Author Topic: question about tob content  (Read 7007 times)

Offline aymric

• View Profile
question about tob content
« on: May 29, 2006, 10:22:35 PM »
from what i read the tob stuff isn't done entirely yet.. so what i was wondering is if i download the fade mod now and do all of soa; if i just keep that save game at the end of soa will that trigger all of the tob stuff you'll add later?

or do you think that when you add the the tob content it'll mess with the scripts so much that it'll be better to just wait?

just want to make sure now or later i'll be able to complete the whole mod on my current thief.  :D
- aym

Offline Lord Ernie

• Level 1
    • MSN Messenger - Ask for it
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 04:18:55 AM »
I'm not sure how much the ToB part will add to the existing SoA romance, but AFAIK it were one or two small things. In any case, an end-SoA savegame should pretty much guarantee a smooth transition to ToB, once that part of the mod is released.

Offline cwandell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 10:02:51 AM »
you'll probably have to play from the start ... Kelsey was like that.

Offline aymric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 12:24:47 PM »
ahaha

well those two responses clears things up!  :P

wru mistress elysia

edit; and i was hoping there would be epilogues and having the romance continued even if there weren't any more quests
- aym

Offline Silmarien

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 05:50:40 AM »
IIRC with Kelsey I didn't have to play all over again from the start. But that was a long time ago...

With Fade, it should probably be a smooth transition from SoA to ToB, meaning you should be able to take an end-of-SoA save to ToB with no problems.
Random Thoughts From My Ivory Tower

Offline cwandell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 08:23:11 AM »
no Silmarian it has to do with BG2's engine i think, it doesn't like it when you uninstall mods well having a saved game, so if you uninstall one version and reinstall it again, you end up having some...interesting results in the saved game.  heh Kelsey's name became 932dl0 one time :P and all his scripts were messed up for example.

Offline Lord Ernie

• Level 1
    • MSN Messenger - Ask for it
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 08:52:15 AM »
Script messup is impossible, if you uninstall correctly... uninstalling a version would remove all scripts installed by that mod from the game code, and installing a new one would add in the new scripts, so no mixup possible.

What does happen is that character names and soundsets get mixed up, since the savegame would be referring to names and lines that since have been moved. That's why most NPC mods come with a string fixer to remedy this; I've never played Kelsey, but I'm guessing he has one. Fade has one, for sure... hover over her portrait with the mouse, and hit 'F' (I think), and byebye name messups.

Offline Redrake

• God of Frustration
  • Modders
  • Level 4
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - remildragos
    • View Profile
    • A lawyerish website
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 10:47:07 AM »
Quote from: "Lord Ernie"
What does happen is that character names and soundsets get mixed up, since the savegame would be referring to names and lines that since have been moved. That's why most NPC mods come with a string fixer to remedy this; I've never played Kelsey, but I'm guessing he has one. Fade has one, for sure... hover over her portrait with the mouse, and hit 'F' (I think), and byebye name messups.

Some mods have it in a banter of some sort. I think Kelsey has one.

Surrender or be squished!

Offline Lord Kain

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/12483/
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 02:52:57 PM »
Yeah Kelsey has it, its almost a standard on NPC mods sense its invention. Like how any new romance mod HAS to have a flirt pack.
"Who--who are you?"
"Who? Who is but the form following the function of what... and what I am is a man in a mask."
"I can see that"
"Of course you can. I'm not questioning your powers of observation, I'm merely remarking on the paradox of asking a masked man who he is."

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • http://mistresselysia.deviantart.com/
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 09:22:05 AM »
:D Sil's the one who would know... anyway, that's something that I would be testing straight off, considering I have an end-of SoA save that I intend to use when I get the first ToB update ;-) .