Author Topic: Custom Item Making Using IEEP  (Read 26641 times)

Offline Solaufein

• Lord of the Realms
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
  • The night is dark and full of terrors...
    • ICQ Messenger - 251194643
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - gscott7833
    • View Profile
    • http://teambg.net
Custom Item Making Using IEEP
« on: July 11, 2012, 06:24:09 AM »
Basic item making using IEEP's Item Maker
Written by: ToddTeamBG

Contents
--------
Foreword
Chapter 1 - Item Concept
Chapter 2 - Item Background Design
Chapter 3 - Item Concept Expansion
Chapter 4 - Ability Defining within Infinity Engine Game
Chapter 5 - Making Item General Information
Chapter 6 - Making Item Text Information
Chapter 7 - Making Item Other Information
Chapter 8 - Getting Your Item into Your own Game
Chapter 9 - Sharing Your Item with Others

-----

Foreword

I have had many people ask about detailed instructions for making items or a tutorial of some kind about using the Infinity Engine Editor Pro (IEEP) and its Item Maker program. Well I have decided to sit down and write out this document in hopes it will help people in trying to design and make new items using these programs. Please remember that this document, the programs it mentions for editing the games, and any of this information presented is not sanctioned or supported by Interplay or Bioware.

In this document, I will go through all the steps and processes that I consider important in designing a new item and then following through with making it actually in the programs. As an example I will be going through the document using an example of making a sword with the Item Maker v1.2.0 for Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn to illustrate what it is I am trying to say in each part.

-Todd

-----

Chapter 1 - Item Concept

The first thing to should always be done is to sit down and write out what it is you are wanting to make with the item and what it is to do. Start out with the simplest concept and expand from there till you have what it is you feel you want to make. Try to write in detail of atleast what abilities, powers, functions, etc. that you want the item to perform and when it should perform these things.

For my example I start with a sword. I want to make a sword of some type, so I sit down and then try to think of what it is that makes this sword any different than a regular one. So I come up with the following things:

Sword type will be a long sword
Fire Damage with each hit
Cold Damage with each hit

---

Chapter 2 - Item Background Design

The next thing is to sit down and write out a background or description of the item to be used in the game. If it is a normal type item then just a general summary of what it is, how it is generally used, what its powers are, and who if anybody that is restricted in its use should be written. In my own personal opinion, if the item is unique or special (like maybe only a certain cult uses it or something similar) then you should make a background describing this. Doing so will add color and flavor to the item and people who use it will appreciate this and make the item seem more alive or part of the game. Also at this point you can do what the people at Bioware seem to favor, and give the item some nickname if you wish.

For my example I think about why this long sword would be able to do fire and cold damage and think up an interesting and good reason for this as follows:

Long Sword +2 - "Koranuk's Torture"

Back sometime in the history of the land of Yortasha there was a strong wizard-king who ruled with an iron fist named Koranuk. Though he was gone a lot of the time, he left competent advisors and trusted individuals in charge of running his small country. This wizard-warrior had always been obsessed with fire and things relating to it, and so in the times he was gone would be off in search of fire relics or maybe exploring some fire-land through mystical means.

During the times he was present in his land he would have gladiatorial combats with fire creatures for amusement or maybe set a fire elemental or one of its kin loose to destroy the peasantry whilst he watched with glee at the fiery destruction. He was also known for his torturous ways where he would burn a man alive a little bit at a time so that they would survive through loss of arms and legs and possibly more before dying. Due to these temperaments of his and of course his powerful warrior skills he rarely had any outspoken opponents whom lived very long.

Finally after 25 years of this tyrannical rule, a supposed hero came forward. He was a knight in a shining white armor on a white steed and challenged Koranuk to a fight. During the course of the battle Koranuk had attempted to cheat of course with the use of the mystical arts, but all his fire incantations failed against the heroic savior as they were absorbed into his sword. When the smoke cleared, Koranuk was dead on the ground and the new hero raised to his position as king.

However, what was not known by many was the fact that the hero in white armor was really Koranuk's son and was hiding behind strong incantations to appear otherwise. In secret he had kept his father from death and locked away in a special cell where he would go each night and torture him with his special sword since dubbed Koranuk's Torture. This long sword when wielded would freeze an opponent with coldness and suck the heat from objects. The sword had been dipped in ices of the Para-Elemental Plane of Ice during its forging. In the end Koranuk died of the insane tortures of his son with a frozen bloody stump all that was left, though some said his ghost still haunted the place.

