Author Topic: Minor Dilemma  (Read 4472 times)

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
Minor Dilemma
« on: October 12, 2012, 01:14:38 PM »
So I had a couple of ideas for the mod but they now seems to clash a little bit and I need to find a way to keep them both in.   The first is that Armin will like/dislike the PC more based on decisions during certain portions of the game.  Originally, I figured that I could just add in an interjection by him and use that opportunity to increment a global.   However, that clashes with the other feature I had:  the option to ask him to keep quiet about his opinions (which really decreases his interjections).  

I'm looking at ways to get around this.  One that I could see is to have a separate check for globals set by the original game that will adjust Armin's global if such-and-such is true.  This is like doing double work though, so I wonder if there's a possible way to have the check on the interjection itself, and still have that check go through even if the interjection is turned off.   Would that be feasible?  Or is there another way that would be simpler?   It's been awhile since I've tried anything other than copy/paste coding, so I'm not quite up to par on this stuff.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 04:51:37 PM by Sir_Carnifex »
In progress - Armin Kasun - a mercenary NPC for BG2

On hold - Halbo NPC for BG2, the evil halfling thief, food critic, and party troublemaker

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Modders
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Minor Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 09:27:02 PM »
So he keeps his opinions to himself, but does that mean he doesn't speak? Because if not, perhaps other NPCs could start a dialog with Armin, have him express and opnion then have <CHARNAME> interject. Then depending on the PC's reaction, Armin's dialogs could be set accordingly, like so.

CHAIN ~BANOMEN~ AnomenArminPCInterupt
~What do you think of blah blah blah...~
== (Your NPCs banter file here) ~I think this...~
END
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I agree with you, Armin.~ DO ~Global("ArminAgree","GLOBAL",1)~ EXTERN ~BANOMEN~ AnomenArminPCInterupt2
IF ~~ THEN REPLY  ~I disagree with you Armin.~ DO ~Global("ArminDisAgree","GLOBAL",1)~ EXTERN ~BANOMEN~ AnomenArminPCInterupt3

CHAIN ~BANOMEN~ AnomenArminPCInterupt2
~Yes, I agree with <CHARNAME>.~
== (Your NPCs banter file here) ~Whatever!~
EXIT

CHAIN ~BANOMEN~ AnomenArminPCInterupt3
~Do not cross <CHARNAME>.~
== (Your NPCs banter file here) ~Whatever!~
EXIT

Mind you, this is very crude and a more experienced modder may have a better method than this, but it is the first thing I could think of without making major changes to the in-game dialog.

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 07:05:48 PM »
Well, I originally thought that it'd mean he wouldn't speak certain lines.  For instance, if you, at some point, say to him,  "Armin, I'd appreciate that you don't give me unwanted advice," then he'd keep his opinions to himself.  Otherwise he might say something like, "This is a golden opportunity, <CHARNAME>.  You really should considering helping this unfortunate person."   Those are just example dialogues.   However, you do have a point.   Not giving advice doesn't mean being silent, so I could add in a check for the "ArminAdvice" and if it find one way, one line will fire, and if it's set to another integer, the second line would fire.  It would mean some more writing, but I think better than a mute NPC.

As for using other NPCs to pry his opinion from him, that's a possibility, though I wouldn't want to use it too often.  Typically with the original NPCs they do not ask for another's opinion, but quite often the others are all too willing to pipe up and contradict what the first said.
In progress - Armin Kasun - a mercenary NPC for BG2

On hold - Halbo NPC for BG2, the evil halfling thief, food critic, and party troublemaker

theressaou

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 02:48:32 AM »
The most popular ones on the site It allows me to meet andtalkwith many people who came to share their experiences.