Author Topic: NPC in the pipeline....what do you all think? RES  (Read 31475 times)

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • http://mistresselysia.deviantart.com/
NPC in the pipeline....what do you all think? RES
« on: April 04, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:49 pm    

Hi! *waves nervously*. I have had an NPC in the pipeline for some time, and have now finally plucked up the courage to pitch her...

She started off as a story I began to write, but I soon realised her potential as a character for BG2.
Okay...some basic details...

Race: Fey'ri (elven tiefling) of House Dlardrageth (in keeping with official sourcebook rules).
Name: Kher'Tal, but she is known as 'Fade'.
Class: Single class thief with some Mage like abilities (again, in keeping with official lines on Fey'ri rules).
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral.
Stats: (provisional)
Str: 14
Dex: 19
Con: 10
Int: 16
Wis: 11
Cha: 16

Brief history so far…(very provisional!).
Sold into slavery by (she suspects) her father. Met a female half drow called Ketta – very close relationship forms. Bought by a Pasha in Calimshan, Fade was forced to fight as a gladiator and work in the harem. In order to control her, they soon realised that physical threats and beatings didn’t work….so they used and abused the one person she cared about (Ketta). After 5 years of this treatment, both Ketta and Fade escaped captivity with the help of their slave-jailor, Brennan. Brennan decided to help them because the Pasha who owned them took a liking to Brennans daughter, and threatened to kill both her and Brennan if he wasn’t allowed to have her. Since Fade and Ketta looked after Brennans daughter, he decides to help them all escape, but Ketta was killed as they fled. Fade didn’t realise this until it was too late; Fade tried to go back for her, but Brennan stopped her, saying there was nothing she could do and getting recaptured wouldn’t solve anything. Disgusted by his attitude and her own perceived weakness, Fade herself then spent a further three years travelling around Faerun working as a thief and a prostitute. Eventually taken in by the Shadow Thieves (she was caught thieving ‘on their patch’ in Athkatla. Much to the surprise of the other guild leaders, Aran Linvail, the Shadow Master, decided not to punish her, but offered her a place in his ranks. Slowly over the years she rose steadily up the hierarchy, and is now one of his most trusted lieutenants, used mainly for information gathering. She despises slavery in all its forms, and will initially be found in the Copper Coronet, asking for help to set the slaves free there…

Personality Traits.
Since Fade was brought up as a noble of House Dlardrageth, she learnt little of morality until she was much older, and still finds some of moralities finer points beyond her. She will use all resources available to her to get her own way, and if this includes herself, so be it. She can be cruel and abrasive, but also loyal and generous. She is neither good nor evil, and will, for example, one day give all her money to feed a starving family, only to go and steal all she has given away back from a local merchant. She has been used as a slave, a whore and a gladiator, and all these experiences have shaped her into the slightly fractured character she is today. She will not ‘moralise’ her situation with the PC; she is very impulsive and rarely thinks of the consequences of her actions. She is quick to anger, and has two particular danger signs. The first is the growl. The second is her tail lashes. If she does both at the same time…run! She is, however, also very keen to please people she likes, and so is very vulnerable as well. She does get bored easily, and will instigate arguments to combat her boredom. She also has to learn something about the art of subtley. I am intending to make her a romancable NPC.

I have other ideas for her quests and the like (there are 4 at the moment, 3 smaller and one main one) but this post is waay to long already... icon_biggrin.gif. So, err, what do you think? Do you think she is workable? Any help/comments/people willing to teach me to code/people willing to tell me where I'm going wrong/people willing to stop me rambling on and on ( icon_lol.gif ) would be very gratefully recieved....

Offline Silke

• View Profile
    • Email
NPC in the pipeline
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 04:10:01 PM »
Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:11 pm    

GREAT dialogue/quests/relationship potential, in my opinion ! Excellent beginning, since it sounds like you have some very nice ideas for Fade... Wish you very good luck, and if you need some more ideas, I would be pleased to help you !

What about making her romanceable by both male and female characters ? Romanceable by other NPCs ? Hey, this is another good idea ! icon_biggrin.gif

... Oh, and of course, I could translate it in French, when it's finished...
"That's what the Minstrel sings,
Join in the horrible screams,
Take part in murderous deeds,
Renowned be the Lion-Hearted..."

Blind Guardian - Battlefield.

Offline Magnus

• Global Moderator
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
NPC in the pipeline
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 04:10:02 PM »
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:10 am    

Sounds like a good idea. Keep the ideas going.
Where's me bleedin ale?

