Author Topic: Opinions  (Read 9395 times)

Offline Shocky

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Opinions
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 05:27:13 AM »
Hello there, Mr. Lava. Excuse my lack of avatar/signature etc. because I literally only registered to post here and tell you my thoughts about your mod. Took me a while too, had to go open a yahoo account because gmail's now allowed here and the capcha was...difficult.   :'(

Anyway, it was the 'guess people don't like the idea' that made me do it, what with my being a loyally-lurking fan of your work and all. I loved the idea of a BG2 bromance - the NPC modding has been so romance-oriented over the years that unfortunately it feels as though the idea of 'merely' a true friendship with one bores the players.

Anyway, I literally downloaded the mod yesterday for my Big World installation and I'm not finished playing it yet (I've just had the friendship talk that says my PC feels as though he and Aeon can defeat Irenicus together) so this won't be a COMPLETELY formed opinion yet, but I'll be back to give you one when I have it.

On to the point - the initial part of the mod takes a bit of 'getting through'. It's not bad, don't get me wrong (just going to get the negative bit out of the way before I start raving :) ), but let it be said that it's very, very obvious this is your early work. For example, when Rea showed up, it took a bit of suspense of disbelief for me to buy that Aeon was so desperately in love with her as he turned out to be. Their relationship was presented a bit hastily and off-handedly. "Rea, my love! Charname, can she go with us? I love her." Now, I picked the no-spying option so I don't know yet if it's elaborated further in the scene where you spy on them, but the whole situation when the party first encounters her could've been presented by 'showing', rather than 'telling' and throwing the word 'love' around. I realize many people aren't fans of it in Baldur's Gate, but I feel that their first encounter could've been presented with much more depth if you focused on the descriptive, letting us see Aeon's expression and behaviour, rather than on the dialogue. I'm not sure if it's possible to add/remove content at this point, but if you ever decide to change something stylistically, maybe it wouldn't be bad to take a look at that bit.

Also, the encounter with Aoen's best friend(?) later. Now, I played bits of this mod late at night, half-asleep, maybe it was that, or maybe it was because I chose some conversation option that made me miss it, but I had NO idea who this person was, all of a sudden. It was even more surprising to find out later that Aeon had such an emotional attachment to him as well as Rea. The man did explain why he was attacking, but it was just so out of the blue, I had the feeling that these were some random muggers we were fighting and not people that he cared about. Oh, there was also a small bug here, but like I said, I'm running BigWorld, so it could be a plethora of reasons - Rea's new boyfriend (ugh, this is ridiculous, I can't remember his name, sorry!) didn't turn hostile with the others. But I attacked and killed him and everything went on according to plan, so that was okay. :)

Anyway, a bit more foreshadowing before that battle would've been nice, just to know what's going on later.

Now to the praise part! :D Okay, where to begin, I'm such a huge fan of your mods...(may go off at a tangent and into mindless lauding, feel free to ignore). The writing is brilliant, as usually. There's something about your style that I can't put my finger on, but it usually makes me feel like I'm reading a mysterious fairy tale, rather than playing a computer game. To put it simply, it's as though I'm not just playing a mod, I'm actually enjoying something that has artistic value as well.

As I said before, I loved the idea of bromance (sorry I keep calling it that, but I love that word xD) in BG2. If you ever had doubts about it, I'm glad you didn't cave in and make Aeon a romanceable character. In the end, it's OKAY to be "just" friends with an attractive person of breeding age and a mod that has that is in no way inferior to any romance mod out there.

I loved the music - it set the mood wonderfully, especially for those little scenes when there isn't much talking involved. It really gave them more impact. And since I mentioned it, I -loved- the no/little dialogue scenes. I don't really know, but I get the feeling people don't really like those in mods or those that focus on description rather than dialogue, but don't listen to them - you are brilliant at description, so use that to your full advantage.

I also loved the fistfight between Aeon and CHARNAME. I've never played an NPC mod that did that (that is not to say that there isn't one out there). It was something new, original and unexpectedly awesome which seems to be a trademark of all your mods. (no, I'm not trying to suck up to you, believe it or not, I actually mean it xD)

Good grief, look at all I've written. ;_; And there'll probably be more to say after I finish the mod. Well, I hope this will make you at least a bit more confident about this mod - you seem to be unsure if it's any good or not. xD And I hope it may encourage anyone who reads this to download and try it themselves. I've been recommending you to everybody I know likes BG2 on reddit and in real-life, so hope that'll help a bit.

Chin-up and all that. :)

Offline Lava Del'Vortel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 12:32:17 PM »
First of all - thanks for your feedback. It's really nice to read that kind of stuff. I'm not fishing for compliments (however, it's good to hear some from time to time! :D), so it was nice to read those more...harsh words :)

As for Rea and her new boyfriend - I know that part is a bit chaotic. It's my early wrting, I wanted to include too much stuff in one mod. I really appreciate people who let me know about that. Having 100 ideas in one mod is just too much. I wanted to add some passion and hatred... I came up with some situations that aren't completly joined together... huh, sorry.

As for brotherhood - that time I thought there were already too many romances and I wanted to come up with something new. Life is about something more than friendships and romances. I even came up with some different paths - I thought of parenthood. A mod in which charname would need to take care of a child, yet I've never finished it.

As for text - I know there is too much action text, descriptions etc. If you or someone else would like to rewrite some parts, proofread them, let me know. The mod got enough of my attention and I'm not sure how much more I can offer myself.

As for fairy taleness - honestly, I think it's my style. I can't imagine writing a mod without including some magic, emotions and mysteries in it. I think the mod would be somehow...incomplete. Even now, to get my bachelor title I decided to focus on children's literature, which is actually full of that kind of stuff. And I don't mean all those "pink books with unicorns and rabbits". I try to work with extra-ordinary stuff. Huh. I want to become a writer myself. One day...

As for music - the main theme is by theacefes! She's great!

I'm not really confident when it comes to Aeon. It's an old project, I got some bad opinions, but I got some good ones as well. I put a lot of work in this NPC and no matter what some people could say, I decided to release it.

Well, I'm doing my best when I work on mods. I still have some projects I want to offer my fans (yay, I have fans! :D ) so stay tunned. I'm not sure what kind of characters you play - if males, you will surely get new romance. If females - you should try my Yoshimo Romance. It's like a depressing fairy tale :P And surely you will get a new quest. Maybe even soon. We'll see ;)

And gods - because of my mod someone decided to registed... huh, that's a great compliment!
Lava's Scriptorium

Done projects:
Colours of Infinity: TotDG, Innershade, TWQ, ISNF, Yvette, Foundling
Quests: Eilistraee's Song
NPCs and related: Varshoon | Aeon | Petsy | Tsuki BG2 | Yoshimo Romance | La'Valygar | Quayle BG2 | Swylif | Skie BG2 | White | GaheshLa'Viconia
In-progress projects: Sarine (contribution) | The Purple Splinter | Foundling
Contribution: Ilmatar's Portrait Pack | PaintBG | InfinityKits | Sarevok Friendship

Offline haroldohobbes

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 10:20:46 AM »
Hi,

I played the mod until the end of ToB (with Ascension). It's a outstanding NPC! Aeon is the best thief for play in this game, in my opinion. He is a very charismatic NPC that make the play more fun. It's a great work! His personality, voice, strange accent, dialogues,  almost everthing. Just one thing make me sad: what happens in the end. I thought the ability  "bond of blood" would make him strong enough to resist .An masterpiece like this NPC deserved a better ending. The drama surrounding his illness was very good. His melancholy and lack of confidence which will grow until the tragic outcome also noteworthy. The part of the story involving the moonblade was cool too. This NPC is a perfect example of how to be a good job with character creation as a whole. Of all the mods I've played, Aeon and Kelsey are the ones that can not miss in the list of any fan of Baldur's Gate. I really wanted to play with him in the final battle against Amelysan. Congratulations for the excellent mod.

