Author Topic: Unable to select Alignment for any new Character kit  (Read 12318 times)

Offline Aelfrin

• View Profile
Unable to select Alignment for any new Character kit
« on: February 04, 2012, 01:48:09 AM »
Apologies if this is in the wrong place or if I use the wrong terminology, I'm new here.  :)

I installed TDD 1.14 (on top of the latest bioware patch and the Gibberling fixpack). Unfortunately, if I try to create a character using any of the new TDD kits, when I reach the ALIGNMENT stage, all the options (LAWFUL GOOD, etc.) are disabled and I have to give up. Creating a character using any of the original BG II character kits works OK.

I tried to search this forum and could not see this problem reported previously. However a web search earlier showed that two or three other people had the problem, but none seemed to have found a solution.

My PC is running Windows 7, don't know if that is relevant or not.

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Offline Hoppy

• View Profile
    • Email
Unable to select Alignment for any new Character
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 01:49:40 AM »
This is strange but are you building your installation from a clean install?  There might be some files left from other mods that may be corrupting things.

My setup on Vista is based on an alternate location besides Program Files and/or User Account Control turned off.  You might try changing the install directory first to C:\Games\etc. or something other of your choice.

EDIT:testing now to see if the rar is corrupt somehow.  No other mods besides what you listed?  You still need Worldmap mod installed after TDD to access areas properly.  That goes at the end anyway.   http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=308

EDIT2:  Everything checks out with the archive and an installation with no errors.  Can you upload your Setup-TDD.Debug file?  Open it with a text editor and save as a text document as it has an extension of DEBUG so the forum won't let you upload it.  I can select kis and alignment so there is either a problem with directory as the UAC overrides permissions or you may have to reinstall a clean game and continue with mods from there.

Offline cippa

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Unable to select Alignment for any new Character kit
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 04:36:22 AM »
I have the same exact problem - which is really annoying

I have made a clean install soa+tob+patch+g3fixpack
Then I installed TDD1.14 from weidu
Then I installed the weimer mods (avoiding the modules that should not compatible with TDD)
And I cannot pick the alignment for my character during character creation, if I use one of the TDD kits

This is quite unnerving since I used to play this game with these exact mods back in 2003 and it worked fine (of course with the exception of a couple of TDD bugs)

Let me know if you need more info

Offline dkstrick

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Unable to select Alignment for any new Character kit
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 02:55:15 PM »
I believe this is a so-called "Privilege level" problem with Windows 7 (and 8).

Try this: 1. Open your Baldur's Gate 2 folder.
            2. Find the "baldur.exe" executable.
            3. Right click on it and select "Properties".
            4. Click on the "Compatibility" tab.
            5. Check the "Run this program as an administrator" box.
            6. Close it.
            7. Start up the game.

See if that works.