Author Topic: Reviews of BTL - Beta  (Read 9099 times)

Offline Moongaze

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Reviews of BTL - Beta
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2005, 03:43:42 AM »
Lol, no idea what you guys are talking about... glad everything's proving to be stable and enjoyable, though. Shows promise for the future.

Offline Isaac

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Reviews of BTL - Beta
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2005, 03:47:21 AM »
i couldn't have said it better
Isaac - Lilly's apprentice in Silliness

Offline Midia Eveill

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Reviews of BTL - Beta
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2005, 10:25:22 AM »
This is just a small something I wanted to tell you about. I was in the troll mound killing stuff and Kova started a talk during combat. It was the how to kill so and so when they show up dialogue. This is also pre-newest version btw, im going to install that now!
I am the Phantom Nagger What Nags at Midnight! Fear me!

Offline Zyraen

• Level 2
    • MSN Messenger - zyraen@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Reviews of BTL - Beta
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2005, 10:20:21 PM »
Note : Deleted Previous Post so this one will be read, modification made to handling bug issues. And an extra line for it.

Dear Open Alpha Players

Feel free to post your Reviews on the Mod as a whole here ;)
For reviews, lol, as a whole on the Mod :)
For specific errors, please PM to me or start a new thread for it in this forum (like how to beat the @#!#X group of enemies)
Hopefully this will be a place I can draw the "favourable comments" from, lol. Alternatively you can also post to What do you like Most about Beyond the Law topic.

Thank you so much for trying the Mod out :) I hope you enjoy it.

Yours Sincerely and Gratefully
Zyraen
SoAVer
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps and redistribution, and more.

Offline Fraylor

• Level 1
    • MSN Messenger - kieran_delaney_57@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - fraylor1@yahoo.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reviews of BTL - Beta
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2005, 07:08:23 AM »
I'm just about to go to spellhold. I have really enjoyed it and have seen no bugs. Congratulations for a very individual mod, I can't wait for the rest of it. Overall, I give it  9.5/10 as I really enjoyed the mod, and I happen to enjoy the genre of the storyline. I also liked the fact that it interlinked several minor and unimportant quests and makes use of previously unused or very little used Nonjoinable NPCs and also areas. The main reason I marked you down is

1. My impatience for the rest and

2. Koya takes the decision of what to do with some NPCs out of your hands. As that could be done so that Koya suggests letting them go, instead of telling them to go without the PCs consent.

edit by Zyraen to make spoiler ambiguous and hence unspoilerish :)

Fraylor: Coward and Proud of it!

First book of my series

Offline Zyraen

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Reviews of BTL - Beta
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2005, 09:32:33 AM »
Any further feedback so far? ^^;'

Comments on Plot (new thread perhaps) and the Nature of the Relationship between Kova and Kiyone, their views and personalities, are *exceptionally* welcome.  :D
SoAVer

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps and redistribution, and more.

Offline Alyth

• MSN Messenger - Alyth@rasalvatore.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MamaAlena
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - AlenaYuy
    • View Profile
Reviews of BTL - Beta
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2005, 09:42:16 PM »
Well, congratulate yourself. You've actually created a decent thief in Kova. I use his other abilites, such as backstab. I don't normally use those abilities, not even in thieves I create myself. He has decent thieving skills, too, unlike the Bioware created thieves. He can be a tad irritating at times, like when he stops dead in his tracks while trying to hide in the shadows, but, then, I don't expect a thief to be completely agreeable. In fact, his tendancy to annoy is one of his more endearing qualities.  That's why I can tolerate Edwin. Kova's just perfect the way he is.

Offline Zyraen

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Reviews of BTL - Beta
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2005, 09:09:51 AM »
Any other reviews? ^^;; please any feedback is appreciated so as to improve. If you don't wish to post publicly please PM me, thanks...
SoAVer

Offline Silk

• Level 1
    • MSN Messenger - a_rose_of_silk@yahoo.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - a_rose_of_silk
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reviews of BTL - Beta
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2005, 02:26:57 AM »
It's fascinating, it's addictive, it's a breath of life for a stale BGII, it's funny in parts, it's confusing in parts (re the infamous "missing inspector"), it's annoying in parts (those who've played BG1 may understand this comment).

