Author Topic: Tashia (BG2)  (Read 3509 times)

Offline Amy

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
Tashia (BG2)
« on: August 12, 2010, 01:11:15 PM »
By: Aldeth the Foppish Idiot
BG2/ToB Tashia Modification Pack
Version 2.05e
First Posted On: May 20, 2004
Review Updated On: May 24, 2004
Get the Mod: http://tashia.fwstudios.net/

Tashia is a female elven neutral good sorcerer ‚?? or perhaps I should call her a sorceress. She can be found at the tavern in Trademeet, and is romanceable if your PC is male. There are no racial restrictions on the romance, however, as a neutral good character, Tashia will not join parties with a low reputation. As such, it doesn't matter what race your PC is, but if you're evil you may not get Tashia to join with you.

First some general points on Tashia. Tashia will banter with all of the other NPCs in the game, as well as with your PC. The only voice acting in the mod is when you click on Tashia‚??s picture, or when she scores a critical hit or a critical miss. Obviously, since the voice actors of the original NPCs were not available for making the mod, there are no sound sets for the in-party banters. Additionally, there are no sound sets for the lovetalks either, although there is a new musical composition that plays during the lovetalks.

One complaint that is frequently heard from many people who install NPC mods is that the new NPC is overpowered compared to the original NPCs. While it is possible to argue that Tashia‚??s class is overpowered (as all sorcerers tend to be), I do not think she is overpowered in terms of abilities, stats, or starting equipment. She has no special abilities beyond that which all elves receive, at least none that seem to affect gameplay.

EDIT: Tashia starts with 25% magic resistnace and 10% cold resistance - thanks to Earl Grey for pointing this out - END EDIT

She does mention that she is able to see other people‚??s dreams, but this didn‚??t do anything with regard to gameplay. Her stats are high, but not impossibly high. All of her stats are in the range of 11-16 except dexterity, which is 19. However, as an elf, a 19 in dexterity is possible. I‚??m sure many players have had a PC with stats that rival or exceed Tashia‚??s, so I view her stats as high, but not to the point that you couldn‚??t produce a PC with similar stats if you were willing to roll for about 5-10 minutes. There is nothing overly spectacular about her starting equipment either. She tells you she grew up in Icewind Dale, and as such she has items that give her resistance to cold ‚?? specifically a Robe of Cold Resistance, and Boots of the North. Her main weapon is a Staff Spear +2, and the only particularly good item she starts with is a Ring of Acuity, which gives her some extra spells.

EDIT: Tashia also has a leopard figurine that summons the spirit leopard Peanelian once per day. It works just like the black spider figurine you get in the graveyard district. The figurine is very powerful, and Peanelian is on par with the improved black spider figurine available with the Item Upgrade Mod. - END EDIT

None of these items far exceed what you would expect an 11th level sorcerer to possess. So if Tashia is overpowered, it is due to her class, not because she starts with outrageous stats or equipment.

The gameplay with Tashia is the same as you would get with any other sorcerer. I picked her up at level 11, so I had complete control of all of her spell choices for level 6-9, and I was able to select several of her spells for levels 3-5. I do not remember all of the spells I chose, and which ones she came with.

EDIT - Thanks again to Early Grey for this one. There seems to be some discepancy in Tashia's starting spell selection. The spells I started with were similar to Grey's in level 1, 3 and 4, but different for levels 2 and 5. I deleted my list of her starting spell selection from the review as it may not be consistent. Additionally, it appears that it is possible to pick up Tashia when she is in excess of 11th level (up to 1 million XP according to Grey), and so it is possible to have her come to the party with level 6 spells. I went immediately to Trademeet as soon as I got out of Irenicus' Dungeon, so most, if not all, of my party members had under 500,000 XP when I picked up Tashia. END EDIT

