Author Topic: Halflings have been neglected...  (Read 28164 times)

Offline Carleton

• Level one bard
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Halflings have been neglected...
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2010, 12:21:49 AM »
I don't recall this Whistler kit, sounds interesting.
:whistle:The Whistler Kit is from The Complete Bard's Handbook(TSR 1992) in the Demi-Humans as Bards section, pages 61-62. In short, the Whistler is a halfling specific bard who the author characterizes as (Like the Dwarven Chanter) the unheralded heroes of their race. Nature sensitive and vegetarian, the Whistler is extremely rare and only one or two may be found in any given village. The class is an amalgam of farmer, forest wanderer and entertainer. They tend to be reclusive living just outside village borders near the edge of forests as to maintain their connection with nature. In particular they love forest animals and all types of plantlife. The very tunes of a skilled Whistler can help a garden overcome a drought or blight. Whistlers can also communicate with birds to help prevent insect swarms from wiping out a village's food supply.
   When Whistlers aren't tending gardens and crops, they can be found performing for the locals. Nearly every day, a comfortable crowd forms in some grassy section of the community for an evening's entertainment. Some sit on the grass and listen to the Whistler's tunes, while others dance about, laugh and make merry.

Role: Liason between the halfling community and nature.
Skills:Farmer, forester, fisher, leatherworker, tailor/weaver, trapper/furrier
       (All of these skills are used to benefit nature.This knowledge is used to thwart traps and snares, scare away or warn wildlife, etc.)
Weapons:Half of proficiencies must be thrown weapons. Choose from blowgun,shortbow,club,light crossbow,dagger,dart,foootmans' mace,handaxe,harpoon,javelin,knife,quarterstaff,sling,spear,staffsling,shortsword,warhammer.
Non-Weapon:Agriculture,dancing,spellcraft,whistling/humming,animal lore astrology,brewing,cooking,crowd working,direction sense,firebuilding,herbalism,hunting,mountaineering,musical instrument,poetry,rope use,singing,set snares,survival,swimming,tracking,weather sense

Tom Bombadil - Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring (book)
Hi Friend

Offline Thaddeus

• Metalbard Undeadslayer
  • Seek and ye shall know peace...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2010, 04:46:20 PM »
Bombadil? Umm...Not even slightly. Tom Bombadil is an immortal, older than the earth itself and not a halfling...
Seek for the Sword that was broken: In Imladris it dwells;There shall be counsels taken, Stronger than Morgul-Spells.There shall be shown a token That Doom is near at hand, For Isildur's Bane shall waken, And the Halfling forth shall stand.

"It is the colour of a bleached skull, his flesh; and the long hair which flows to his shoulders is milk-white. From the tapering, beautiful head stare two eyes, crimson and moody, and from the loose sleeves of his yellow gown emerge two slender hands, also the color of bone." -"Elric of Melnibone"

Offline Raven

• Miriam's sane half
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
  • Like Awesome!
    • View Profile
    • Vampire Tales
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2011, 03:10:26 PM »
:(
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Offline Solaufein

• Lord of the Realms
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
  • Man against the Machine
    • ICQ Messenger - 251194643
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - gscott7833
    • View Profile
    • http://teambg.net
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2011, 03:31:47 PM »
No more halflings?
My mods:
Dark Horizons
The Undying
Nikita
IWD2 store

Co-contributor:
Dark Side of the Sword Coast BG1 Weidu
Aurils Bane
Encounters
Saerileth
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Offline berelinde

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2011, 12:20:19 AM »
I don't know what it is, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of love out there for halflings. Which is a shame. But dwarves don't fare much better. Pity.

Offline Raven

• Miriam's sane half
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
  • Like Awesome!
    • View Profile
    • Vampire Tales
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2011, 04:12:07 PM »
:(

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Modders
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2012, 06:59:11 PM »
Well...

I think I said it before, I have a halfling in the works.  Not sure how good he'll be (I am not a writer, so doing dialogues is a struggle), but he's a halfling at least.   I guess that's better than none at all?   Can't say if I'll finish him.  I have to take the time to relearn all the code, find out where I left off, re-write some of the conversations and try to make them a little better, then perhaps add some tweaks.   I've no idea if I'll get around to putting in the mini-quest that I had intended, or anything like PC-initiated talks (really not sure why anyone would want to initiate discussion with this fella...), custom items, and the like.
In progress - Armin Kasun - a mercenary NPC for BG2

On hold - Halbo NPC for BG2, the evil halfling thief, food critic, and party troublemaker

Offline Raven

• Miriam's sane half
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
  • Like Awesome!
    • View Profile
    • Vampire Tales
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2012, 08:37:28 PM »
Do a "One Day" npc. At least you have something under your name and you can always make it an official npc mod later on by adding more dialogs, quests or whatever.

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Modders
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2012, 08:55:59 PM »
Do a "One Day" npc. At least you have something under your name and you can always make it an official npc mod later on by adding more dialogs, quests or whatever.

I see advantages and disadvantages to that.   In a way, it's probably a confidence booster to just have done something successfully and be able to set it aside.  On the other hand, there are a lot of things I wanted to try that wouldn't have been possible with a one-day... and yes, I did manage to accomplish some of those things.   The other problem is writing.  As I said before, writing isn't exactly my strong point, so being able to copy the speaking styles of the other NPCs is a major chore, and even then I'm generally dissatisfied.  That's not exactly conducive to getting something done quickly.   

In retrospect, the concept is too influenced by the LOTR idea of halflings, and that doesn't exactly fit really well into FR.  Then again... maybe Middle Earth is just another plane of existence... Either way, he was mostly a joke PC designed to get on people's nerves and to help me experiment with scripting.  There were no preplanned background, quests (originally), or meaningful interactions that resulted in any character development.  Hm.  Come to think of it, it sounds like a one-day NPC that took a year to make!  The only problem right now is I stopped at a point at which I either have to go back and erase something to publish it, or press forward and create more content.   Publishing it as is (even though it works) would result (depending on the chosen party) in a lot of angry, or at least disappointed, players.

I'll most likely keep working on it in bits and pieces, but focus more on one that's more serious, fits into the setting, and has a three-dimensional character.   Perhaps I'll post the concept later.
In progress - Armin Kasun - a mercenary NPC for BG2

On hold - Halbo NPC for BG2, the evil halfling thief, food critic, and party troublemaker