Author Topic: Bug reports  (Read 9596 times)

Offline Lava Del'Vortel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Bug reports
« on: December 04, 2011, 03:43:20 PM »
That's the place where bugs can be reported.
Lava's Scriptorium

Done projects:
Colours of Infinity: TotDG, Innershade, TWQ, ISNF, Yvette, Foundling
Quests: Eilistraee's Song
NPCs and related: Varshoon | Aeon | Petsy | Tsuki BG2 | Yoshimo Romance | La'Valygar | Quayle BG2 | Swylif | Skie BG2 | White | GaheshLa'Viconia
In-progress projects: Sarine (contribution) | The Purple Splinter | Foundling
Contribution: Ilmatar's Portrait Pack | PaintBG | InfinityKits | Sarevok Friendship

Offline Enkida

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bug reports
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 01:38:19 PM »
Yo Lava.  Since I am actually taking a little time to enjoy my game, not just mod it  ;D  I thought I would point out english grammar and spelling errors as I run into them.  Also some (personal opinion) feedback.

Just on level 2 of Irenicus' dungeon now, with Yoshimo in party, I look at his katana and see these things:

Even though its light enchantment, sword was made with such a precision, even an usual attack may appear to be deadly. Sharpness of the blade may cause opponent to loose much blood.

Special:  Wielder is under effect of Luck

10% chance of causing bleeding wound (1 damage per second - lasts 3 seconds)

When what I think I should be seeing is these things:

Though it has only a light enchantment, the sword was made with such precision that even its normal attack can be deadly. The sharpness of the blade can occasionally cause an opponent to bleed profusely.

Special: Grants wielder persistent "Luck" effect

10% chance of extra bleeding damage (1 dmg / second, 3 second duration)

Also this is just my opinion but I think persistent "Luck" on the katana is much too overpowered for the early game, and you get Yoshimo immediately.  I am playing at most difficult level possible on my game, with a few script mods to make it harder, and I find Yoshimo is just too easy with that luck special.  My suggestion would be to steal a page from Xan moonblade scripting and make Yoshimo's katana "earn" the luck ability with a few levels.  He starts lvl 10 I think, so maybe he earns luck special on his katana at level 12, with a small dialogue to notify player of the weapon change or something like that.

Maybe other people don't find it overpowered, though.  I remember going through crazy phase when I actually enjoyed playing Tactics mod without any other mods than bugfixes, and it took me couple of real life weeks to get out of Irenicus' starting dungeon.  I would have killed for Yoshi's lucky katana back then, LOL.

cheers and more will come as I find it :)

Offline Lava Del'Vortel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 01:43:28 PM »
As for description, it can be altered. As for luck being overpowered... well, maybe it's an advantage in the begining, but I'm sure that after an hour of playing, it won't bo really significant. The thing is I'm not a powergamer and it's hard to judge. I would like to hear some more opinions before I decide on getting rid of the effect, or something.

Thanks for the opinion. I'm not sure if that's a bug report, but... whatever :P

I hope you'll enjoy the mod.
Lava's Scriptorium

Done projects:
NPCs and related: Varshoon | Aeon | Petsy | Tsuki BG2 | Yoshimo Romance | La'Valygar | Quayle BG2 | Swylif | Skie BG2 | White | GaheshLa'Viconia
Contribution: Ilmatar's Portrait Pack | PaintBG | InfinityKits | Sarevok Friendship

Offline Enkida

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 02:22:08 PM »
I just noticed, on Yoshimo's character screen, his persistant luck from the Katana registers as

(SYMBOL) - Good Luck

In the English version of the game, it's just called "Luck" - there is no "good."  Bad luck has the red icon anyway, so it doesn't need the extra adjective.  That is not really a bug, just a style thing, it's not an error to call it "good luck" either, FYI :)

Offline Enkida

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 03:43:06 PM »
First "romantic" conversation I noticed - one that fired off with that very nice music-

I learned something a long time ago, <CHARNAME>.  Everyone has some kind of tales.  They have done something or had thoughts, things they would rather not speak aloud.

This is a bit of awkward grammar in English, but I'm having a hard time thinking of an "easy" way to fix it.  Suggestions for replacing in particular "Everyone has some kind of tales."

- Everyone has tales they would rather not tell.
- Everyone has skeletons in their closet.
- Everyone has stories they'd rather not reveal.

or something like that.

For "They have done something or had thoughts, things they would rather not speak aloud."  This is technically proper English except for the tense, but being a native speaker, this pops out to me immediately as dialogue from a foreign speaker of English from the phrase formulation.  It doesn't need to be "fixed" per se, but I would suggest

(tense only:)
- They might have done something or had thoughts, things they would rather not speak aloud.

(formulation:)
- They may have their own secrets or thoughts, things they would rather not speak aloud.
- They may have  their own regrets, things they have done or thought that they would rather not speak aloud.

It's kind of a "what message you intend to get across" sort of edit, so it's hard to call any grammatically correct naturally sounding response appropriate without knowing more of the intent.  But hopefully those help a bit.

