Author Topic: TeamBG Interviews  (Read 4504 times)

Offline Solaufein

• Lord of the Realms
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
  • The night is dark and full of terrors...
    • ICQ Messenger - 251194643
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - gscott7833
    • View Profile
    • http://teambg.net
TeamBG Interviews
« on: June 08, 2007, 05:05:37 AM »

The Darkest Day interview with Minto. April, 2001
Written by: Kuiriel

Right, this is the second in my series of interviews on up and coming MODs and Utilities. If you have a MOD or something else in development for an IE game, let me know! Contact me at kuiriel@teambg.org and chances are I'll interview you.

The Darkest Day happens to be one of the BG2 MODs thats been longest in development. Therefore it is also probably the one closest to completion.. Do you want to know what it's about? When it's due? What it adds? Read on and find out - and we've got an extra special treat this time. I managed to get CoM to give me two screenshots showing off some of their animations and effects!

Kuiriel: So, for those of us who don't know who the CoM are and what you're working on, let us know..

Minto: CoM is just the name for the team, aka the Council of Mystra. I guess we felt that to have a name kinda gave you an aspect of importance and the team would like to be refered to as CoM, as opposed to "..those mod guys". We have been working on a large MOD for Baldur's Gate 2 that will easily match the TeamBG effort with Dark Side of the Sword Coast, and should make a worthwhile extension to the already quality game.

Kuiriel: ..I've heard rumors of reshuffling of power in CoM.. can you tell me more, and about how it's affected the creation of the MOD?

Minto: Well the previous head guy has been unable to commit to the team which has halted progress. In order to make this work, other members of the team have taken his place in compiling the expansion. This might affect what was planned as becoming familiar with others work is tough - but we'll manage.

Kuiriel: Right, the players grow impatient. How does your MOD fit into the BG2 scene? What can you tell us of the storyline?

Minto: The main plot begins late in the game by choice, before you go to the Elven Citadel. This involves elves and their settlements a lot, along with a greater force of evil that has come to Faerun and is corrupting the land. From here the new story will be easy to find and will represent the bulk of the addon. But other things happen early on in the game, like small quests to accomplish, NPCs and so on - also, new strongholds are going to be available.

Kuiriel: What does it add on? I've heard a lot about possible new areas, monsters, over fifty kits, etc.

Minto: As for what we added, well just about everything; You can expect 100 - 150+ new weapons easily, 120 spells, 100+ innate abilities, 75 kits and 8+ npc's with detailed involvment. It also adds new areas using other IE graphics and possibly custom ones. We have many new areas made but to use them still requires a wee bit more. And we have planned to take a few other IE creature animations and bring them in.

Kuiriel: This does sound like a fair bit. How many hours should this add up to in total? And what about the size of the download?

Minto: I would say that all this when done should be easily the length of DSotSC and maybe even double that. I think this alone justifies the potentially large download size which will be anywhere from 60 to 150+ megs.

Kuiriel: For something this large, how long have you & CoM been working on this for?

Minto: Well CoM have been on this for 5 months but many have come and gone. As it happens I am only 1 of the 2 originals that remain, but the new fellas have done their bit to help the process along.

Kuiriel: Out of curiousity, what motivated you to work on this?

Minto: Well.. personally I am doing it because (A) I have the skill to make a mod and (B) I love the Baldur's Gate games. The thought that you can dictate what others do in a game is kinda cool - I think in 5 months I can count on one hand the days where I have not done something for this MOD, so it is kind of a magnetic hobby if you like.

Kuiriel: Will we get to see any previews or demos?

Minto: Demos, no, I doubt it, I gave out some screenshots and other info, but to cook up a demo would just take time away from the overall goal of getting it done and done good, so the final product will be the publics first taste of The Darkest Day.

An example of TDD artist's work.
image from Kazz (The Abyss) - An example of TDD artist's work.

Kuiriel: Will it go into beta-testing? When is it due out?

Minto: As for beta, well, we have a tester but I guess a few might get it prehand. we will be suprised if it has any chronic errors as we have checked it up high and low for perfection. Of course the daft thing is all the tough stuff gets done well and we end up with the odd simple spelling error, hehe.

Kuiriel: Dammit. You guys really like to dodge the question we all want to know.. when is it due out!

Minto: 6-10 weeks..

[Writers Note: Here, Potencius from CoM said "ya, you can never really tell. I hate release dates... just say it'll be done in a year, then when it's released early, everyone will be happy that it didn't take as long as expected.." but I'm pretty sure it won't go over 10 weeks from what I've heard!]

Kuiriel: Finally. Anything you'd like to add?

Minto: Hhmm? Well, all I can say is don't let the potentially massive download turn you off. It's big for a reason but I think you know that already; it'll take time but I can't see anyone who will not appreciate this. I know as I did with DSotSC that it made the game better with it than on its own.

So, The Darkest Day has a crapload of new features. However, the download size may seem dominating to all the 56k modem users out there. I'd say get a better modem, or get a friend to burn the download onto CD and distribute it, at least until we can send out copies of the game on CD by airmail. Still.. by the sound of it, I'd put up with a download speed of a couple of K myself just to get my grubby little hands on this piece of artwork.
My mods:
Dark Horizons
The Undying
Nikita
IWD2 store

Co-contributor:
Dark Side of the Sword Coast BG1 Weidu
Aurils Bane
Encounters
Saerileth
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Offline Solaufein

• Lord of the Realms
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: TeamBG Interviews
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 05:07:35 AM »
MageDuel interview with Ajoc April, 2001

Since TeamBG.org was started up with a major intent being getting us (the fans) to the MODs, we‚??re planning on releasing a few tidbits of information on these MODs, how promising they look and whether we think they‚??re any good. Of minor note are the interviews we conduct.
;]~

Many a DSotSC & BG enthusiast has heard of the rumors of a MOD in development known as MageDuel. So I went and got some information on it. Simple really. I asked Ajoc, one of the brains behind the brawn of MageDuel to tell us a little about his project, what to expect from it and when it‚??s due. A major extract of our conversation follows.

Kuiriel: The obvious question. What is MageDuel?

Ajoc: Well, MageDuel is going to be a small multiplayer based MOD, in which you play as a pre-made mage, who has the special ability to summon an army of his race. The level 1 spell summons 10 simple creatures (skulls, zombies, elven scouts etc), while the level 9 spells summons one amazing creature (like a lich or an Avatar etc). With your creatures summoned, you do battle with another mages army, the aim being to kill the other mage before his minions get you. There will be six starter mages: Skeletal, Cadaverous, Daemonic, Elven, Holy and Beast, each with [their own] pros and cons.

