Author Topic: Yoshimo: quest idea  (Read 2888 times)

Offline musekissing

• View Profile
Yoshimo: quest idea
« on: April 05, 2006, 07:14:06 AM »
Hi, I'm new here at the forum, but I registered when I discovered your nice mod idea. It is IMHO a thing that is needed definetely, at least after the BG1NPC project. Please keep up your good work, experienced modders and mod interested users!

I also wanted to contribute a quest idea about our charming bountyhunter Yoshimo. I always wondered why he was called a 'bountyhunter' (besides he has the kit), as he hunts not a single bounty and is more interested in common pickpocketing (nobles in the street, etc).
I made up my kind and have come to the conclusion that he definetely needs a quest involving his profession as a bountyhunter.
My idea is, that shortly after one gets the first quest either from Aran Linvaill or Bodhi Yoshi receives a message from any unknown source (bountyhunter-milieu) and leads you to a contactman, perhaps anyone who has nothing to do with the shadowthieves (a bribed guardsman or bureaucrat). The contact informs Yoshi about a price being set on the head of an shadowthief spy and informant, who was previously engaged with an rival thievesguild not active in Athkatla (night masks, night knives, or something). The rival guild itself can not deal with the traitor (who is going to inform the shadowthieves of their activities and plans) as it couls result in another guildwar (at this point of the game it is not clear if the shadowthieves lose against Bodhi), therefore a independant bountyhunter is needed.
If sided with Bodhi it is no problem for Yoshi and the group to kill the informant and his guards. The group can perform the task and get an large amount of gold or items, or can inform Bodhi about the other guild (what should be the death of their activities).
If in alliance with the shadowthieves a lot more guile and disguise is needed. The group mustn't be seen while murdering the informant.
And because the informant is guarded by some thugs and an very watchful diviner-mage, a ring of invisibility and a cloak of non-detection could play a role. The informant should currently stay at the crooked crane doing a stop between before he gets to the docks (by the way the quest should have a time limit), perhaps behind the secret door (replace the lich-chamber with an area with two seperate rooms; perhaps from BG1). With the items, which can be acquired by doing some minor tasks for some merchants (or simply already owned by previous quests),
Yoshimo can acquire his 'bounty' or inform the shadowcouncil (Aran Linvail) about the matter.
It think this quest is to develop Yoshi less in his charming personaltity, but more in his dark business-activity, which is neglected in the original game,

Offline musekissing

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 08:55:21 AM »
Any comments? Pros and cons? Anything from the mod team?

Offline Zyraen

• Level 2
    • MSN Messenger - zyraen@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 09:46:16 AM »
Good idea. But I'm not on this team.
SoAVer
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps and redistribution, and more.

Offline musekissing

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 10:26:21 AM »
Doesn't matter. Modding is more democratic then most things.
Every comment has its worth.  :)

Offline K'aeloree

• Level 1
    • MSN Messenger - liamlala@nornrock.com
    • View Profile
    • http://emptyminds.net/phorum/
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 03:41:38 PM »
Sorry for not commenting sooner; I just haven't had the time. I'll comment more thoroughly after I get back :-)

I think its a great idea to give Yoshimo a quest, and one relating his bounty hunting is a big bonus. I think the story is a little too simplistic, though; it needs another 'stage', like finding the identity of this shadow thief informant. And what are the consequences of being found out by the shadow thieves? You would have no alternative but to turn to Bodhi, and by that time its too late, so you're left without a means to go to Brynnlaw/Spellhold.

Any ideas on this?

Offline musekissing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 06:25:14 AM »
You're right. It is really a bit simple if you know all the facts from the beginning. Finding out the identity is difficult however, because setting a bounty on a person without knowing its name is not too realistic. But perhaps the location could be unknown, and some interaction with a diviner mage, also involving any items which belong to the wanted person (which must be found), could be arranged.
An idea in failing the quest: after the murder an important shadowthief could pop up, arresting Yoshimo and blaming him in first order for the crime. He is and independant thief, has already had problems with their guild, and charname and the rest of the group are able to convince the thieves of their innocence, well knowing that the shadowthieves need them in their fight against Bodhi and cannot drive them off because of their knowledge of their base, their leaders, etc.
You have the opportunity to bribe the thieves for Yoshimos freedom, or let him be arrested. (Perhaps later on Brynnlaw Yoshi makes another appearence pretending that he could free from his prison and get on the ship; in fact Bodhi helped him out.)