Author Topic: Assertion Error in Throne Mine  (Read 5667 times)

Offline foolyscrewed

• AOL Instant Messenger - foolyscrewed
    • View Profile
    • Email
Assertion Error in Throne Mine
« on: July 26, 2006, 12:42:02 PM »
Heyhey,

So I'm playing DSotSC for the first time and everything's running fine;  I'm thoroughly enjoying all the extra items, armor, etc.  But as I'm stockpiling these and other more usual items in the above-ground entrance to the Throne's mine so I can sell them all off after the flood I keep getting an assertion error in line 724 on the 1st level of the mine.  Now what the heck, right?

Honestly, I've downloaded all the patches I've found so far on the forrum trying to nip this sort of thing in the bud, but now I'm just getting frustrated and would prefer a fast, easy solution that doesn't intel me re-installing or erasing my current game.

SO, if anyone would like to offer some suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much.

Later.
Cordially the companions commenced to shoot the breeze, the shit, the badguys, the bottles, the bird, and otherwise the messenger, in a forray of fellowship not often felt in such a fallacious fornificant fondubial age.

Offline Red Carnelian

• Global Moderator
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • The Stone of Askavar
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 02:37:42 PM »
OK Two questions

Do you have any other MODS installed?

What does the assertion error say?
Little is known of Nirel, a powerful cleric who could resist the spells of his enemies. However, history does record that he was a vile zealot whose hatred for followers of other faiths knew almost no bounds. It is said that he kept the heads of his victims as trophies and was personally responsible for defiling over one hundred temples of other faiths. In the centuries since, his mace has appeared in the hands of evil clerics across the Realms.

Offline foolyscrewed

• View Profile
    • Email
Answer to questions:
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 05:23:56 PM »
Sorry for the delay.  I was out to eat.  But here are the answers to your questions.  Thank you so much for your assistance:

1.)  No.  I've downloaded DS + the patch you put up the link to in another thread, which allowed a majority of the identify scrolls to unfold and also gave some text to items that had remained blank.  Otherwise the only other thing I remember adding to my copy of The Orig. Saga is some custom portraits, and any other mods I've DLed were for BGII and the Icewind Dales.  It is important to note however that it is a matter of remembering.  I have a vague recollection of a second DS patch but it is perhaps my imagination since I cannot find anything else but the files I downloaded from your site.

2.)  Here is the exact assertion error verbatim:
"An Assertion failed in
D:\BGSourceUpdate_TOTSC\dev\Baldur\CPathSearch.cpp at line number 724"

I hope that gives you some idea where the problem lies.  Thanks so much again for your time and aid.  I hope to hear from you soon (The fate of Faerun, nay the entire universe, surely depends upon it).

Later
Cordially the companions commenced to shoot the breeze, the shit, the badguys, the bottles, the bird, and otherwise the messenger, in a forray of fellowship not often felt in such a fallacious fornificant fondubial age.

Offline Red Carnelian

• Global Moderator
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • The Stone of Askavar
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 06:29:58 AM »
I don't know whats causing the problem. DS doesn't affect the area you are in.
Little is known of Nirel, a powerful cleric who could resist the spells of his enemies. However, history does record that he was a vile zealot whose hatred for followers of other faiths knew almost no bounds. It is said that he kept the heads of his victims as trophies and was personally responsible for defiling over one hundred temples of other faiths. In the centuries since, his mace has appeared in the hands of evil clerics across the Realms.

Offline foolyscrewed

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 07:52:45 AM »
Hmmmm... are you familiar with anything that does affect that area off the top of your head?

Offline Red Carnelian

• Global Moderator
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • The Stone of Askavar
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 09:01:07 AM »
No one to my knowledge has had this problem with DS installed. Exactly where does this assertion occur? Is it when you try to enter the first level or somewhere in the first level?

If it occurrs when you leave the area where you stored the items then you may want to try removing the items you have stockpiled away from the the above ground entrance to a different location. Just dump them outside for now and then try entering the area again to see what happens.

Offline foolyscrewed

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 09:22:17 AM »
Actually it occurs in several places in the first level; pretty much as I'm headed for the lift.  I wasn't having this problem only a couple days ago.  I would quickly just sprint through the first level and get to the entrance where I would dump everything off.  I'm not sure exactly what it could be either.  It's deffinitely particular to Level 1, and now there are no slaves there, but that didn't impede me before.  Also, I'm stuck inside the mines, so my gaming is shot if I can't get out/flood the place.  The items explanation I'll try, but I can't see how it would make a difference since I've already gotten all the cool stuff out and now my characters are simply humping everyday run-of-the-mill armor around.  Thank you for the help of course.  If only I know where line 724 was and what it did...

Offline Red Carnelian

• Global Moderator
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • The Stone of Askavar
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 10:58:03 AM »
Just wondering if you patched the original saga? because you don't need to patch it.

Offline Tervadh

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Assertion errors
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 05:09:49 AM »
Assertion errors are quite common even in unmodded BG games.  This one in particular (lines 723-724) is mentioned several times on the Bioware forum.

There are several suggested fixes there, but the most common one seems to be to clean your installation media (or use a scratch remover) and reinstall.  You *might* be able to salvage your saved game if it isn't corrupted.
"One should choose one's bedfellows while it is daylight." -Swedish proverb