MageDuel is basically aiming to be a fun new way to play Multiplayer, a fair way for guilds to settle disputes, and available to anyone who has an internet connection.

Kuiriel: So you're saying that you think this could become as popular as Counter-Strike - especially considering the guild-wars..

Ajoc: Well, I never actually said that, people said it to me, but if we iron out every problem, make the whole thing balanced and people take to it, it *could* be as popular as Counter-Strike, I suppose. But I'd be happy if there were just a small group of 50 people who used it, [it] doesn't have to be every person who plays multiplayer.

I do understand too, [however, that] this will not be everyone‚??s cup of fish; some people have slagged me off for ruining a "role-playing" game, but to me the engine is very well suited to such combat based mini games...

Kuiriel: How would players progress in power? How would you make sure that PKs didn‚??t dominate the scene?

Ajoc: Well, PKs won't pose too much of a threat, as if it's a MageDuel room then people will only allow MageDuel characters. Of course, that‚??s not going to stop someone from editing an "official" MageDuel character into an evil mutant mage, but if that‚??s what they want to do, there is nothing I can do to stop them.

As for player progression, there won't be any, unless people choose to play single player with a mage. It would ruin the specially organized spell-book the mages have been given if they level up, as the number of spells per level goes all wrong:
3 level 1
3 level 2
3 level 3
2 level 4
2 level 5
2 level 6
1 level 7
1 level 8
1 level 9

As soon as a player levels their mage up, the whole thing would get screwed. For that reason, none of the creatures in MageDuel will give XP.

Kuiriel: How many kits and races would the player be able to choose from?

Ajoc: Kits and Races?

I don't believe personally that kits are such a good idea in a MOD, as they clash with any other MOD very badly. If they were less trouble causing, I would have looked into making a "Skeletal Mage" kit and so on. As for races, the 6 pre-made Mages will be available, plus others that [will be] made after the MageDuel release, as Add-On.

Kuiriel: So, what's going to keep people coming back for more? Where will the variation be? Will the player progress then to get more powerful spells and the like?

Ajoc: Well, as I said earlier, there will be no leveling up, as it would screw things up. We do plan, however, if MageDuel catches on, to release Arenas, new Mages, new ways to play (Capture the Skull/Flag/Sctoll [sec] anyone?) and patches, to keep it interesting.

I do understand that it could all become pretty dull if it was just the same 6 Mages.

Kuiriel: Would you have different spells in order? Would you be creating new animations?

Ajoc: New animations, I am sorry to say is no [sec]. I would have liked to, but I don't think anyone [at the moment] has the resources and skills to do something like that.

There will be I guess around 50-70 spells, all the summoning spells, the creature Mage spells (creatures you summon who can cast magic) and other spells. All the creatures summoned are new, even if they have the same name and avatar as one in the game; they are completely new and edited to fit into MageDuel.

Kuiriel: Ah. What are the special abilities of the various mages - and tell us a little about the spell casting abilities of the summoned.

Ajoc:
Skeletal Mage: Summons skeletons, ranging from skulls, to bone golems, to liches.
Beast Mage: Summons all your typical monsters, wolves, ogres and the like. They are low in HP, but summon more to overrun your opponents.
Zombie Mage: Average race, vampires included.
Holy Mage: Not many creatures, but casts spells to support his creatures.
Daemonic Mage: Slow to summon, very powerful.
Elven Mage: Fast, archer type creatures.

Each Mage has a couple of creatures that can cast spells. The Beast Mage for example has a Shaman, who will cast various hostile spells. The Skeletal Mage summons a Skeleton Mage with a few spells, and a powerful Lich at level 9, who will have spells that unsummon enemy creatures. These extra spell casters will mean that you don't have to risk putting your main mage into direct danger to non-summoning spells.

Kuiriel: Just how big would this end up being, size-wise?

Ajoc: In size, MageDuel will be very small. After all, it's only spells, creatures, a few items and scripts.

I do intend to keep it this way, so [that] the add-ons like Areas and Sounds will be separate downloads, just to make MageDuel accessible to everyone. I do however recommend downloading every Add-On, as otherwise you will encounter problems if people don't have every file the other person has.

Kuiriel: You've stated that you believe it will be growing over time. How do you plan on addressing releasing it as it grows?

Ajoc: Well, MageDuel will hopefully grow as more is added to it. What would be cool [would be] a Druid and Cleric patch, or an Elemental Mage. Or a Shadow Mage, Drow Mage, Forest Mage, Death Mage‚?¶ ‚?¶there are a lot of ideas flying around, however, many of them are too similar to existing ideas.

As for areas, I wasn't planning on putting any MageDuel Arena type areas in until ICM appeared. If ICM is suitable, I will certainly look into it, but at the moment areas are above my ability.

Kuiriel: Onto the darker side. How are you planning on dealing with obvious problems such as slowdown when a horde of summoned ogres does the death dance to our favorite cloud kill spell?

Ajoc: Err, only a handful of spells from BG2 will be used, as you are playing against another player which screws up all the targeting. Spells like Haste and Slow will be a possibility, and many of the non-summoning spells included will be a slight variation on a BG2 spell to make it work better in the MageDuel MOD.

Yes, slowdown is an issue. I have numerous ideas:

Limit the number of summoning spells cast per minute.
Give creatures a timer, so they vanish after a while. The more powerful the creature, the longer it stays.
Put a summoning limit of about 15-20 per player.
And also, make sure users use it sensibly. Just cos they have characters with a lot of summoning power doesn't mean [that] they have to stretch their game to the limit...

Kuiriel: How will you get the monsters to be hostile to one character and its' summoned creatures, and not the summoner and their creatures?

Ajoc: As for the hostile thing, Potencius is working on scripts that mean player ones creatures will attack player 2,3,4,5 and 6's upon site etc. Potencius also plans to include hotkeys in his scripts, to tell all creatures to attack a certain player, or all creatures to defend you, which will be cool.

Kuiriel: Ah. Well, what about the famous hit and run tactic? Will monsters actively roam around looking for their prey or be fully controllable by their summoner?

Ajoc: Yes monsters will be fully controllable. You will have to follow them about, as you can't share their sight, so no sending monsters off. Although you could [try] using hotkeys.

There are two ideas on how to play, [there is] no idea which is best:

Close quarters, small arena quick fight, all happens in a short space of time, spells flying everywhere. Open, like in a large part of a city or forest, where you have to search out your enemy and ambush them.