Years later when the son disappeared mysteriously it was rumored by those of power that his father's ghost had been consumed him with the very weapon that he had perished to. The sword disappeared for hundreds of years before turning up again, but this time its power had changed. Now the weapon would burn opponents with its fire as well as freeze them with coldness... the legends say that both souls, father and son, are now trapped within fighting each other still with cold against fire.
My mods:
Dark Horizons
The Undying
Nikita
IWD2 store

Co-contributor:
Dark Side of the Sword Coast BG1 Weidu
Aurils Bane
Encounters
Saerileth
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Offline Solaufein

• Lord of the Realms
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Item Making Using IEEP
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 06:24:10 AM »
Chapter 3 - Item Concept Expansion

The next thing is to take these concepts you have made from the first chapter and then from the second chapter in the history and expand them out with detail and make the item more defined. Also when doing this maybe you will come up with more ideas or thoughts as to what the item can do. Remember to determine things like is a saving throw needed for the ability, power, function, etc.; is there a limit to the number of uses of this ability, power, function, etc.; or does the item only get a set number of uses then disappears; etc.

For my example I now take the information above and define it more as follows:

Sword type will be a long sword of +2 value
Fire Damage with each hit, no saving throw, does 1d3 damage
Cold Damage with each hit, no saving throw, does 1d3 damage
Can cast Fire Resistance, once a day, gives 30% protection
Can cast Cold Resistance, once a day, gives 30% protection
Then from this I can make the statistical information part for the description of the item, by taking the default information for a long sword and adjusting it to my specifics:

Special Abilities (once per day):
Ability 1:
Effect: Fire Resistance
Ability 2:
Effect: Cold Resistance

THAC0: +2 bonus
Damage: 1D8 + 2, +1D3 Cold Damage, +1D3 Fire Damage
Damage type: slashing
Weight: 4
Speed Factor: 2
Proficiency Type: Long Sword
Type: 1-handed
Requires: 6 Strength
Not Usable By:
Druid
Cleric
Mage

-----

Chapter 4 - Ability Defining within Infinity Engine Game

Okay now you got your item and description and all the abilities you want it to have. Next you need to look at the abilities your item has and then see if you can match them up to Effects in the Infinity Engine game you are wanting to make this item for. One way to figure this out is to look at other items or spells that you know have or use the ability you have chosen for your item. This can be a really hard part, as you need to try to define what you want the item to do with what the game engine itself can do.

Now for my example the following are the effects I will need based on the abilities I chose for it:

Fire Damage - handled by Fixed/Random Damage
Cold Damage - handled by Fixed/Random Damage
Fire Resistance - handled by Fire Resistance Bonus
Cold Resistance - handled by Cold Resistance Bonus
My mods:
Dark Horizons
The Undying
Nikita
IWD2 store

Co-contributor:
Aurils Bane
Encounters
Saerileth

Offline Solaufein

• Lord of the Realms
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 06:24:11 AM »
Chapter 5 - Making Item General Information

Now we are into the real guts of it and adding the information to the Item Maker itself about the item. Okay now I will go into detail describing what each field on the General Information screen is incase you do not know what they mean.

Base Price - this is the straight price for the item which will be modified based on reputation, the particular store your in, and whether your buying or selling to determine the monetary value in the game.

Stack Maximum - this is the maximum number of items of this type that can be stacked together in one inventory slot.

Lore to ID - this is the lowest Lore value a character can have and be able to identify this item if it is currently unidentified.

Enchanted to Hit - this is the enchantment of the item as it concerns being able to damage an opponent if the item is used as a weapon. Thus if a creature is immune to +2 weapons or lower, then a weapon would have to have 3 or higher here in order to be able to damage the creature.

Proficiency - this is the weapon proficiency needed to use this item properly if it is a weapon. If it is not a weapon or if the game the item is for is not Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, then this field is not used.

Item Type - this defines what general type of item that this particular item is. This will be used to determine things like which slot in inventory it can be put in, and I believe in the other games besides Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn it determines the proficiency needed to use this item if it is a weapon.

Paper Doll - this will determine what graphical addition the item will make to the avatar (the image seen moving on the game screen) for the character.

Weight - this is the weight of the item as used by the game to determine encumbrance on an individual carrying the item.

ICON REFERENCES - these four fields are references to files used by the game for this item and the reference is always without the extension of actual file. A good way to find which reference to use if the reference is one for a BAM file is to use Infinity Explorer and go through the BAM files of the game you are going to make the item for. However, if you have the resources and know-how to make your own custom BAM files them by all means do so as people will enjoy that so much more than seeing something they already know what it looks like.

