Author Topic: Great Tolkien Books  (Read 29719 times)

Offline Raven

• Miriam's sane half
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
  • Like Awesome!
    • View Profile
    • Vampire Tales
Great Tolkien Books
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 06:43:37 AM »
Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:11 am    

This forum can always use some revitalizing. I had to read the Silmarillion a couple of times to grasp it. Sad story but all stories are not meant to be happy.
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Offline Lonewolf

• View Profile
    • Email
Great Tolkien Books
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 06:43:38 AM »
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:17 am    

Well, I can see that a long long time have passed since the last reply was posted, but still I will write this one. I picked The Hobbit, because that was the first Tolkien book I read, and the one I read every time I want to get my mind back to my pure infancy. I mean, when you read the Hobbit you feel in your heart that sensation of love, innocence and fantasy like you used to do when you where a child and dreamed whit castles, elves and a Dragon riding the wind on the blue sky.
Am I wrong? icon_razz.gif
On the other hand, books like The Lord of the Ring, The Silmarillon, Tom Bombadil and the others have that very same sensation, but expanded to the horizon of an older person. Heroic characters, vile characters, inmense love and eternal hate, all mixed on a story perfectly composed and writed with inspiration.

God, I love this!

...and again, sorry for my poor english!!!!
Elen Sila Lumenn Omentielvo!!
(A Star Shines in the Hour of Our Meeting)

Cheers,
Lonewolf.-

Offline Sillara

• Retired Modder
  • Level 2
    • MSN Messenger - gilalion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sk8pilmp
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - charisariel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gilalion.com
    • Email
Great Tolkien Books
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 06:43:39 AM »
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:22 am    

I chose the Silmarillion. It is not only my favorite Tolkien book, but my favorite book of all. I have read it at least 40 times, literally. One of my daughters is named Charies Luthien Juliet, and another is Miranda Celebrindal Sillara. (The middle girl's name is Ariel Chinatsu Sophia; she missed Tolkien and got Japanese instead. )

Sillara
Can you accept a necromancer? Can you trust a murderer? Can you love Tsujatha?
If you like Tsujatha, you should read his novels.
Natha ssin'urn lu' dwalc ilythiiri noamuth wund l' rivven: Yasraena zhah ghil!
Saerileth's bounty is as boundless as the sea; the more  she gives to you, the more she has, for her love is infinite.

Offline Twinblades2

• View Profile
    • Email
Great Tolkien Books
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 06:43:40 AM »
Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:09 pm    

Sillara wrote:   
Wow, this thread looks to have died months ago, but hey--I just joined. It's also nearly 2:30 AM for me. My children are asleep, and my husband is out "with the guys." I can never sleep if he's not home, so I sit up and write pointless posts in dead threads. icon_rolleyes.gif

The best of Tolkien's books is certainly The Silmarillion. Tolkien began writing that book when he was in the trenches in WWI. He wrote it all his life, and it was his son Christopher Tolkien who gathered it up after JRR's death. (It is sad, but I even know what the initials stand for: John Ronald Reuel.)

As Guest mentioned, the Silmarillion does contain the origins of Middle-Earth. It is written in a more distant style than LotR, and it may take a little getting used to. It is certainly worth it.

I've read a bit from The Silmarillion. I'm now reading LOTR the Two Towers

Offline Sillara

• Retired Modder
  • Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Email
Great Tolkien Books
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 06:43:41 AM »
Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:38 pm    

Keep reading, Twinblades! Have you ever read LotR before?

Sillara
Saerileth's bounty is as boundless as the sea; the more  she gives to you, the more she has, for her love is infinite.