Another idea I have had is for "Wild" characters. These could be mages, but all they do is interfere, by summoning some hostile creatures, or hacking up your prize Lich. :P

Kuiriel: That sounds like a gnomishly wonderful idea. Now, the question we're all itching to ask. Are you planning on letting the public beta-test it? How long until we see this out?

Ajoc: The public will do all the testing really, as there is no way we can test out every situation. We will get them to join a mailing list before they download, and they will report to a special board to post unbalanced spells and creatures, and bugs. We decided this was best a while back, cos really MageDuel can never be totally balanced.

Ajoc: Any more questions?

Kuiriel: Oi. You missed the biggie. When do you think it'll be out to the public for beta testing?

Ajoc: I think that you can expect it out for public beta test in about 4 - 6 weeks, not sure. All the members of the team are at different levels of completion on their Mages, and Potencius will need sometime at the end to wrap this up in scripts.

Kuiriel: Thanks for your time. Anything you'd like to add to say to the future MageDuel enthusiast?

Ajoc: I have thought about new in-game music as a separate idea, as some very active music would certainly bring the fights more alive, but this is certainly not a priority.

As always, I'd like to thank TeamBG, for providing tools, Ken (for his inspiration on the Sword Coast Death-match), all those who intend to host MageDuel, Kuiriel for the interview, my Team, and everyone out there that is looking forward to MageDuels‚?? release!

I look forward to the gnomish lich most of all, since as it doesn‚??t seem like there is any security really planned on preventing the hacking of character types to change a peace-loving Daemonic Mage to something horrifying like the afore mentioned, it‚??ll be fun doing. Slow-down may be an issue, but it is unlikely from what I‚??ve heard of pre-alpha stage tests. Ping is always a factor of sorts. Aside from that or should the problems be resolved, it‚??ll be great fun and games until the gnome pokes out someone‚??s eye.

Kuiriel
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 01:56:23 PM by CoM_Solaufein »
My mods:
Dark Horizons
The Undying
Nikita
IWD2 store

Co-contributor:
Aurils Bane
Encounters
Saerileth

Offline Solaufein

• Lord of the Realms
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 05:45:18 AM »
Interview with ToddTeamBG
  Thursday, September 6, 2001

Interview with ToddTeamBG

Originally written by: Kuiriel
Edited by Deano99 and Kuiriel

ToddTeamBG, formerly known as GM aka TL (at the time of this interview), is now a key member of the TeamBG community, playing a vital role in the making of utilities used widely by IE editors. Today, TeamBG.org is giving you the chance to see what is inside the mind of one of the major influences within TeamBG. Please take note that this is quite old, taken in early June and will be updated in the near future. The latest utility version is IEEP is v39. To get more info and download IEES, visit here. This is all you'll need to play MODs or install custom items/kits etc that come out. If you're more into the editing, the latter half of this interview will interest you more.. to find out more on IEEP, visit here but bear in mind that to download this you must pass a test on TeamBG policy.

Kuiriel : For those of us who don't know who you are and what you've done for the TeamBG community, tell us a little about yourself and what you've done.

Todd: My name is Todd, and I've had various nicks throughout my time working on infinity engine customization. I started out in it as Gustov Montessi as that was my internet nick that I used at the time and what people knew me as. Later on I changed to TL as I was making a change with things that correlated to changes in my real life and I like using this better as it is my initials... so you'll see references probably to either of those three names. I have made the following programs for the editing community: Spell Maker, Item Maker, Store Maker, Infinity Add-On Patcher, Dialog.tlk Editor, Dialog Fixer, Mass TBG Converter, Infinity Engine Decompressor, and NPC TBG Maker. Or at least, that's all I remember off the top of my head. Most of them are now in one package called the Infinity Engine Editor Pro (IEEP for short).

Kuiriel: So what recent developments have you seen?
Todd: Well with the release of each new game using the Infinity Engine it has been a matter of learning more of what the formats mean and can do as there is more files to examine and pick apart. Also there is always the process of adding in the new information that is involved with each game so that others can benifit from the information that is discovered by others. I also try to update and include requests from people about what's wrong with this program, or why isn't there something to edit this, etc. I have a nice long list of things people have requested that I try to accommodate when I can fit it into my schedule. The newest thing I have done is make the NPC TBG Maker, which helps in adding new NPCs to the games of BG1, BG2, and IWD. Also, updates to some older programs are either done or being worked on... like the BAMC Decompressor was updated and extended to become the Infinity Engine Decompressor (IED) which will decompress BAMC, BIFC, and CBF files. Future updates that are in the works like this that I will mention is the Mass Exporter, which is being updated with new information to export more things as they are known now.

Kuiriel: What exactly motivated you to do all this? What path have you walked?

Todd: Now as for why I have done all this.. I'll begin at the beginning. Well, I started out just bouncing around the boards seeing about the customizations present and attempting to make some items. Needless to say it wasn't a very good attempt and I always had problems in hex editing as I was new to it and kept getting things mixed up and so modifying the wrong parts. So I thought, "Hey, if I'm having trouble I'm sure alot of others are as well" so I decided to try to make a program to simplify things. The first one I did was really nothing more than merely a glorified hex editor specifically for items as it merely read the file and showed the bytes on the screen with a little label below each section saying what it was. This program was slow and clunky and not user friendly by any means of the word... and before I even had it finished enough that it would work totally right someone came out with an item editor, so I killed my prog. But the experience was a good lesson for me and I used it along with the idea of trying to make it MUCH more user-friendly and began the start of the programs you see out there today by me. My motivation is basically as follows:

* To help in my learning of programming itself.
    * To make something useful that others will be able to use (after all you could have the secret of life but if you can't present it to people in a way they can use and work with easily it won't have much impact or make much difference)
    * To help others in realizing their creativeness in the IE games themselves (as I would like to do with my own creativeness about things).

Kuiriel: Could you give us a little information on each of your utilities?

Todd:

Infinity Engine Decompressor (IED v0.2.0) - Decompresses BAMC, BIFC, or CBF files to their uncompressed counterparts. It decompresses all the files in a directory at one time so you enter the parameters of the full path to the directory containing the files to decompress, the full path to the directory you want the decompressed files to be put into, and you select which type of file to decompress.

Infinity Engine TBG Mass Converter (v0.2.1) - This will convert in mass a directory of item, spells, dialogs, or creatures to the TBGv3 format. This program requires the entering of the parameters of the full path to the directory containing the files to be converted, the full path to the directory to put the converted files into, the full path to the directory containing the dialog.tlk file that these files are from (i.e. full path to the game directory the files are for), the selection of which file type to convert (either which specific one of all of the types), and the choice of which Infinity Engine Game the TBG files made will be for. NOTE: These outputs do not contain all the information really needed for those specific files as more information has been learned since it was made and as such it is being updated right now to accommidate the new information, but a date for release is not yet set.

Spell Maker (v1.3.0) - This is a program that allows editing of spell files (extension of .spl) for the Infinity Engine games. All editing is done either through a simple text box where you enter the information you want there (like numbers or letters) or drop down menus where you can select from the possible known values for that field or enter your own value to put there. Also this program will export spell files only to the TBGv4 format, Import TBGv4 spell files only, and make an item to use in the game to make your new spell learnable by players (this is a scroll for wizards, a prayer candle for priests, or a potion for innate abilities). This program also allows copying and pasting of Extension Headers or Effects to make editing easier. Editing of all of the following are in this program for each spell: spell type (wizard, priest, innate, etc.), spell school (invocation, necromancy, etc.), spell level (1, 2, etc.), spell name, spell description, icons shown for the spell (memorization and spellbook), completion sound when spell is cast, target of the spell (one target, area, etc.), casting time, range of the spell, the graphics seen rom the caster to the target, the attributes of the spell (outdoor only), and the actual effects of the spell itself (like fire damage, haste, etc.). This program allows editing of the following Unknown values associated with spell files: Effect Unknown values only.

Item Maker (v1.2.0) - This is a program that allows editing of item files (extension of .itm) for the Infinity Engine games. All editing is done either through a simple text box where you enter the information you want there (like numbers or letters) or drop down menus where you can select from the possible known values for that field or enter your own value to put there. Also this program will export item files only to the TBGv4 format and Import TBGv4 item files only. This program also allows copying and pasting of Extension Headers or Effects to make editing easier. Editing of all of the following are in this program for each item: base price, icons for the item in the game (inventory, ground, description picture, and item use), destroyed file to use when item breaks, maximum stack size of item, lore need to identify item, enchanted to hit value (i.e. what magical plus the item is considered for which creatures it can hit), proficiency require for item (this is only needed for weapons in BG2), item type (which is the category the item is like a book, ring, belt, etc.), the paper doll graphic the item uses (this is how it modifies the image representation of the individual using the item like a helmet, armor, sword, etc.), the attributes of the item (made of silver, two-handed, droppable, cursed, magical, bow, made of cold-iron, conversable, and minimum requirements in ability scores to use it), the usability of it (i.e. which class, race, nd alignments can use the item), the item's weight, the name and description shown for the item when identified and unidentified, the attack type of the item (melee, ranged, magical, etc.), the location to use the item (weapon slot, in the item use slot, etc.), the target type of the item (one target, area, etc.), the damage type done by the item (slashing, piercing, etc.), the ammunition used by the item (arrows, bullets, etc.), the speed factor of the item, the attack range of the item, the THAC0 bonus the item gives, the number of charges the item has and whether it can be used that many per day (the per day only applies to IWD and BG2), the damage the item does, if the item allows the Strength bonus with damage, if you have to identify the item to use it, if the item is a specific ranged weapon or ammunition (crossbow, bolt, bow, arrow, or miscellanous missile), the animation used by the item for attacking, the graphics used by the item between the item and the target, and the actual effects the item has (like fire damage, haste, etc.). This program allows editing of the following Unknown values associated with item files: Effect Unknown values only.

Store Maker (v0.2.0) - This is a program that allows editing of store files (extension of .sto) for the Infinity Engine games. All editing is done either through a simple text box where you enter the information you want there (like numbers or letters) or drop down menus where you can select from the possible known values for that field or enter your own value to put there. Also this program will export store files only to the TBGv4 format and Import TBGv4 store files only. This program also allows copying and pasting of Extension Headers or Effects to make editing easier. Editing of all of the following are in this program for each store: name, the type of store it is (tavern, temple, etc.), the percent markdown to items the PCs sell there, the percent markup of items sold by the store itself, the file containing the rumors told when buying drinks, the cost and availibility of the four room types, the specific items sold here along with their attributes (number in stock, charges, is it identified, etc.), the item types the store will buy (books, belts, rings, etc.), the drinks sold along with their attributes (name of drink, cost of drink, etc.), the cures sold along with their attributes (spell file of cure, cost of cure), and the stores attributes (PCs can buy items, PCs can sell items, the store identifies items, cures are sold, PCs can steal items, PCs can donate money, drinks are sold, will buy fenced goods). This program allows editing of the following Unknown values associated with store files: Effect Unknown values only.all Unknown values associated with the store files.

Infinity Engine NPC TBG Maker (v0.1.0) - This program allows making of a TBGNv1 file which is used to add new NPC information to the default files of an Infinity Engine game needed when a game is began to have the NPC present in the game. The information needed by the program is merely the creature file (extension .cre) of the NPC, the starting area file (extension .are) the NPC is to initially be in, and the X and Y coordinates inside this area where the PC is specifically located at. From this information it will generate the TBGNv1 file which when imported into an Infinity Engine game will allow the NPC to show up properly. Currently this program only supports BG1, IWD, and BG2. NOTE: This program and the file made by it does not actually contain the creature file itself but just the information needed to make that file referenced in the game itself. Without the creature file present in the game override folder or in one of the games biff files, the game will crash when attempting to start a new game.

Infinity Add-On Patcher (v1.2.0) - This program allows the importation of all TBG files or IAP files. Simply select the file to import and it will import it into the proper game based on what the TBG/IAP says it should be or in rare cases which game is set before entering this program. TBG files consist of merely a single file and the text references the file uses. When a TBG file is imported it merely writes the appropriate text(s) to the dialog.tlk for the specific game and then updates the file these are for with references to the newly added texts. All TBG files go into the Override folder of the game. IAP files consist of two types of files: TBG files and Other files which can go into any directory of the specific game. The TBG files are import as mentioned above, and the Other files are merely placed into the proper directory as specified by the IAP.

Infinity Add-On Patcher Pro (v1.2.0) - This program allows the importation of all TBG files or IAP files. Simply select the file to import and it will import it into the proper game based on what the TBG/IAP says it should be or in rare cases which game is set before entering this program. TBG files consist of merely a single file and the text references the file uses. When a TBG file is imported it merely writes the appropriate text(s) to the dialog.tlk for the specific game and then updates the file these are for with references to the newly added texts. All TBG files go into the Override folder of the game. IAP files consist of two types of files: TBG files and Other files which can go into any directory of the specific game. The TBG files are import as mentioned above, and the Other files are merely placed into the proper directory as specified by the IAP. Also this program allows the creation of IAP files themselves where it can be selected with TBG file(s) are inside the IAP and which Other file(s) are inside it along with their directory to be installed into.

Dialog Fixer (v1.1.0) - This program will analyze the dialog.tlk file to see if it has any recognizable problems to it that may cause the game or an editing utility to not work right. This includes the file having a false number of how many references are in it, where the text itself begins in the file, and that the last reference actually refers to the end of the file. Now the last part about the end of the file is only import if you are using some OLDER editing tools which reference this value to figure out where to add the new information at. An improper number of references in the file can cause texts of newly added customizations to not show properly. If the beginning of the text is referenced wrong then ALL the text show in the game itself will be messed up and jumbled around. If there is any of the above problems you can then click a Fix Dialog.tlk button and it will automatically fix these errors for you.

Dialog.tlk Editor (v0.1.0) - This program allows reading, writing, and searching of the dialog.tlk file. You can read specific references in the dialog.tlk file, write new references to the dialog.tlk file, or search the dialog.tlk file for the references with specific case sensative words of your choice. This program DOES NOT allow editing a specific reference and rewritting that reference with the changes, but only the addition of NEW references. With each reference all the information is editable (i.e. the sound file associated with the reference, the pitch variance of this file, the volume variance of this file, and whether to parse the text of this reference for BG2 only).

Infinity Engine Editor Standard (IEES v1.0.2 Build 12) - This is a compilation of the Dialog Fixer and Infinity Add-On Patcher programs and is designed to be used by people only wanting to simply import things into their game and not edit anything themselves.

Infinity Engine Editor Pro (IEEP v1.0.7 Build 26) - this is a compilation of the Spell Maker, Item Maker, Store Maker, Infinity Add-On Patcher Pro, Dialog Fixer, Dialog.tlk Editor, and NPC TBG Maker programs and is designed to be used by those people wanting to edit their games and make new things or edit existing ones to their needs.

IEES is essential for custom item installation, so if you don't have it, get it. A new interview with Todd on the latest should be up within a week or two.
My mods:
Dark Horizons
The Undying
Nikita
IWD2 store

Co-contributor:
Aurils Bane
Encounters
Saerileth

Offline Solaufein

• Lord of the Realms
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 04:19:59 AM »
#October, 2001
 The Darkest Day: Prerelease interview! - by Kuiriel

Written by: Kuiriel

The Darkest Day was the second MOD interview I conducted when I first joined TeamBG as a contributor. Now, over half a year later, it is practically completed. It is currently in Beta2 stages, and due out in about a week, so I'm pleased Potencius was able to spare a few moments for an interview. For those of you who don't know what TDD is or want to know more, just read on and all will be revealed in its course. Unfortunately I wasn't feeling quite myself, and I'm worried that it may not be as superb as I'd like it to be ;)

Kuiriel: First off, what everyone wants to know. When will The Darkest Day be out?

Potencius: Well, it really depends on how many bugs are in beta 2. So far it's been very little which is very good for the release date. I'm expecting something around October 14 or 15..

Kuiriel: TDD is an Unofficial Mod to Baldur's Gate: SoA. At this stage, it adds in a huge number of new quests, items, spells, NPCs, and areas to the game. The list of features is rather long, and includes:

9 New and returning NPCs (from BG1)
180+ new items
170+ new spells
39+ new creatures
75 kits
40 Minor Quests, 5 Major and 1 MegaQuest.
Over 30 hours estimated MINIMUM of added gameplay.

Kuiriel: What had you started off with as your plan, and how much of that has been cut down / added on to?

Potencius: Plan? Who had one of those? Well, I think the biggest thing that we cut out of our plan was very in-depth NPC interactions, but this may be added to or patched in the future. The original TDD was only supposed to add a few NPCs, but Minto and I went way beyond with the quests and everything.

Kuiriel: Whats the story behind The Darkest Day?

Potencius: There's really a lot of stories driving the Darkest Day. Most of the quests are very different each other, but also tie in or hint at the main Darkest Day quest.

Kuiriel: You can tell me more than that... tell me about the MegaQuest.

Potencius: The mega quest deals with a a certain assassin, Artemis Entreri, and another famous drow... Entreri is based in the new town of Riatavin and is basically messing with trade in Athkatla. It affects the main characters and they are branded as the bad guys. The whole quest comes out to about 6 minor quests combined into 1. It takes you from Riatavin to a new forest area, to the Underdark, to a banshee's lair, then back to the Umar Hills, all the while chasing Artemis Entreri.

Kuiriel: What about the major and side quests?

Potencius: The Purskal quest takes place in village of mining half-orcs. Those that enter the mine tend to come out aged almost to death and die soon after. There is obviously some extraordinary event going on in there, and it's the party's job to figure out what it is and destroy it. Another is the Orgoth's tower quest which bases out of Riatavin. It is the tower of an old, imprisoned, evil mage who is supposed to be making his return very soon. Upon his return, he brings a bunch of banished demons with him who proceed to attack Riatavin. A battle of good vs. evil magic ensues.

Kuiriel: Riatavin... where is that? Have you added new icons to the SoA map? What area graphics did you use for the town?

Potencius: Riatavin is a new town we added to the world map to the east of the existing areas. We used the Beregost areas and mixed other areas from IWD with it.

Kuiriel: How many new areas have you got in TDD? It doesn't say on the features page, and some careless people on other forums are spreading rumors that there are none!

Potencius: There are around 175 new areas in the Darkest Day, most with graphics ported over from other games, and all in the main Darkest Day quest have new graphics.

Kuiriel: 175 new areas.. how many were created anew for the TDD quest? Who made them? How'd you do it?
Potencius: There's 7 new areas for the TDD quest, 1 created totally by me (by copying and pasting. This was my first new area), another created totally by Karel (3DSMAX), and the other 5 by a combination of Karel and I using 3DSMAx

Kuiriel: I remember reading something on the TDD forums about one of the 9 NPCs being changed due to popular demand or something of the sort? Tell me about them. Will there be any NPC subquests?

Potencius: Yes, Shar-teel had been a Kensai. The members of the forums thought she didn't have the discipline to be one, so they changed our minds and we made her a Blademaster... The other NPCs are mostly returning NPCs such as Xzar, Montaron, and Yeslick... with 3 totally new ones, Robillard (mage), Adario (assassin), and Vesine (aquatic druid). Around half of the NPCs have subquests - This is what we needed to cut out a little bit so we got this thing out before December. For example, Adario, the assassin, has subquests which involve helping him assassinate targets. One is a doppleganger, so is kind of hard to find.

Kuiriel: Ooh, kits. If one of your NPCs are using them, it musn't be all that bad. Yes, all 75 of them... why the heck are there that many? What difference do they make in game?

Potencius: Well, the main reason for 75 is pure variety and replay/roleplay value. Do you like stealing stuff, but would rather want to run away from battles? The merchant kit is for you. Do you want to focus on killing Beholders? You can be the Slayer of the Eye kit. Ofcourse, each kit has individual abilities with custom spells that make them unique and allow a different experience each time through the game.

Kuiriel: How does the party get each quest?

Potencius: There are new actors placed in existing SoA areas like the Copper Coronet or Five Flagons inn that will initiate quests. Some will only appear if the party has reached a certian level or done something special.

Kuiriel: I'm curious as to the inspiration behind the stories, and the main quest. Tell me where it started.

Potencius: Well, the inspiration of the stories deals mainly with my idea to have a dark force sucking the life out of Faerun and that its rapidly advancing on Athkatla. Actually, the weather will never be calm throughout the Darkest Day quest. Other quests are pretty much random things. There's one based off of my character asking the party to take care of some mercenaries for him.

Kuiriel: Off of YOUR character? Come again? Is there a little Potencius avatar running around TDD? [A sneaking suspicion descends upon me] Are there any other characters anyone might recognize?

Potencius: Maybe. I've put mine and another that someone might recognize in the Sunlake Inn (a new inn out in the middle of nowhere). Unfortunately, I didn't get all the characters I wanted in there, but I might for the public release.

EDIT: Whaddaya know. I've learnt a little more about the cameos recently. Be wary of drunk squirrels with notepads and a penchant for fencing.. and there should be a few other well known figures in there too.

Kuiriel: So how does it tie in with the SoA quests?

Potencius: It really doesn't tie in with the SoA quests. TDD is pretty much separate from existing quests.

Kuiriel: so how do you manage the SoA vs TDD problem.. like the constraints - the underground, the problem with Irenicus stealing your soul.. so forth..

Potencius: We don't really worry about it. The quests happen mostly above ground and will most likely be played in chapter 2 like the other sidequests. However, the Darkest Day quest takes place AFTER you have beaten the original SoA game.. the entire time you play SoA with TDD installed, everything hints at the final quest.. the one after you've been through Hell (literally).

Kuiriel: These new creatures.. are you reusing older creatures, giving them new colors, or have you made any new creatures?

Potencius: It's a combination of both, really. We have Frost Giants and some other miscellaneous creatures ported from other games. New animations haven't been made - Graphic artists are few and far between, and those that are able are almost never willing to make new creature animations. Plus, the way the game works, it is almost impossible to add new animations.

Kuiriel: You've got a load of new spells and items too.. tell me about some of them.. are these are all balanced?

Potencius: Many of the spells and items are ported over from IWD like the Emotion spells, (don't remember items offhand) so they are pretty powerful, but are balanced. We have taken special care that the custom spells and items ARE balanced, however, and our testers don't seem to have a problem with them.

Kuiriel: What about the rewards - items and experience levels you can get to.. the abilities..?

Potencius: Rewards generally include items and/or experience, though one quest allows you to increase one of your main stats by 1 (like STR, DEX). We've allowed parties to get up to level 50 with special kit abilities when they get there, though they will definitely have to play a lot if they get up that high.

Kuiriel: Currently TDD is only compatible with Shadows of Amn. How far have you got on the Throne of Bhaal compatibility patch?

Potencius: That's right, and it will be made ToB compatible once I'm sure it works fine on SoA. Honestly, I still need to go out and buy ToB to make it compatible. It shouldn't take long, however.

Kuiriel: There aren't any new romances in TDD, are there?

Potencius: Nope, no new romances now, though I might add one or two in a patch. We're looking to make TDD compatible with the romance mods that are going around.

Kuiriel: What has the response from the testers been like?

Potencius: It seems like they love it. They feel like it adds a lot to the game and they are all very impressed. Most even disagreed with the +30 hour time prediction and said it would add 50+.

Kuiriel: What happened with the first beta? What kinds of bugs have you been encountering?

Potencius: The first beta was horrendous. I had to correct close to 400 bugs altogether, and about 10-15 game-crashers. It was all mostly careless mistakes.

Kuiriel: Give me an example of a few of the bugs.. I'm curious.. so are all the others who weren't able to beta test...
Potencius: As soon as you entered the second area of Irenicus's Dungeon (where you meet Yoshimo), a seemingly invisible actor would start a dialog with someone named "Yes, Most excellent work." Then a battle with "Yes, Most Excellent work" and another creature would happen off-screen.    

Kuiriel: Amusing.. how'd you fix that? what caused it?

Potencius: well, it turns out that it was an old PC that wasn't implemented, being recognized by another enemy to start dialog. I really had to mess with the scripts and CRE files to fix that one. Other bugs were things like missing CRE files (about 30 missing actually) which had to be remade, and some others were things like the game crashing to the desktop or freezing the comp when trying to load an area.

Kuiriel: How many hours would you estimate your team put into this MOD? Who makes up your team now? I know now that Council of Mystra are no longer in charge..

Potencius: Wheh... Combined, we must have put in around 1000 or 2000 hours. And the team originally just wasn't Minto and I... there was about 11 people at its height. Nothing was getting done, however, and there was a falling out with much of the team. Minto and I remained to finish the mod and do it our own way. When I have a free day, I usually work for up to 15 or 16 hours a day on the mod.

Kuiriel: What motivated you to work on TDD? You just loved scripting and playing with BG?
Potencius: Well, I'd been editing at TeamBG for about a year when I got involved. I played DSotSC and the attention it got... well, I figured "hey, I can do that." Plus, this is about my favorite thing to do, and I'm a real attention monger.    
Kuiriel: What do you do aside from this - like for a living? Or are you a student? That'd explain the time.. ;)

Potencius: Aside from this? Well, I play guitar and I'm a sophomore [second year] in High School.

Kuiriel: Finally, where would you like to see TDD go? What would you like from PC Magazines and Interplay?

Potencius: I'd eventually like to see TDD really reach the public, get endorsed by the big companies like Interplay and get featured on magazine covers. Minto and I have put so much work into this that we think it deserves some real attention.

Plus it would make a really good addition to my resume. =)

Kuiriel: No kidding..