Inventory - this is the filename of the inventory BAM file that is used to show the graphical representation of the item on the screen.
Ground - this is the filename of the ground BAM file that is used to show the graphical representation of the item when on the ground.
Desc. Pic - this is the filename of the description BAM file that is used to show the graphical representation of the item in the description screen on the left side.
Destroyed - this is the filename of the ITM file that the item becomes if it is destroyed. NOTE: if this reference is left blank then the item will simply disappear when destroyed which can occur from using up of all charges if it isn't limited to so many per day.
Next there is the Attributes for the item which sets information about the item itself. In order for an Attribute to be set or turn on, it has to have a check mark next to it. The following is quick definitions of the various Attributes:

Silver - item is made from silver
Cold-Iron - item is made from cold iron
Droppable - item is droppable, i.e. can be put on the ground or moved around
Cursed - item is cursed and once equipped can only be removed by casting Remove Curse on the individual
Unbreakable/Magical - item is magical and thus unbreakable from normal use
Bow - item is a bow or missile launching weapon of some type
Coversable - item can be talked to from a button on the description screen while in the game
Minimum Level - these are the lowest score an individual can have in level to use this item
Minimum Strength - these are the lowest score an individual can have in Strength to use this item
Minimum Dexterity - these are the lowest score an individual can have in Dexterity to use this item
Minimum Constitution - these are the lowest score an individual can have in Constitution to use this item
Minimum Intelligence - these are the lowest score an individual can have in Intelligence to use this item
Minimum Wisdom - these are the lowest score an individual can have in Wisdom to use this item
Minimum Charisma - these are the lowest score an individual can have in Charisma to use this item
Unknown or ? - these fields are not known as to what they actually mean at this time
Lastly there is the Usability for the item which sets information about who can use item itself. Here is where you set what class, race, alignment, and kits can use the item. In order to be usable by a particular setting it must have a check mark by it.

Equipping Effects - this is a list of the Effects that will take affect when an individual equips the item. Now should be a good time to go through all the fields on the Effects screen:

Effect Choice - this is the effect designation itself, which sets what the Effect will actually do. When you choose the effect to use it should give a small description with information about how to set the properties of this effect to get it to function properly.
Timing Mode - this sets how the timing of the Effect is. Set it to PERMANENT for a permanent effect, WHILE EQUIPPED for it to function when the item is equipped, DURATION to have it last a set amount of time then stop, or DELAYED to have it delay a set amount of time before functioning.
Effect Time - this is the time used when the Timing Mode is set to DELAYED or DURATION.
Probability - this is the probability that the Effect will actually try to function. It is set as a range of values from 0 to 255. How it determines what tries to function and what doesn't is that the game generates a random number between 0 to 100 and if the number is within the range for the probability then it tries to activate. This can be used to make a random set of Effect with each going from the previous number to another one. I.E. if you want three effect to function with one happening 50%, the second 20 % and the third 30% then set the probabilities to 0-50 for the first, 51-70 for the second, and 71-100 for the third.
Target - this sets what type of target the Effect will try to function on. Set it to SELF to affect the user, PRE-TARGET to affect the target chosen from the extension header the effect is in, PARTY to affect the entire party, GLOBAL to affect everything on the entire screen, or GLOBAL WITHOUT PARTY to affect everything on the entire screen except the party.
Resource Key - this is a reference to something which some Effects use. Generally when this field is needed it is a reference to some type of file without the extension, i.e. if it needed a creature file reference and you wanted to use TESTMON.CRE as the reference you would put in TESTMON.
Power - this field is a bit mysterious but from reports what I can tell is that it is used as a sort of strength determiner for how easy it is to dispel or remove the Effect through other spells.
Dice Throws - this is a set of dice throws for the Effect if it needs it. It is in the format of ? D #, where ? is the number of throws and # is the number of sides of the dice.
Saving Throw - this sets what type of saving throw the affected target gets if any.
Saving Throw Bonus - this is the bonus or penalty that the affected target gets to their saving throw.
Parameter 1 - this is a value, which helps define the functionality of the Effect, and is different for each individual Effect as to what its value means. Check the information box for help with what to put here.
Parameter 2 - this is a value, which helps define the functionality of the Effect, and is different for each individual Effect as to what its value means. Check the information box for help with what to put here.
Unknowns - these as the unknown values in an Effect block. These are put here so you can view/change them if you wish to though the actual affect of doing so is unknown at the time that Item Maker v1.2.0 was written.
For my example here is all the information on the General Information:

