Author Topic: Yeslick NPC  (Read 8933 times)

Offline Magnus

• Global Moderator
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
Yeslick NPC
« on: April 09, 2005, 08:41:40 PM »
Here is his stats and bio from Baldur's Gate. I may increase some stats since in real life some stats increase or decrease as ye age.  :wink:

Yeslick Stats

Sex: male
Race: dwarf
Class: fighter/cleric
Alignment: lawful-good
Str 15
Dex 12
Con 17
Int 07
Wis 16
Cha 10

Biography

When asked about his past, YESLICK quietly states that he was once a member of the dwarven clan Orothiar. For generations they used the iron mine in the center of Cloakwood as their home, but almost a century ago catastrophe struck. As skilled as they are underground, dwarves occasionally make mistakes. One such incident cost them dearly. They apparently breached an underground river and the resulting flood claimed nearly all of the clan. Yeslick was one of the few survivors, and made his way to Sembia to start a new life.

There he made the acquaintance of Rieltar, a member of the Iron Throne, and was hired as a personal smith. They became friends, and eventually Yeslick told of his past. This proved to be his undoing, as Rieltar used this information to formulate a plan to expand the Iron Throne power base in the Sword Coast. Rieltar betrayed his supposed friend and forced him to reveal the location of the mines. Yeslick has been imprisoned ever since so as not to reveal the site to others. Now he wishes for nothing but the chance to right the wrongs that have been committed using his ancestral home.
Where's me bleedin ale?

My Mods & Contributions:

Dark Horizons

CoM Encounters

Offline Magnus

• Global Moderator
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
Yeslick NPC
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 08:42:26 PM »
Yeslick FACTS fer now.

1 He ain't a bloody romance so let's get that straight. He's a dwarven cleric who feels he owes <charname> a debt since it was <charname> who rescued him back in bg1.

2 I may alter some of his stats like I said in the first post.

3 I may make a Clengeddin cleric kit for him. This all depends on or if I can learn some of the more advanced modding things. I feel I'm steppin into the big leagues with this.
Where's me bleedin ale?

My Mods & Contributions:

Dark Horizons

CoM Encounters

Offline Kish

• ICQ Messenger - 28085879
    • MSN Messenger - Kish_K@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Kish+K+M
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - kish_kelly
    • View Profile
    • http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showforum=76
    • Email
Yeslick NPC
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 10:14:11 AM »
With Rieltar dead and the Iron Throne's plot thwarted, you might want to change his bio for BG2, too.
"You are what you choose to be.  Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

Offline Magnus

• Global Moderator
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
Yeslick NPC
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 03:54:41 PM »
Hmm yes I should change that aye?
Where's me bleedin ale?

My Mods & Contributions:

Dark Horizons

CoM Encounters

Offline Black Robed One

• View Profile
Yeslick Discussion
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 11:57:44 AM »
1 He ain't a bloody romance so let's get that straight. He's a dwarven cleric who feels he owes <charname> a debt since it was <charname> who rescued him back in bg1.

A question...

Exactly why Yeslick ā??ain't a bloody romanceā??

Because he is a cleric?
Well, actually Fearunian deities are VERY tolerant towards the marriage and sex; there isnā??t a single Fearunian deity who demands chastity from his followers and Moradin (whom Yeslick worships, IIRC) is not an exception.

Because he is a dwarf?
But what if <CHARNAME> is also a dwarf? I honestly see no reason why Yeslick shouldnā??t be romanceable for dwarf girls (particularly since I donā??t think there is a romance option for dwarf girls at the moment). He shouldnā??t be romanceable for non-dwarves, though, as other races generally donā??t find dwarves all that attractive (there are exceptions, for example, Morgalla from Elaine Cunninghamā??s ā??Elfsongā? novel was more then a little comely, according to the descriptions, but Yeslick doesn't strike me as one of such exceptions).

Donā??t get me wrong, I am not saying that Yeslick romance is a ā??mustā?, all Iā??m saying is that it would add a nice touch to this mod if you have time and desire to write it.