I really wish I didn't have to put up with my download limit, or I'd have been on the beta myself. The Darkest Day just looks fantastic, and I'm overjoyed that PCGamer and PCZone are offering to put it up on their DVDs and CDs for the Xmas Edition. You can also order it on CD - check out the FAQ at The Darkest Day Website and pop in at the forums if you have any further questions! I'll be having new screenshots of The Darkest Day up on here on a regular basis ;)

[Credit due to Szien for helping out with getting thumbnails done quick, and to all the testers out there getting me better screenshots]
My mods:
Dark Horizons
The Undying
Nikita
IWD2 store

Co-contributor:
Aurils Bane
Encounters
Saerileth

Offline Solaufein

• Lord of the Realms
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 01:12:57 AM »
An interview with  hlidskialf. When I do not know. Found at this site which appears to be in Czech. Since I can't read anything else on that site, I don't know what they are about.

hlidskialf dislikes hockey, but he likes beer ;)

"hlidskialf, proud ale drinking 32 year old Canadian."

Who actually founded TeamBG and when? What was the goal of TeamBG at that time?
The founder was Ken Baker. Ken's been away from the community for the most of the last year or so dealing with real life. He does pop in once in a while to check on things, and of course he's responsible for the webspace we hang out on. He started the community right after the original BG came out, late December '98. He wanted to bring modding to the game, as he too was an old time PnP gamer for AD&D. The distinction then and now to make was that TeamBG is about modding the game, not dueling or player-killing. Taunting and belittling of such people that come to the forum is tradition.

You have mentioned 'dueling' and 'player-killing'. These terms may be not clear for all. What do they mean? Some kind of LAN game?
Dueling is a practice some do in multiplayer mode where they challenge each other with a "My character can kill your character." scenario. Of course they mod the stuffing out of these characters. Player Killing is much the same except it's less a competition as it is someone coming in with all kinds of modifications to their character and killing the players of a multiplayer game for fun. Neither appeals to me, and the TeamBG community has zero tolerance for such modding. Most of those players are wannabe hackers who have "other" issues. (Most involving something to do with finally moving out of their parent's basement or maybe kissing a girl.) These gaming practices are so common that it's extremely difficult for anyone not playing with just friends to play a regular game on the official networks.

How long are you a member of TeamBG?
I've been hanging around TeamBG for 4 years now. I've been moderating the forums for most of that. Adding a TeamBG suffix to my nick would be just cruel to everyone, so we won't go there.

What are the current goals of TeamBG and how do you see the present situation in IE modding scene?
TeamBG's current goals are the same as they used to be. Producing tools and mods and helping others do the same. I'm actually quite excited about the current modding scene. We have more tools than ever before. We understand more about the engine. With these in place we have a lot of people "casually" modding, instead of it being limited to a core elite of social life sacrificers. We are seeing a LOT of mods in the works and even better, being released! There are even TCs looming on the horrizon that will in all likelyhood be completed. Nostalgia plays a great part in keeping these games alive, but that's not just it. They are just good games.

So do you think that the current tools are fully sufficient for a making of "big mods" like TCs?
The tools we have are sufficient, yes. However there is room for improvement and I'm glad to see that a lot of the best tools continue to be updated and evolve with that in mind. Especially DLTCEP, Weidu, and Near Infinity. They are regularily being updated and incorperating modder requests. IETME (The premier map editor we use.) is a great tool, but needs updating and some fixes. Especially with some of the "unknown" bits being figured out since it's coding. Theo the creator is still working on the next release, so there's hope for a better one in the future. The editing area needing the most improvement in my opinion is in the Bam/Graphic department. We have several programs that partially work with them, but there is still difficulty in some modding projects requiring excessive work.

Have you ever tried to contact Bioware for some official support of modding? Do you know the opinion of Bioware about IE modding?
TeamBG has had contact with Bioware in the past, and they've expressed indifference more or less to the modding scene. They obviously realize modding keeps their games alive and thus improve sales. They have shown interest in bugfixes done by the modding community. Some fixes were incorperated into their own patches, and even a cameo in TOB for one major contributer. Ken Baker actually received a special, signed copy of TOB from Bioware as a thank you. With those indications I'd say that they are content with what modders are doing.

What do you think about the future of Infinity engine? In the official scene, IWD2 was probably the last IE game. There are lot of IE mods and large modding community but there are new games as well - especially Neverwinter Nights with an official editing tool. Aren't the new games a powerful competition for IE and IE modding?
Competition? Sure. But they're not replacements. While I agree that IWD2 is likely the last IE engine game, I'd hardly say that IE modding is dying. Actually, many of us would like to see them retire the IE engine and release the source code. Modding would certainly advance at that point! NWN is a different type of game, and I think seriously missed it's target. It just doesn't compare to the look of the prerendered games of the IE engine.

There are projects like Baldur's Gate Trilogy, Icewind Gate, BG1 Tutu. They convert older IE game content into the new versions of Infinity Engine. What is your attitude to these mods?
I LOVE these. I've recently played through a game of BGT and with the new engine it's like a whole new game. It's the best of the new and old together. High tech nostalgia all in one.

What is your opinion about two "main" and well-known TCs of nowadays - DLTC and Tower of Iron Will? They are still in progress (except DLTC demo) but could be these TCs compared with original IE games?
Some people may argue, but I think these TCs can easily exceed the original games. Both are utilizing abilities that the original games SHOULD have had but the designers were either too rushed or lazy or even dim to do so. Area art being the hardest thing to match to the original games in my opinion is not a concern. Looking at what's been done for DLTC and ToIW already matches anything else seen in the IE games originally. These area art guys stagger me. (I've been attempting to make some myself and they're still coming out like a kindergarten crayon project gone horribely awry.) Even recycled areas don't bother me as the fun is all in the story/play content IMO.

There are five full IE games but mods are mainly created for BG2. Is the version of BG2 Infinity engine the best? What about others IE games - IWD, IWD2, PT...? there are just few mods of these games.
The TOB engine is certainly the best. It has the widest range of function and is the easiest to mod. The other games suffer a lack of modding as a result. One, because mods for them are harder and take longer. Two, it's REALLY hard for a modder to code up a project with engine limitations after working with the BG2 engine. That's another reason why projects like BGT and BGTuTu excite me so much. The possibilities! That's really what gets a modder's creative juices going!

How did you start with IE modding? Are you interested in Infinity modding because you've zealoused from the Infinity games or rather from the engine itself?
I got started because I'm an old time AD&D player. The IE games are the closest a cRPG can get to the fun I used to have. RL doesn't give me the opportunity to PnP anymore, so this was the logical step. I used to DM quite a bit and the idea of NOT being able to manipulate my game gets my hackles up. The community and modding process are great fun, so here I am.