Base Price - 15000
Stack Maximum - 1
Lore to ID - 70
Enchanted to Hit - 2
Proficiency - Long Sword
Item Type - Other Sword
Paper Doll - Sword 1-Handed
Weight - 4
ICON REFERENCES
Inventory - ISW1H05 (got this from a +1 long sword in the game)
Ground - GSW1H01 (got this from a +1 long sword in the game)
Desc. Pic - CSW1H05 (got this from a +1 long sword in the game)
Destroyed -
Equipping Effects - NONE

Attributes selections turned on or value:

Droppable
Unknown #1 (not sure what this is but most items have it turned on), Unbreakable/Magical
Unknown #2 (not sure what this is but most items have it turned on)
Minimum Strength = 9
Minimum Intelligence = 12

Usability turned on:

All Alignment Values
All Race Values
All Kit Values except Beast Master
Fighter7
Thief
Paladin
Ranger
Bard
Fighter/Thief
Fighter/Mage
Fighter/Mage/Thief
Fighter/Mage/Cleric
Mage/Thief
Monk
My mods:
Dark Horizons
The Undying
Nikita
IWD2 store

Co-contributor:
Aurils Bane
Encounters
Saerileth

Offline Solaufein

• Lord of the Realms
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 06:24:12 AM »
Chapter 6 - Making Item Text Information

Now we are on to adding in the actual description and name information for the item into the Item Maker. On the Item Maker you click the second button on the bottom that looks like a question mark with arrows pointing to it from the four corners, to get to the Text Screen. On this screen you will notice two sides, one marked Unidentified and the other Identified. Also there is two boxes to each side, one only one line big and the other much larger. If you are making an item for Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn you will also notice that there is four check boxes with the words Parse Text either above or below each text box on this screen. The Parse Text check boxes are for if you use certain keywords in your texts that the game will take and replace with something else like which will show the Main NPCs actual name there.

The Unidentified side holds the information show when the item is unidentified in the game and its description is looked at or the cursor is held on top of it to show its name. The first box, the single line one, is the Item Unidentified Name box and you simply type in the name you wish to use here when the item is unidentified and a name for it is needed. The second larger box is for the Unidentified Description Box of the item for use when the item is unidentified and the item description is looked at.

The Identified side holds the information show when the item is identified in the game and its description is looked at or the cursor is held on top of it to show its name. The first box, the single line one, is the Item Identified Name box and you simply type in the name you wish to use here when the item is identified and a name for it is needed. The second larger box is for the Identified Description Box of the item for use when the item is identified and the item description is looked at.

Since you have already gotten all the identified things down earlier then you can simply copy them into the proper boxes. Now as for the unidentified information, this is generally just a generic description for any item of the type you are using. The best thing to do is simply look at the base generic item of the same type you are making and copying it down.

For my example here is the information for this screen, and since I don't have any special characters in my texts I don't need to check Parse Text for any box -
UnID Name: Long Sword

UnID Desc: These swords are usually referred to as doubled-edged swords, war swords, or military swords. In many cases, the long sword has a single-edged blade. There is no single version of the long sword; the design and length vary from culture to culture, and may vary within the same culture depending on the era. Among the most common characteristics of all long swords is their length, which ranges from 35 inches to 47 inches. In the latter case, the blade is known to take up 40 inches of the total length. Most long swords have a double-edged blade and a sharp point at the tip. Despite the tip, the long sword is designed for slashing, not thrusting.

STATISTICS:
Damage: 1D8
Speed Factor: 5
Not Usable By:
Druid
Cleric
Mage

ID Name: Long Sword +2

ID Desc: "Koranuk's Torture"

Back sometime in the history of the land of Yortasha there was a strong wizard-king who ruled with an iron fist named Koranuk. Though he was gone a lot of the time, he left competent advisors and trusted individuals in charge of running his small country. This wizard-warrior had always been obsessed with fire and things relating to it, and so in the times he was gone would be off in search of fire relics or maybe exploring some fire-land through mystical means.

During the times he was present in his land he would have gladiatorial combats with fire creatures for amusement or maybe set a fire elemental or one of its kin loose to destroy the peasantry whilst he watched with glee at the fiery destruction. He was also known for his torturous ways where he would burn a man alive a little bit at a time so that they would survive through loss of arms and legs and possibly more before dying. Due to these temperaments of his and of course his powerful warrior skills he rarely had any outspoken opponents whom lived very long.

