Author Topic: Randomosity Corner RES  (Read 44553 times)

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • http://mistresselysia.deviantart.com/
Randomosity Corner RES
« on: April 05, 2012, 10:53:58 PM »
Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:39 am    

This is because I like to ramble. Feel free to ramble with me! I need a place where I can be totally random and spout out stupid ideas...soooo....

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Random thoughts on weapons
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 10:53:59 PM »
Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:51 pm

Urrrgggghhh...why is it that during the week, when I have to get up for work, all I want to do is lie in, whereas on a Saturday morning, I'm up bright and early, unable to sleep? So totally not fair...

Anyhoo...random idea time. Fades weapons of choice is a shortsword and (I would like...) a bladed gauntlet. Does it sit right that the bladed gauntlet could be made an upgradable weapon using dragons' teeth? There's enough of them about...

I don't know how easy it would be to implement the bladed gauntlet, anyway. It would be under the same proficiency slot as the shortsword (it does D6 damage, same as a shortsword, so it would make sense to put it there, shame the exotic weapon proficiency doesn't exist...ahh well!), and to use it she would have 2 weapon fighting. Graphically it would probably end up looking like a dagger (it would be the easier option!) unless I get brave and try to pull over the graphics for Annahs punch daggers from Torment. I'm actually beginning a new D&D campaign with my roleplaying buddies soon (I've got a male elven fighter - rolled up fantastic stats for him (18, 17, 16, 15, 14 - on proper dice rolls no less! None of this generator nonsense...) until I rolled the 7...oh well, he's horribly scarred then! But I digress....) and his weapons of choice are the longsword and bladed gauntlet, I wanted to try it out to see how effective the combination would actually be. So, I might change my mind....

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Randomosity Corner
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:22 am    

Ughhh...complete lack of work today due to huge hangover. I had every intention of writing up some more dialogue and starting to seriously think about Fades main quest, but stupidly violent headache put a stop to that. Note to self...Chocolate Gin is the new official root of all evil. Yes, it may taste nice (in a kind of vaguely like cough syrup kind of way...hmmmmmm, cough syrup...) but I'm never touching the stuff again. Well, until next time, that is.... icon_rolleyes.gif icon_biggrin.gif

Nevermind. Gave me an excuse to have a 'delectable Johnny Depp' day instead.

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Randomosity Corner
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 10:54:01 PM »
Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:29 pm    

Good morning world!! Ahhh, days off from work rule so much....

Okay, a kind of update. I have decided at the moment to concentrate on the 'healthier side of Fades romance for the time being, as it struck me last night that I am, in effect, going to have to write 4 different romances for her (female fluffy, male fluffy, female evil and male evil...why do I do these things to myself??) However, evil fans, this does not mean I have abandoned the idea of having a corrupt relationship. I'm just not sure how far to go with it at the moment.

Also, how do people feel about 'standard conversations' (e.g. about Imoen, childhood etc). They seem to be a standard for all romances...are they an important and integral part of the characters getting to know one another, or is everyone sick of them? I have written a 'who is Imoen anyway' dialogue, but I have steered away from childhood as I feel that is something Fade would be a bit reticent about.

Offline Sillara

• Retired Modder
  • Level 2
    • MSN Messenger - gilalion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sk8pilmp
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - charisariel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gilalion.com
    • Email
Randomosity Corner
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 10:54:02 PM »
Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:49 pm    

I think that it is a good idea to give some sort of a background for the PC to share with the love interest. You see, people will want to read the background of the NPC. Part of the fun is learning about a new character. If the NPC doesn't ask about the PC in return, though, it makes the NPC come across as a self-absorbed lout. If self-absorption is part of the NPC's character, however, then go for it!

Sillara, the overly-analytical writer
Can you accept a necromancer? Can you trust a murderer? Can you love Tsujatha?
If you like Tsujatha, you should read his novels.
Natha ssin'urn lu' dwalc ilythiiri noamuth wund l' rivven: Yasraena zhah ghil!
Saerileth's bounty is as boundless as the sea; the more  she gives to you, the more she has, for her love is infinite.

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Randomosity Corner
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 10:54:03 PM »
Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:57 pm    

Thats what I thought. And Fade is more likely to ask the PC about them than talk about herself....it'll be legwork there, people! There is a huge element of wounded pride and shame to Fade, in an almost fragile but fierce way. She is ashamed of her past, but will go mad if the PC sympathises too much; she'll think that they are just mocking her. Part of the romance will be to show her that everyone is not just out to get a 'piece' of her, and that there doesn't always have to be an ulterior motive behind other peoples actions. I just don't want to fall into the trap of 'yawn....shes asking the same questions every single other NPC asks....'.

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Randomosity Corner
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 10:54:04 PM »
Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:29 am    

Ah...the joys of not having much to do at work... icon_wink.gif

I've actually managed to write down some kind of progression and linkage for Fades LTs now (and a few normal banters)- so far I have rough outlines for about 30 (these are just Fade initiated ones, including ones associated with quests. Add in the PC initiated ones, and I'm up to quite a few...) What I have decided to do is actually have PC specific LTs that can be initiated by the PC after Fade talks to them. Because she can be a little reticent about her past, if she gives you a hint, initiate a converation with her and she may share some more info with you. I thought it would be nice to make her whole romance a little bit more of a two-way street, rather than (I think) rather predatory way the PC is pursued by other NPCs. Sometimes questions will have a simple one line answer, but others may blossom into full LTs...well, thats my vision anyway! I wouldn't make the whole thing completely necessary for progression, I just thought it would be sweet if it seemed that the PC was taking an interest in her, like a 'proper' relationship would. Let me know if you think any different!