What mods were you working on? Are you working on any mod now?
I'm always working on a few things. I've found the best way to keep from getting bored is to have several projects of all different types and sizes on the go at once. Most of the one's I'm involved in are other modder's projects, that I "consult" on. Bascially this means that I come up with ideas and finagle other people into doing the work. heh. I do a lot of testing/bugfixing/writing for the most part, weidu'ize some mods, that kinda thing. Although there may be a project or two of my own residing partially completed on my harddrive. ;)

Can you reveal anything about the projects on your hardrive? ;) ;)
I could, but I'm not going to. I like to avoid the modder's bane of "When is it going to be ready" questions. Suffice to say that at some point I'll share. ;)

What do you think as the oldtime AD&D player about the implementation of AD&D and D&D 3e rules in IE games?
I'm wishing that they hadn't decided to go with 3e rules in the later game(s). I know it's the big thing everyone's into but I consider 3e as hopeless powergaming, and that takes away from the whole experience for me. Yes, yes, the screams of the masses are attempting to shout me down, but all the feats, class combinations, and other bonuses are added onto what was a balanced system in 1st ed AD&D. Bah humbug.

Most of the IE games (and mods as well) take place in Forgotten Realms. What do you thing about it? There are other settings like Planescape, Dark Sun and Ravenloft. Except Glory of Istar and PT: Vengeance, the modders are accurated especially on FR - isn't it a pity?
I agree. Being an oldtimer, I'm quite fond of the Greyhawk setting. Magic isn't quite as infested in that setting. I'd love to see more modders branching out.

You've mentioned Greyhawk. BTW have you tried new CRPG Temple of the Elemental Evil? Have you any information about the modding possibilities of this game?
I'm quite interested in ToEE despite the 3e rules. That mod is/was an old favorite of mine and I'm looking forward to playing it. However, I'm letting their modding community get a head start first. Some habits are hard to break!

What do you recommend for modders-newbies? Which part of the engine is the most adviseable for a start with modding?

Definately best for new modders to start with items and spells. It gives them the basics on how all these files pull together, as well as a logical stepping off point to other modding. There are also a whack of tutorials detailing their creation step by step which is also a bonus.

You are Canadian - are you interested in ice-hockey? ;)
Unfortuantely, do to a double recessive gene, I dislike hockey. In Canada, this is a source of great persecution so I try to keep a low profile during the playoffs. Fortunately, I'm quite fond of beers and ales, thus I'm allowed to stay in the country.

Final question - do you know anything interesting about Czech Republic? ;)
My knowledge of your country is scant. However, I have tried several of your beers in the past. Some things are universal. *lol*

Thanks for the interview and good luck in modding as well as in real life.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 01:15:40 AM by CoM_Solaufein »
My mods:
Dark Horizons
The Undying
Nikita
IWD2 store

Co-contributor:
Aurils Bane
Encounters
Saerileth

Offline Solaufein

• Lord of the Realms
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 02:01:07 PM »
TDD MOD Interview with Ajoc

Well, after a bit of nagging from the one and only Ajoc, i decided to do an article about his up and coming Add-On for The Darkest Day. It turns out that the Darkest Day has been a big success, but it has not stopped there, with the announcement of several smaller mods that hope to build on The Darkest Day's success. One of these is Ajoc's MOD, that has, as of yet been Unnamed. I had a quick chat to him about the MOD, and i found out a few things that might interest you all.

Deano : What is your MOD setting out to achieve?
Ajoc : Well, the reason I decided to make this MOD was mainly to improve my editing skills, and it started turning out well, so I thought I'd make it a small expansion to TDD. I just want it to add a bit more to an already popular MOD, and show people what I can do.

Deano : What skills do you think you have improved then?
Ajoc : Well, simply put, I couldn't script. I can now. I couldn't make area graphics. I can now. I couldn't put areas into the game. I can now (mainly thanks to Theo's excellent IETME). The list goes on, and basically I feel less fake than before, where I posed as some genius editor who could only really do creatures, items and spells consistently.

Deano : So how does your MOD begin?
Ajoc : Well, I avoided changing existing areas in BG2 as much as possible, because it screws things around for compatibility, but basically, you are asked by two people (multiple quest starters) to help this guy get back to his home far away from Athkatla. This of course leads to the party being dragged into something a little more sinister, although I didn't make it out to be the possible end of the world, cos that's overused.

Deano : What type of goodies have you included for all us avid adventurers?
Ajoc : I have received emails, submissions and ideas all over the place, as well as my own ideas. Basically I included balanced items that weren't too boring/complex. There are all sorts of things, which I won't name off hand although one that does spring to mind is the idol of magical insanity. This it causes every creature in the whole area (including the party) to drop what they're doing and cast a random offensive spell, 95% of the time on themselves. Well it's meant to be a joke item.

Deano : How big is this adventure in game terms? How long do you expect us to be playing this?
Ajoc : Well, it's no where near as big as the main TDD quests. I am aiming for a couple of hours play, and the quest does have some tricky fights (unless you cheat or are level 50), and as cheesy as it sounds, I wanted quality not quantity, in the chance to try my skills properly.

Deano : So how big is this download then? Will it be usable by us 56k users like poor old me?
Ajoc : Well ideally, yes. It is 10mb zipped right now, and that won't go beyond 15mb. I intend to make possible multiple IAP downloads for the REALLY internet challenged.

Deano : So how much attention would you like this to get?
Ajoc : Well, ideally I'd like everyone who enjoyed/is enjoying TDD to have a little something extra. I don't want it to be worshipped as the best thing on the net because it's not. I think, honestly, it will get it's fair share of attention, as there is now a market of people who trust downloaded MODs and this is the next thing to come out.

Deano : Anything else you would like to mention?
Ajoc : Also, I'd basically just like to thank everyone who has had a part in the making of this MOD, whether by testing giving ideas, making stuff etc. It's all been very welcome and I hope you enjoy the finished product. Specific thanks goes out to :

* Max and Minto for TDD
    * LimE, for the free area graphics
    * Kai, for an item submission
    * TeamBG, for being the centre of it all
    * KenTeamBG, for starting it all
    * TheoTeamBG, for IETME
    * Oarsome, for being the best tester ever
    * Jaysyn, for several submissions
    * Death, for an item submission
    * Deano, for the adverts

Afterthoughts

Well if this little interview hasn't whet you appetites, then i'll soon have some screenshots available for you to have a look at. In the meanwhile, I would go pester Ajoc to release this mod of his, just so i can play and review it. I am just drooling at the prospect of playing more TDD.
My mods:
Dark Horizons
The Undying
Nikita
IWD2 store

Co-contributor:
Aurils Bane
Encounters
Saerileth