Finally after 25 years of this tyrannical rule, a supposed hero came forward. He was a knight in a shining white armor on a white steed and challenged Koranuk to a fight. During the course of the battle Koranuk had attempted to cheat of course with the use of the mystical arts, but all his fire incantations failed against the heroic savior as they were absorbed into his sword. When the smoke cleared, Koranuk was dead on the ground and the new hero raised to his position as king.

However, what was not known by many was the fact that the hero in white armor was really Koranuk's son and was hiding behind strong incantations to appear otherwise. In secret he had kept his father from death and locked away in a special cell where he would go each night and torture him with his special sword since dubbed Koranuk's Torture. This long sword when wielded would freeze an opponent with coldness and suck the heat from objects. The sword had been dipped in ices of the Para-Elemental Plane of Ice during its forging. In the end Koranuk died of the insane tortures of his son with a frozen bloody stump all that was left, though some said his ghost still haunted the place.

Years later when the son disappeared mysteriously it was rumored by those of power that his father's ghost had been consumed him with the very weapon that he had perished to. The sword disappeared for hundreds of years before turning up again, but this time its power had changed. Now the weapon would burn opponents with its fire as well as freeze them with coldness... the legends say that both souls, father and son, are now trapped within fighting each other still with cold against fire.

Special Abilities (once per day):
Ability 1:
Effect: Fire Resistance
Ability 2:
Effect: Cold Resistance

THAC0: +2 bonus
Damage: 1D8 + 2, +1D3 Cold Damage, +1D3 Fire Damage
Speed Factor: 2
Not Usable By:
Druid
Cleric
Mage
My mods:
Dark Horizons
The Undying
Nikita
IWD2 store

Co-contributor:
Aurils Bane
Encounters
Saerileth

Offline Solaufein

• Lord of the Realms
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 06:24:13 AM »
Chapter 7 - Making Item Other Information

Now we are on to adding in the Other Information for the item into the Item Maker, which are the actual abilities besides equipping effects. On the Item Maker you click the third button on the bottom that looks like a sword with a snake wrapped around it, to get to the Other Info Screen. Now the first thing to know is that you will basically need an Extension Header for each major ability the item has, i.e. one for if it does melee damage, one for each spell it can actually cast but not spell-like effects it does when doing attacking strikes to creatures, etc. If you have a weapon that can do multiple attack types like being thrown or used as a melee weapon you need to have two Extension Headers, one for each attack type. Now I will describe what each individual field on this page is for incase you don't already know:

Attack Type - this is how this extension header will be considered for attacking purposes. Select MELEE if you wish it to be hand to hand combat, RANGED if you wish it to be something thrown or launched like a throwing axe or arrows, MAGICAL/NONE if you wish it to be magical like casting a specific spell, or BOW if you wish it to be a launcher of some type like a sling or crossbow.

Use Location - this is where this extension header will show up to be clicked to use. Select WEAPON to make it show up in the weapon slot or MAGICAL to show up under the items slot.

Target Type - this sets what specific type of target the extension header will affect. Select ONE TARGET to one affect one individual target, AREA to have an area affect, SELF to affect the wielder of the item only, INVENTORY ITEM to affect one inventory item, or DEAD/ICON PERSON to affect a dead individual. Also note that for Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn there is a little box next to the Target Type box. This sets how many targets of the type set by the Target Type it will affect. NOTE that a zero will act as one here.

Damage Type - this sets what type of damage this extension header does. NOTE that generally if you have the extension header as a magical one that this is set to Piercing.

Ammo - this sets what type of ammunition that this extension header is. NOTE that if this extension header is a magical one that this is set to Melee.

Speed Factor - this sets the speed factor or quickness of the weapon. Speed factor determines how quickly the extension header acts or in the case of a magical one how long it takes to cast it.

Attack Range - this sets the maximum range the extension header can act in. Generally for Melee weapons this is set to 1, Throwing Daggers are set to 30, Slings are set to 50, Short Bows are set to 75, Throwing Axes are set to 75, Long Bows are set to 100, and Crossbows are set to 100.

Use Icon - this field is a reference to a file used by the game for this item and the reference is always without the extension of actual file, and is the filename of the BAM file that is used to show the graphical representation of the item in the use location set for the item. A good way to find which reference to use if the reference is one for a BAM file is to use Infinity Explorer and go through the BAM files of the game you are going to make the item for. However, if you have the resources and know-how to make your own custom BAM files them by all means do so as people will enjoy that so much more than seeing something they already know what it looks like.

