Author Topic: Noob with Need  (Read 31900 times)

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Modders
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Noob with Need
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2009, 02:38:27 PM »
Dude.. you're awesome. That worked like a charm, thanks

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Modders
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2009, 03:59:34 PM »
Here is a question from Saber, quoted from a different thread that I could not find an answer for

"When making banter, how do I make a banter with the PC? I know that Jaheira's banter file is BJAHEIR, but what is the PC's?"

Was trying to add new dialog types and I was curious about this myself. Oh, and in which dialog file would it be in?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 04:03:12 PM by Smiling Imp »

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Modders
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2009, 10:58:23 PM »
Hmmm here is something I am finding puzzling. I made an item that is supposed to display a text when used, like "gulp" for a potion. I used the DLTCEP to do it, but when I close the program out it asks me to overwrite my dialog.tlk file, which I've been told is bad. Anyways, if I overwrite it, the text displays fine, that is until I uninstall Baldur's Gate SOA and try a fresh game. Is there any other way to achieve this without messing with the dialog.tlk?   

Offline Jarno Mikkola

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2009, 04:27:27 AM »
Here is a question from Saber, quoted from a different thread that I could not find an answer for
"When making banter, how do I make a banter with the PC? I know that Jaheira's banter file is BJAHEIR, but what is the PC's?"
Was trying to add new dialog types and I was curious about this myself. Oh, and in which dialog file would it be in?
Well you add the possible choose options with the IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~~ GOTO commands, like say this kind:
Code: [Select]
IF ~*condition*~ THEN BEGIN Talk1
SAY ~plah plah~
IF ~*condition1*~ THEN REPLY ~plah plah plah~ GOTO Talk2
IF ~*condition2*~ THEN REPLY ~plah plah plah2~ GOTO Talk3
IF ~*condition3*~ THEN REPLY ~plah plah plah3~ EXIT
END
And then you continue it with the custom* named talk name: Talk2, Talk3 etc, while the EXIT end the talk, and every dialog three branch needs to end with an END.

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Talk2
SAY ~~ ...
END

Hmmm here is something I am finding puzzling. I made an item that is supposed to display a text when used, like "gulp" for a potion. I used the DLTCEP to do it, but when I close the program out it asks me to overwrite my dialog.tlk file, which I've been told is bad. Anyways, if I overwrite it, the text displays fine, that is until I uninstall Baldur's Gate SOA and try a fresh game. Is there any other way to achieve this without messing with the dialog.tlk?
With DLTCEP, no. But you should really make the mod install itself with WeiDU, so you can also uninstall the mod, make a few adjustments, and then reinstall it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 04:33:05 AM by Jarno Mikkola »

Offline berelinde

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2009, 11:24:55 PM »
Yeah, for actual banter with the PC, it's best to allow the PC a choice of responses, and use the format Jarno gives, but there might be rare instances where you want to give the PC the opportunity to talk to himself. If that's the case, the dialogue file is Player1.dlg. I'm just saying this for accuracy. You probably won't need to know it. I've used it precisely once in half a dozen mods, but the PC does have a dialogue file, and that's it.

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Modders
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2009, 06:11:13 AM »
Thanks guys...

Here is something I haven't been able to figure out. Can't figure out a way to trigger a dialog from an NPC that should come up after a few dialogs with a different NPC (hope that makes sense.. kinda gets me dizzy) Here is the code

ending dialog of first NPC

IF ~Global("KAFEI1","GLOBAL",5)~ THEN BEGIN TALK4
SAY ~BLAH..BLAH..BLAH.~
IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("RING1","GLOBAL",3)~ EXIT
END

Here is the dialog I'm trying to trigger from the second NPC

IF ~Global("RING1","GLOBAL",3)~ THEN BEGIN REP1
SAY ~BLAH, BLAH, BLAH~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~No problem.~ DO ~AddexperienceParty(500)
ReputationInc(1)~ EXIT
END

I can never get that dialog to come up. Instead the 2nd NPC keeps repeating the dialog before that one which is..

IF ~NumTimesTalkedToGT(0)!GlobalGT("ANJUQ","GLOBAL",3)~ THEN BEGIN TALK2
SAY ~BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.~
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

All the dialogs are in the regular .D file, not the banter or interjection files. Can anyone help? Am I missing some crucial info here?

Offline Jarno Mikkola

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 03:22:12 AM »
Hmm, thanks berelinde, I might or not use that.

This is all just guessing cause I would need to see the whole coding to say for sure, but...
I can never get that dialog to come up. Instead the 2nd NPC keeps repeating the dialog before that one which is..

