Author Topic: Two Hypothetical Questions  (Read 5598 times)

Offline Qualidor

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Two Hypothetical Questions
« on: May 06, 2005, 06:22:52 PM »
All right, friends, two things I've been pondering for a while. Here they are:

1) Does it make sense that <charname> can be a ranger/druid/thief/paladin character when there is no practical way he/she could have trained in these skills at Candlekeep?

2) Would it be possible for <charname> to be of an unusual race, given that Gorion knew his/her mother and took him/her under his guardianship at such a young age? The primary example that springs to mind is whether or not it makes sense for <charname> to be Drow or Half-Drow, though the question could apply equally to a host of other 'rare' races.

Your thoughts, please!

Offline K. Lou of Combs

• Level 1
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - i_inhabit_earth@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nybcr/themarysuemod.htm
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 10:30:24 PM »
to (1): Ah, but Imoen's a thief, and normally thieves don't have any practical training anyway.  So, a thief <CHARNAME> actually makes quite a bit of sense, since Imoen and <CHARNAME> could've learned their lock-picking, trap-disarming abilities together.

Since Candlekeep is so close to a forest, you can say that a druid/ranger lived nearby, and Gorion, seeing his child interested in one of those professions, had that druid/ranger teach a younger <CHARNAME> the ways of the woods.

A paladin, though... well, you got me there.  I suppose a human <CHARNAME> could just want to simultaneously be both a fighter and a cleric, and, since they'd be human, they can't multiclass, so a paladin would be the next best thing.  Consequently, this would actually explain why Bioware didn't allow a non-human PC to become a paladin... But, like you say, this scenario really doesn't make much sense.

to (2): imo, since Gorion was a Harper and so well-traveled, it wouldn't be beyond any stretch of the imagination for him to have met someone of an unusual race. (ex., Firkraag)

Edit: typos
"Without my glasses, I see the world as it really is: kinda blurry."

"I hate to tell you this, but... your IQ Test came back negative."

The stupidest, silliest mod in progress is right here:
The Mary Sue NPC Mod

Offline Lilly

• Level 2
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lilly_with_a_smile@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 01:41:27 AM »
1) Yes, since he/she left Candlekeep with hardly ANY skill in his/hers chosen class, and developed them later during travel. In my opinion when you're level 1 a "class" is not really a profession, but a choice of profession you'll advance in later.

2) We KNOW there are Bhaalspawns of all, and I mean ALL races. <CHARNAME> should be able to be of any race.
Haven't you heard? Love isn't just for perfect things.

A perfect ending of a perfect movie: It's sunset and they're kissing. Aaaaawww. Ever wondered why it's always the sunset? Because night falls riiiight after it, mwahahahahahaha!

Offline Kain

• Level 1
    • MSN Messenger - Gcarriglio@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 01:58:39 AM »
im confused did Gorian really know charnames mother, after playing TOB im not so sure anymore. I got the impression he showed up as she was about to kill charname and killed her and took charname under his wing. it didnt seem like they knew each other after playing TOB
Narbondel:Fantasy Roleplaying Campaign

Dont forget to visit Narbondel's sister site Club Noir which can be found at Club Noir

Offline Lilly

• Level 2
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lilly_with_a_smile@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 02:00:08 AM »
Quote from: "Kain"
im confused did Gorian really know charnames mother after playing TOB, im not so sure anymore

In BG1 he mentiones having been <CHARNAME>'s mother's friend and occasional lover, but in ToB we find out he saw her the first time when he killed her, so, I'm not really sure.
Haven't you heard? Love isn't just for perfect things.

A perfect ending of a perfect movie: It's sunset and they're kissing. Aaaaawww. Ever wondered why it's always the sunset? Because night falls riiiight after it, mwahahahahahaha!

Offline Kain

• Level 1
    • MSN Messenger - Gcarriglio@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 02:03:21 AM »
maybe he just lied to chrname growing up so he would have a plauseable reason for looking after him. :D
Narbondel:Fantasy Roleplaying Campaign

Dont forget to visit Narbondel's sister site Club Noir which can be found at Club Noir

Offline Moongaze

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 02:19:06 AM »
maybe he just lied to chrname growing up so he would have a plauseable reason for looking after him. :D

PC: Gorion? Um...do you know who my mother was?
Gorion: Your mother was an evil bitch, and I killed her. I'm your father now. Don't you talk back at me, boy. *glares*

.... :? ....yeah, he lied. :D

Offline K. Lou of Combs

• Level 1
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - i_inhabit_earth@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nybcr/themarysuemod.htm
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 10:21:15 AM »
Quote from: "Moongaze"

PC: Gorion? Um...do you know who my mother was?
Gorion: Your mother was an evil bitch, and I killed her. I'm your father now. Don't you talk back at me, boy. *glares*

.... :? ....yeah, he lied. :D

:D That's terrible! :lol:

In my own fantasy, though, I think there was at least *some* truth to Gorion and Alianna being friends (not sure about lovers, though)... only it was probably a longer time in the past than Gorion tells <CHARNAME>.

Remember, he chose Alianna's son/daughter over everyone else... I don't think that was a completely random choice.  It's possible that he saw Alianna's son/daughter and remembered how he used to be friends with Alianna, and then made his choice...

Of course, that's just speculation.
"Without my glasses, I see the world as it really is: kinda blurry."

"I hate to tell you this, but... your IQ Test came back negative."

The stupidest, silliest mod in progress is right here:
The Mary Sue NPC Mod

Offline Redrake

• God of Frustration
  • Modders
  • Level 4
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - remildragos
    • View Profile
    • A lawyerish website
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 12:36:40 PM »
Is not that impossible for the PC to be any of those classes. Remeber that Candlekeep while isolated also hosted a number of visitors. Some of those might have been rangers or druids or paladins.
As for 2, that's were the things get complicated. Bhaal took the form of all races to create his bhaalspwans (many of the same race). But by creating let's say an PC elf, he would have taken the form of an elf and mate with an elven girl. But because his elven form was a fake, the PC is then Half-elf, or more likely a tiefling. The only alternative is if Bhaal instead of simply taking the form of an elf, rather possesed the body of an elf.

Surrender or be squished!

Offline Qualidor

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 06:11:19 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

Quote from: "redrake"
Is not that impossible for the PC to be any of those classes. Remeber that Candlekeep while isolated also hosted a number of visitors. Some of those might have been rangers or druids or paladins.
As for 2, that's were the things get complicated. Bhaal took the form of all races to create his bhaalspwans (many of the same race). But by creating let's say an PC elf, he would have taken the form of an elf and mate with an elven girl. But because his elven form was a fake, the PC is then Half-elf, or more likely a tiefling. The only alternative is if Bhaal instead of simply taking the form of an elf, rather possesed the body of an elf.

I'm not questioning whether it is physically possible - of course a God can take whatever form he chooses and take it perfectly. What I meant was, for example, how would a drow child (for example) have made it all the way to Gorion - and if so, would those at Candlekeep still have accepted him/her?

Offline Redrake

• God of Frustration
  • Modders
  • Level 4
    • View Profile
    • A lawyerish website
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 11:15:48 PM »
Quote from: "Qualidor"
I'm not questioning whether it is physically possible - of course a God can take whatever form he chooses and take it perfectly. What I meant was, for example, how would a drow child (for example) have made it all the way to Gorion - and if so, would those at Candlekeep still have accepted him/her?

There are no drow choices for a PC, unless you've installed the subrace mod. Even then you're still going to be considered a surface elf. Therefore is safe to assume Gorion didn't brought with him a drow and even if he did, that drow child was raised all his life on the surface.

Offline Darkfire

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 07:06:13 PM »
Actually, the only issue regarding <CHARNAME>'s origin that consistently bothers me is that she just can't be an elf.  If she were, then there is no way she could have grown up with Imoen, since elven childhoods last around 100 years.  In fact, elvish Bhaalspawn would all still be elvish children twenty or so years after the Time of Troubles (when the BG saga takes place), so they should be unavailable as player races.

Oh well.
Tranquility is courage in repose.
--Nitobe Inazo

Offline Qualidor

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 07:10:32 PM »
Exactly. They'd be about the same age as Gorion!

Offline Redrake

• God of Frustration
  • Modders
  • Level 4
    • View Profile
    • A lawyerish website
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 12:55:12 AM »
They might have been genetically modified like in SW 2. :P