THAC0 Bonus - this is the bonus to the user's THAC0 that is received when using this extension header.

Charges - this is the number of charges that this extension header has. If it is a weapon extension header then it shouldn't need any charges at all and should be set to zero. NOTE that if an item has charges and all of them are used up the item will be destroyed unless the item has the charges set Per Day if applicable to the particular game.

Per Day checkbox - this checkbox tells if the number of charges for this extension header is to function as a per day ability.

Item Damage - this is the damage that this extension header does if it is a weapon header in the format of ? D # + * where ? is the number of dice throws, # is the number of sides on the dice, and * is a constant to add to the result of the dice throws.

Allow Strength Damage checkbox - this checkbox tells if the extension header allows the strength bonus to be added to the item damage.

ID to Use checkbox - this checkbox tells whether the item has to be identified in order for this extension header to be usable.

Xbow/Bolt checkbox - this checkbox tells if this extension header is a crossbow or a bolt or not.

Bow/Arrow checkbox - this checkbox tells if this extension header is a bow or an arrow or not.

Misc Missile checkbox - this checkbox tells if this extension header is a miscellaneous missile or not, i.e. Sling, Throwing Axe, Bullet, Throwing Hammer, etc.

Item Effects - this is a list of the Effects that will take affect when this extension header is activated via use or attack if a weapon.

Next there is the Animation for the item which sets the attack animation for this extension header. The screen for setting this has a good description of what is generally what, but I'll repeat it all here:

The three values must add up to 100 for all items except missile weapons to work correctly. Here is the general known values for various items: 00 20 80 for a Dagger, 10 25 65 for a Short Sword, 50 50 00 for a Long Sword/Bastard Sword/Scimitar/Battle Axe/Warhammer/Club/Mace/Flail/Morning Star, 60 40 00 for a Two-Handed Sword, 00 35 65 for a Halberd, 00 00 100 for a Spear, 10 70 20 for a Staff, 00 00 00 for any Missile Weapon (Bow/Arrow/CrossBow/Bolt/Sling/Bullet/Throwing Axe/Dart/Throwing Dagger/etc.), and 34 33 33 for any Non-Weapon Item (Amulets/Rings/Wands/etc.).
Next there is the Use Graphics for the item which sets the graphics to use when the extension header is activated. NOTE that this is a set graphical choice set by the game engine itself and is used for things like showing the arrow flying to the target, etc. The screen that you make your choice on has the listing of known graphics for the game selected and you can also enter a value by highlighting the wording in the box and typing in the number of the graphic you wish to use.

For my example here is all the information on the Other Info screen showed by each of the three extension headers needed (1 for the weapon part, 1 for Ability 1, and 1 for Ability 2):

Extension Header #1 (weapon header)

Attack Type - Melee
Use Location - Weapon
Target Type - One Target
Damage Type - Slashing
Ammo - Melee
Speed Factor - 2
Attack Range - 1
Use Icon - ISW1H05
THAC0 Bonus - 2
Charges - 0
Per Day checkbox - unchecked
Item Damage - 1d8+2
Allow Strength Damage checkbox - checked
ID to Use checkbox - unchecked
Xbow/Bolt checkbox - unchecked
Bow/Arrow checkbox - unchecked
Misc Missile checkbox - unchecked
Animation button - 50 50 0
Use Graphic button - None
Item Effects -
#1 - Fixed/Random Damage (Doing Magical Fire)
Timing Mode - Permanent
Effect Time - 0
Probability - 0-100
Target - Pre-Target
Resource Key - (BLANK)
Power - 5
Dice Throws - 1d3
Saving Throw - No Save
Saving Throw Bonus - 0
Parameter 1 - 0
Parameter 2 - 0 0 0 4
Unknowns - All 0's
#2 - Fixed/Random Damage (Doing Magical Cold)
Timing Mode - Permanent
Effect Time - 0
Probability - 0-100
Target - Pre-Target
Resource Key - (BLANK)
Power - 5
Dice Throws - 1d3
Saving Throw - No Save
Saving Throw Bonus - 0
Parameter 1 - 0
Parameter 2 - 0 0 0 8
Unknowns - All 0's
Extension Header #2 (ability 1 fire resistance)

