Author Topic: What's the difference...  (Read 12075 times)

Offline icelus

• Level 1
    • ICQ Messenger - 39176894
    • MSN Messenger - icelus2004@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - icelus1
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - icelus1
    • View Profile
What's the difference...
« on: October 26, 2005, 11:47:35 AM »
... between this and the Banter Pack?  Or, more specifically, why is this mod needed when the Banter Pack already exists and is well-supported?  Were you disappointed at the characterization of one/some of the NPCs?  And, if that's the case, did you not voice you criticism in the Banter Pack forum?
<theacefes> dude im a lesbian
<theacefes> how the fuck am i mormon

Offline Miss Sakaki

• Level 2
    • MSN Messenger - hpowellsmith@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mods.chosenofmystra.net/nathaniel
What's the difference...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 12:07:50 PM »
As I understand it, this isn't a banter mod but a mod which adds new NPC interjections.
Would you give a guy a foot massage? If so, maybe you'd like Nathaniel.

What's a little falsehood between friends? The mysteries of The Luxley Family are soon to be unravelled.

Offline theacefes

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
  • XTREME METAL ROCKER PUNK CHICK WITH ULTRA SURFBOARD
    • MSN Messenger - bohdi2185@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - bohdi2185
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - theacefes@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
    • Email
What's the difference...
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 01:03:22 PM »
No, this is not a banter pack, but more of an interjection pack.  The banter pack was all right, and it added some great content to the game, and I think that the characters were written very nicely.  

However, I do believe, as others do as well, that the NPCs Bioware created were simply not as expanded on or as worked on as they could have been, for whatever reason.

There are many situations in BG2 in which the NPCs do not voice their opinions, or even bring anything up about it after the PC has made a decision.  The banters in the banter pack as well as in the game tend to be only small talk or of relevance to the whole soul stealing and Bhaalspawn stuff.  

I mean, don't you wish that after a PC makes a decision to say, work with Bodhi, that Jaheira would speak up a little later and say, "Hey, <CHARNAME>, honestly I don't think you made a good decision back there, and you should be careful from now on...etc"

More interjections would give the NPCs more voice, and frankly would just add a little more color to the game.
-Ace
NPC Creation Guide - Latest Version
My Music Reels (mod-related and others)

Magical Unicorns - Because ponies are so last year.

theacefes: People probably look at our pictures and think "hmm one admin looks psychotic and the other looks like Captain Picard..."
grimsqueaker: TOGETHER THEY FIGHT CRIME

Offline Tameon the Dragoon

• Level 1
    • View Profile
What's the difference...
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 03:28:55 PM »
Yeah, exactly. I can see how this might be confused with the Banter Pack (one of my favorite mods, actually), but it's not at all that.

The way I see it, this will add more Interjections for both NPC that are joinable and nonjoinable. Maybe some Player-Initiated Dialogues for the NPCs. Also, if we (assuming I'm still on the team...) get around to it, I think that a few quests would be nice, too. Heck, I even got around to thinking of a Minsc or Anomen Friendship. That'd be neat. Or maybe I'm just getting ahead of myself.
She has lived her life hunted and hated. Can you show Kari the compassion she deserves? The Kari the Kobold mod is now in Beta!

Offline Grim Squeaker

• ICQ Messenger - 55616863
    • MSN Messenger - grimsqueaker@hotmail.co.uk
    • AOL Instant Messenger - grimsqueaky
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - grimsqueaky
    • View Profile
What's the difference...
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 04:16:06 PM »
I'm still not seeing how this is outside of the scope of PPG Banter Packs.  Yes, I know the name implies 'just banter' but all it is is little bits of dialogue here and there, be they actual banter or interjections.  As for quests, I'm sure Ding0 is open to new quest ideas.  Player initiated dialogue for the NPCs is another idea that has been discussed a lot at PPG and I'm sure it'll happen once a decent method for implementation has been worked out (it relation to the Flirt Pack).
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

Offline theacefes

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
    • Email
What's the difference...
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 04:32:28 PM »
@Tameon: Of course you're still on the team!  I sent a pm to Revan about having multiple moderators.  

About the PPG thing: Maybe the entire thing didn't install or something or there was a bug but I did not find the banter pack to have that many interjections nor did I find that the banters were really that much more accelerated.  What Tameon, myself, and the rest of the gang are looking at is more along the lines of interjections and friendships with the NPCs.

The flirt pack does not allow for a friendship path really unless you are of the opposite gender from the NPC..plus, only the original romancable NPCs have the flirts.  I mean, wouldn't be so cool to be able to chat with Keldorn or Mazzy or Valygar or anyone else?

It would be wonderful if PPG came up with some improvements on their already great mod, but it's been out for awhile and they haven't yet, plus I mean, if the group of us wants to do this and bring some life into these NPCs, why shouldn't we?
-Ace

theacefes: People probably look at our pictures and think "hmm one admin looks psychotic and the other looks like Captain Picard..."

Offline MajorTomSawyer

• Retired
  • Modders
  • Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Nerds Я Us
What's the difference...
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 07:23:49 PM »
As much as I like the scope of this project, I have to ask.

Why not just work with the cats at PPG on expanding the PPG Banter Pack?
"A good pipe and tobacco will allow you to endure fools, boobs, nitwits, most bosses, angry spouses, (well, maybe not angry spouses), incompetents, slings and arrows, broadsides and people who cut in front of you after you've waited 15 minutes in highway construction zones, and most of life's little problems." - Ted's Pipe Shop

Webmaster of Gaming Nerds Я Us.

