Author Topic: Baldur's Gate 1 area conversion to Baldur's Gate 2 by Bardez  (Read 3786 times)

Offline Amy

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
I seem to be the proverbial pioneer for this project and like ones, I suppose, so it is only fitting to write a tutorial of sorts for this.

I apologize if it seems degrading, but I have read far too many 'tutorials' that tutor not a damned thing but confusion. If this seems too step-by-step for you, I apologize.

Converting an area from BG1 to BG2 (or any other I suppose):

I personally use winbiff to extract the files, as to avoid problems with animations if they are present.

To do so, just open up winbiff, extract you ARE file, then open the corresponding AREAxxxx BIFF and place them in a temporary folder. Make a new folder for your new files (do NOT overwrite any of these files!)

Next, open up IETME, set its path to BG2 (or whichever game) and restart if you changed the game path.

switch to map editing, and open your area.

now there will be four possible types of maps:

1) Overlay map (with green water)
2) Animation map (i.e.: fireplaces in a house)
3) Both (I have only noticed candlekeep so far)
4) Neither, the best kind of map!

Note: if it is a Baldur's Gate map (the actual city) there will also be a night tileset.

this section will be for each individual scenario

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) - Overlay Map only
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it is an overlay map, switch to map editor, and save the bitmap.

now, for RAM's sake, close IETME.

open up DIE Green Water (I apologize for the name, seriously) and load the bitmap

NOTE: this tool is crude and offers little error protection. Just don't do anything like press cancel and it will work) And it needs roughly 60 Megs of free RAM to run (and it MUST be in 32-bit color resolution, if only for the duration of the program)

if there is only a certain area of the map you wish to change, open your bitmap into a graphics editor and figure the co-ordinates of the start of the area and the end [a rectangular area, obviously, and i will go so far as to assume you can find co-ordinates on your own ; ) ]

then simply press the "Color Change" button. this should take around a minute to four on a 700+ CPU.

when it pops up with a "done" message box, save the bitmap AS A NEW FILE, DO NOT OVERWRITE!!

If the green water is completely green in the original map, open up color change and pick a replacement color (sorry, there is no avoiding it in this instance.)

if not, open Fill Green Water, and load the original bitmap.
this is where the co-ordinates help. Get as close as you can co-ordinates wise, press "Fill Green," grab a Pepsi, coffee, a cigarette, or surf the web. This can take up to 15 to twenty minutes for a LARGE map (on my 933Mhz Pentium III processor anyway). when it's all done, save it.

now what you want to do is open up IETME once again and load your area again. Now select your first (if there is more than one) overlay. click Add/delete tiles (do NOT remove the overlay. this just causes problems)

remove ALL tiles. if there is another overlay, do the same thing all over again. once all the overlays are cleared, switch to the map editor and load the FILLED GREEN bitmap. This will save you from the tedious work of manually filling in the green water. Switch back to the Area editor.

now ADD ALL TILES BACK INTO THEIR RESPECTIVE OVERLAYS.
after you start on the path to carpel-tunnel and finish with the overlays, switch BACK TO map editing (again)

now load the DIE Green Water bitmap. This will be the finishing touch. The map-map is regular now, but after the regular map tiles, the tilset keeps overlay tiles.There will be no green (but IETME kept the filled green for the overlay tiles at the end) and so if you check show overlays, the green will magically appear. Now for the love of Illmater, SAVE YOUR AREA, and REBUILD THE TIS file!! remember to save in a new folder.

you can edit the area from here.

2) Animation Map only

This is nice and easy, but too much trial and error to get this to work before i figured out just how easy this is.

open the area, and do all your editing. save the area into a new folder. Now delete the new WED file in this folder.

copy the old WED file into the new folder. (note: if you are renaming the area, you will have to hex-edit the WED file to the new name. it is in the first few offsets, so it will not be difficult to find at all)

now open the original TIS file in my TIS editor.
I'm sorry for this part, but i'm too lazy to fix this bug. And I'm done with this part of editing, so i doubly (is that a word?) don't care.

now save this TIS file into the new folder. Wow. that did almost nothing. but added a header to the TIS. BG2 will die on you if the TIS doesn't have a header.

here's why I apologized: drag down to the last tile. remember that number. add 1
go into calculator (programs>accessories>calc duh.) go into scientific mode.

type in this number (with one added or if you're dumb hit + 1 and let it do it for you :P ) and click the HEX option.

IF
this new value is longer than 2 characters (i.e.: A93)
THEN
response #100
take the last 2 characters (93) and then the other one or two (0A) or whatever you got and go into a hex editor. load the new TIS file in the hex there will be a bunch of numbers and letters. but at offset 0x8 (or where the pairs of 0's start) type the last two numbers and then the rest (it would be for our example 93 0A) SAVE this new TIS again. you're done with that.
END

3) Overlay & Animation Maps

Argh. What a pain in my ass. And yours, too, I guess. But i speak from too much time spent trying to figure this out (5 months off and on)

go to step one. finish it.

Now if you're lucky (i only tried this on candle keep; its the only one with both, i think) find the animation (in this case the flag -- this HAS to be from the ORIGIONAL TIS file) in my TIS editor. it scans between tiles a lot quicker than NearInfinity does. save bitmaps of the animation (6 tiles) remember the tile slots (it should save the name of the slots with the bitmaps) Close the editor and open it back up (trust me on this -- you HAVE to, i wrote it) load your new TIS file, and jump to the slots where the flag WAS. It should be brown. now load the bitmaps and click "insert tile at." move onto the next tile, repeat until all 6 are done

NOTE: it does not refresh the top picture, sorry. I dn't care enough to make it do that. I'm not making you use this, and i'm getting $000 out of it. Pretty is irrelevant. {Damn, I'm a heartless, cynical bastard, huh?}

now save your new TIS. you don't need to do the calculator thing this time.

now that should be working.

4) Neither Maps

Yay! Just edit them! And then save them. Then you're done.

That's that I guess.

NOTES: if a map has a door and an overlay in the same tile, it sucks. open the editor, delete that tile from the overlay. Now save, and open a hex editor. use IESDP to find the WED entry for that specific tile (i did if by sheer fucking luck to be honest, but it does work) and set the reference for the tile on the regular map (say 1200) to the tile after the main map in the TIS (say 4803) but 4803 needs to do the hex conversion thing i talked about earlier (without the +1)

THEN you edit the regular rile in my TIS editor (tile 1200) save a bitmap and remove that green, then insert the edited tile back in place. Confused? I was too. basically don't bother. I already did it. Steal it from me. I won't sue you. I don't think.

NOTE: in the case of a BG city area, after you do the map editing, change the ARxxxx.Tis ti something else ("ARxxxx.TIS.old" for example) and rename ARxxxxN.tis to ARxxxx.tis

repeat teh above procedures for the second tileset. And change the name of ARxxxx.WED that you just made, you don't want that work done for nothing do you? after it's said and done, rename your new WED to ARxxxxN.WED and the new TIS to ARxxxxN.tis. yay.

i guess you stingy bastards want my tools, too huh? alright, alright.
hold on a while will ya?