Attack Type - Magical
Use Location - Magical
Target Type - Self
Damage Type - Piercing
Ammo - Melee
Speed Factor - 1
Attack Range - 0
Use Icon - SPPR306B
THAC0 Bonus - 0
Charges - 1
Per Day checkbox - checked
Item Damage - 0d6+0
Allow Strength Damage checkbox - unchecked
ID to Use checkbox - checked
Animation button - 34 33 33
Item Effects -
#1 - Fire Resistance Bonus (Gives normal Fire Resistance)
Timing Mode - Duration
Effect Time - 120 (this value is approximately 6 per round for game time so I'm setting it to 20 rounds)
Probability - 0-100
Target - Pre-Target
Resource Key - (BLANK)
Power - 5
Dice Throws - 0d0
Saving Throw - No Save
Saving Throw Bonus - 0
Parameter 1 - 30
Parameter 2 - 0
Unknowns - All 0's
#2 - Reduced Damage from Heat Modifier (Gives Magical Fire Resistance)
Timing Mode - Duration
Effect Time - 120 (this value is approximately 6 per round for game time so I'm setting it to 20 rounds)
Probability - 0-100
Target - Pre-Target
Resource Key - (BLANK)
Power - 5
Dice Throws - 0d0
Saving Throw - No Save
Saving Throw Bonus - 0
Parameter 1 - 30
Parameter 2 - 0
Unknowns - All 0's
#3 - Display Special Effect Icon
Timing Mode - Duration
Probability - 0-100
Target - Pre-Target
Resource Key - (BLANK)
Power - 5
Dice Throws - 0d0
Saving Throw - No Save
Saving Throw Bonus - 0
Parameter 1 - 0
Parameter 2 - 16
Unknowns - All 0's
#4 - Play Sound Effect
Timing Mode - Permanent
Effect Time - 0 (this is so it will play one when the effect starts)
Probability - 0-100
Target - Pre-Target
Resource Key - EFF_P11
Power - 5
Dice Throws - 0d0
Saving Throw - No Save
Saving Throw Bonus - 0
Parameter 1 - 0
Parameter 2 - 0
Unknowns - All 0's
#5 - Play Sound Effect
Timing Mode - Delay
Effect Time - 120 (this is so it will play one when the effect runs out)
Probability - 0-100
Target - Pre-Target
Resource Key - EFF_P11
Power - 5
Dice Throws - 0d0
Saving Throw - No Save
Saving Throw Bonus - 0
Parameter 1 - 0
Parameter 2 - 0
Unknowns - All 0's
Extension Header #3 (ability 2 cold resistance)

Attack Type - Magical
Use Location - Magical
Target Type - Self
Damage Type - Piercing
Ammo - Melee
Speed Factor - 1
Attack Range - 0
Use Icon - SPPR210B
THAC0 Bonus - 0
Charges - 1
Per Day checkbox - checked
Item Damage - 0d6+0
Allow Strength Damage checkbox - unchecked
ID to Use checkbox - checked
Animation button - 34 33 33
Item Effects -
#1 - Cold Resistance Bonus (Gives normal Cold Resistance)
Timing Mode - Duration
Probability - 0-100
Target - Pre-Target
Resource Key - (BLANK)
Power - 5
Dice Throws - 0d0
Saving Throw - No Save
Saving Throw Bonus - 0
Parameter 1 - 30
Parameter 2 - 0
Unknowns - All 0's
#2 - Reduced Damage from Cold Modifier (Gives Magical Cold Resistance)
Timing Mode - Duration
Probability - 0-100
Target - Pre-Target
Resource Key - (BLANK)
Power - 5
Dice Throws - 0d0
Saving Throw - No Save
Saving Throw Bonus - 0
Parameter 1 - 30
Parameter 2 - 0
Unknowns - All 0's
#3 - Display Special Effect Icon
Timing Mode - Duration
Probability - 0-100
Target - Pre-Target
Resource Key - (BLANK)
Power - 5
Dice Throws - 0d0
Saving Throw - No Save
Saving Throw Bonus - 0
Parameter 1 - 0
Parameter 2 - 25
Unknowns - All 0's
#4 - Play Sound Effect
Timing Mode - Permanent
Effect Time - 0 (this is so it will play one when the effect starts)
Probability - 0-100
Target - Pre-Target
Resource Key - EFF_P11
Power - 5
Dice Throws - 0d0
Saving Throw - No Save
Saving Throw Bonus - 0
Parameter 1 - 0
Parameter 2 - 0
Unknowns - All 0's
#5 - Play Sound Effect
Timing Mode - Delay
Effect Time - 120 (this is so it will play one when the effect runs out)
Probability - 0-100
Target - Pre-Target
Resource Key - EFF_P11
Power - 5
Dice Throws - 0d0
Saving Throw - No Save
Saving Throw Bonus - 0
Parameter 1 - 0
Parameter 2 - 0
Unknowns - All 0's
My mods:
Dark Horizons
The Undying
Nikita
IWD2 store

Co-contributor:
Aurils Bane
Encounters
Saerileth

Offline Solaufein

• Lord of the Realms
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 06:24:14 AM »
Chapter 8 - Getting Your Item into Your own Game

Well now you have made your item, I'm sure you want to jump right in and use it in your game for testing to make sure you made it correctly as well as to actually use it. First thing is to make sure you save your item into the Override folder of your game directory. Having done that the item will then be able to be brought into the game itself. How you can bring the item into the game is quite varied, but generally one of the following ways is what I would recommend:

1. Use a save game editor (such as the Keeper line of programs) or a character editor (such as the Character Control line of programs) to add the item into your inventory directly. I will not go into detail about how to use such things as it is widely varied depending on which program and should be dealt with by the program itself or those who made it.

2. Use the cheat console to bring the item into the game. To do this you must first edit the initialization file for the game, which is found in the main directory for the game (this file is the baldur.ini for Baldur's Gate 1 and Baldur's Gate 2, and is icewind.ini for Icewind Dale). Use a text editor to edit this file (such as Notepad) and find the section called [Game Options] and add the following line to it:

Cheats=1

Now save the file and when you load the game up and have your save game loaded you wish to add the item in, you bring up the Console by hitting the control key and the proper other key at the same time (for Baldur's Gate this the tab, for Baldur's Gate 2 this is the space bar, and for Icewind Dale this is the space bar). Once the Console is up type in the following command to create the item in your inventory:

*:CreateItem("?",#1,#2)

where * is the beginning command based upon which game you are playing (for Baldur's Gate 1 or Baldur's Gate 2 use CLUAConsole, for Icewind Dale use CHEATERSDOPROSPER, and for Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter use GetYourCheatOn), ? is the name of the item file to create without its extension (i.e. if the name was TLSW101.ITM then you would use TLSW101), #1 is the number of the item to create or the charges for the first extension header at creation, and #2 is the number of charges for the second extension header at creation. NOTE that you have to keep the quotation marks in the command for it to work.

3. Use a Store Editor or hex edit a store file by hand and add in the item you have created so that you can buy it at the store, or edit a creature file to have the item in its inventory so that you can find it when you fight the creature. These types of editing I will not go into in this document, but should be handled by the programs themselves or sites on the web dedicated to hex editing of the game files (such as the Infinity Engine Structures Description Project (IESDP)).

-----

Chapter 9 - Sharing Your Item with Others

Well you have you item and have used it yourself and tested it to make sure it works right and worked all the kinks out of it... the next step you want is to share it with other people around the net. This final part is not as hard as you would think. What you need to do is simply export the item to TBG format. This can be done in the Item Maker itself by loading the item up and selecting Export TBG Item File from the File menu. Next select the name to call the TBG file and a location to save it at and hit the Save button.

Now that you have the item file itself in TBG format, if you have special files (i.e. files you used with the item that wasn't part of the original game such as possibly custom made BAM files for the item, or possibly a DLG file if the item is conversable, a script file the item uses in an Effect, etc.) then you will need to include these files with the TBG file when you give them to others on the net. If you have such files the best way to do this is to use the Infinity Add-On Patcher Pro (i.e. IAP Pro) and create an IAP file with the TBG and other files so that they will be installed into the proper locations automatically (i.e. the individual receiving the item simply must import the IAP and them is ready to use the item via one of the methods listed in Chapter  and you can have the IAP file show a Read Me about the item to tell anything about it you want it to.

Whether you make an IAP file or simply have a TBG with or without other files in you package, just give these to the people you wish to share your item with and all they have to do is import the IAP/TBG with the Infinity Add-On Patcher and they can enjoy your work. Please note that it is customary to put the file(s) into a single zip file along with a small text file that is a Read Me type file telling what the item is and what it does and which game it is for and how to install it properly. This is simple friendly etiquette and allows someone to know what the item is and does without having to import it to find out.
My mods:
Dark Horizons
The Undying
Nikita
IWD2 store

Co-contributor:
Aurils Bane
Encounters
Saerileth