Later in that conversation, the PC makes some commentary that is grammatically incorrect:

"Do you always discuss these kind of depressing things?"

should be pluralized

"Do you always discuss these kinds of depressing things?" or "Do you always discuss these sorts of depressing things?"

And the PC closes with

"Indeed, but Yoshimo... we had a chat to but all in all, I'm a person who prefers to wander in silence."

Should be

"Indeed, but Yoshimo... we had a chat too but all in all, I'm a person who prefers to wander in silence."

More natural sounding is something like

"Indeed, Yoshimo... and we've had a chat just now, too. But all in all, I'm a person who prefers to wander in silence."

onward ho!   :)

Offline Lava Del'Vortel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 08:48:59 AM »
If you want to, you can simply proofread the mod again :P
Huh, maybe I will prepare an update for Christmas.
Lava's Scriptorium

Done projects:

Offline Enkida

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 12:26:44 PM »
Proofreading mod spoils playing it for me.  You know everything that happens without having to play it! ;-(   I will post as I go along.  It looks like you had good proofreaders already anyway, there is just some small things they missed here and there, like proofreading the katana script.  Most of it is nicely flowing english :)

cheers!

Offline Lava Del'Vortel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 12:37:31 PM »
Thanks! So, if you've got some notes about dialogue errors (grammar stuff etc) then put it in txt and then send it to me so I could include changes in the new version. It will be easier for me as well we will avoid including spoilers in the thread :)

Thanks again!
Lava's Scriptorium

Done projects:

Offline Enkida

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 12:43:24 PM »
Alright! Just for your info, I will NOT include what I have posted here already. 

cheers!

Offline Lava Del'Vortel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 12:48:33 PM »
ok, sure! Thanks :)
Lava's Scriptorium

Done projects:

Offline Enkida

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 02:27:27 PM »
These are not spelling or grammar, but bugs.  However I'm not sure if they are from Yoshimo Friendship or Yoshimo Romance:

Talk #3, "But now Kara-Tur is far away, and I will not be able to see...." etc fired off while my character was in the middle of the fight that Amalas picks with you in the Copper Coronet.  (Amalas is the guy who calls you a pansy adventurer and challenges you to a fight in Surley's arena inside the Copper Coronet).  After defeating Amalas, Yoshimo's next talk fired off immediately on exiting the arena.  If I remember correctly, the two Ruffian friends of Amalas are supposed to have interjections about "How could you have killed Amalas! What will I tell his mother!" dialogues.  They did when I talked to them individually, but the forced Yoshimo dialogue prevented it from happening automatically.

I should note that I have a banter accelerator installed that sets banter times to 30 minutes.  But Yoshimo's talks seem to fire automatically after the "event" as if time had passed, when it was really only 5 minutes at the most.

Offline Lava Del'Vortel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 02:40:19 PM »
But I think it's impossible for Yoshimo romance talk to stop other cre's dialogue... It may have been a random glitch... I will check if there is a script that fires 2 talks one after another, though. Hopefuly next dialogues will work fine :)
Lava's Scriptorium

Done projects:

Offline Enkida

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 04:47:12 PM »
Second bug I noticed: Doing Xzar's quest -> inside of Prebek's house, the party fight resulted in the PC being stunned and held.  The moment the battle ended, but while the PC was still immobilized, the next Yoshimo love talk happened.  So possibly missing a check against the state of the main char?

Offline Enkida

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 12:25:08 PM »
In the "Yoshimo gets cold feet" dialogue - the one where your pack breaks - this one fired off right after we entered the Shadow Thief complex in the city.  You maybe might want to put a check to make sure it fires outdoors or at least not right inside of the building housing Renal 'I-want-Yoshimo's-head-on-a-silver-platter' Bloodscalp. ;)

Offline Enkida

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 12:16:14 PM »
Another bug, although this one may not be with the Yoshimo Romance.  I have this fear that another clean install and start from scratch will be in order after this, though.  ;__;

I am playing with the Keto mod (god, how I love her! :D) and as you probably know she has a little friendship/possibly a crush? thing going on with Yoshimo on the side.  I'm not sure whether it is her, or the Yoshimo romance, or possibly one of the dozen other mods installed that did this, but when I last left off, after picking up Keto with Yoshimo and Kivan in my party, we went to the city gates, where a little Keto mini-dialogue with the harassed merchant fired off.  Everything worked fine then.

When I finally reloaded today and started playing again, the party left from the Crooked Crane Inn and travelled to Tradesmeet.  Keto then started bugging out quite a bit, having "dialogue" that didn't actually contain any dialogue at all, and when selecting her, not having her name display at all, as in instead of "Keto has nothing to say to you" I get " has nothing to say to you."

Again, I want to point out, this really may not have anything to do with the Yoshimo Romance mod at all.  But since it's Keto that is getting buggy, and Keto interacts a bit with Yoshimo, you may want to just compare mods and make sure nothing strange is going on between the two.

;___;  and I really liked that ranger-cleric I rolled, too.  92 stat points without cheating!  ;___;

To be fair, for the proofreading bits I will probably just look at your dialogue files.