It keeps you on your toes watching for someone to attack you ANYWHERE.

It's stable (the only time it hung/looped for me was when I took Kiyone and not Kova into the Keep - I hadn't picked Kova up yet - and Kiyone's comments after TorGal was dead screwed things up).

Save, save and save again - in different spots.  BGII (not BTL) seems to have a mind of it's own and installs differently according to it's whims.  So what is a bug/problem for some doesn't even occur for others.

Play it, it's worth it, seeing interjections where you knew what was going to be said, then finding new comments.  The seaming with the Renal Bloodscalp conversation was absolutely flawless.  I wouldn't have known it was there had I not been on the lookout for it.  It reads just as BioWare would have written it.  In fact, almost all of the conversations/interjections do.

A stunning piece of work.

(Now get to work finishing the rest of it !!!!!!!  :-D  )

~Eagles may soar but weasels do not get sucked into jet engines~

~Alpha and Beta tester for Beyond The Law~

~ Beta Tester for Reaver Kit~

~Some say that our destinies may be read in the stars, that the plans of the gods are revealed to those who but know where to look.  They speak it true but their location is false, for I have seen my destiny shining in your eyes~ (Anomen, from the PPG Flirt Pack)

~Portrait with permission from Rabain of The Black Wyrm Lair~

Offline Silk

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reviews of BTL - Beta
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2005, 07:24:46 PM »
Just a quick question - has anyone tried this mod with a vanilla party (that is, no ShadowKeeper) on core rules?

~Some say that our destinies may be read in the stars, that the plans of the gods are revealed to those who but know where to look.  They speak it true but their location is false, for I have seen my destiny shining in your eyes~ (Anomen, from the PPG Flirt Pack)

Offline Fantasy

• Level 2
    • ICQ Messenger - 199348340
    • View Profile
    • barbie gateste
Reviews of BTL - Beta
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2005, 04:35:53 AM »
Not on core no. But I've played it with a vanilla party on insane. :-D

Those first fights were quite a challenge actually. :D That blasted mage among the thieves had the habit to instantly kill 4-5 party members with a death spell. :eek: :D :D :D Of course the fights have been reduced in difficultly, meaning she's no longer my primary target (seeing as how she isn't there in the first place :P ).

Does that answer your question? :-D
I am.

Perhaps I should not, but that is not for you to decide.

"And yet I walk and talk, even smile..." - Lle caela diolooamin.

Everything and nothing... I wish it wasn't so true.

Narbondel Reborn

Offline Silk

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reviews of BTL - Beta
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2005, 06:23:54 AM »
Sadly, yes it does.

I tried to do it with a vanilla party on core and got to reload so many times, I got angry. Very angry.  And frustrated.  And upset.

Obviously, the whole thing depends on your playing style and mine just doesn't cut the mustard, so to speak.  Trying to keep yourself alive, the one you're romancing alive (otherwise the AI resets and no romance), the one with the Raise Dead spell/s alive .... *sighs*

I tried everything I could think of - using different AI's, different parties, different tactics, potions, wands, spells, etc.  I even (unusual for me) took the AI off and directed the whole lot myself.  I just ran out of healing spells, healing potions, had no gold to improve things and kept dying.  The space bar's worn out and I think I broke a mouse.  (I have a deplorable habit of banging the mouse on the desk when I've had to reload the same fight six times.)

Anyway, I finally broke down and resorted to SK but I'd love to know the trick for beating it without SK.  I did beat SoA with a vanilla party before I knew of mods and SK but never ToB, Melissan got me every time, even when I lowered the difficulty. *sighs again and goes to bed*

Offline Fantasy

• Level 2
    • ICQ Messenger - 199348340
    • View Profile
    • barbie gateste
Reviews of BTL - Beta
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2005, 08:52:51 AM »
*realises she's about to go very off topic*

Hm, perhaps it's better if we move it to another topic.

*points to the new topic she made about fight tactics* ;-)

BTW: As far as I know the death of your romance won't stop the romance (as long as you bring them back of course). Unless you mean permanent death of course. :-)

BTW2: Melissan is a lot of trouble. I know it gets better with practice, but I've never liked ToB so I only tried once (the end fight that is). I know that's not how it's supposed to be... but that doesn't bother me at all. :P
I am.

Perhaps I should not, but that is not for you to decide.

"And yet I walk and talk, even smile..." - Lle caela diolooamin.

Everything and nothing... I wish it wasn't so true.

Narbondel Reborn

Offline Silk

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reviews of BTL - Beta
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2005, 04:13:06 AM »
For those who are considering playing the Alpha version of this mod, I can only give you two words - PLAY IT.

A few (well, quite a few) comments follow:

It's stable, bug free and immensely interesting, insightful (is that a word?) and entertaining.  It's also written in English English not American English, so get used to that.  It makes you think, it makes you laugh and if you're actually "roleplaying" BG2 it may make you angry and it may make even good aligned players start to think about revenge on a certain person (other than Irenicus).  While you get two NPC's who can't be separated, the mod makes up for that by answering a few questions that were unanswered in the standard SoA and giving you two very versatile and well balanced NPC's.  You won't look at BG2 the same way again, trust me on that one. :P

The storyline is consistent, the characterisation well thought out, well designed and excellently written and some of the conversations are very informative, although you may have to look closely to see what they're actually saying.  For those who like combat, it's a dream come true (those extra XP's come in handy :-D and those of us who aren't tacticians are going to learn fast.  I know I did. :P

The NPC's will banter with practically anyone you have in the party (try switching NPC's in and out to get all the banters).  Although Kova mainly talks to male NPC's and Kiyone to female ones, there are exceptions (and banters for a very few NPC's aren't written yet).  These banters show you more about both Kiyone and Kova AND the particular NPC they're talking to.  Those I found particularly interesting were Kova/Minsc, Kova/Yoshimo, Kiyone/Mazzy.  By the way, the best way to see all the comments/interjections/banters is to cheat a little to begin with and SK your reputation up to 13 to get Kiyone as soon as you've talked to Gaelan.  Then go and pick up Kova.  There are comments for practically every quest in SoA.  The serious banters are interspersed with comic ones, so the flow continues throughout without being entirely serious.  There are a few PC banters but the majority don't involve the PC, so there's no hand-holding these two NPC's throughout the game.

While you know you're playing a mod, I found it fitted seamlessly into BG2, so much so that I would have assumed a lot of it had been written by Bioware themselves.  Try reading some of Renal and Gaelan's comments to see if you can spot the difference.

The Alpha release (if I recall correctly) takes you to the beginning of the Underdark.  (Some of us have more than that so it's hard for me to remember.)  That means you can play the majority of SoA with these two fascinating NPC's and their quest to find evidence to acquit Kova.

Downsides?  For me there were none, although to some degree, I do agree with Fraylor when he says the NPC's take decisions out of your hands (hey, who's leading this group, anyway?) but they are few and most players would have taken the same path.  Yes, it's not finished yet, so you can't play the whole thing right now but you CAN play a lot of it.

Overall, I'd give the mod 9.9/10 (I can't say 10/10 or you'd think Zyraen was paying me. :P )  But seriously, it is one of the best mods I've ever played.  As a tester, I've played it through about four times now and I've enjoyed it every time.  I've also seen things on playthrough that I didn't see the first time, so keep your eyes open.

Oh, one tip - do the Thieve's Guild quest as soon as you can.

Offline Zyraen

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Reviews of BTL - Beta
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2005, 09:14:57 AM »
:shock: Gee thanks.. appreciate that a lot. Thank you, really ^^;;;; I'm honored...
SoAVer