Author Topic: Are they true?  (Read 51281 times)

Offline Neferit

• Level 1
    • ICQ Messenger - 202190281
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sigil.cz
    • Email
Are they true?
« on: March 01, 2007, 12:02:50 PM »
Our English teacher gave us some really strange paper with even more strangelaws in foreign countries and told us that we have to discuss them with our classmates. They're really strange. And I still don't know if they are true or not  :( Here they are:

1. In China, when you use chopsticks you shoouldn't leave them upright in the bowl. It brings bad luck.
(espeacially when you fall asleep on that bowl. ouch!)

2. In Sweden, if you drink and drive, you have to go to prison for six months.
(I didn't quite understand this - if I drink anything, will they send me into prison?)

3. In Argentina, when you got on a train you should shake hands with all the other people in the carriage.
(when you do this, your hands must be really sore, don't they?)

4. In France, you are not allowed to call a pig 'Napoleon'.
(heh, I guess this similar to calling a pig 'Jan Amos Komenský' or 'Tomáš Garigue Masaryk'  ;D /anyone know them?/)

5. In Scotland, boys have to wear a kilt to school.
(do they have to wear underwear? ;D I've heard that the true Scottish men don't wear it  ???)

6. In Brazil, you should never make the 'OK' sign with your thumb. It's very rude.

7. In Germany, every office must have a view of the sky.

8. In the Middle East, you shouldn't admire anything in your hosts' home. They will feel that they have to give it to you.

9. In Singapore, you mustn't eat chewing-gum. It's against the law.
(quite useful law; they don't have to unstick all that used bubble gum from the side-walks)

10. In India, you shouldn't thank your hosts at the end of the meal. It is an insult.

11. In Japan, women mustn't wear trousers to the work.

12. In the UK, parent's don't have to send their children to school. They can teach them at home if they prefer.
(well, although I don't like early rising because of school, I prefer teaching by teacher than teaching by my mother  :D)

13. In Russia, men should take off their gloves to shake somebody's hand.
(can be problem if you're right in the Siberia)

14. In Iceland, you mustn't take dogs into the city centre.
(uhm, there can live dogs? ::))

15. In Thailand, you shouldn't touch a person's head (even of a child). The head is sacred.

16. In Australia, women mustn't sit on the top of a bus, only downstairs.

17. In Samoa, it is against the law for a man to forget his wife's birthday.

18. In Switzerland, you aren't allowed to clean your car or cut the grass on a Sunday.

19. In the USA, you shouldn't tip taxi drivers. It is considered an insult.

20. In Italy, if you give flowers you should give them in odd numbers, e.g. 1, 3, 5, 7, or 9. It is bad luck to give, for example, two flowers.

Well, I know that number 4 and 7 are true. But the others? Anyone knows the right answer?
A cos čekal, krevety?

Bang! Bang! Vici ste mrtv flaksy!

Chce zdrav rozum? Dm ti svůj, Bůh v, e ho nepouvm!

PLUTO FOREVER!!!

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=23256

Offline Beetle

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Re: Are they true?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 12:13:14 PM »
#19 is definately wrong. In fact, following it could get a person hurt (don't anger the taxi drivers...)
No animals were harmed in the making of this post.

Offline Raven_Song

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 12:19:54 PM »
 I don't think that they are all necessarily laws ...

1. Sounds more like a cultural superstition

2. "Drink" and drive - refers not driving after consuming alcohol, so it's probably true.

5. I doubt it, it's quite cold in Scotland and kilts would not be practicle all of the time

6. That one is true ... I don't know what the gesture means though

12. That's true, although it is more of a choice than law, and one that is not particularly encouraged. The process is also heavily regulated, a parent cannot simply withdraw a child and then not provide alternate means of education.

13. Sounds more like a custom than law.

16. I doubt it, Australia is a rather progressive nation.

20. Again probably more of a cultural superstition than law

Hope this helped.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 12:28:40 PM by Nevar »
Zhaan: I love all living beings. The seek has re-opened my eyes to the wonder of the spirit. I am now going to devote my life to enlightenment.

