Author Topic: Halflings have been neglected...  (Read 27345 times)

Offline Thaddeus

• Metalbard Undeadslayer
  • Seek and ye shall know peace...
    • View Profile
Re: Halflings have been neglected...
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 02:15:11 PM »
I don't recall this Whistler kit, sounds interesting.
:whistle:The Whistler Kit is from The Complete Bard's Handbook(TSR 1992) in the Demi-Humans as Bards section, pages 61-62. In short, the Whistler is a halfling specific bard who the author characterizes as (Like the Dwarven Chanter) the unheralded heroes of their race. Nature sensitive and vegetarian, the Whistler is extremely rare and only one or two may be found in any given village. The class is an amalgam of farmer, forest wanderer and entertainer. They tend to be reclusive living just outside village borders near the edge of forests as to maintain their connection with nature. In particular they love forest animals and all types of plantlife. The very tunes of a skilled Whistler can help a garden overcome a drought or blight. Whistlers can also communicate with birds to help prevent insect swarms from wiping out a village's food supply.
   When Whistlers aren't tending gardens and crops, they can be found performing for the locals. Nearly every day, a comfortable crowd forms in some grassy section of the community for an evening's entertainment. Some sit on the grass and listen to the Whistler's tunes, while others dance about, laugh and make merry.

Role: Liason between the halfling community and nature.
Skills:Farmer, forester, fisher, leatherworker, tailor/weaver, trapper/furrier
       (All of these skills are used to benefit nature.This knowledge is used to thwart traps and snares, scare away or warn wildlife, etc.)
Weapons:Half of proficiencies must be thrown weapons. Choose from blowgun,shortbow,club,light crossbow,dagger,dart,foootmans' mace,handaxe,harpoon,javelin,knife,quarterstaff,sling,spear,staffsling,shortsword,warhammer.
Non-Weapon:Agriculture,dancing,spellcraft,whistling/humming,animal lore astrology,brewing,cooking,crowd working,direction sense,firebuilding,herbalism,hunting,mountaineering,musical instrument,poetry,rope use,singing,set snares,survival,swimming,tracking,weather sense

Whistlers only hunt or fish for food in order to avoid death by starvation.

Armor:padded or less, no hide or leather

Benefits:Influence reactions,Counter spell by whistling or humming,Chattering-communicate with woodland animals,stormwhistle

Cast Spell (Whistles) by Level:1-pass without trace
                                         3-obscurement
                                         5-plant growth
                                         7-speak with plants
                                         9-control winds
                                         11-Weather summoning
                                         13-control weather
                                         15-entangle

Hindrances:no wizard spells,no 10th lvl bard ability to use any written magic item

Now, bear in mind that this is the P&P version and this kit wil need to be tweaked and adjusted to make it a good BG experiance. It is not a powerful character but it has character. And that's what it is, isn't it? And besides, this idea as an npc would provide a great chance for a singular sound track.Lastly, from the aforementioned CBHB, theDwarven Chanter and the Elven Minstrel are also excellent race specific bard kits.

Seek for the Sword that was broken: In Imladris it dwells;There shall be counsels taken, Stronger than Morgul-Spells.There shall be shown a token That Doom is near at hand, For Isildur's Bane shall waken, And the Halfling forth shall stand.

"It is the colour of a bleached skull, his flesh; and the long hair which flows to his shoulders is milk-white. From the tapering, beautiful head stare two eyes, crimson and moody, and from the loose sleeves of his yellow gown emerge two slender hands, also the color of bone." -"Elric of Melnibone"

Offline Tervadh

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 11:17:33 PM »
The bard slot is hardcoded to humans and half-elves, but you could do a bard kit for a different race via spell applied after creation.

The Complete Book of Gnomes and Halflings had some interesting kits too, like Sherriff (fighter), Smuggler (thief), Cartographer (F/T) and Leaftender (cleric).  Ed Greenwood did a pre-first edition supplement called The Five Shires too, which had a pretty interesting halfling druid kit called the Master, with special spells like Thornspear and Earthgrip.  There was even a secret halfling mage kit called the Keeper, who could manipulate a rare substance called the Blackflame and even craft magic items from it, like the Blacksling (at a cost of 90k gp, 7 days labour and several special ingredients).  That would make a very cool kit if done properly.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 11:19:17 PM by Tervadh »
"One should choose one's bedfellows while it is daylight." -Swedish proverb

Offline Thaddeus

• Metalbard Undeadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 10:19:57 AM »
The bard slot is hardcoded to humans and half-elves, but you could do a bard kit for a different race via spell applied after creation.