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • http://mistresselysia.deviantart.com/
Great Tolkien Books
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 06:43:42 AM »
Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:15 am    

I first had the hobbit read to me when I was 7, and I was totally captivated by Tolkiens world. Luckily both my mum and dad loved LotR, and we always had copies of Tolkiens main works in the house (we used to listen to the Radio 4 version, with Ian Holm as Frodo. The scream of the Ringwraiths gave me nightmares for weeks...!). I used to love sitting and looking at the cover of LotR (it wa the old 'green' one with The Shire on the front and Mordor on the back) and just imagine what weird and wonderful creatures inhabited such a land...I first read the whole of LotR when I was 10, but didn't really understand it. I tried again at 12, and the rest, as they say, is history. I actually studied the trilogy for my English A Level (much to the annoyance of my English Teacher....according to her 'Tolkien wasn't real literature'...hmmmm) but I stuck to my guns and actually got a good mark for it! With that and the fact that it has inspired a million pictures in me; some are good, some are not, but they are all looked at with fond memories and new inspiration.

The Silmarillion is my mothers favourite Tolkien book, and so will always have a special place in my heart, because it has prompted many an evenings discussion over a bottle of wine or 3...and, of course, the eternal arguement over whether who's the hottest; elves or men?

Offline Sillara

• Retired Modder
  • Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Email
Great Tolkien Books
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 06:43:43 AM »
Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:59 am    

Elves are definitely the hottest! The best-looking man ever was Turin Turambar, and they say that he had Elven beauty. icon_wink.gif He-he! Elves win! icon_biggrin.gif

Luthien or Arwen? Easy. Luthien.

Feanor or Finrod? Equally easy. Finrod Felagund!!!!! (He is the best of them all! My husband disagrees; he likes Feanor best.

I had read the Hobbit and LotR both by the time I was 10; when I was nine, my parents decided I had read the Silmarillion too much. They both love Tolkien, but 20 times in a row was more than they thought a good idea. They took away my copy of it until I had read three or four other books first. I knocked those books out within a week so I could get my Silmarillion back! icon_cool.gif

But I had better stop now, before I get carried away!

Sillara

Offline Twinblades2

• View Profile
    • Email
Great Tolkien Books
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 06:45:24 AM »
Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:46 pm    

Sillara wrote:   
Elves are definitely the hottest! The best-looking man ever was Turin Turambar, and they say that he had Elven beauty. icon_wink.gif He-he! Elves win! icon_biggrin.gif

Luthien or Arwen? Easy. Luthien.

Feanor or Finrod? Equally easy. Finrod Felagund!!!!! (He is the best of them all! My husband disagrees; he likes Feanor best.

I had read the Hobbit and LotR both by the time I was 10; when I was nine, my parents decided I had read the Silmarillion too much. They both love Tolkien, but 20 times in a row was more than they thought a good idea. They took away my copy of it until I had read three or four other books first. I knocked those books out within a week so I could get my Silmarillion back!

But I had better stop now, before I get carried away!

Sillara   

I also like the elves in Tokien. Esspecially Legolas in the movies, very acrobatic and nimble.

Offline Sir_Carnifex

• Scourge of Kobolds
  • Modders
  • Level 1
  • Scourge of Kobolds
    • View Profile
Re: Great Tolkien Books
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 02:12:41 PM »
The Lord of the Rings is, by far, my favorite of the three.  I've read through it about four times now (skipping old Bombadil).  I liked The Hobbit, too, but not as much.   The Silmarillion was rather uninteresting.  I managed to get through it and there were some points that were okay when they cleared up something in LOTR, but for the most part it is a history, not a story, and it's rather boring.   I like history, but history of the real world.
In progress - Armin Kasun - a mercenary NPC for BG2

On hold - Halbo NPC for BG2, the evil halfling thief, food critic, and party troublemaker

Offline Solaufein

• Lord of the Realms
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
  • The night is dark and full of terrors...
    • ICQ Messenger - 251194643
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - gscott7833
    • View Profile
    • http://teambg.net
Re: Great Tolkien Books
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 09:04:09 PM »
The Silmarillion is a good one. It deals with the ancient history of his world, which is interesting.
My mods:
Dark Horizons
The Undying
Nikita
IWD2 store

Co-contributor:
Dark Side of the Sword Coast BG1 Weidu
Aurils Bane
Encounters
Saerileth
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester