Author Topic: Mercenary NPCs?  (Read 4012 times)

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Modders
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
Mercenary NPCs?
« on: August 12, 2012, 03:05:53 PM »
I'm wondering if there have been any mercenary NPCs made?  I know that Kagain in BG1 is a mercenary of sorts, but I've not heard of one in BG2, yet.  Of course, I've not come close to even looking at all the NPCs made, so it's possible I could have missed one.  For the most part, however, I've found that NPCs you come across travel with you because...

1.) Old friend or aquaintance
2.) They have a quest of sorts and need help.   They offer to help you in return.
3.) They are looking to escape something else.
4.) You rescued them and they feel obligated to help.

Once that first question is answered, would it be possible to actually funnel away a percentage of gold (say 1% just for effect) from income to the party and call it payment?  It's just an idea, though I'm not sure it's a good one.  It would be interesting if it were possible. Anyway, I'm seriously considering going this route with an NPC.   And even IF funneling gold away were not possible, it could be implied that he is being paid and that is his reason for staying.  I can always find a way to make him want to stay with the party without the enticement of gold at a later point, but for starters...

Any other ideas that might go with a mercenary NPC?  Being bought by the enemy if you don't keep him happy enough? Also, I was thinking that with a mercenary (unscrupulous one) that he would never leave the party based solely on reputation.  After all, his happiness doesn't come from doing good or doing evil, but from getting paid to do either one.  If you have other ideas, I'd be glad to hear them. 
In progress - Armin Kasun - a mercenary NPC for BG2

On hold - Halbo NPC for BG2, the evil halfling thief, food critic, and party troublemaker

Offline Solaufein

• Lord of the Realms
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
  • Man against the Machine
    • ICQ Messenger - 251194643
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - gscott7833
    • View Profile
    • http://teambg.net
Re: Mercenary NPCs?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 03:47:48 PM »
Alexia will be a mercenary type who joins you. She only joins you because the both of you have a similar goal, to get to Irenicus. Her reason she is going after Irenicus is because its a contract she was hired for.
My mods:
Dark Horizons
The Undying
Nikita
IWD2 store

Co-contributor:
Dark Side of the Sword Coast BG1 Weidu
Aurils Bane
Encounters
Saerileth
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Offline Lava Del'Vortel

• Modders
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 04:06:09 PM »
My two NPC mods introduce a kind of mercenaries: Aeon (however later he just kind of like charname) and Swylif (ToB-only gnome NPC - you need cash to hire him).
Lava's Scriptorium

Done projects:
Colours of Infinity: TotDG, Innershade, TWQ, ISNF, Yvette, Foundling
Quests: Eilistraee's Song
NPCs and related: Varshoon | Aeon | Petsy | Tsuki BG2 | Yoshimo Romance | La'Valygar | Quayle BG2 | Swylif | Skie BG2 | White | GaheshLa'Viconia
In-progress projects: Sarine (contribution) | The Purple Splinter | Foundling
Contribution: Ilmatar's Portrait Pack | PaintBG | InfinityKits | Sarevok Friendship

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Modders
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 11:12:02 AM »
...Aeon (however later he just kind of like charname)...

I was thinking this is probably the easiest way to get around constant payments, but that would be dependent on how the PC treats said mercenary.  Other than that, he'd either have to find a personal reason for wanting to stay minus pay or I'd have to figure out a timer so you have to pay him a certain amount every week or so.

On hold - Halbo NPC for BG2, the evil halfling thief, food critic, and party troublemaker

Offline Tatterdemalion

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 03:44:11 PM »
I'm working on writing an NPC, Brody, who is a mostly-human Bounty Hunter (because I've seen so many people complain that there's no uni-class thief who stays... and specifically that the Bounty Hunter kit gets most useful long after Yoshimo is gone, and it would be nice to have one you can keep through ToB.) and explicitly hires on as a mercenary. I have no idea whether I will get her out the gate, but the idea came to me in 2008 and I've returned to writing her this year, so maybe coding will happen eventually. :-)

I was originally thinking of having a weekly pay stipulation in her contract, but it seems like that would be awkward to code, so I changed it to a signing fee and a termination fee plus a "proportionate share" of loot... I may have a subplot where she demands a particular item be bought with her share of the money.

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Modders
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 03:59:05 PM »
I'm working on my mercenary NPC now.  I decided to go with a weekly fee precisely because I do NOT know how to code that, but it's fun learning new stuff.  Ultimately, that's why I work on mods.... because it's fun to learn new stuff and then watch it work.  Then again, there are times when it just won't work, but I try not to speculate on that.   ;D

Offline Lord-Jyssev

• Modders
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 08:15:52 PM »
Will there be a point in which the NPC might grow fond of the party and stop charging?

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Modders
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 09:15:54 PM »
Will there be a point in which the NPC might grow fond of the party and stop charging?

I intend to provide an option for that, yes.  Not without some effort though.