Author Topic: What's your favorite alcoholic drink?  (Read 18257 times)

Offline Lord Ernie

• Level 1
    • MSN Messenger - Ask for it
    • View Profile
What's your favorite alcoholic drink?
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2005, 05:24:57 PM »
Quote from: "Princeps"
You do, you do. I'm particularly fond of the strong ales, Theakston Old Peculier, Brakespear Old... I attended a conference in Durham many years ago, had lunch at a pub and discovered they had Old Peculier. I had four pints, went back to the conference and slept through the afternoon sessions like a child. Oh, those happy memories... big grin

While I haven't had any conferences, there were more than a few classes like that. I also remember something involving a few friends of mine, and some joints (I was in the car with them, but didn't smoke myself; not that that helped alot).

The opposite is also true, however: there's nothing like an Advanced Maths class with a hangover.

Quote from: "Mistress Elysia"
*gags* If there is one beer I can't drink, it's Stella (known affectionately as 'Wifebeater' here). It's just fizzy and tastes of nothing but chemicals to me.

While I wouldn't say it's my favourite, I think it's OK, for a lager. And of course, tastier than bitter. As I said,  I'm more of a special beer lover myself. I can recommend a number of Belgian beers that are terrific, but I'm not sure you can even find them in Brittain (I was unable to, in any way). If you'd find some Hoegaarden, Palm, or Duvel, though: I'd recommend it. There's also Leffe, Tongerlo, Grimbergen, Chimay and more than a few others.

I can't drink those continental lagers - they taste and smell of wee to me

Yes, well, I have a particular story about that that I'm not going to tell in here, to keep my reputation from going lower as it is, and making a fool of myself and you right in the process :D.

I do think English beers are probably an aquired taste - they are pretty strong tasting and heavy on the palette. But I likes that, so I do... Wink

Actually, all beers are an acquired taste, or most of them, anyway. There's the few sweet ones (like the Honey Dew you mentioned) that you could drink without having to learn to, but the rest of 'em is acquired. As for the English beers being heavy: pfeh. With us, English beer is known for too things: first, you don't get any foam on top, which is considered a necessity here; and second, it's lukewarm, which is not good.

Ah well, to each and everyone his own, I guess :).

Offline charla

• Level 1
    • View Profile
What's your favorite alcoholic drink?
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2005, 08:16:54 PM »
Cold white wine at a summer picnic.

Generic (*cold*) Beer with mates.

An 8 year old scotch late at night on my birthday.

Straight OP Rum from the bottle over a game of paranoia

4 litre cask of wine finished as i finished civ1 on my amiga

The Napoleon brandy tasted on the lips of my first lover