Poll

When is it appropriate to announce a new version of a mod in the main CoM mods forum?

Every little piece counts, let the world know about the new beta every week.
1 (10%)
Wait until you have a full release out.
2 (20%)
If you have made significant progress after a month or so (or have lots of bug fixes).
5 (50%)
Other (please explain in a reply)
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: When to announce a new version  (Read 7005 times)

Offline WildGirl

• Lawful. Good. Modder.
    • View Profile
    • Throne of Bhaal Revisited main page
When to announce a new version
« on: July 07, 2009, 05:17:08 PM »
This also goes for adding a mod to the Modlist.  http://modlist.pocketplane.net/  And I plan on announcing on this board every weekly release.

Offline yarpen

• View Profile
Re: When to announce a new version
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 09:14:43 AM »
Personally I think that there should a line between something called Hotfixes (which in my opinion can be not-only-fixes but also adding brand new content) and releases which are far larger. :)

Offline WildGirl

• Lawful. Good. Modder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 11:11:42 AM »
That's a good point.  I decided to check out Wikipedia so that I can get my terminology straight.  (Wikipedia is always right, right?)  The mod is in beta, because the general public is can play it and is encouraged to offer feedback.  But I haven't instituted the feature freeze commonly associated with betas; actually each new version has a lot of new features.  So much so that I don't think it's a hotfix either, which seems to be primarily a fix of existing content.

So in conclusion, I have a beta with new features added every ten days or so.  I think I'll call these "content updates," and I'll keep a version number on them so that if people have problems I'll know where to look.

Offline Sasha Al'Therin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 12:45:01 PM »
I had to go with 'Other' cause the other options just didn't seem to fit with me...

I think it all depends upon how you make the mod available and what kind of time you have on your hands.  In my case for the BG fixpack (or any other mod I do), I make an announcement when I've updated the download link on my website. Otherwise, I might talk about changes made locally when the topic comes up but I don't update the download with every little change (unless that change is needed to make the mod actually work).

No matter how you do it, I highly recommend using the VERSION command now available in Weidu.

Offline Leomar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 09:50:32 PM »
If you have made significant progress after a month or so (or have lots of bug fixes).
I think that is o.k. and Sasha Al'Therin explained it like it should be.  :)

Greetings Leomar

Offline Amy

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 03:10:19 PM »
Whenever a major fix is done or new content is added.

Offline yarpen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 04:35:41 PM »
That's the option better for player - but I think that for mod progress you should show to us even the slightest part. It allows to discuss one part of mod BEFORE making other, maybe important and major stuff. F.e. you've added special scenery character. In the opinion of all players (sorry for that - that's only example!) this person sucks. If you present the whole thing, maybe you did something connected to him. Of course it's very weak example - that's your mod but I hope that you know what I mean. :)

Offline Ardanis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 01:08:39 PM »
Imo document the progress as often as you please, but release updates at slower pace. I see little point in updating every week, unless you expect people to actively test it and hunt for bugs.

Offline WildGirl

• Lawful. Good. Modder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 02:18:19 PM »
Thanks for all the replies!  It's good to get some balance.  Sometimes I let my enthusiasm get away with me.

I'm going to post an update in this forum every ten days or so, so that people know that the mod is still being worked on.  I also work better with deadlines, so this'll keep me going.  But I won't be posting anywhere else until I get a full version out the door.  The link on the website will continue to be updated for the beta testers.