Author Topic: Ideas: Payment  (Read 17008 times)

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
Ideas: Payment
« on: September 28, 2012, 03:01:28 PM »
I'd like to get opinions on methods of making a mercenary get his pay.   My current idea is to have him be paid on a weekly basis, but before I do that, I'd like a little feedback on some thoughts I had regarding that.

1.  How long does it take you (in game time) to finish BG2 without the expansion?  I'm a somewhat slow player, so I'd end up paying him quite a bit of gold because the game drags on and on.   I think I was at thirty some days near the end of the UD, and that was rushing to get there as fast as I can.  Am I just slow, or do a lot of people take so much time to get through?

2.  What's the average person going to take in as far as gold?   I know that I tend to pick up every spare item I can and sell it/stash it so that I can have as much coin as possible.   Because of my method, I typically have plenty of gold available for purchasing anything I want.  However, I want to make the NPC's price reasonable for players who don't necessarily try to get every gold piece.   I realize that as the game goes on, money is really no longer a problem, but it can be short at the very beginning.  Knowing this can help set a price.

3.  Someone in another thread mentioned that there should be a way to have him in the party without having to pay him.  This is ONE reason why I decided to do the romance because it was the most practical way I could see accomplishing this.  I have a couple more ideas to which would bind him to the party without pay for some time (like the Underdark area makes sense) without sprinkling gold before his eyes.   Any other ideas on this?

Though I have a general plan for this, I'm open to ideas to all of the above and would appreciate feedback on it.   Thanks!

In progress - Armin Kasun - a mercenary NPC for BG2

On hold - Halbo NPC for BG2, the evil halfling thief, food critic, and party troublemaker

Offline Lord-Jyssev

• Modders
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas: Payment
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 04:17:36 PM »
Perhaps you could have gold scale upwards, as the chapters progress? I could see something like 250 - 500 gp / week in the beginning of the game, fresh out of Irenicus's dungeon. That could be too low, but having it scale to the difficulty of the game and the levels of the party could make more sense than a flat rate throughout the entire time.

As for convincing the mercenary not to receive payment, you could integrate this with his main quest. Maybe his story somehow intertwines with the protagonist's, and the party helps out your NPC in a way that he is grateful and somehow wants revenge on Irenicus / Bohdi / some other plot character that doesn't get eliminated until later in the game. Having the goals of the protagonist and the mercenary coincide would mean that he is working with the party for mutual gain, and not for payment.

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 04:39:15 PM »
Perhaps you could have gold scale upwards, as the chapters progress? I could see something like 250 - 500 gp / week in the beginning of the game, fresh out of Irenicus's dungeon. That could be too low, but having it scale to the difficulty of the game and the levels of the party could make more sense than a flat rate throughout the entire time.

Doing it by chapter is an interesting idea.  It would have to make sense in character as well as out of character.  I suppose I could see the person requesting more as 1) his own abilities improve and he thinks he's worth more and 2) the tasks at hand become more and more dangerous.   Is that sort of what you were thinking?   Also, the 250 - 500 range is where I was, too. 

As for convincing the mercenary not to receive payment, you could integrate this with his main quest. Maybe his story somehow intertwines with the protagonist's, and the party helps out your NPC in a way that he is grateful and somehow wants revenge on Irenicus / Bohdi / some other plot character that doesn't get eliminated until later in the game. Having the goals of the protagonist and the mercenary coincide would mean that he is working with the party for mutual gain, and not for payment.

With the original quest I have in mind (although it perhaps I shouldn't call it a quest) that idea would not work at all.  However, I recently had an idea for another quest (one that's more of a quest!) with which I probably could integrate it.   The NPC may be evil, but he's lawful evil... which means capable of being grateful, eh?   ;D

Thanks for the feedback.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 04:48:27 PM by Sir_Carnifex »
In progress - Armin Kasun - a mercenary NPC for BG2

On hold - Halbo NPC for BG2, the evil halfling thief, food critic, and party troublemaker

Offline maruderkill

• maruderkill
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 02:32:02 AM »
A very good knowledge of it. This knowledge will be yours in the next life we legally do.