My Mods & Contributions:

Dark Horizons

CoM Encounters

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
NPC in the pipeline....what do you all think?
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 04:10:03 PM »
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:09 am    

*wipes brow, blows a BIG sigh of relief*....Thanks for all your kind words! And yes, any help would be gratefully recieved...I do have this horrible habit of totally getting into an idea, and sometimes I really need people to ground me again, giving me other perspectives etc. As for who she would romance, I would like her to be relatively gender neutral (although her opinions of man and women are very different!) and if the PC wasn't interested, I would say she would romance, or at least flirt horribly with other NPCs! icon_biggrin.gif icon_wink.gif

Oh, and heres a link to one of her portraits....it's a bit, err, well.....she is part succubus!! (I have another one of her in her armour that I am in the process of finishing). So if anyone can portrait edit / photoshop her, that would also be very cool... icon_wink.gif http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/5036758/

OK, the basic quest ideas I have are thus:

Her main quest will involve Fades old Master sending people after her to ‘recover’ her. If she is accepted into the party ‘officially’, her relative anonymity will be broken (wandering about with a Bhaalspawn will do that….). It is then up to the PC as to whether they go and get her. If they do – this is where her feelings for the PC change, and the PC will realise just how vulnerable she actually is. If they don’t go and get her, she’ll be gone for good. May need a new area? Will happen during resting, a lot of noise, and then her being bundled off in a cart will tip off the PC. (Maybe!)

Mini quest 1) She wants to set the slaves free in the Copper Coronet and the Slaver Ship (this is also one of her reasons for joining the party).
Mini quest 2) Will ask the PC ‘if they want to have some fun’ – just her and the PC go off and commit a little larceny! I thought either the Council of Six building (hey, that’s bound to have lots of gold in it!) and will need to have a secret entrance (possibly via the prison or the sewers), or one of the Nobles houses. With the Nobles house, it could therefore also take place in Trademeet. It is then up to the PC as to whether they join her or not. But she won’t like it if they don’t!
Mini quest 3) Something to do with Erevan Ilesere. Don’t know what yet….see Religion.

Reason # 2 for joining the Party.
Basically, she works for Aran Linvail as an information gatherer and spy. She’s been out of Athkatla for a while - asked to come back and dig up dirt on the guild war. It will be noted that she keeps a very low profile during the Mae’Var quest (PC won’t know why this is yet), and Renal is obviously in on her mission for Aran, as he says nothing (maybe just a raised eyebrow!) Many of the other ‘common’ thieves don’t know who she is anyway. The PC will find out about her working for Aran when they get to see him – the PC will have to choose again as to whether they want her in the party or not – they can dump her there in the guild, but will be able to pick her up at a later date (she will stay in Arans quarters.) She asks Aran if she can go with them to Spellhold as she has become to ‘believe’ in Imoens rescue, and genuinely wants to help.

Religion
(Or a bit of a Weird Idea…)
Fade is not a religious person. She follows no particular deity, and feels uncomfortable in temples and other places of worship. However, since she escaped slavery, she has been visited regularly by a strange, tall male elf. He never lets her touch him and just seems to appear before her, just to talk. After one of his visits, he left her an enchanted short sword, which she feels compelled to use. Basically, Fade may not take an interest on the gods, but one has taken an interest in her! He is Erevan Ilesere, the CN elven god of Chaos, luck and trickery, and has decided to make her one of his ‘chosen’….but she doesn’t know that! He doesn’t actively guard or guide her, but little things do happen. Like I said, it’s just an idea!

And there are my ideas on her romance...err, spoilers, of course!
If the PC does decided to romance her, the relationship can take two forms – a ‘healthy’ path, where the PC instils some form of self worth in to her, and a ‘corrupt’ path, where the PC uses her. At first she sees the PC as nothing more that another conquest, but as her feelings develop, how the PC treats her will affect her deeply. So the onus is on the PC to make moral choices on how they want the relationship to progress. If you want to use her, fine, she’ll let you. But be careful if you keep doing it, she might not be around at the end (she won’t leave the PC. But she will kill herself…). But, on the flip side, she won’t appreciate being treated like a china doll, and will soon get bored of a totally chivalrous character. Be too self-righteous, and you’ll drive her into the arms of another. Initially she just wants to have fun, and will get the PC into trouble if she can (especially if they are a fellow rogue), but as her feelings deepen, she gets confused, and basically doesn’t know how to handle it. However, she will not be 'fixed', her alignment will not change, nor her morals (not that she really has any!) She won't bother you with her problems, as I don't want her to fall into the 'PC heals her' trap....just thought it would be nice if there was a chance of someone actually giving a damn about her, thats all!
Oh, and she's scared of rats...... icon_razz.gif

Ohhh dear, another huge post...sorry! I did warn you all....

Offline Sillara

• Retired Modder
  • Level 2
    • MSN Messenger - gilalion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sk8pilmp
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - charisariel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gilalion.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 04:10:04 PM »
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:13 pm    

Hurrah!!

I am glad to see that you got Fade out there! I told you she was a good idea. I really like the details. How would she react to a female romance? You mentioned having her romance either gender, but I think some sort of Ketta tie-in would be good if the PC is female. The way her background reads, I would suspect that she and Ketta were more than friends. icon_wink.gif As for a male, I would think that that would get off to a slower start, given that she has been a prostitute for so long. It would take something more drastic to get her to fall for one, I think, but when she fell, she would "go up like straw." (Love that Dorothy Sayers!) What do you think? Is that the way that you view her?

Sillara
Can you accept a necromancer? Can you trust a murderer? Can you love Tsujatha?
If you like Tsujatha, you should read his novels.
Natha ssin'urn lu' dwalc ilythiiri noamuth wund l' rivven: Yasraena zhah ghil!
Saerileth's bounty is as boundless as the sea; the more  she gives to you, the more she has, for her love is infinite.

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 04:10:05 PM »
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:31 am    

Evenin' all.... icon_biggrin.gif

Basically you've hit the nail on the head, Sillara. Fade would be wary of a male actually being nice to her, and I would envision that the PC would have to do some of the leg work if he did decide to romance her...although one of my ideas does run along the idea of her wamting to comfort the PC about their loss of Imoen, but not knowing how to do it (especially if the PC is male - if they are female, she would definitely find it easier!). This will leave her vulnerable, and how the situation is handled will be up to the PC....example / idea for dialogue...PC: Fade, why did you let me...use you in that way? Fade: *shrugs* Why not. Hundreds already have. You're not the first, and I doubt you'll be the last. You needed comfort, and I gave it to you. Isn't that what any man wants?'. icon_question.gif icon_confused.gif I don't know, just an idea...

Her relationship with Ketta was a very deep one, they were more like soul mates than anything else and, especially considering the way Ketta died, Fade is still finding it hard to adjust. A female romance would probably be the healthier of the two from the start (she does just view all males as wanting one thing from her, and it'll take a hell of a lot to convince her otherwise!) but that doesn't mean a female romance would stay healthy. Her desire to please people she likes can be exploited ( icon_twisted.gif Hi all you evil people out there!). However, this would mean writing whole different dialogues for both sexes....am I a glutton for punishment or what???

Offline Sillara

• Retired Modder
  • Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 04:10:06 PM »
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:19 am    

Definitely a glutton! Not only do you have to write the different dialogue sets, you will have to code them!!! icon_eek.gif But you will be glad once you have finished. icon_wink.gif Anyway, I am glad that you have started Fade. After all, the sooner you begin, the sooner you will have her finished!

Sillara
Saerileth's bounty is as boundless as the sea; the more  she gives to you, the more she has, for her love is infinite.

Offline Sillara

• Retired Modder
  • Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 04:10:07 PM »
Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:00 am  

Any word on Fade? Are you planning to request a forum or anything?

Sillara

Offline Raven

• Miriam's sane half
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
  • Like Awesome!
    • View Profile
    • Vampire Tales
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 04:10:08 PM »
Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:14 am    

All set up.
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Offline Sillara

• Retired Modder
  • Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 04:10:09 PM »
Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:32 pm    

Congratulations, Elysia!!  Welcome to the Chosen of Mystra, one of the friendliest forums on the web!

Sillara

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 04:10:40 PM »
Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:38 pm    

Thanks! So, here I go.... icon_wink.gif (Have had to spend the last couple of days playing the 'dutiful daughter in law....but shes gone now! Joy! Rapture! Now I can spend the weekend sorting myself out.... )

Offline Solaufein

• Lord of the Realms
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
  • Man against the Machine
    • ICQ Messenger - 251194643
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - gscott7833
    • View Profile
    • http://teambg.net
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 04:10:41 PM »
Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:07 pm    Post

Welcome to CoM. :)
My mods:
Dark Horizons
The Undying
Nikita
IWD2 store

Co-contributor:
Dark Side of the Sword Coast BG1 Weidu
Aurils Bane
Encounters
Saerileth
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 04:10:42 PM »
Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:47 am  

Everyone has been so helpful!

So this is a public 'Thankyou!' to everyone, especially Gabrielle and Sillara.

Offline Raven

• Miriam's sane half
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
  • Like Awesome!
    • View Profile
    • Vampire Tales
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 04:10:43 PM »
Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:18 am    

Most welcome
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Offline Andyr

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gibberlings3.net
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 04:10:44 PM »
Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:29 am    

This sounds like quite a cool idea.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"