The Complete Book of Gnomes and Halflings had some interesting kits too, like Sherriff (fighter), Smuggler (thief), Cartographer (F/T) and Leaftender (cleric).  Ed Greenwood did a pre-first edition supplement called The Five Shires too, which had a pretty interesting halfling druid kit called the Master, with special spells like Thornspear and Earthgrip.  There was even a secret halfling mage kit called the Keeper, who could manipulate a rare substance called the Blackflame and even craft magic items from it, like the Blacksling (at a cost of 90k gp, 7 days labour and several special ingredients).  That would make a very cool kit if done properly.
:) You know something, I remember that book but upon viewing this post and rooting through my collection I find that I do not own it. Amazon here I come. Thanks for the heads up.
Seek for the Sword that was broken: In Imladris it dwells;There shall be counsels taken, Stronger than Morgul-Spells.There shall be shown a token That Doom is near at hand, For Isildur's Bane shall waken, And the Halfling forth shall stand.

"It is the colour of a bleached skull, his flesh; and the long hair which flows to his shoulders is milk-white. From the tapering, beautiful head stare two eyes, crimson and moody, and from the loose sleeves of his yellow gown emerge two slender hands, also the color of bone." -"Elric of Melnibone"

Offline Tervadh

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 11:41:25 AM »
Amazon here I come. Thanks for the heads up.
I see Five Shires is going for US$60.  Probably got it for a tenth the price, years ago.  Makes me wonder what my two dusty boxes full of what I'd considered mainly "rubbish" might be worth...

You can get the Complete book for considerably less, though it's not as good IMO.

Offline Sasha Al'Therin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2008, 09:13:53 PM »
Speaking of halfling npc's, I've got one in the works. Okay, she's not a full halfling.  She's half-human and half-halfing. Strange combination I know, but it could be possible.
I wanted a thief in my party and I wanted a halfling presence, but I can't stand the animation for the halflings. That's the "actual" reason behind the decision, but I've got a good backstory for why she's that way. I'm not gonna share it right now, cause I want to bring it out piece by piece during banters in the mod.

Offline Tervadh

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2008, 11:38:55 PM »
She's half-human and half-halfing. Strange combination I know, but it could be possible.
Heh, yeah that's weird.  But I guess it's not totally unprecedented, as even in Tolkien there were supposedly halflings with human, elvish and dwarvish blood (Hairfoots, Tallfellows and Stout, something that got translated into Harfoots, Fallowhides and Stoors in AD&D, or the other way around I guess).  They were all still more halfling-sized than human though.

What's wrong with the halfling animation? It's a lot better than the so-called "gnome" animations, which are really just dwarf or halfling animations, depending on the class (the bearded female gnome mage being among the worst).

Offline Sasha Al'Therin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 06:42:07 AM »
What's wrong with the halfling animation? It's a lot better than the so-called "gnome" animations, which are really just dwarf or halfling animations, depending on the class (the bearded female gnome mage being among the worst).
I don't like how it makes the paper doll look. That would be why Solestia's got her own personal armor that she refuses to remove (unless she's doing something through dialog).  The BG2 engine automatically switches her paperdoll and avatar to halfling even if the animation is set to a human setting. It's just a personal thing, really...
The history and personality would still work if she had the halfling anim, but I don't think she would stand out as much.   ;D (pun intended)

EDIT: Fixed the quote box
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 05:59:11 PM by Sasha Al'Therin »

Offline Thaddeus

• Metalbard Undeadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 05:33:34 PM »
Speaking of halfling npc's, I've got one in the works. Okay, she's not a full halfling.  She's half-human and half-halfing. Strange combination I know, but it could be possible.
I wanted a thief in my party and I wanted a halfling presence, but I can't stand the animation for the halflings. That's the "actual" reason behind the decision, but I've got a good backstory for why she's that way. I'm not gonna share it right now, cause I want to bring it out piece by piece during banters in the mod.
;D Hooray for halflings! Your idea sounds interesting. I've always felt that the avatar and the paperdoll for them was a bit exaggerated. Tolkien's own illustrations show them as smaller humans, not like the very squat and round "Rankin/Bass" depiction that BG uses. I grew up loving that stuff but for this application I think that NWN2 has done the best job so far. Look forward to playing your mod!

Offline Raven

• Miriam's sane half
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
  • Like Awesome!
    • View Profile
    • Vampire Tales
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2008, 07:26:33 AM »
Halflings need love. They need a romance mod.
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Offline Raven

• Miriam's sane half
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
  • Like Awesome!
    • View Profile
    • Vampire Tales
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 02:12:48 PM »
We need more halflings like Alora. Maybe not a thief but perhaps a cleric. We already have a paladin wanna be in Mazzy so no more warriors.
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Offline Wisp of Reality

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2010, 04:47:54 PM »
I've started my first major NPC mod (not exactly sure how to put it up or anything....I'm really new to this stuff...) and it involves a halfing (romanceable maybe?) npc called Dale who's traveled from Gullykin to Amn following slavers who took his sister... Not sure if anyone is actually interested but eh, I'm going to enjoy it for myself even if no one else does...currently all I'm certain about is that he's a thief, good natured (not sure if he's going to be 'good' however) and very out of his depth...well, maybe he won't be a thief *still thinking it through*.

Should I post this in another topic? I'm just not sure what to do...
Dale is still alive as of 23/9/10

Offline MajorTomSawyer

• Retired
  • Modders
  • Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Nerds Я Us
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2010, 09:21:11 PM »
I've started my first major NPC mod (not exactly sure how to put it up or anything....I'm really new to this stuff...) and it involves a halfing (romanceable maybe?) npc called Dale who's traveled from Gullykin to Amn following slavers who took his sister... Not sure if anyone is actually interested but eh, I'm going to enjoy it for myself even if no one else does...currently all I'm certain about is that he's a thief, good natured (not sure if he's going to be 'good' however) and very out of his depth...well, maybe he won't be a thief *still thinking it through*.

Should I post this in another topic? I'm just not sure what to do...

A few things here:

1.) Welcome to CoM.
2.) Making an NPC (or any mod) is a huge project. Pace yourself, and do not be afraid to ask for help.
3.) There are a ton of useful tutorials around, read them. They can help.
4.) Backup your work. Modders seem to be cursed to have at least one harddrive crash (happened to me a while back when working on Baldur's Goth). I lost about half of the protraits my wife and I had done.
5.) There are lots of IE forums around, and they are mostly populated with the same people at all of them. Still, it does not hurt to look around a bit, especially for tutorials. I will come back to a point on this below.

You might want to start a topic announcing your mod as a work in progress. I cannot speak for everyone, but you idea sounds nifty and I would love to play it when you finish it. Some modders like to make posts at all the different modding communities announcing it as a work in progress. Now, if you are seeing hosting, you might do most of your updates on a single "Progress" thread somewhere. It is just easier to keep up with questions and the like if you are not bouncing back and forth (and more often then not), only to answer the same question.

I won't bag on any of the other communities (even though I fall between liked/tolerated at all of them but one), but I like CoM so naturally I would recommend it here (and you already have an account here as well). The staff is awesome, and there are some very friendly/talented modders here (I don't really qualify as either of those).

I also recommend keeping your ideas small at first. Do things in steps. Too many failed modders come up with Earth-Shattering ideas for new things in the game that have never been done, and wind up biting off more then they can chew. Keep things basic at first (I am too lazy to search for them now, but Kuloyk's tutorials are well written and easy to follow). Do some work, test it, and it if works to your standards then if you want to get more complex, try to add the new parts.

If you need any help, this is the forum I check the most, and I will do my best to help you with my limited skills. In the meantime, the best place for you to start your announcement/possible progress thread here would be on the Mod Room subforum.

If you are interested in getting hosted, when you have a little work to show (or not, I am not 100% sure on the requirements here), you might shoot a PM to one of the admins here. The worst they will say is no, right?
"A good pipe and tobacco will allow you to endure fools, boobs, nitwits, most bosses, angry spouses, (well, maybe not angry spouses), incompetents, slings and arrows, broadsides and people who cut in front of you after you've waited 15 minutes in highway construction zones, and most of life's little problems." - Ted's Pipe Shop

Webmaster of Gaming Nerds Я Us.

Offline Wisp of Reality

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2010, 11:47:41 PM »
Thank you so much, that's really everything I was worrying about not being sure of, I'll post a thread right away outlining things a bit more clearly (though...not that much more clearly...I'm still getting things organised and just trying to get a simple npc to install using a tutorial).

Offline MajorTomSawyer

• Retired
  • Modders
  • Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Nerds Я Us
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2010, 12:39:46 AM »
That is an excellent start. The more complex things tend to come easier once you have learned the basics. The best advice I can give you is code as you go. Don't do all the writing and planning, then set out to code it. At that point you have a 'beast' to code and it can get overwhelming. Coding as you write makes it much easier.

Mind you this is being typed by someone who has been taking far too long to finish his own NPC mod...
"A good pipe and tobacco will allow you to endure fools, boobs, nitwits, most bosses, angry spouses, (well, maybe not angry spouses), incompetents, slings and arrows, broadsides and people who cut in front of you after you've waited 15 minutes in highway construction zones, and most of life's little problems." - Ted's Pipe Shop

Webmaster of Gaming Nerds Я Us.

Offline Wisp of Reality

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2010, 08:16:56 PM »
That would be very much appreciated, thank you.

Hah! Well, sometimes great things take a lot more time than we first thought...