I donā??t think it would be such a good idea, if truth be told. Stats are part of what NPC ARE, and unless there is a VERY good reason for changing them (other then attempt to "empower" the NPC), I would advise against changing them.

3 I may make a Clengeddin cleric kit for him. This all depends on or if I can learn some of the more advanced modding things. I feel I'm steppin into the big leagues with this.

Not sure what this kit does and how well it suits Yeslick's character, but Yeslick looks good enough as a fighter/cleric to me. I would prefer that you kept him that way.

Offline Raven_Song

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Yeslick Discussion
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 12:24:19 PM »

I donā??t think it would be such a good idea, if truth be told. Stats are part of what NPC ARE, and unless there is a VERY good reason for changing them (other then attempt to "empower" the NPC), I would advise against changing them.

Is the precedent set Bioware a good enough reason?  All returning NPC's, bar the exception of Imoen, saw their basic abilities increased by about three or four points. 
Zhaan: I love all living beings. The seek has re-opened my eyes to the wonder of the spirit. I am now going to devote my life to enlightenment.

Offline Black Robed One

• View Profile
Yeslick Discussion
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 12:52:36 PM »

Is the precedent set Bioware a good enough reason?  All returning NPC's, bar the exception of Imoen, saw their basic abilities increased by about three or four points.

Hm, been a while since I played BG1, but now when you mentioned it, I remember that Jaheira indeed had slight stats increase in BG2. But IIRC, Viconia and Minsc's stats remained exactly the same they were in BG1, and so did Imoen's. Don't remember about Edwin, he's rarely in my party in BG2.

But either way, by "good reasons" I meant in-game scenarios, like Anomen's knighthood which leads to him becoming wiser. It looks like I forgot to put "role-playing" in there somewhere... You see, it was supposed to mean "good role-playing reasons", not "excuse for power gaming".  ::)

All the previous mods that transfered BG1 NPC into BG2 (Alora, Xan, Tiax and most likely Kivan too, though I have never tried that mod) retained NPC's original stats, and I don't see the need to break this tradition with Yeslick mod for the sake of power gaming.

Offline Raven_Song

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Yeslick Discussion
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 01:55:57 PM »

Hm, been a while since I played BG1, but now when you mentioned it, I remember that Jaheira indeed had slight stats increase in BG2. But IIRC, Viconia and Minsc's stats remained exactly the same they were in BG1, and so did Imoen's. Don't remember about Edwin, he's rarely in my party in BG2.

Edwin got a 1 pt increase in STR (9>10) and WIS (9>10)
 Jaheira got a 3pt boost to DEX (14>17)
 Minsc got 1pt boost in DEX (15>16) and CON (15>16)
 Viconia got a 3pt boost to WIS (15>18)

But either way, by "good reasons" I meant in-game scenarios, like Anomen's knighthood which leads to him becoming wiser. It looks like I forgot to put "role-playing" in there somewhere... You see, it was supposed to mean "good role-playing reasons", not "excuse for power gaming". 

I think there only really needs to be an explanation if there is a significant boost to any one stat.  The odd increase spread over a number of stats can be easily explained by adventuring, the NPCs after all gain experience so it makes sense that they would develop physically and mentally as a result.

All the previous mods that transfered BG1 NPC into BG2 (Alora, Xan, Tiax and most likely Kivan too, though I have never tried that mod) retained NPC's original stats, and I don't see the need to break this tradition with Yeslick mod for the sake of power gaming.

Well Kivan and Xan didn't really need any boosting, Xan's total ability points are only four behind Imoen, whose pretty much the benchark for power NPCs. Kivan's six but then his lowest scores are CHA and INT so its nothing vital.  As it stands Yeslick is a full ten points behind Imoen, so I don't think anybody would begrudge him a slight increase (DEX would be nice), and Alora well she needs it more than anybody being a full seventeen points behind Imoen.