Offline berelinde

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 12:52:03 PM »
1- More of a faux pas. Related to funeral practices. Also, chopsticks meant for eating should never be made of metal. Cremated remains are handled with metal chopsticks, and then the chopsticks are placed upright in the ash. Probably more of an unpleasant assosciation than a law.

2- No idea, but in the state of New Jersey in the USA, if you are caught driving while under the influence of alcohol, they take away your liscense for 6 months for the first offense, 2 years for the second offense, and 10 years (with a six-month mandatory jail term) for the third offense. If you are caught driving under the influence for the fourth time, I know a second prison term is required, and the license is taken away permanently.

3- No idea. Sounds like a good way to spread germs.

4- I'll name my pig whatever I want, thanks. (Guess I should be glad I don't live in France)

5- If a kilt is part of a school uniform, I suppose the boy would have to wear it, but I've never heard of a school that does. Girls used to have to wear skirts as part of school uniforms, but are now allowed to wear trousers. I can't imagine they'd insist on more formality for the boys. As for what grown men wear under their kilts, tradition dictates that a man wear nothing but a lot of confidence, but polite society prohibits investigation.

6- If I ever go to Brazil, perhaps I should bear this in mind.

7- Wouldn't that be nice. I'm used to cubicle farms.

8- I do not think this custom is confined to the Middle East. It sounds familiar.

9- True, and for the reason you give. People in Singapore take cleanliness very seriously.

10- I'd want to check this one with an Indian coworker before trying it in public.

11- Asian culture is more formal than Western culture, but I'm not sure whether this is a law. I know that some temples in Thailand require women to wear skirts.

12- Probably. Home-schooling is catching on. In the USA, it is common, especially for families that practice extremely conservative religions. It is unusual for home-schooled children to be able to compete in a conventional job market, unfortunately.

13- No idea. I've never been to Russia. I do know that I've never shaken anyone's hand while wearing a glove, but there have been plenty of times that I have offered a smile and a nod, usually with an excuse, instead of a handshake if the weather has been unpleasant enough for me to be wearing gloves. As a woman, I'm not really required to shake hands, though.

14- Lots of areas have prohibitions against dogs. I guess it's easier than requiring the owners to clean up after them. :-\

15- This is not the first time I have heard this.

16- I can't imagine that a nation as modern as Australia would have such a conservative law on the books, nor can I imagine outspoken Australian women putting up with it.

17- Really? I can't imagine that it would be possible to criminalize forgetfulness.

18- Many places have laws based on religion. It's possible, if not likely. In one New Jersey county, Bergen, it is illegal to shop on Sundays, so no stores are open. Residents just go to a different county.

19- Americans tend to expect tips for most things. Taxis are expensive, though. Better to take the bus.

20- No idea.

Offline Redrake

• God of Frustration
  • Modders
  • Level 4
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - remildragos
    • View Profile
    • A lawyerish website
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 01:37:39 PM »
1. Dunno
2. Weird one. Probably some mistake in expression.
3. Probably some simple courtesy, nothing to do with customs, especially since trains haven't been around there for so long.
4. That's a lie. Without a doubt a lie. There's no such stupid law in France.
5. Sounds like a lie here too. In some schools it might be mandatory to wear uniforms, but I doubt that's true for all of them.
6. Dunno
7. Never heard of that, but since I never went to Germany can't be sure about it.
8. Smells like a lie too. Middle East is not one big culture, but plenty of them. Is impossible to generalize.
9. Dunno
10. Never heard of this, but it might be true.
11. Dunno
12. Home teaching is done in many countries not just UK. As long as school is not mandatory for kids, such things might exists.
13. True, but it is common courtesy, not just in Russia, but anywhere.
14. Dogs are forbidden in many public places, even parks.
15. Dunno
16. Sounds like another lie. Australia is not a backward country.
17. Dunno
18. I doubt it is forbidden by law, but it might be perceived as immoral.
19. Never heard of that.
20. OK, this one is true, we have the same custom here, but not for reasons of bad luck. It is considered that parity when it comes to flowers is for funerals. You can give to a funeral 4 flowers, but one someone's birthday you should give 3. Usually even in flower shops you are asked for what occasion you are buying flowers.

Surrender or be squished!

