Poll

Are they still the "in" thing when it comes to mods?

Yes
14 (45.2%)
No, give me more quest mods
14 (45.2%)
No, give me more mega mods
2 (6.5%)
No, give me more tweaks
0 (0%)
No, give me something else
1 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Are NPC Mods Still In?  (Read 23540 times)

Offline TDouglas

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Are NPC Mods Still In?
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2012, 04:04:24 PM »
From a players perspective I'd say yes and no to mod NPC's.  The problem is that most folks only write for BG2 (which has a crapload already) ... however, most players are using BWP installs these days, and so are playing from BG1 through to TOB.  I'd say if you want to write a popular NPC mod, keep that in mind and write one that travels with the party from BG1 all the way through.  Seems like I've seen similar posts on other forums as well, so I don't think I'm being too weird here :)  You wouldn't have to support BGT per se (tho it would be nice from a BWP point of view) ... you could simply create separate BG1 and BG2 packages.  Seems like the writing would be easier keeping it all together tho (spoken like a true non-modder huh? :) ).

@Smiling Imp:  I love the idea of a kobald NPC!  I remember the Mortis mod had paperdolls for several non human types (gnolls etc), but don't think it has one for kobalds tho :(

Offline Rhaella

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2012, 10:12:46 AM »
Seems like the writing would be easier keeping it all together tho (spoken like a true non-modder huh? :) ).

I sort of maybe got talked into writing a full saga NPC, so I can say... it certainly can get pretty tricky. I'm maybe 2/3 or 3/4 of the way through BG1, so BG2 is still just on the horizon for me, but taking into account that the NPC may or may not have been with the party throughout BG1 is not going to be too much fun. I'd be reluctant to require any players to go through straight from BG1... some people (like me) use TuTu instead, some don't play BG1 at all, and now there's BGEE as well, so I think you'd really have to go separate packages to make things really work efficiently.

Besides that... yeah, it actually is kind of more interesting than just writing for BG2, since starting with a level 1 or 2 character is much different than a level 8 or 9 one. NPC banters are horrible, though, because half of the BG1 Biowares have no personalities at all. Or the same personalities.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 10:18:14 AM by Rhaella »

Offline TDouglas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2012, 12:26:17 PM »

There aren't many NPCs currently that are in both (that had any dialog in BG2 at all), but taking Viconia as an example you'd not really start to "get to know" the NPC until BG2.  The BG1 NPC project mostly put in generic and quest related dialogs ... nothing that conflicts with BG2.  You could easily do much the same with your own NPC, but to me it seems backwards.  Seems like you'd develop the NPC as an individual during BG1 (when you're wandering around randomly a good deal of the time) and keep the BG2 / TOB dialogs more quest oriented.  That's just me tho :)

I can understand your reluctance based on whether or not the NPC was in the BG1 party ... however, in all fairness, Biowares dialog presupposes Viconia was.  BGT would make life a lot easier with that sort of thing, since it will let you set a variable about the NPC (which your BG2 dialog could easily pick up on).  Some BG2 dialogs could provide background but would depend on that variable being unset to do so.  Pretty much just a wildly toned down version of whatever you wrote for BG1 (copy / paste is your friend here :) ).

It would definately be more interesting in the case of NPC quests, which could now be spread out over a much greater area and time period (if the NPC was in the BG1 party, of course).  Same thing with the NPCs history ... for instance, if (and only if) the NPC is with you in BG1 they could get a quest to track down missing family members (or whatever), and find clues leading them towards Amn.  It would make relocating the NPC there after the transition that much easier.  If you bring them back into the party, the quest continues :)

Offline Rhaella

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2012, 08:15:03 PM »
Hmm. I don't use BGT because I don't own TotSC, but how does the transition actually work? Do your party members at the end of BG1 actually stay with you in the beginning of BG2, or are you on your own with Imoen, Jaheira, and Minsc again?

Offline TDouglas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2012, 03:47:41 AM »
You're still on your own (BGT follows the original storyline closely), but variables are set (I can't think of the exact names off the bat, but it's something like EdwinInPartyBG1 (it also sets one if you kill Drizzt, turning him more hostile when you run across him after the underdark exit).  Something like that would be extremely usefull for whole saga NPCs (dialog and quest wise). 

Of course, you can set any variables you want, which opens the door to saga long quests in general.  I've always liked Bonehills example with Shagralliar (sp?) ... you pick up his staff in Bonehill proper, then get attacked by him three different times over the rest of BG1 (the last just prior to entering Sarevoks undercity temple).  Something like that could be employed across the entire saga with BGT pretty easily.