Offline Tameon the Dragoon

• Level 1
    • View Profile
What's the difference...
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 07:26:14 PM »
Quote from: "MajorTomSawyer"
As much as I like the scope of this project, I have to ask.

Why not just work with the cats at PPG on expanding the PPG Banter Pack?

I feel rather funny about saying this, but quite frankly, they intimidate me. Terribly. Besides, I think I'm the only one here who didn't immediately think of the Banter Packs when thinking ideas for this mod...
She has lived her life hunted and hated. Can you show Kari the compassion she deserves? The Kari the Kobold mod is now in Beta!

Offline theacefes

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
    • Email
What's the difference...
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 07:54:16 PM »
I was thinking more along the lines of an Interjection Pack..since the banter pack only added banters...but the idea of NPC friendships then surfaced.
-Ace

Offline Lord Kain

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/12483/
    • Email
What's the difference...
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 08:18:36 PM »
i've been pushing this idea sense v1 of the banter packs with no luck but maybe you guys can do it.

I noticed that EVERY SINGLE bioware NPC has something to say about Aerie and the PC's baby. A few like Keldorn and Anomen, Jaheria and Cernd. Say almost the same thing but a intejection still exists.

Execpt for Sarevok he is silent on the matter. I don't buy it.  Especially Chaotic Good Sarevok. At the minium your reformed brother should say something.

Korgan, Viconia and Edwin all say somerthing and there evil.

P.S Let us leave the debate about the baby being born during the course of the game to another topic.
"Who--who are you?"
"Who? Who is but the form following the function of what... and what I am is a man in a mask."
"I can see that"
"Of course you can. I'm not questioning your powers of observation, I'm merely remarking on the paradox of asking a masked man who he is."

Offline theacefes

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
    • Email
What's the difference...
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 08:34:16 PM »
Quote from: "Lord Kain"
P.S Let us leave the debate about the baby being born during the course of the game to another topic.

Of course :)
-Ace

Offline Grim Squeaker

• ICQ Messenger - 55616863
    • MSN Messenger - grimsqueaker@hotmail.co.uk
    • AOL Instant Messenger - grimsqueaky
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - grimsqueaky
    • View Profile
What's the difference...
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 12:22:24 AM »
Like I said above: To my knowledge the banter pack doesn't include interjections at the moment but its not outside of the scope of the mod.  The scope of the mod is making them more talkative.  My advice is still that you collaberate on the already existing mod.
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

Offline SimDing0

• View Profile
What's the difference...
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 01:53:40 AM »
Quote from: "theacefes"
What Tameon, myself, and the rest of the gang are looking at is more along the lines of interjections and friendships with the NPCs.

Interjections are within the scope of the banter pack (indeed, the forum description states "Add new NPC banters and interjections to SOA and TOB"), and if you've got good ideas then I invite you to submit them. I never know what people mean by "friendships" because it's one of those vague terms that every mod seems to claim to include these days, but we've been juggling the idea of expanding the flirt packs to include general click-to-talk dialogue for some time now. And I mentioned the other day on the Quest Pack forum that I'm willing to consider new NPC quests if I think they're interesting enough. I think we've got all bases covered, and as you'll rapidly discover when you try to make this compatible with the Flirt Packs, adding another mod makes things complicated.

It would be wonderful if PPG came up with some improvements on their already great mod, but it's been out for awhile and they haven't yet, plus I mean, if the group of us wants to do this and bring some life into these NPCs, why shouldn't we?

I'm fairly sure the banter pack is one of those projects where anyone can collaborate and offer to provide material. Although they go through substantial editing so anybody who thinks their writing is JUST THAT GREAT THAT IT CAN'T BE IMPROVED probably wouldn't enjoy trying to contribute.

Quote from: "Tameon the Dragoon"
I feel rather funny about saying this, but quite frankly, they intimidate me. Terribly.

Is it something to do with "Kobold." being about the only thing I've ever said in front of you in chat? :(

Offline Colstan

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.123macmini.com
What's the difference...
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2005, 02:43:49 AM »
Quote from: "SimDing0"
Is it something to do with "Kobold." being about the only thing I've ever said in front of you in chat? :(

You can come play with me anytime you want Simmy. Mr. T may find you intimidating but I think you're a barrel of fun pickles. Ha!

Colstan

Offline Zyraen

• Level 2
    • MSN Messenger - zyraen@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
What's the difference...
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 02:48:08 AM »
Quote from: "SimDing0"
Quote from: "Tameon the Dragoon"
I feel rather funny about saying this, but quite frankly, they intimidate me. Terribly.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if that were the case, Sim :)

I'm not sure, but I don't find the PPGers that intimidating after a while. That being said though, around them you have to take criticism right (or you'll probably get uberly pissed and go stomping off somewhere)... whereas if you stick it out on your own, you get more freedom. But if you guys like criticisms and can run on them to improve, it should be cool. Bear in mind of course that views on NPCs can vary quite a lot...the most civil way at times is simply to agree to disagree.

Oh yeah, about this Mod, I can provide a list of interjections I've used at various times or others for BTL :) it should come in very handy, though it's largely SoA...
SoAVer
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps and redistribution, and more.