Author Topic: NPC for Soa and BGT - continuity?  (Read 7985 times)

Offline melkor_morgoth75

• View Profile
NPC for Soa and BGT - continuity?
« on: August 21, 2012, 02:41:04 AM »
Hi there,

just wondering as i didn't find any info about it around, are the imported NPC "continuos" in a BGT game? In BGT when u meet again Imoen, Jaheria and Minsc they are the very same NPC as there were at the end of BG1 game (same stats, xp, etc...).
Are your imported NPC continuos as well? :)

As i'm lazy to have a look at the code, do u have a list of NPC currently imported? :p

Tx in advance,
mm75

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: NPC for Soa and BGT - continuity?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 10:51:01 AM »
Although that would be awesome, no, the NPCs are not "continuos". The mod only offers material for SoA and ToB and as such, won't import the original NPCs from a BGT game.

Offline BR4ZIL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 12:50:15 PM »
Well if it is just the character stats your looking for, there is nothing ShadowKeeper wont fix  ;D

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Modders
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 01:38:57 PM »
Continuity would certainly be a nice thing to have, but... I have doubts that a person such as I would ever get around to it.  All these years and I still haven't used all the NPCs in BG1.

Faldorn, Coran, Tiax, Quayle, Skie, Eldoth, Alora have all been left behind after their gear has mysteriously disappeared. 
In progress - Armin Kasun - a mercenary NPC for BG2

On hold - Halbo NPC for BG2, the evil halfling thief, food critic, and party troublemaker

Offline BR4ZIL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 03:28:44 PM »
You DARE LEAVE MIGHTY TIAX BEHIND!?  :eek

I take Skie & Eldoth on my evil characters, my party is usually: Skie & Eldoth, Edwin, Shar-Teel (minsc substitute plus she has romance) and Viconia (everybody needs a cleric).

Continuity would be nice, i would pay to have someone make a follow up on Shar Teel's romance in BG2  :lilly

For now, i have to content myself with Skie as BG2 romance.

PS: somebody here ever took Alora or Quayle with them? they seem to be the most neglected NPCs.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 03:30:42 PM by BR4ZIL »

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Modders
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 03:35:17 PM »
You DARE LEAVE MIGHTY TIAX BEHIND!?  :eek

At the time, I always refused to use a character if I didn't like the portrait.  I'm not quite so picky now, but I haven't gotten as far as Tiax in my newest playthrough (which is solo anyway).
In progress - Armin Kasun - a mercenary NPC for BG2

On hold - Halbo NPC for BG2, the evil halfling thief, food critic, and party troublemaker

Offline melkor_morgoth75

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 07:38:45 AM »
Well, currently i usually play with the "continuos" NPC ... that's also why BGT is great and funny. Keeping a continuity between Bg1 and Bg2 saga it's really nice, but i can understand if you're not going to implement it.

By the way, there is a component in BGT Tweaks that allow you to have some "continuos" NPC in Bg2 as well, of course no banters and quests for them, but u have the very same friends you had in Bg1 part of the game.

I know Shadowkeep can do that stuff ... but we're modders, we don't wanna it  :razz

mm75
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:40:25 AM by melkor_morgoth75 »

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 08:21:13 AM »
Well, currently i usually play with the "continuos" NPC ... that's also why BGT is great and funny. Keeping a continuity between Bg1 and Bg2 saga it's really nice, but i can understand if you're not going to implement it.

When you get bored of silent NPCs make sure you head to the Water gardens. This mod has creature checks so that the NPCs will not double up, so you can also use the BG1 NPCs from another mod and still enjoy the Water Gardens.

Offline coineineagh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 06:40:03 PM »
When you get bored of silent NPCs make sure you head to the Water gardens. This mod has creature checks so that the NPCs will not double up, so you can also use the BG1 NPCs from another mod and still enjoy the Water Gardens.

Does this mean that the original NPCs I bring from BG1 to BG2 can take on the dialogs and scripts you wrote for the mod, if I simply head over to the Water Gardens? And does this only apply in that area, or the rest of the game too? Perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part...

If they have the same creature checks, might it be possible for you to develop a code that will connect the originals from BG1 to your mod content?
Otherwise, I might consider cheating by using CLUAconsole to warp to the BG2 maps where *your* Coran and Tiax are located, and play with them in BG1 instead...

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 03:17:39 PM »

Does this mean that the original NPCs I bring from BG1 to BG2 can take on the dialogs and scripts you wrote for the mod, if I simply head over to the Water Gardens? And does this only apply in that area, or the rest of the game too? Perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part...

If they have the same creature checks, might it be possible for you to develop a code that will connect the originals from BG1 to your mod content?
Otherwise, I might consider cheating by using CLUAconsole to warp to the BG2 maps where *your* Coran and Tiax are located, and play with them in BG1 instead...

People have made it so that they can use the dialogs and scripts from this mod into their npcs using shadowkeeper, but unfortunately it will not do it on its own. The creature checks are so you don't end up with another version of Branwen when all you wanted was Shar-Teel, In other words, they are there for continuity's sake. The banters from this mod will fire anywhere unless specifically coded otherwise, so no, not exclusively for the Water Gardens. The creature checks also make it so you can enjoy the Water Gardens without actually adding any NPCs if need be.