IF
~NumTimesTalkedToGT(0)
 !GlobalGT("ANJUQ","GLOBAL",3)~ THEN BEGIN TALK2
SAY ~BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.~
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END
Well, the NumTimesTalkedToGT(0) is true always after the first talk with the dialog line from character, and the !GlobalGT("ANJUQ","GLOBAL",3) is true if the Global ANJUQ is 0, 1, 2 or 3 and as I see it not being reset by anything, it might fire always there after. So you just need to replace the second last line: IF ~~ THEN EXIT
With...
IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("ANJUQ","GLOBAL",4)~ EXIT Or the like, so it doesn't fire up again.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 03:37:09 AM by Jarno Mikkola »

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Modders
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2009, 05:03:18 AM »
Thanks Jarno, that did the trick

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Modders
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2009, 09:49:02 PM »
Hey guys, I was wondering what the procedure is to add an are to BG2. I saw a bucnh of maps on the Pocket Plane Modlist and my idea was to take an area, say from Icewind Dale, and some monsters, and have a small dialog where to evil NPCs talk to one another before attacking the party. Most of this is over my head at this point though. I  was wondering if anyone could help me out, our point out some tutorials or mods that I could study

Offline Tervadh

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2009, 04:20:58 PM »
Hey guys, I was wondering what the procedure is to add an are to BG2. I saw a bucnh of maps on the Pocket Plane Modlist and my idea was to take an area, say from Icewind Dale
Some mods do this already... maybe NEJ2, Drizzt Saga, probably the new IWDinBG2 engine converter. It is not really that difficult since they are both IE games, but the tough part is adding entrances/exits, patching it into the worldmap, etc. Also, you'd have to change the area version in DLTCEP and delete any references to creatures etc. you won't be copying over.
"One should choose one's bedfellows while it is daylight." -Swedish proverb

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Modders
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2009, 10:51:10 AM »
Thanks again Tervadh. I got my map to unload with my mod, started making impassable objects and shading the darker parts like it intructs in the IETME tutorial but I am still having problems. I can't get the PC and the party to start where I want them to. I've made entrances, but they still start in the same default place they did before. I'm not sure I even want to mess around with doors, seems too complicated. I just want the party to start in a certain spot, have a massive battle, and then leave from a certain spot.. can anyone lend any pointers?

Offline Sasha Al'Therin

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2009, 01:29:42 PM »
If you can't find a way to get them to enter the map where you want them, you might be able to try using MoveToPoint in the area script. The player would see the party start walking and possibly interrupt them, so you'd probably want to create a cutscene to move the party and then bring in the bad guys for the fight.

The only other thought is to make sure that the entrance to the area is where you want the party to appear. If you made everything else along that edge impassable terrain, then they probably would show up where you wanted them.

I'm just grasping at straws here.  I've not had any experience in adding new areas, just editing existing ones...

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Modders
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2009, 11:08:24 PM »
Thanks Sasha, however I have to take a step back b/c I haven't been able to get to my area without CLUAing in, so I don't actually know if my enterances are working or not. I can't find the proper ACTION.IDS to teleport the party there after they talk to my NPC. I've looked into a couple mods, not NEJ yet, but a few others, and the coding they have doesn't make sense to me. Can anyone help?

Also, I started adding actors/monsters but I had a thought. I want the level to be repeatable, save for one 'Boss' creature. Should I be creating these as spawns? Or is this feat possible through the area script. Which reminds me, what the heck is an area script, and how do I even start writing one? Is there a tutorial for that?

I know, I know, so many questions, so little time

Offline berelinde

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2009, 09:20:02 PM »
Try looking at Romantic Encounters. It uses dialogue and cutscenes to transition to several new areas and then back again. I know that Laran uses it extensively, but many other encounters do, too.

Offline Smiling Imp

• Eternal Apprentice
  • Modders
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2009, 01:56:35 PM »
YESSS!!! Thanks again berelinde, I can now get my party to my area after they talk to my NPC, and they start where I want them to.

But before I start loading up the area with a small army of bad guys, I want to have it so that the creatures, save one boss character, come back if you revisit the area. My first guess is that I have to do an area script, but not really sure.. have to read around some more. Can someone point me in the right direction here?

Ah, and music..  I said I was going to do this but I  got sidetracked on some much other stuff and shamefully I forgot about it. I know there are a few tutorials out there that I will read, but what is the best way to add a song to the game and have it play during my level?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 02:19:51 PM by Smiling Imp »