Author Topic: Well Done  (Read 6384 times)

Offline Vappour

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Well Done
« on: October 17, 2005, 02:24:27 PM »
Truly excellent work.  You've managed to create another Drow character that fully rivals Viconia (my absolute favorite NPC).  She says many of the same things I would expect to hear from Viconia but is much more low key and just...different.  She really gives me a sense that she's a bit lost and perhaps somewhat culture shocked -- something that V should do more but doesn't.  I've only just started a game with her (and Saerileth too), so this judgment is kind of preliminary (I've already finished a game with only Saerileth).   Many thanks for this.

Edit:  Come to think of it, I actually had a question.  The NPC Keldorn (Palladin) is a racist re Drow and will attack Viconia without provocation (although he does give a day's warning).  Does anybody know if the same thing is true with Yasraena?

Offline Sillara

• Retired Modder
  • Level 2
    • MSN Messenger - gilalion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sk8pilmp
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - charisariel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gilalion.com
    • Email
Well Done
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 04:14:39 PM »
Thank you for the compliments.   :D  :D   We tried.  We did put a good deal of work into Yasraena, so I am glad that you enjoy her.  I like Viconia myself, but she is just too evil for me.

Slight Spoiler*****

He dislikes Yasraena at first, but, being able to detect evil, he has to give Yasraena a break.  She is not evil.

Sillara
Can you accept a necromancer? Can you trust a murderer? Can you love Tsujatha?
If you like Tsujatha, you should read his novels.
Natha ssin'urn lu' dwalc ilythiiri noamuth wund l' rivven: Yasraena zhah ghil!
Saerileth's bounty is as boundless as the sea; the more  she gives to you, the more she has, for her love is infinite.

Offline Vappour

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Well Done
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 08:23:17 AM »
Re Viconia, she is evil, yes, but not EVIL -- if you know what I mean (as opposed to Kizer in ToB or Bohdi, Mae'Var, etc.).  Evil characters like hers (and perhaps Edwin) have two basic deficiencies, in my opinion.  First, they lack empathy (that's why they can't understand why your PC frees slaves, prisoners, helps people, etc.).  Secondly, they are, for want of a better word, stupid.  They can't see the financial advantages (prices at vendors) that come with a good rep and, even more importantly, the fact that people are more willing to help your PC with information, advice, etc. if you are good (as opposed to giving you ONLY what you need strictly out of fear).  Viconia is a product of a brutal environment, and I think her story arc (SoA and ToB together) is the best in the game (especially if the PC gets her to change her alignment).  Her "where are they now" at the end of the game is particulary poignant to me.  (And didn't she get in her outcast situation by hesitating to sacrifice a baby?).  Yasraena, a product of the same envronment, generally seems to expect very little good from "surfacers"; she seems to consider herself a liability to the party and always expects the worst (i.e. trouble for the party because she's a Drow).  She's even quite surprised when my PC compliments her on her beauty (by the fire at night when she takes off her armor and wears a particular dress).   I REALLY like the way you have her gradually opening up about her past life and her current state of mind as she begins to trust my PC.  Very, very well done.

And last, but not least, both Yasraena and Saerileth can truly kick buttocks (as Minsc might say)!  Once I upgrade certain items of their equipment, they make NPC's like Jaheira and Mazzy (even Keldorn and Minsc for that matter) look pretty sad.

Offline Julia

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Well Done
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 05:04:20 PM »
Hey, I just wanted to say I loved the mod, excellent job! It's been a great time with Yasraena, I loved the banters, voice, storyline and how it all went (don't want to spoil anything), thanks for the entertainment! ;)