Author Topic: The Boo Debate: Real, or Imagined?  (Read 8535 times)

Offline K'aeloree

• Level 1
    • MSN Messenger - liamlala@nornrock.com
    • View Profile
    • http://emptyminds.net/phorum/
    • Email
The Boo Debate: Real, or Imagined?
« on: April 03, 2006, 10:33:11 PM »
There seems to be so many fascinating views on Boo, and I was wondering what everyone elses were.

I'm of several minds about it:

I think that an intelligent Boo is possible...

But I also support the theory that Boo is more of a shield for Minsc, to avoid disappointment if people don't like his opinions. Of course, he doesn't know this consciously, and truly believes that Boo guides him...

Another theory I like is that 'Boo' is a locked off part of Minsc's head, which all Rashemi berserkers have to have locked off so they can rage without complications.

What do YOU think? :-)

Offline Zyraen

• Level 2
    • MSN Messenger - zyraen@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 12:18:56 AM »
From looking at Canon Bioware BG2 (and what little I know of BG1), it seems pretty obvious that Boo is a joke. Perhaps originally he was meant to be more than just a joke, but generally speaking Bioware's work depicts it as a funny weird manifestation of a man's mental instability and quirks.

I've always felt that they wanted Minsc to have more depth through Boo but failed or eventually decided not to do so, making the Minsc and Boo mystery rather vapid. In BTL I wrote in such as a way as to bring some mystique back into this rather interesting pairing in BG2.
SoAVer
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps and redistribution, and more.

Offline jaghla'

• MSN Messenger - Denson2222@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 02:32:11 AM »
Boo is Minscs mind, him beeing stupid due to having took one hit to many to the head, Boo is in fact Minsc subconcious, since Minsc now isn't very smart he don't really think of things himself allthough whenever he asks Boo something it is actually himself that thinks it even though he doesn't realize it and projects it onto Boo. You could say it's a dash of schizophrenia and MPD. It is actully very common, some people that suffers from a very draining trauma e.g. Minsc parents were tortured and murdered infront of him as a child (not fact just an example) he then suffers a trauma and he does not want to deal with that so he shuts that part of his head off and projects it onto Boo, so instead of dealing with things Boo contains all that and is like a 2nd person. This way Minsc doesn't really have to make any decisions but listens to Boo which really is the intelligent part of himself.

Edit: Err hope that makes sense looks a bit messy, but that would be the psycological explanation for it. If one day Minsc would get his head fixed the locked part of his brain would become availiable and Boo would just be a normal Hamster and Minsc would probably be a pretty intelligent person, but he would also have to deal with the traumatic experience that caused the damagae from that start.
"A running man can slit a thousand throats in one night"

"Act and you shall have dinner. Think and you shall be dinner"

"Revenge is a dish best served cold"

"A fool and his head are soon parted"

Offline TheNegaDruid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 08:01:12 AM »
I agree with Jaghla definitely on the 'Boo is Minsc's Subconscious' thing. It makes a lot of sense.

-turns on his Irenicus Lecture Voice-

However, real or not real, there is something that we've known and proven about the Cosmology of Dungeons and Dragons and how the Planes, even Faerun itself, shape themselves.

Belief is Power.

The logic of this is undeniable.

You believe, you can focus the magic of the Divine.

Minsc, and perhaps even the entire party, have come to trust in Boo's words and suggestions.  They often have proven to be both intuitive and frighteningly accurate. If these beings, who have ascended with the Godchild to heights of power equal to some of the greatest beings in all of Faerun, believe hard enough... they could alter the reality of Boo.

A memory returns to me. The memory of a tiny baby Phoenix that accompanied a giant Barbarian on his travels. At one point during the Barbarians travels, he faced a terrible evil from beyond the Planes. This evil was a great serpent threatening to devour all the Barbarian knew and loved.

