Author Topic: Temporary Absence  (Read 10383 times)

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
Temporary Absence
« on: October 18, 2012, 12:23:08 AM »
Because I know I've got a few thousand folks out there just drooling in anticipation of Armin being finished, I feel it's only fair to inform the dedicated fans that I will be absent until November starting this coming Friday (the 19th).  During that time, Armin will be vacationing, too, since I don't intend on working on him during my vacation.   Fact is, I won't have my computer with me, so even if I wanted to, I couldn't edit the files I've started.  Sure, I could hand write ideas on a notepad, scrap of paper, or a napkin, but that sounds a lot like work!  So until then, I guess.

I will be posting one more progress report tomorrow, if I find the time to do so.   
In progress - Armin Kasun - a mercenary NPC for BG2

On hold - Halbo NPC for BG2, the evil halfling thief, food critic, and party troublemaker

Offline Lord-Jyssev

• Modders
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
Re: Temporary Absence
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 12:29:17 AM »
Have an enjoyable vacation! See you when you get back :)

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 07:01:13 AM »
Thanks.  It was fun, but it's still nice to get back to normal.   Vacation had its good points and bad points for the mod, too.  The good points are that I got some ideas for it.  The bad?  It's that I think I need to scrap the PC/NPC dialogues I did and redo them now.   I guess it's fortunate I only had two written anyway.   

On hold - Halbo NPC for BG2, the evil halfling thief, food critic, and party troublemaker

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 12:24:24 PM »
So my temporary absence has turned out to be an extended break thanks to some things beyond my control happening.  Armin isn't abandoned, but just on ice.

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 11:45:24 AM »
Well, that was a long extended absence.  As I said elsewhere, I decided to just focus more on RL for awhile, so poor Armin had to sit in a closet for a long time.   I'll see if I can get a few things written for him now, though , admittedly, I've forgotten a lot of my ideas because I never write them down! 

Speaking of writing, does anyone else have the problem that I do of writing something, not liking it, deleting it, writing it again, and repeating?   I have that.   In fact, the last time I reread everything I did for this attempt at a mod, I was dissatisfied with the majority of it and had the temptation to erase the whole thing and start over.  For those of you who have that problem, what's your solution for just moving on and not getting yourself in a permanent cycle?   Maybe I just need to realize that I'll never be a best-selling author.  Ah well.

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Modders
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 05:12:20 PM »
Well, that was a long extended absence.  As I said elsewhere, I decided to just focus more on RL for awhile, so poor Armin had to sit in a closet for a long time.   I'll see if I can get a few things written for him now, though , admittedly, I've forgotten a lot of my ideas because I never write them down! 

Speaking of writing, does anyone else have the problem that I do of writing something, not liking it, deleting it, writing it again, and repeating?   I have that.   In fact, the last time I reread everything I did for this attempt at a mod, I was dissatisfied with the majority of it and had the temptation to erase the whole thing and start over.  For those of you who have that problem, what's your solution for just moving on and not getting yourself in a permanent cycle?   Maybe I just need to realize that I'll never be a best-selling author.  Ah well.

Sounds like you could use some magical healing herbs.  ;)

Offline jastey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 06:26:02 AM »
Sir Carnifex: I know what you mean. I re-wrote the romance path of the ToB part of my NPC mod (Ajantis) three times now, I think. Fortunately, in my case it's an iteration to a state I like so much I am able to declare it final. The best trick for me is: Finish a part, code it in, and never touch it again until you get feed back from testers...

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 11:10:19 AM »
You're probably right, Jastey.  Thanks for the advice.  Writing is like an art, I guess, and it seems many artists (not that I'm saying I'm an artist!) don't like their own work.  Odd how that works.   Sorry about not replying so soon!

Back to that temporary absence... well, I'm still absent.  I never lost interest in doing this, but right now I really need to be spending my time doing other things in RL and I can't afford to spare a large chunk of it to work on a mod, unfortunately.   I keep saying, maybe someday...

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 11:37:18 PM »
I'm considering trying to set aside time to work on this again.    I just have to reinstall BG2, all my mod-making tools, my modding install, and find my backup files since I reformatted.   Why is fun so much work?!   :P

Offline Jarno Mikkola

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 02:11:54 PM »
Not that I am any good at writing, but I tend to store my writings to a pile of incomplete writings... to the desktops folder... name the file to whatever it's about and keep it there. This is how I have now about 9 piece compilation of odds and ends of small mods or updates to old ones coming out... hopefully this at the end of this month...
Deleting is a bad thing in this scenario, so remembering the copy-pasting to the frell list is better. Not that you'll ever use them, but you can snip a few ideas or something you had stored into them.

The reason why the fun is so much work is that it's fun work  :lilly ... yeah, you can kill me now.  :evil:

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 01:55:21 PM »
I don't think I've deleted my old work, at least as far as this mod goes.   In fact, I pulled some work I had done on another idea and inserted it into this mod.  I'm not sure if I'd keep it in the long run, but I was trying the method of just getting something written down rather than having an empty (or almost empty) sheet.   

But it's still tempting to delete it!

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2020, 07:58:43 PM »
After having found my old files for this, I must say it's a little depressing how little I actually finished in the time I was working on this project.  I know I was busy, but yikes!  I think I'm a little bit more motivated as a writer now than I was in the past and certainly less prone to getting stuck on one thing.   In about the past week I have already exceeded (for another character) what I did for this mod.  I no longer just delete ideas when they don't work out, but instead I mark them and return to see if I can rework.

So will Armin revive?  Maybe.  I do like to keep a couple projects going at once in case I get writer's block for one of them.