Author Topic: Does anyone ever go through the Underdark peacefully?  (Read 7624 times)

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
Does anyone ever go through the Underdark peacefully?
« on: October 01, 2012, 01:37:39 AM »
I was about to write something which would assume that the player fought the drow, and then I realized that while I may kill the lot of them every time, there probably are people that don't.   I remember reading somewhere about being able to get out of the UD without even entering Ust Natha, but I don't remember how and I've certainly never done it.   Also, is it possible to get away without fighting any of them once you DO enter the city?  I've never gotten the eggs without causing an alarm and I'm not sure if there's a method for that.   I think that no matter what, the drow will be hostile at some point.

So the question, in short, is:  do people actually try to get through with as little killing as possible (to the extent of no drow killed) or would it be safe to assume that at some point some drow were killed?  I tend to think the latter, but since after ten plus years I've still yet to do MANY things in the game, I wouldn't exactly be surprised if people have found ways around it.

Thanks!
In progress - Armin Kasun - a mercenary NPC for BG2

On hold - Halbo NPC for BG2, the evil halfling thief, food critic, and party troublemaker

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Modders
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Does anyone ever go through the Underdark peacefully?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 12:17:10 PM »
Can't say that I have. Any additional/alternate Underdark content would be cool though.

Offline Lord-Jyssev

• Modders
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 12:21:34 PM »
The other option is to kill Adalon, the silver dragon. Most would argue that that is more evil than killing an entire city of drow. I've managed to get halfway out of the city before the drow turned on me, though that might just be slow triggers or a bug or something. Almost every other time, as soon as the matron mother/Phaere is killed by the demon, the city is out for blood.

Usually, I tend to go for as much XP as possible, so no, I don't normally leave anything hostile alive in the Underdark.

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 03:01:12 PM »
The other option is to kill Adalon, the silver dragon. Most would argue that that is more evil than killing an entire city of drow. I've managed to get halfway out of the city before the drow turned on me, though that might just be slow triggers or a bug or something. Almost every other time, as soon as the matron mother/Phaere is killed by the demon, the city is out for blood.

Usually, I tend to go for as much XP as possible, so no, I don't normally leave anything hostile alive in the Underdark.

That's the method I was trying to think of.  I can't believe I forgot about killing the dragon!

On hold - Halbo NPC for BG2, the evil halfling thief, food critic, and party troublemaker

Offline Solaufein

• Lord of the Realms
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
  • The night is dark and full of terrors...
    • ICQ Messenger - 251194643
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - gscott7833
    • View Profile
    • http://teambg.net
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 11:11:04 AM »
I always kill the drow after doing all of the quests. They don't rule supreme.
My mods:
Dark Horizons
The Undying
Nikita
IWD2 store

Co-contributor:
Dark Side of the Sword Coast BG1 Weidu
Aurils Bane
Encounters
Saerileth
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 01:14:22 PM »
I always kill the drow after doing all of the quests. They don't rule supreme.

That's how I do it, too.   They're relatively wimpy.  Well, usually they are.  In my latest playthrough, my party relies a LOT on magic, but I don't have many spells to pierce through it since I rushed into the UD as fast as I could.

Offline BR4ZIL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 12:42:22 PM »
Well, i dont kill them (i think i never did, maybe once or twice because of freaky timers inside Ust Natha, but always reload later), mainly because i consider those drow to be innocent (yeah yeah, no drow is innocent blah blah bla..., i know).

Also, as regular drow player, i cant go around killing fellow compatriots, now can i?  :P

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 06:48:50 PM »
Well, i dont kill them (i think i never did, maybe once or twice because of freaky timers inside Ust Natha, but always reload later), mainly because i consider those drow to be innocent (yeah yeah, no drow is innocent blah blah bla..., i know).

Also, as regular drow player, i cant go around killing fellow compatriots, now can i?  :P

Unfortunately, melting hearts like you make my task slightly harder!  I figure that, should I do what I was thinking of, I should just require a check to see if one of the prominent drow is dead, like the matron or Phaere.

Offline BR4ZIL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 07:02:51 AM »

Also, as regular drow player, i cant go around killing fellow compatriots, now can i?  :P

Unfortunately, melting hearts like you make my task slightly harder!  I figure that, should I do what I was thinking of, I should just require a check to see if one of the prominent drow is dead, like the matron or Phaere.

Wait, you mean Them? you know you can kill them without having to kill the rest of the city, right? you can kill them during the ritual and then you have X time before the city discovers it and goes hostile. Maybe put the check on any drow at the "merchant" square, for example.

Also, the demon can kill Phaere & the Matron, so me thinks both shouldnt definitly be the ones to be checked  ???
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 07:07:30 AM by BR4ZIL »

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 10:18:04 AM »

Also, as regular drow player, i cant go around killing fellow compatriots, now can i?  :P

Unfortunately, melting hearts like you make my task slightly harder!  I figure that, should I do what I was thinking of, I should just require a check to see if one of the prominent drow is dead, like the matron or Phaere.

Also, the demon can kill Phaere & the Matron, so me thinks both shouldnt definitly be the ones to be checked  ???

I guess that's quite true.  However, in order for that to happen, you have to kill the guards at the egg safe, correct?  So if the matron is dead, that means you either killed her yourself or you have to kill the guards.   Either way you did in some drow, and that's all that counts in this matter.

Offline BR4ZIL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 04:59:24 PM »

I guess that's quite true.  However, in order for that to happen, you have to kill the guards at the egg safe, correct?  So if the matron is dead, that means you either killed her yourself or you have to kill the guards.   Either way you did in some drow, and that's all that counts in this matter.

Now you got me here, it has been a while since i last done the Underdark part, but i think you might be right, you have to kill some guards on the "Temple/Palace" map

If any generic drow will do for your dialogue, maybe its worth to mention that your are forced to kill some when escaping the underdark, so the check wouldnt depend on the death variable of a character. There is also that Drow girl in the sewers, with the spiders (but it would be a problem, as one of the major mods (bgtweaks, i think) restores a peaceful solution to her problem)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 05:04:20 PM by BR4ZIL »

Offline Raven

• Miriam's sane half
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
  • Like Awesome!
    • View Profile
    • Vampire Tales
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 10:17:32 PM »
The drow are too cool to be killed but sometimes its unavoidable.

Nice new mod you have here.
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 10:29:59 PM »
The drow are too cool to be killed but sometimes its unavoidable.

Nice new mod you have here.

Thank you.  I hope I can say the same once it's done!  Fingers crossed!