And this baby Phoenix, never more then seemingly a useful companion, showed his true power that day to defend his friend from this great serpent. With a cry of 'You will not hurt Big Dumb Barbarian!' the Phoenix grew to its fully grown size and fought the Serpent with fury unknown to the thing before. This gave the Barbarian and his companions time to regain their weapons, and use the combined power to banish the Serpent God from their world.

In this case, imagine Minsc terribly hurt. Alone. His friends having been terribly injured all around him. His body dying as the great Evil that had done this to such powerful Companions came for them... and only little Boo looking up from the ground at the dying Minsc. Then looking at the Enemy. Then at Minsc. To the companions, perhaps all but the Godchild frozen in stone. Then to Minsc. Then at the Enemy.

Then the tiny eyes narrow.

...Belief is Power. Believe hard enough, and the face and reality of a Plane... changes.

'Go for the Eyes, Boo! GO FOR THE EYES! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!'
Where hope hath no champion, Evil rules all.

Offline Silver Shifter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 08:49:36 AM »
In Bioware it seems that there was some contreversy oer this. Minsc's designer thought Boo was an ordinary hamster ad that is all. Period(In case you couldn't see the little dot, it's small)

However others at Bioware(David Gaider) thought that Boo was special. So really it's all in how you look at it.

Offline Lord Ernie

• Level 1
    • MSN Messenger - Ask for it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 05:34:47 AM »
Whatever you think of it, the answer is simple: don't make it clear that he's either real, or Minsc's 'projected brain', or whatever, in the mod. The whole Boo mistery is about the most interesting thing about Minsc.

Oh, and me, I'd go for the projected brain theory.

Offline KOFi

• ICQ Messenger - 244836437
    • View Profile
    • http://www.robbiewilliams.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 09:10:24 AM »
So you are asserting, that Boo's "voice" (which we can all hear) is Minsc's voice in deed :question:
Tsuki no hikari ni michibikare
Guided by the light of the moon

All ways to SIGIL..

Offline jaghla'

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 10:12:06 AM »
The only Boo voice we can hear is Squeek, the only one that can actually hear Boo speak is Minsc since it is all in his head.

Offline KOFi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 10:49:41 AM »
jaghla': All right.. - and what about the moment, when you are trying to get Boo from Minsc's quick slot in inventory, heh :question: ;-)

All ways to SIGIL..

Offline jaghla'

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 11:08:13 AM »
The he squeeks, like any normal hamster. We do not hear him speak.

Offline KOFi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 11:14:30 AM »
jaghla': Yeah - he squeeks..
But there is also text, that Boo is running out and Minsc is trying to catch him.. - that's another imagion :question:

All ways to SIGIL..

Offline K'aeloree

• Level 1
    • MSN Messenger - liamlala@nornrock.com
    • View Profile
    • http://emptyminds.net/phorum/
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 11:38:18 PM »
As I said in another thread; this has absolutely no bearing on the mod whatsoever... I just thought it was interesting :D

Offline tempest4

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2006, 10:27:24 AM »
A note on Boo:

If you go to the DnD section of the forum, DnD link topic, and go to the DnD handbook link, then look at the gnome handbook, and check the Tinker gnomes, it mentions the creation of miniature giant space hamsters. So they DO exist in the DnD world.
"Insanity: A perfectly sane response to an insane universe."

Offline Redrake

• God of Frustration
  • Modders
  • Level 4
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - remildragos
    • View Profile
    • A lawyerish website
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2006, 12:53:26 PM »
Quote from: "tempest4"
If you go to the DnD section of the forum, DnD link topic, and go to the DnD handbook link, then look at the gnome handbook, and check the Tinker gnomes, it mentions the creation of miniature giant space hamsters. So they DO exist in the DnD world.

Gnomes are usually quite demented little men. So they might not exist at all. :P

Surrender or be squished!

Offline Silver Shifter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2006, 04:46:04 PM »
As I said... umm somewhere here. Minature Giant Space Hamsters are, according to something I found somewhere, currently known as nothing more than ordinary hamsters, but were indeed created by Gnomes. I believe hey were trying to make Giant Space Hamsters travel size.