Offline Khiras

• Dwarf Lover
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 03:11:09 PM »
12. In the UK, parent's don't have to send their children to school. They can teach them at home if they prefer.
(well, although I don't like early rising because of school, I prefer teaching by teacher than teaching by my mother  :D
It's called Homeschooling. We do it (we being my family).

Offline Amy

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 05:03:31 PM »
Some of these laws are just plain silly.

Offline Neferit

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 10:17:11 PM »

Hey, I work with the information I got! ;) And our teacher told us that she had thought this is a lie, too. But then she asked one of her collegues in France and he said it's true :D So no Napoleon pig :( ;D

Some of these laws are just plain silly.

Heh, many laws are silly ;D and not just the ones from this access 8)
A cos čekal, krevety?

PLUTO FOREVER!!!

Offline Dead_Ghost

• Level 3
    • MSN Messenger - dead_ghost_13@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 02:39:40 AM »
2. It depends on what rate the balloon tells: >0.5 & <0.8 = ticket + possible inhibition of driver's license for 1-6 months; >0.8 & <1.2 = ticket + possible inhibition of driver's license for 6-12 months; >1.2 is a crime, which means you better hope that the judge can be sympathetic. ;) :D
*nothing to see here. move along, move along*

Offline Undertaker

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • http://forums.chosenofmystra.net/index.php
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 10:18:47 AM »
 ???
Evil hidden everywhere
Evil has a chilling stare
Null and void of any care
Is where the answer lies
It does no good to beg or cry
It does no good to question why
It does no good it never dies
Evil never dies

Offline Redrake

• God of Frustration
  • Modders
  • Level 4
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - remildragos
    • View Profile
    • A lawyerish website
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 12:05:38 PM »

Hey, I work with the information I got! ;) And our teacher told us that she had thought this is a lie, too. But then she asked one of her collegues in France and he said it's true :D So no Napoleon pig :( ;D
Yeah, well there are stupid rumors all around like the one that italians eat cats. :D

Surrender or be squished!

Offline Neferit

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 12:30:30 PM »
2. It depends on what rate the balloon tells: >0.5 & <0.8 = ticket + possible inhibition of driver's license for 1-6 months; >0.8 & <1.2 = ticket + possible inhibition of driver's license for 6-12 months; >1.2 is a crime, which means you better hope that the judge can be sympathetic. ;) :D

It's only me who didn't understand this?  :D

Yeah, well there are stupid rumors all around like the one that italians eat cats. :D

??? Hee, I heard this only about people from Vietnam (well, more precisely it was something about them serving cats in their bistros. If they serve cats I must tell that the cats tast wonderful  :D ;D)
A cos čekal, krevety?

PLUTO FOREVER!!!

Offline berelinde

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 12:47:43 PM »
"The rate on the balloon" refers to the blood alcohol level as measured by the analysis device.

In NJ, 0.05% is considered potentially impaired, and will be prosecuted as driving drunk if you're in an accident, 0.08% is considered legally drunk (it used to be 0.10%). A human being loses consciousness and risks death at 0.4%.

Here's a chart that has some data that might or might not be interesting.

http://www.drunkdrivingdefense.com/general/bac.htm

People might or might not appear drunk at different levels. I, personally, am a cheap date (doesn't take much). My boyfriend can be quite drunk, and no one can tell. Go fig.

Offline Neferit

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 01:55:19 PM »
People might or might not appear drunk at different levels. I, personally, am a cheap date (doesn't take much). My boyfriend can be quite drunk, and no one can tell. Go fig.

Heh, that's one of the reason why I don't drink alcohol - firstly, I'm still not 18 and secondly I don't like drunken people ::) And I'm sure that when I would begin to drink in company of some of my friends/'friends', gods know where I would end  :( :evil

Hm, I already know the solution of verity or falsity of that rules and laws but I'm almost afraid of telling you 
A cos čekal, krevety?

PLUTO FOREVER!!!

Offline Ardanis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 02:16:30 PM »
13. In Russia, men should take off their gloves to shake somebody's hand.
(can be problem if you're right in the Siberia)
[/quote]

When I went to school my teacher had said once that there is no need to take off gloves when it's too cold. Although I never saw anyone shaking one's hand and wearing gloves.

Also, being without a glove at -20 C for ~30 seconds isn't that bad. And I'm not even from Siberia.