16 (61.5%)
Icewind Dale
3 (11.5%)
Icewind Dale 2
0 (0%)
Planescape Torment
2 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Favorite IE Game  (Read 15627 times)

Offline Ardanis

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Favorite IE Game
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 04:40:34 PM »
BG2. BG is quite equal to it though. IWD - mindless slaughter, IWD2 - sucks in many aspects (3E (!), 600x800, interface design, perhaps slaughter too (don't know about last one right now though)). PST - haven't tried yet, but am looking for play eventually.

Offline Redrake

• God of Frustration
  • Modders
  • Level 4
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - remildragos
    • View Profile
    • A lawyerish website
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 12:01:24 AM »
IWD - mindless slaughter, IWD2 - sucks in many aspects (3E (!), 600x800, interface design, perhaps slaughter too (don't know about last one right now though)).
::) Have you ever noticed a small exe in IWD2 game folder called configuration? You can use that to adjust the resolution as you see fit. But all of IE games work just great at lower resolution. Seeing the party as ants is not fun.
Both IWD games offer a lot of roleplaying. I don't think any of those who claim that IWD games are no more than mindless hack&slash ever played the games in MP. Playing BG2 in MP is not as fun as playing IWD due to BG2 NPC's and the additional quests they bring. Roleplaying means playing the role of a paladin or ranger or thief. In BG games you won't be able to play that more than through banters and/or strongholds. In IWD2 however you have a lot of class-only options for quests or dialogues.

Surrender or be squished!

Offline Undertaker

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • http://forums.chosenofmystra.net/index.php
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2007, 03:17:11 AM »
What I love about IWD is total party control and ability to customize it to your will. It's powergamer's dream coming to life :lilly. Although it takes me about 3 hours to create 6 person party in IWD 1 (yay for stat rolling!)
Evil hidden everywhere
Evil has a chilling stare
Null and void of any care
Is where the answer lies
It does no good to beg or cry
It does no good to question why
It does no good it never dies
Evil never dies

Offline Raven_Song

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2007, 03:26:12 AM »

BG2. BG is quite equal to it though.

I think with things like EasyTutu and BG1 NPC Project, BG2 is now the lesser game. BG1 has a better storyline, more NPC's and nicer gaming environment (you've got cities, forests and mines).

What I love about IWD is total party control and ability to customize it to your will. It's powergamer's dream coming to life . Although it takes me about 3 hours to create 6 person party in IWD 1 (yay for stat rolling!)

That's probably why I couldn't get on with it - I'm not a power-gamer. Still if that's your thing both of the IWD games are great. 

[
Zhaan: I love all living beings. The seek has re-opened my eyes to the wonder of the spirit. I am now going to devote my life to enlightenment.

Offline Serenity

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007, 05:43:43 AM »
Power gaming is alright, IWD satisfies that need. Kill everything and loot their corpses.
Dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask.  ~X-Files~

Offline Redrake

• God of Frustration
  • Modders
  • Level 4
    • View Profile
    • A lawyerish website
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2007, 06:59:56 AM »
What I love about IWD is total party control and ability to customize it to your will. It's powergamer's dream coming to life :lilly. Although it takes me about 3 hours to create 6 person party in IWD 1 (yay for stat rolling!)
It takes me about 15 minutes to create a balanced party in IWD1. And sometimes I don't even do that, since I have hundreds of exported characters (at level 1), gathered since 2002. ;)

Offline Undertaker

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2007, 07:55:04 AM »
But I want my characters to have highest possible stats :P
Evil hidden everywhere
Is where the answer lies
Evil never dies

Offline Ashara

• Dreamwalker
  • Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2007, 09:34:04 AM »
I think with things like EasyTutu and BG1 NPC Project, BG2 is now the lesser game. BG1 has a better storyline, more NPC's and nicer gaming environment (you've got cities, forests and mines).

(nods) I've been saying it for years.

