Author Topic: Help Faldorn Destroy Trademeet  (Read 10196 times)

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
Help Faldorn Destroy Trademeet
« on: October 22, 2012, 04:26:23 PM »
I was reading some threads on the BG:EE Forum when I came across this idea and thought it was brilliant. In this mod, Faldorn will join your party after you defeat her in battle, but what if you had an evil party and wanted to help her destroy the Trademeet? Seems like a cool way to give more role playing opportunities.

Ideally, you would help the Shadow Druids in a huge battle against the guards, the merchant families and the genies and then scorch the Trademeet to the ground, wiping it off the map. A new movie, similar to the one that happens when Saradush is destroyed, can help capture the true impact of the devastation.  

Offline BR4ZIL

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help Faldorn Destroy Trademeet
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 08:33:18 AM »
Hmm very interesting ideia, but isnt Faldorn true neutral instead of evil? The mod maker would have to understand that the Shadow Druids dont want to slaughter the civilized people in Trademeet, they "only" want the city itself (buildings, walls & etc) destroyed, of course people would die, but i am just saying they dont care how they do it.

What i meant by that is that if such ideia comes to light in a mod, i hope things dont amount to a "huge battle for/in trademeet". Sabotage would be a much more viable option, maybe helping weakining Trademeet's economy and it eventually becomes a "ghost town" or something. The burning of the town would be climax of the Shadow Druid's victory.

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 12:50:48 PM »
Hmm very interesting ideia, but isnt Faldorn true neutral instead of evil?

This is one of the things being talked about. Technically, you are correct, that is her alignment. However, whereas her BG1 personality reflected a true neutral character, some would argue that her actions in BG2 fall into the realm of evil. It could be subject to debate if you don't go strictly by her alignment.

The mod maker would have to understand that the Shadow Druids dont want to slaughter the civilized people in Trademeet, they "only" want the city itself (buildings, walls & etc) destroyed, of course people would die, but i am just saying they dont care how they do it. What i meant by that is that if such ideia comes to light in a mod, i hope things dont amount to a "huge battle for/in trademeet". Sabotage would be a much more viable option, maybe helping weakining Trademeet's economy and it eventually becomes a "ghost town" or something. The burning of the town would be climax of the Shadow Druid's victory.

I like that. Maybe Faldorn could give you the choice of a direct attack or perhaps by raiding the caravans before the reach the town, making the people inside go broke and hungry so that they all flee to Athkatla. Depending on their <CHARNAME>'s personality, people might want to role-play things differently. Not enough evil options in the game that don't break all the quests by everyone turning hostile.  
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 12:52:47 PM by Smiling Imp »

Offline TDouglas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 10:18:11 AM »
I think this reflects a problem with AD&D more than anything ... from what I've read, the shadow druids often worship Malar (the default dialog with the druid that attacks you n BG1 even stated "the wrath of Malar" will strike you down or whatever), but Malar is chaotic evil (and hates druids) so we're into the conflict already.  If Faldorn has become a Malorite, she technically wouldn't be a druid anymore ... same for the rest of 'em.  So ... where do they draw their power?  More to the point, how can a Malorite become ruler of a druid grove?

OTOH, if she IS a Malorite, her attack on trademeet would make perfect sense (either direct assault or through treachery, tho I'm betting Malorites would prefer a more bloodthirsty approach).  At the very least, the shadow druid grove would welcome assistance from any of Malars followers (who tend to be evil lycanthropes), and there's a "den" of 'em not too horribly far away (area where you deal with Coran and Safana in BG2) ... if that encounter was rewritten, it could have interesting (and horrific) consequences for trademeet  8)

Offline BR4ZIL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 04:17:16 PM »
I think this reflects a problem with AD&D more than anything ... from what I've read, the shadow druids often worship Malar (the default dialog with the druid that attacks you n BG1 even stated "the wrath of Malar" will strike you down or whatever), but Malar is chaotic evil (and hates druids) so we're into the conflict already.  If Faldorn has become a Malorite, she technically wouldn't be a druid anymore ... same for the rest of 'em.  So ... where do they draw their power?  More to the point, how can a Malorite become ruler of a druid grove?

OTOH, if she IS a Malorite, her attack on trademeet would make perfect sense (either direct assault or through treachery, tho I'm betting Malorites would prefer a more bloodthirsty approach).  At the very least, the shadow druid grove would welcome assistance from any of Malars followers (who tend to be evil lycanthropes), and there's a "den" of 'em not too horribly far away (area where you deal with Coran and Safana in BG2) ... if that encounter was rewritten, it could have interesting (and horrific) consequences for trademeet  8)

Which druid from BG1 you refer to? i am pretty sure they Shadow Druids arent Malorites (but it has been a while & i played with mods last time)

Offline TDouglas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 04:51:54 PM »
I can't remember the name (and I'm currently in the process of a reinstall, so can't use NI to check) but it's the druid in the big circle of stones (with the bears) ... the one where the other druid comes to your aid in killing him.  He very clearly invokes the "wrath of Malar".

Offline BR4ZIL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 04:58:41 PM »
I can't remember the name (and I'm currently in the process of a reinstall, so can't use NI to check) but it's the druid in the big circle of stones (with the bears) ... the one where the other druid comes to your aid in killing him.  He very clearly invokes the "wrath of Malar".

Well, the druid that attacks you first isnt even a shadow druid, he is a random druid that got drugged/poisoned and went mad. The poisoner (the guy that helps you kill him), as i recall is a shadow druid and did what he did to prevent the construction of the altar (guess it made the Oak Father angry or something).

Offline TDouglas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 05:19:10 PM »
That's what I always thought, so the reference to Malar by druid #1 is odd.  Unless they were both shadow druids, and the second one was simply betraying the first (after killing off the regular druids).  Hmmm, maybe he just doesn't want any witnesses?

Oh well, the folks at Bioware diddn't always do their homework ... guess this is yet another example :)

Offline BR4ZIL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 05:43:20 PM »
Well, never discard the possibility that he was a malorite that infiltrated a Druidic order and by random chance was involved in the Shadow Druid X Druid order conflict, when poisoned, he went mad & started to babble about his true identity!

I am sure Bioware totally went for that  ::)

Offline TDouglas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 05:47:55 PM »
With such powerful faith, you should have been a cleric :)

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 06:34:03 AM »
I dedicated a few hours to this last night and I must say I am pleased with the results. Evil characters will now have a huge battle against the forces of the Trademeet to deal with. I have also added a dialog option for a less direct method of taking control of the town, that being, blocking all food from entering the town and making the people go hungry, however, I am less certain about how I should proceed with this option via the game mechanics so that it plays out believably. Stay tuned for more information.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 06:39:27 AM by Smiling Imp »

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 07:55:50 PM »
Okay, so now I have written interjections for pertinent townsfolk of Trademeet so that they will acknowledge the Shadow Druid blockade. I also extended some area scripts so that some of the people inside the buildings and tents (i.e. Genies, guards, High Merchant) will turn hostile if you decide to direct attack approach.

Some of Faldorn's banters had to be tweaked to reflect the fact that now she can join the party and still be on the evil/ish side. Now all I need is a chilling journal entry and some other fine touches here and there and this should be ready, hopefully relatively soon.

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 06:38:31 PM »
Done! You will be able to join Faldorn's side in the next downloadable version!  :lilly

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 05:42:19 PM »
Destroy Trademeet through
Force of Steel
and
Might of Magic!

(if you are evil and you know it, you have to try this at least once)

Or watch the people suffer..
as it becomes Dogtown!

http://www.baldursgatemods.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=177

The choice is yours!

« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 05:44:56 PM by Smiling Imp »