Author Topic: BG1 NPC Project  (Read 81930 times)

Offline Raven_Song

• Level 2
    • View Profile
BG1 NPC Project
« on: January 05, 2007, 04:58:36 AM »

I'm interested to learn what combination of NPC's others enjoyed and would recommend.
Zhaan: I love all living beings. The seek has re-opened my eyes to the wonder of the spirit. I am now going to devote my life to enlightenment.

Offline berelinde

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
Re: BG1 NPC Project
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 07:22:04 AM »
My favorite party would include Kivan, Xan, and Imoen. Depending on the gender of my PC, I would take either Ajantis and Coran or Minsc and Dynaheir, but that would assume I was running a cleric pc. If not, you're going to have to take Branwen, Viconia, a druid, or one of the cleric/druid multis.

Or wait a month, and Gavin will be ready to fulfil your Tutu clericking needs. ;)

Don't wait that long. Start now.

Offline Raven_Song

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 07:28:26 AM »

Don't wait that long. Start now.

I daren't - I've really got to finish my MA dissertation ASAP. I fear I start a proper game I will never get it finished.

Or wait a month, and Gavin will be ready to fulfil your Tutu clericking needs.

That will really depend who he has the best/most interesting banters with...  ;)
Zhaan: I love all living beings. The seek has re-opened my eyes to the wonder of the spirit. I am now going to devote my life to enlightenment.

Offline K. Lou of Combs

• Level 1
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - i_inhabit_earth@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nybcr/themarysuemod.htm
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 06:07:59 PM »
You've got to have Xan.  His banters are really well-written.  And his romance is (in my opinion) the best of the three offered for female PCs.

Imoen is pretty good, too, and you actually end up getting a nice little Amulet of Protection +1 if you keep her long enough (i.e., all the way to Baldur's Gate).

As for the other characters... umm... I can't remember at the moment cuz I haven't played BG1 with the NPC Project in a while.
"Without my glasses, I see the world as it really is: kinda blurry."

"I hate to tell you this, but... your IQ Test came back negative."

The stupidest, silliest mod in progress is right here:
The Mary Sue NPC Mod

Offline berelinde

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 06:36:12 PM »
Give me the info on your PC, and it would help refine my recommendations.

Info that would help:
Class
Alignment
Stats

Qualities you want in your party, including, but not limited to: entertaining banter (for a given value of entertaining), romance, quest content, general NPC talkativeness, interparty friction, power, theme (e.g. all elves, all rangers), and whether or not you plan to cycle through your NPCs (not all are available early).

Offline Ashara

• Dreamwalker
  • Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 09:12:24 PM »
Heh, I have one word for you: cycle!

Offline Raven_Song

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 02:36:37 AM »

Gender: Female (I'll be using Skie's picture, it's not important but I thought I'd mention it) 
Race: Human or Half-Elf
Class: Bard
Alignment: True Neutral
Stats: In order of importance DEX > CHA > INT > CON > STR > WIS

entertaining banter: of course, for me this usually involves humour and/or friction
romance: possibly, but it won't be the be all and end all if there isn't one
quest content: not a major issue
general NPC talkativeness: really depends on the character doing the talking
interparty friction: oh yes:
power, theme (e.g. all elves, all rangers): no I like a mixture
cycle through your NPCs (not all are available early): I'm willing to try, Imoen's first on the transfer list, however if I get Safana she's a keeper (I don't think shes a great thief but she's worth her weight in gold for comedy value.)

Offline berelinde

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 06:56:54 AM »
It's possible to have some good conflict in BG1.

In any party with Minsc, Dynaheir, and Edwin, sparks are going to be flying.

Jaheira and Khalid are at odds with Xzar and Montaron.

Tiax and Quayle will eventually have issues, but I frankly don't think you'll like either of them much.

You and I don't really like the same things in NPCs, or don't find the same things entertaining, but keeping your tastes in mind, I think you should try to manage your party so you wind up with Edwin, Safana, Coran (which removes him from your romance pool), maybe Shar-Teel, and I'm stumped for a cleric. Branwen would do, I suppose, or Viconia.

I'm not too sure if you're going to be thrilled with Shar-Teel, but you're going to desparately need a tank. You could try Kivan, Ajantis, or keep Minsc instead.

If you weren't running a bard yourself, I'd suggest having Eldoth, Skie, and Garrick in the party, because that would be fun for you, but you don't want all bards.

Offline Raven_Song

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 08:13:28 AM »

I'm stumped for a cleric.

Are clerics absolutely necessary or would it be possible to survive with a druid?   

I'm not too sure if you're going to be thrilled with Shar-Teel, but you're going to desparately need a tank.

Actually it might be interesting to see how the man-hater gets along with the man-eater.

If you weren't running a bard yourself, I'd suggest having Eldoth, Skie, and Garrick in the party, because that would be fun for you, but you don't want all bards.

Oh I don't know it might be quite fun. I think I'd definitely have to uninstall SCS though.

Offline Ashara

• Dreamwalker
  • Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 08:36:05 AM »
I'd actually suggest going with all three female romances - because then you'll have tons of conflict: Coran, Xan and Ajantis. I'd get Safana if you decide to ditch Coran for Xan (as everyone does), and let Coran have banters with her.

Don't get me wrong, Safana is a wonderful NPC, but well, she is one of the NPCs that got great but not very extensive content, and having her with Coran remedies it somewhat, because they banter a lot.

I'd also tentatively suggest for you to rotate through clerical contingent, seeing which one works the best for you, not forgetting Faldorn (I keep hopping she'll be appreciated one day) and install the "get them early on!" component, to get Tiax in Beregost.

Offline berelinde

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 08:41:49 AM »
I don't mean to shortchange the druids! But Faldorn isn't available until CW3, and you're going to need something to hold you until then.

Jaheira's got a fantastic quest, but she is not everyone's cup of tea.

I like Faldorn well enough, but I usually have a pc who has problems with the shadow druids on general principles, so bringing her doesn't seem right from a role-playing perspective. I gave her nice banters with Gavin, though.

Offline berelinde

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 08:44:35 AM »
If you're interested in trying all 3 romances, you might want to consider making yourself a bard and SK-ing yourself to "elf" before you meet Xan or Coran. Those two relationships are really better for elves, and I can't think of a single logical reason elves can't be bards.

Offline Ashara

• Dreamwalker
  • Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 09:09:31 AM »
Believe it or not, the reason why elves cannot be bard - at least the one I heard of - was that their singing is too good for the world of the non-elves and will create a longing in the hearts of the non-elves. Upon hearing that explanation, I never had problems SK'ining my bards into elves  ::) As for Coran, I think, it's actually better to play a human character for his romance, he does have the particular liking for human women. But for all three, yep, you need an elf.

Offline Raven_Song

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 09:23:02 AM »
 Faldorn looks great.  :D

I've just been reading some of the sample banters on G3 and her exchange with Imoen is great. (I'd like to imagine that she really will make her eat the dead cockroach.  :evil)

Eldoth also looks like a lot of fun.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 11:42:12 AM by Nevar »

Offline cmorgan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 01:02:05 PM »
Faldorn and Eldoth have some interesting content that many folks never see. It might be interesting to try a neutral party and see how they work. For your character, though, I second the Xan Coran and Ajantis, if only to unlock the Female Romance Challenges!