Heh, IWD2 works very nicely with the joinables; the dialogues indeed are quite fun if you actually read them instead of clicking-till-fight-starts; the events are actually very cool, the locations beautiful(!) so it's a delight to add joinables comments and talks and all that. Very, very nice. I'll let everyone know if it becomes a more-BG2 comparable by difficulty game when you start with the level 6, not level 0 party. That's one of my goals for my next play-test through. :evil
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 09:36:00 AM by Ashara »

Offline Redrake

• God of Frustration
  • Modders
  • Level 4
    • View Profile
    • A lawyerish website
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2007, 09:44:31 AM »
But I want my characters to have highest possible stats :P
Take a party of rangers then. ;D You'll get 18 in at least 4 stats.

Offline Ardanis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2007, 02:50:09 PM »
Have you ever noticed a small exe in IWD2 game folder called configuration? You can use that to adjust the resolution as you see fit. But all of IE games work just great at lower resolution. Seeing the party as ants is not fun.
I fully agree. There isn't my preferable 640x480 option in IWD2's config.

Also, I think that IWD1 (maybe IWD2 too) has one big disadvantage - it doesn't allow any side quests or whatever needed to raise party's strength. In many RPG games player can retreat before strong monster and come back later, after he/she gets enough levels and items to defeat that. BG, Fallout, M&M, even Diablo, others - all of them allows to get stronger if you feel weak to fight boss. And what does IWD?

Offline Ashara

• Dreamwalker
  • Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2007, 03:24:48 PM »
IWD allowsd you to flexibly import characters. So, if you fell that the battle needs another character, you just rebuild it for a particular battle. In IWD you always have to be prepared, especially in IWD2. Always. You need multiple casters and knowing your magic well.

IWD series are not "worse" than BG series, they are "different". You need to adjust your tactics and strategy to play IWD2 (I'm fresh after a wide-eyed run through it), and you need to be f*** good at playing CRPG to stay alive. It's much, much more challenging than BG2.

I don't argue that some of the battles are irritating: Xvim is bad, but if it's a slaughter it's so not mindless one! ToB is a mindless slaughter. IWD2 is a true intellectual battle with the developper.

Actually one thing I am looking forward to once the mod is tested out *is* playing IWD2 w/o cheating. Well, that and building alternative paths through the game and optional sidequests... I'm in love with IWD2 potential, even if it is tough love!

Offline Ardanis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2007, 03:52:27 PM »
ToB is a mindless slaughter.
As if I would agrue with it :) But BG1 and SoA aren't kill-em-all.
Well, anyway IWD seems to be much worse than BG after experience with BG. IMHO.

Offline Ashara

• Dreamwalker
  • Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2007, 04:08:38 PM »
I don't remember IWD that well, it's too primitive as is for my taste to replay, but IWD2 is definetly better than BG2 with joinables. I'd really would like to add alternative paths, because then it will be an intellectually intriguing game on every level -you must think how to fight, what solution to chose, which characters to bring along- perfect.

BTW, I just read that article on creative multiclassing in IWD2, it's another something BG2 doesn't offer in its character builds. Fascinating.

Offline Redrake

• God of Frustration
  • Modders
  • Level 4
    • View Profile
    • A lawyerish website
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2007, 11:14:56 PM »
I don't argue that some of the battles are irritating: Xvim is bad, but if it's a slaughter it's so not mindless one! ToB is a mindless slaughter. IWD2 is a true intellectual battle with the developper.
All the battles are rather easy once you find the right strategy. Xvim has poor reflex saves, so entangle is best way to go.
BG1 and IWD1 are very close as interface. But IWD goes a little further making classes which were bad in BG1, a must in any party. For example, bards have many sidequests and items, paladins get the benefit of a holy avenger weapon (IWD was the first CRPG to introduce the idea of the Holy Avenger). Also one of the most important replayability feature of IWD is the randomized treasure. That's one of the major handicaps in BG games. All the important items are fixed, you will always get the same items when running through the game. In IWD this is random. You might get in Severed Hand Kaylessa's Bow or you might get her chainmail armor.

Offline Undertaker

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2007, 07:17:18 AM »
With good party and tactic it's not so hard to beat IWD2 on Heart Of Fury :lilly
Evil hidden everywhere
Is where the answer lies
Evil never dies