*edit*

Just checked in the Alora forum, and it seems Belladonna has decided to give the revised Alora a boost
 STR (8>12) CHA (10>15)

The STR boost can be rationalised by adventuring, the CHA well it's more of a correction of Bioware's mistake me feels. (She supposedly relied on her cute charms to get her out of tigt situations yet only had a charisma of 10?) 

« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 02:16:40 PM by Nevar »
Zhaan: I love all living beings. The seek has re-opened my eyes to the wonder of the spirit. I am now going to devote my life to enlightenment.

Offline Khiras

• Dwarf Lover
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
Yeslick Discussion
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 02:05:44 PM »

A question...

Exactly why Yeslick ā??ain't a bloody romanceā??
I'll give ya three reasons ya beardless nancy.
A. The poor dwarf is old and world weary, not some hormonal young Elven pretty boy.
B. The author don't want no romance to write
C. Well I can't think of it

As people stretch themselves to the limits through adventuring they become stronger. Plus there are those magic books.

View Edwin: Str+1 Wis+1
View Jaheira Dex+3
View Minsc Dex+1 Con+1
View Viconia Wis+3

Imoen doesn't change(though usually I cheat in a book of Str for her, since I gave it to her in BG1)

Not sure what this kit does and how well it suits Yeslick's character, but Yeslick looks good enough as a fighter/cleric to me. I would prefer that you kept him that way.
I'm betting it makes Yeslick a single class specialty priest of Clangeddin with such special abilities(as described probably in deities and Demigods), or it adds the kit to his cleric class and he gets a kit despite being multi-classed.

EDIT: Ya beat me to it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 02:07:16 PM by Khiras »

Offline Raven_Song

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Yeslick Discussion
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 02:11:23 PM »

Yeah but you answered all of the questions. ;)

Offline Raven

• Miriam's sane half
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
  • Like Awesome!
    • View Profile
    • Vampire Tales
Yeslick Discussion
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 05:39:02 PM »
I thought he mentioned it here or was it at the old forums? Any way he has mentioned it to me personally. Magnus doesn't care much for romances and doesn't believe "every bloody npc should be a romance" be it mods or original npcs, his words in quotes.

Well better yet instead of being a 3rd party of information, I'll ask him to come on here when he gets home.
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Offline Magnus

• Global Moderator
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
Yeslick Discussion
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 06:27:49 AM »
That is true we 'ave plenty of npcs that are romances, we dinnae need another.

Yeslick is an old dwarf and past his time for romancing. I see him as a good friend of <CHARNAME> and nothin more. Yeslick is grateful for <CHARNAME>'s help with the mines and would like to repay <CHARNAME> by helpin him/her out.

Ans about the stats, the Bioware npcs that are in BG2 had some increases, the price of learning and adventurin I daresay.  ;)
Where's me bleedin ale?

My Mods & Contributions:

Dark Horizons

CoM Encounters

Offline Black Robed One

• View Profile
Yeslick Discussion
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 07:42:03 AM »
That is true we 'ave plenty of npcs that are romances, we dinnae need another.

But there is no romance for dwarves at the moment. And IMHO, the more romanceable NPCs there are out there - the better (I don't mind non-romanceable NPCs either, though). But...

Yeslick is an old dwarf and past his time for romancing. I see him as a good friend of <CHARNAME> and nothin more. Yeslick is grateful for <CHARNAME>'s help with the mines and would like to repay <CHARNAME> by helpin him/her out.

...Well, I have to admit that it has been a few years since I played BG1, and I didn't remember that Yeslick was that old. My bad here, I guess.

Offline Beetle

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Yeslick Discussion
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 08:57:28 AM »
But there is no romance for dwarves at the moment. And IMHO, the more romanceable NPCs there are out there - the better (I don't mind non-romanceable NPCs either, though). But...

Well, there's Fade (currently SoA only with ToB close to being done). She'll romance males of any race.

I also tend to prefer a romance option, but at this point I'm in favor of any decision that gives <charname> a good alternative to Anomen as soon as possible.
No animals were harmed in the making of this post.