Author Topic: Dale: An introduction and progress report thread  (Read 5316 times)

Offline Wisp of Reality

• View Profile
Dale: An introduction and progress report thread
« on: February 21, 2010, 12:42:06 AM »
Hi, this is going to be my first major NPC mod (I've only made one other that actually worked and didn't get into banters, so please don't expect too much).

General Information

(Currently I don't have a portrait for him, the one I tried to use didn't want to show up on shadowkeeper, so I'm using Montaron's portrait, hopefully this will change in the future...but I'm not a very good artist so if you'd like to do something or can help me with my portrait problem I'd very much appreciate it, thank you)

Name: Dale
Class: Thief
Bio: When you ask about his past Dale is proud to say he's a simple man from Gullykin with a fairly proud family back home. He talks about how he got thrust into adventuring after speaking with adventurers stopping in town on their way to the Firewine Bridge, and his various (humourous) escapades, and it seems he has a different one for every occasion. When you try to ask about his sister he either changes subject or simply stops talking altogether.
(This is the current work in progress bio, it may change as I get my ideas a little more developed)

Stats:
STR 15
DEX 19
CON 10
INT 12
WIS 10
CHA 14

Version 1 will contain: 2 banters with each vanilla NPC and 2 banters with the PC.

Version 2 will add: The romance and hopefully flirts

Version 3 will add: The quest (if I can figure out how to make it work) and/or the friendship track

Version 4 will add: Throne of Bhaal content

Other Information/Q&A

What does Dale look like?

Dale is a boyish looking young halfling with tussled brown hair and vibrant green eyes, he has a coin tattooed onto his left cheek which was done by his sister.

What is Dale like?

He's a fairly stereotypical halfling, he loves the hearth and home, warm dinners and a nice place to put up his feet. However he's very driven when it comes to his goals, which are to find his sister, find a nice halfling lass to settle down with and have a nice retirement from adventuring altogether. (However it's not very likely he'll ever stop adventuring). He's also a vivid story teller, he can't help it, he's just got a lot of stories to tell.

Is this NPC romanceable?

Possibly, at the moment I'm still getting the hang of everything and using a lot of tutorials. I hope that he will be, and if he is it's possible it'll be a bisexual romance, however I'm also hoping to have completely different romances for both sexes since currently I feel that he would go about either in a very different manner. I'm fairly certain that when I have the skills to implement a romance, there will most certainly be one for Dale.

What races will be (if there is a romance) Romance-friendly?

Well hopefully all of them. I'm also aiming to have different dialogues between larger/smaller races, however I'm not sure if this will work, so don't expect anything incredible.

Will there be a friendship track?

I'm too tentative to say definitely, but it's very likely there will be.

With there be Banters with other NPCs?

Certainly, though I'm not very confident that they'll be of a high quality.

Are there any quests or items included in this mod?

Well currently a quest is a goal of mine to have in this mod, that of finding Dale's sister. I'm not sure if there will be any significant items other than one at this point in time, and even then I'm not sure I'm going to be able to implement any of this. If I get very good at this sort of thing there might be a return to Gullykin, but that's a bit too ambitious considering my skills at the moment.

Will Dale be voiced?

Hopefully, however it all depends on wether or not I learn how to get sound to work.

Will there be a music score for when he speaks?

Well, I have decided if I do learn to put sounds to it, yes there will be. Hopefully it'll be Eleanor's Lullaby from the Bioshock 2 soundtrack, however I'm not sure about if I can legally use it or not.

Will there be interjections?

Er...at the moment I'm a bit overwhelmed by interjections, so at the moment that's not on the cards. Perhaps when I'm a bit more savvy I will implement some, though this is (at this point) highly unlikely.

If you have any questions, support, help to offer etc it would be most appreciated and is accepted here. Thank you very much for even reading this.

News

23rd of October 2010: Gotten a few more party banters coded and done! Not sure if they work yet.

Thursday 23rd of September 2010: Sorry guys, been busy with my life and trying to get myself well, and my computer nuked itself into oblivion as well. I've decided I'll get the romance written and then once that's done I'll spend my time getting Dale to actually work :P With a new computer and a bit of inspiration, things should be fairly alright from here on out. Sorry that I've been away for so long. Actually, if there's anyone who's familiar with modding that could help me get the coding implemented that would save me a lot of time and make Dale come along a bit quicker~ but I probably won't be coding any time soon...

Friday 26th February 2010: Discovered the tutorial NPC works, now I just have to figure out what's wrong with Dale and we can start getting somewhere.

Thursday 25th February 2010: Banters working currently, intejections and player initiated dialogue still mucking up, I'm really stumped. (Going to see if it's the tutorial or something I've done soon)

Monday 22nd February 2010: Have a basic npc frame down, currently only have introduction, second meet talk and leaving dialogue done. Considering that I don't have much of a life right now I may get some banters done soon.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 06:44:50 PM by Wisp of Reality »
Dale is still alive as of 23/9/10

Offline Raven

• Miriam's sane half
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
  • Like Awesome!
    • View Profile
    • Vampire Tales
Re: Dale: An introduction and progress report thread
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 02:04:06 PM »
Any progress?
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Offline Amy

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 01:11:09 AM »
:(

Offline Wisp of Reality

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 03:04:31 AM »
Sorry, I've been dealing with a lot of stuff in my life, and next year I'm going to start uni so I've been busy.

I am however working on the dialog and once I've completed that I'll get back into the modding side of things and figure out how to make it work!

Offline Wisp of Reality

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 05:27:17 PM »
WHAT'S HAPPENING TO DALE:

Okay, I've started uni and just recently picked up trying to mod again (I know, I'm terrible)

But the more I think about Dale the more I realise I've created him completely wrong, the events that have occurred in his past would not have created the happy go lucky fellow I created him as, and so this is what is going to happen:

A basic version of Dale will be created and posted up here, as in he only has one banter with each NPC and the PC with the most basic of player initiated dialogues. THIS WILL BE THE END OF THIS DALE.

I will go on to create Dalin and Roseli. This will be a twin NPC pack with Dalin as a neutral fighter and Roseli as a thief. The relationship between these two is no longer a sister/brother relationship but actually a romantic one.

I am terribly sorry about this, but as I've tried to develop Dale as a character he has changed into another person entirely.  However look forward to Dalin and Roseli as their story is actually something I'm very interested in exploring, more so than I was with Dale alone.

Again, do not expect too much, as obviously I have not presented to you any reason to feel positive about my efforts in creating NPCs. I will create a new thread for Dalin and Roseli so you can present feedback about the two.