Author Topic: Area Descriptions  (Read 3791 times)

Offline Lord-Jyssev

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Area Descriptions
« on: July 29, 2012, 01:21:05 AM »
Feel free to provide feedback on what I come up with. What might you want to see more of / less of, given the climate of the district? I will provide more as I develop the accompanying 3D structures.

The Gem District
The Gem District is a member of Athkatla's more wealthy uptown. Situated just north of the river, the area has garnered a reputation for being the business sector of the city, as it is host to a number of wealthy trade organizations within its limits. A small park is central to the district, complete with a pool of water that is fed by a towering aqueduct. Most of the year, flowers grace the poolside, giving respite to the stench and ugliness that plagues city life.

This time of the year, however, a festival put on by the local trading coasters and noble houses takes place along the waters of the central pool and throughout the rest of the district. Tents, stalls, and awnings are erected and months-long celebration ensues in Waukeen's honor. The Carnival of the Coin draws a great deal of visitors from near and far alike and is an annual boon to the district's economy, not to mention the pockets of the hosts.

The Gem District is certainly prime real estate to the limited few who can afford its affluence.

Silverale Hall
The Gem District contains one of the largest inns of Athkatla, Silverale Hall. The inn and tavern is an old stone building, four floors in height. It towers over the district, situated against the district's east wall. Its crumbled plaster exterior exposes some of the weathered brickwork, giving true testament to the building's age.

Despite its haggard exterior, the inside of the Hall is quite contemporary. Patrons of the Silverale Hall are diverse in social standing, despite the uptown location. Beds are plenty and are found to be varying in quality depending on what you are willing to pay. A large kitchen and bar caters to guests of the hall, serving delicacies such as Cormyrian game hen and Amnish spiced rice.

In fact, the first floor of the hall is dedicated to some of the finest dining one can have while visiting the Gem District. The good-sized bar serves a number of exotic alcohols imported from up and down the Sword Coast and further East. The kitchen runs non-stop to serve the dining patrons of the first floor.

From the hustle and bustle of the ground level, the lounge of the second floor provides a pleasant retreat. Comfy couches are arranged so as to provide meeting areas. Indeed, individuals can rent the entire floor for meetings or conferences. Tucked away to the corners of the lounge are a pair of double suites. Access to the exterior balcony as available on the second floor of the hall.

The last two floors are dedicated to suites of varying quality. Fine silks and satins adorn the beds of the more opulent rooms. The fourth floor is more of an attic, converted into very cheap living accommodations for the lower class who visit the district during its festivities.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:55:28 PM by Lord-Jyssev »

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Modders
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Area Descriptions
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 06:08:30 PM »
Not sure if you had planned for it, but this would be awesome as well.

The Dome of the Rose, monastery and temple to Lathander in the city's Gem District. Mornmaster Thaddin Dawnhunter (Lawful Neutral, Human Priest of Lathander Level 11), a quiet, pious priest with little trade-sense, oversees other priests, monks, and followers. The three-story temple hall is capped with a dome of rose tinted glass that glows at dawn during morning song and prayer service

Offline Lord-Jyssev

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Re: Area Descriptions
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 06:35:43 AM »
I do remember reading descriptions of the Dome of the Rose when I started modeling. I wasn't sure if I wanted to include the largest temple to Lathander in the Gem District, when the church is supposed to be a prominent part of the Temple District. Would that blur the lines of the districts too much?

I look at the other districts for inspiration mostly, and the other temples that are scattered about aren't really a major part of the district that they're in. They don't really have any quests attached or anything.