The one complaint I have with Tashia is the way her romance works. In my case, the romance didn't work. Unfortunately, I did not realize that it wasn't working until I reached the end of SoA. For starters, there seems to be an excessively long time between lovetalks. I did all of the Chapter 2 quests prior to leaving for Spellhold, and she had approximately 12 lovetalks by the time I started Chapter 6. She typically talks about her past, and a previous love interest, who also happened to be a Bhaalspawn. At one point, the party was attacked by friends of this other Bhaalspawn, but her former love interest never showed up or attacked the party himself. Then, once I started Chapter 6, her love talks stopped altogether after the first one when I left the Underdark. I finished up my stronghold and did the newly opened map areas before fighting Bodhi, so there should have been an adequate amount of time for additional lovetalks, but Tashia didn‚??t say another word to me. On her last lovetalk that I heard (and these aren‚??t direct quotes ‚?? I‚??m paraphrasing here), she thanks you for being so supportive when she talks about her past, and how she feels she can trust you even though you‚??re a Bhaalspawn too. Then she says that without you she would have continued to dwell on her past, but now she feels she can get on with her life. To me, that sounded like the perfect cue for her old flame to show up, but nothing happened, and she didn‚??t speak beyond that. As it turns out, the other Bhaalspawn should have turned up (thanks JSSB) but for some reason or another, did not in my game. All of the correct responses in the lovetalks were painfully obvious, so there‚??s no way I could have said something that would have ended the romance. As a result, I am certain that I didn‚??t complete the romance, but I did not realize this until Bodhi didn‚??t kidnap her when I went to the Graveyard in Chapter 6.

In closing, there is one more point I would like to touch on: The Tashia mod allows you to choose a Sorcerer besides Kelsey (another mod which happens to be extremely popular), and I would argue that her starting spell selection is actually more useful than Kelsey‚??s. Strangely enough, this similarity to Kelsey simultaneously strengthens and weakens the mod. The strength is that sorcerers are an extremely popular class, and that alone will gain interest for this mod. Unfortunately, other than their sex, there isn‚??t anything about Tashia that favorably compares to Kelsey. Very few people will argue that the Kelsey mod isn‚??t the most complete mod available, and by making the Tashia mod so similar, it was impossible to avoid comparisons. Not to beat a point to death, but the Tashia mod simply can‚??t compete with the Kelsey mod. Because Tashia and Kelsey are the same class, and both fit in well with good parties, there isn‚??t anything in the Tashia mod that makes you say ‚??Wow!‚?Ě as a reason for selecting her over Kelsey (unless you happen to want a female sorcerer). And the biggest flaw with all of this is it didn‚??t have to be that way. Based on her banters, I think she is somewhat miscast as a neutral good character, and an alignment of true neutral or possibly even chaotic neutral (given her mood swings) seems closer to the mark to me. That simple change would have separated her from Kelsey as she would have been an option for neutral or evil parties and would have greatly improved the mod.

Overall, I thought the mod was decent, but based on what happened (or to be more accurate - what didn‚??t happen) with the romance, and the fact that this mod competes directly with the Kelsey mod, I can‚??t give it rave reviews. Some may argue that it isn‚??t fair to compare this mod to Kelsey, but honestly I cannot see any reason why you would choose Tashia over Kelsey other than a possible love interest. I will play this mod through again, in an effort to complete the romance, but right now, I can‚??t do better than give it a 5 out of 10.

Source

Offline Amy

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
Re: Tashia (BG2)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 01:23:37 PM »
Tashia is a female elf sorcerer. You can download her here:
Spellhold Studios - Tashia
Tashia is romanceable by males. As a sorcerer, she is an acceptable choice for power gamers. She doesn‚??t have exceptionally twinky stats, but she does have some nice (without being overwhelming) equipment. She comes with a ring of acuity and has a companion that is not affected by Time Stop. This companion is not exceptionally powerful; I personally didn‚??t use it because I thought it was a bit much for a starting character to have it. She has an interesting background and doesn‚??t whine like the Black Isle females. I choose the second alternate photograph which is a very pretty. She is upbeat and witty. I personally prefer her to Kelsey, but Kelsey is a great NPC too.

Source