take this route or not, but figured if I am going to be true to the characters and tell a really evil story, I had to give it some mention. I always pictured that if Xzar and Montaron had not met their fates at the hands of the Harpers in the vanilla version, that they would have been the next tandem serial killers in Athkatla. Indeed, if you have tried Xzar from this mod, he already alludes to it. Now to fill in Montaron's side of this dark tale.  
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 12:44:56 PM by Smiling Imp »

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2012, 12:58:15 PM »

I'm not sure if you're shooting for compatability with the BG1NPC project, but something I'd forgotten about was Monty killing those farmers at Feldposts Inn in Beregost (not that they diddn't deserve it :) ).  I'm guessing they wrote that in to show his impatience (and tendency towards violence)

I was surprised by the amount of content they gave him though ... I'd figured they would devote everything to Xzar instead (who's presumably easier to write for).  

I definitely used the expanded character sketches from BG1NPC project as guideline for some characters that I was having a harder time writing for. I tried not to use specifics in fear that the authors might feel infringed upon. An expansion of what they originally wrote might be flattering to some or might cross the line for others. It would be pretty awesome though to keep some consistency between the characters and mods throughout the games.    

Smiling Imp needs to read up a few steriotypical Duegar "love" fanfics, i see a relationship with Montaron being just like one  :P

I'll check it out..  ;)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 03:35:20 PM by Smiling Imp »

Offline BR4ZIL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2012, 04:23:31 PM »
As for the Duergar "love", please do read "rape". It was more of a joke really, but i belive the steriotypical Duergar dwarf is very abusive towards his woman.

From what i have seen here, Monty is would kinda fit that type of relationship if the PC finnaly gains his trust  :P

Also, for Duergar fans, please dont take this seriously, i find them to be the most interesting dwarven sub-race, plus they get along with the Drow. (go Underdark go!  :lilly).

Offline Rhaella

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 03:55:09 PM »
As with most bad relationships, this one is going to be dabbling into narcotics. Mostly lotus leaves but I have been trying to find out more about this one as well.

Traveler's Dust is Post-Spellplague, which means it doesn't exist yet during the time frame of Baldur's Gate.

If you want something nasty and canon, you could go with Mordayn Vapor, aka Dreammist, instead. It's a highly addictive hallucinogenic whose vapors are inhaled to produce beautiful visions, but if you use too much or actually eat or drink it, it's deadly poisonous. You can find the full description in Lords of Darkness.

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 08:42:21 PM »

Traveler's Dust is Post-Spellplague, which means it doesn't exist yet during the time frame of Baldur's Gate.

If you want something nasty and canon, you could go with Mordayn Vapor, aka Dreammist, instead. It's a highly addictive hallucinogenic whose vapors are inhaled to produce beautiful visions, but if you use too much or actually eat or drink it, it's deadly poisonous. You can find the full description in Lords of Darkness.

Highly addictive hallucinogenic whose vapors are inhaled to produce beautiful visions? Cool!!! Thanks for the info, Rhaella. I'll check it out when I have the chance.

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
The Montaron Romance will reach untold depths in the human soul! As I like to be a method writer, I have decided to live like Montaron would the last few weeks. Suffice to say, I have run into some troubles.. but hey, such is life!

Perhaps next time I'll write something for a more upbeat character..  :-\