Offline Lava Del'Vortel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 12:03:41 PM »
Thank you :) I'm really glad you like it as it was my very first NPC in English :) It had soooo many bugs and the writing had to be fixed, so it took me years to release it to the public :)
As for ToB part - yeah, I know it's sad... but it was supposed to be like that. Probably making him like all the other NPCs would make him just normal. But maybe (but I do not promise it will even happen, it's just a possibility) I may add an option to keep him... dunno.

Again, thank you :)
Lava's Scriptorium

Done projects:
NPCs and related: Varshoon | Aeon | Petsy | Tsuki BG2 | Yoshimo Romance | La'Valygar | Quayle BG2 | Swylif | Skie BG2 | White | GaheshLa'Viconia
Contribution: Ilmatar's Portrait Pack | PaintBG | InfinityKits | Sarevok Friendship

Offline haroldohobbes

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 12:25:27 AM »
One more thing: The portraits in the mod options are excellent, but I ended up creating a new one. The picture in my profile is the portrait that I created for Aeon. I used the visual of actor Mike Erwin in the series "The Vampire Diaries". But it's just the way I see the character. The portrait created by the author of the mod is a superior work.

Offline Lava Del'Vortel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 03:03:11 AM »
The portrait was made by a very tallented young artist, who used to visit SHS and other communities. Her nickname is Leila and I hope that one day she'll be back... but it seems she was fed up with BG world. BTW, she's also an author of Petsy's portrait :) Even though it's in a bit different style, but I just love it.

Oh, and if you're fed up with serious mods (as there were many drama-scenes in Aeon), you may try out Petsy :) However, she has less dialogues etc... however, you may want to make a run with PC who is a halfling/gnome/dwarf and romance her ^^ I used to hate short races, but now I like halflings as they are quite human and still just a little bit different, and gnomes as they're kinda mad and crazy... usually :P Just look at Jan, Quayle, Tiax...
Lava's Scriptorium

Done projects:

Offline MaeVar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 02:13:43 AM »
Hello, Lava! I hope you are still supporting this promising mod, so that there's a hope that my (and other's players) opinion will be taken into account in the new Aeon's version!
I haven't played yet through all the mod (I've only had "we deserve a pint" talk), but already have smth to say.
First of all - advantages, things I really liked:
+ the bromantic concept and Aeon's personality
+ the voicing - it's splendidly ingratiating
+ the portrait and the music - the last one is very touching and enigmatic, it suits Aeon perfectly
+ the "after-spying" talk - when Aeon approves PC's silent observing
+ the fight, drama and quarrels - well, the whole relationship-building process
+ the Aeon's neuralgia suffering talks (maybe I'm just sadistic:)
+ banters with Sarevok
+ the moonblade quest
Then - some unpleasant for player issues:
- the level of voicing volume is too low - much lower, then Bioware NPC's have
- at least two banters occured in the midst of the battle (2nd with Anomen, 2nd with Cernd)
- I had the similar problem as the Shocky did: Aeon's former friend didn't become hostile. Moreover, the wizards only targeted me with magic missil (each one only once!), and then just stood there doing nothing, as well as Rea did. A pity:(
- the charisma tome, found in this location, cannot be used. Bug or feature?
- the dialogues with Rea and the former "friend", along with some banters with Bioware NPC's seemed to me somehow... well, a bit shallow and immature, and I'm not talking about Aeon's immaturity.
- factual mistake(?) : neuralgia is not connected with the weak heart - it is rather caused by nerves disorder
Finally, the requests:
# please, develop Aeon further! and boost him.
# please, add more crossmod content (not only with Xan)
# the story for the seller (with new items) might be added as well
# it would be cool to add a drunk talk with PC
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 02:18:29 AM by MaeVar »

Offline Lava Del'Vortel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 06:44:36 AM »
Thanks for the feedback :) I am not sure when I can prepare the new version as I'm just drowned in all the other mods and work and Uni stuff... but maybe...
Still glad that there are at least some parts you like :)
Lava's Scriptorium

Done projects: