Author Topic: BG1 Items in BG2  (Read 3805 times)

Offline Xenshail

• Level 2
    • View Profile
BG1 Items in BG2
« on: April 21, 2005, 02:58:23 PM »
Anyone know what items come to BG2 only if you import a character with them? I am playing BG right now and wanted to know what items to get.
Many Many pretties... piled high beyond the sky. (Sigh)

You! Do I know you? No, I don't know anyone! Back! Bad Dog! Play Dead!

Ooh this face is boring, now I'm...

Shut up! No more questions! Make an appointment! The Coordinater speaks to no one! No one... speaks the Coordinator...

When Tiax rules, britches will not ride up so wedge-like.

Never alone, even when alone. You just cannot see!

You go do that, and try to relax. The warden will be by soon enough. Then cookies.

Offline The Zen One

• View Profile
    • Email
BG1 Items in BG2
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 08:30:34 AM »
Dagger of Venom, any stat raising tome, Spider's Bane, Cloak of Balduran (unless you have tactics), Plate Mail +3, Drizzit equipment (you can get it in BGII but only for a while), arrows of detonation.  I'm sure there is more but the Dagger of Venom and Cloak of Balduran are  the only things you could potential have a need for.  Arrows of detonation can be found but not bought in the quantity that BG I allowed.
"The teaching is 'Ai Uchi', meaning to cut your opponent just as he cuts you.  This is the ultimate timing...it is lack of anger.  It means to treat your enemy as an honored guest.  It also means to abandon your life or throw away fear."  Miyamoto Musashi, A Book of Five Rings

Offline Wistrik

• Level 1
    • View Profile
BG1 Items in BG2
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 08:11:39 PM »
Here are the items according to the unmodded game's internal files:

According to IMPORT01.2DA: (Given to Illyich)
- Chain Mail +2, 'Mail of the Dead' (default item for newly created characters in BG2)
- Chain Mail +3
- Leather Armor +2, 'Protector of the Second'
- Studded Leather +2, 'Missile Attraction' (cursed item)
- Plate Mail +1

According to IMPORT02.2DA: (Not used!)
- Sword of Chaos +2 (only for newly created characters in BG2)
- Long Sword +1, Flame Tongue 'The Burning Earth'
- War Hammer +2, 'Ashideena'
- Bala's Axe, 'Wizard Slayer'
- Halberd +2, 'Suryris' Blade'
- Dagger +2, Longtooth 'Grave Binder'
- Staff Spear +2
- Staff Mace +2 (becomes a normal Staff Mace)
- Sling +3, 'Arla's Dragonbane' (becomes normal Sling +3)
- Long Sword +2, 'Varscona'
- Mace +2, 'Krotan's Skullcrusher' (becomes normal Mace +2)
- The Root of the Problem (club) (assuming you actually found it)
- Kiel's Morningstar

According to IMPORT03.2DA: (Given to bookcase in Jon's room)
- Helm of Balduran (default item for newly created characters in BG2)
- The Claw of Kazgaroth
- The Horn of Kazgaroth
- Koveras' Ring of Protection

The script first checks if you have the Golden Pantaloons. If you do, it places a copy of them behind the picture in the Jailkeep Golem room.

Next the script checks if you have any of Drizzt's items and sets a flag to be used when you meet him later in the game.

Then the script imports items from BG1 using the above lists. Anything found in IMPORT01.2DA is given to Illyich. Anything in IMPORT03.2DA is placed in the bookcase in Jon's room. Supposedly, anything in IMPORT02.2DA was to be given to the genie, Malaaq, before the script moves him into the little plane of air, but that isn't being done. Instead he comes stock with a Two-Handed Sword of Chaos +2, regardless of whether you imported or created a new character.

Finally, the script takes all the party's gold and destroys all remaining items, and then the opening cutscene gets underway.

Note that some items were changed in BG2, so although the item files are imported, what the item does and it's description might not be the same. My list shows what you get in BG2.

Obviously, mods can change this behaviour somewhat, which is probably why things like Tomes ended up getting imported too. This info is for the unmodded game.

Offline Qualidor

• Level 1
    • View Profile
BG1 Items in BG2
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 08:26:30 PM »
Why would anyone carry the tomes? They weight about 50 pound each, and they should be used IMMEDIATELY!  :D

Offline Lord Kain

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/12483/
    • Email
BG1 Items in BG2
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 08:36:14 PM »
well if the tomes do carry over you'd keep them to give to BG2 characters,  IN bg1 I'd often give the strength tome to minsc but come BG2 its no longer there.
"Who--who are you?"
"Who? Who is but the form following the function of what... and what I am is a man in a mask."
"I can see that"
"Of course you can. I'm not questioning your powers of observation, I'm merely remarking on the paradox of asking a masked man who he is."

Offline Qualidor

• Level 1
    • View Profile
BG1 Items in BG2
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 11:40:18 PM »
Yes, that *is* irritating. I just edit those stats in BGII with Shadowkeeper.

For instance, I often give the STR tome to Minsc if my protagonist is not a fighter. I often also give the INT to Imoen because my character already has a high enough intelligence, and so on.