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Randomosity Corner
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 10:54:05 PM »
Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:17 am    

Question!

All Fey'ri can speak Abyssal. Does anyone know if there are any 'official' lines on the abyssal language (a la Drow and Elven)? I just think abyssal would be such a cool language to curse in! If not, I'll have to make to with Black Speech or something. Or just make something up.....

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Randomosity Corner
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 10:54:09 PM »
Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:04 am    

Another kind of update....

Still slogging away at the LT progression...NPC banters are giving me hell though! Doesn't help that my boss keeps coming in and expecting me to do work...I mean, what does he think I'm there to do?? icon_lol.gif icon_biggrin.gif

Still panicking about getting all this coded...I do sometimes sit there and think 'what the hell am I thinking!?!? I know nothing about computers! My CATS know more about them that I do! (well, they know how to wander over the keyboard and send people pages of nonsense over MSN.... icon_confused.gif ) Still....thems that do don't try, won't get (sorry, having a 'Granny Weatherwax' attack there! icon_wink.gif ) It's early days at the moment, and I've got plenty of time to learn, screw it up, start over again, screw it up again, infect my computer with something nasty and complain like hell until my husband does it for me.....( icon_cool.gif I wish. Unfortunately he has already told me that 'he does enough of this thing at Uni everyday'....no fair!...)

So the big question is....how much to people want to see? I'll stick some stuff up anyway (mainly to make sure I'm not totally screwing up - NPC banters immediately spring to mind!)...but how about crucial stuff?

Oh, and the tail thing. Is it;
a) A Good Thing - makes her more interesting!
b) A Weird Thing - ummm......
c) A Don't Even Go There Thing.....ewww!

It's just, in my infinite wisdom ( icon_eek.gif ) I actually have a flirt that does involve her twining her tail around the PCs leg. Then I realised that, although quite funny, it's also a little on the...weird side. So, is it an oddity that people can live with, or does the idea of bedding a chick with a tail totally freak people out??

(This is where you raise your eyebrows and give me 'that look'. I know what look it is. I get it a lot.... icon_razz.gif )

icon_wink.gif
Elysia
xxx

Offline Grog

• The Absentminded Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Auril's Bane
Randomosity Corner
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 10:54:10 PM »
Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:35 am    

Tail = cool.

Life could be much simpler if people has tails...think about it...no more wondering if you've pissed someone off...
"Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward."  - Victor Kiam

Offline Sillara

• Retired Modder
  • Level 2
    • MSN Messenger - gilalion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sk8pilmp
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - charisariel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gilalion.com
    • Email
Randomosity Corner
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 10:54:11 PM »
Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:06 am    

Definitely keep the tail. icon_wink.gif Tails are good things. I do not know if there is any sort of information on Abyssal, but I would suggest checking out the Planescape setting. They have reams of information; it is one of the most detailed settings, right up there with FR. Anyway, I would recommend the boxed set called The Blood War. That might be what you want. (No, I don't have that set, or I could check it for you. I only have the Planescape boxed set--no Abyssal.)

Sillara
Can you accept a necromancer? Can you trust a murderer? Can you love Tsujatha?
If you like Tsujatha, you should read his novels.
Natha ssin'urn lu' dwalc ilythiiri noamuth wund l' rivven: Yasraena zhah ghil!
Saerileth's bounty is as boundless as the sea; the more  she gives to you, the more she has, for her love is infinite.

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Randomosity Corner
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 10:54:12 PM »
Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:34 am    

Okay...another update of sorts. The tail stays! It actually works quite nicely with some of the dialogues, so....

Anyway, I'm still busy writing dialogues at the moment, but I fear I may be falling into 'I want to get in all the info' trap... some of the dialogues are quite lengthly at the moment, but they are the crucial ones, and I want to give lots of options to pick from! Oddly enough, I'm finding the lighter, more playful dialogues harder than the serious, heavy stuff...never thought I'd say that!! I'm the queen of ditzy-ness, after all... icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_wink.gif

Elysia
xx

Offline SHAR

• View Profile
Randomosity Corner
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 10:54:13 PM »
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:45 am    

Well i'll agree on the Queen of ditzy-ness alright... icon_razz.gif

Glad that the tail's staying i don't think she'd be the same without it...the things she could do with that tail...* icon_eek.gif shocking aren't I?? icon_lol.gif *

Don't worry i'm sure we can come up with some light hearted stuff soon...
I am not a bitch...I AM THE BITCH...And thats Ms.Bitch to you....

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Randomosity Corner
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 10:54:14 PM »
Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:18 pm    

Another update of sorts...

Working feverishly (well...ok, maybe that was a little over dramatic!) away at NPC dialogues at the moment...after having major writers block, I've had a flood of ideas over the last couple of days. Problem is, some of them clash with each other.... icon_confused.gif Ah well, I'll sort it out in the end! I've also been trying to sort out romance conflicts - I had no idea just how hard this would be! So the big question today is...
1) Bicker?
2) Keep quiet? (no conflict - I know some people don't like them)
3) Fist fights? (so far, in my many incarnations of these conflicts, Fade has fought with Viconia and punched Anomen! icon_razz.gif )

Maybe I should release an 'added violence' pack as well as a flirt pack....
icon_wink.gif
Elysia
xx

Offline Cybersquirt

• View Profile
    • Email
Randomosity Corner
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 10:54:15 PM »
Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:50 am    

good feedback from good beta testers (or good proof-readers) helps sort these things out. icon_wink.gif Or maybe you just need to slow down on the writing and make a decision.

I do think, and you're probably well aware, that if you don't decide on a path you won't hurdle this block. At the very least, a decision will allieviate some pressure and frustration.