Author Topic: suggestions for kindrek  (Read 12673 times)

Offline nethrin

• Retired Modder
  • Level 3
    • MSN Messenger - gilalion@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gilalion.com
    • Email
suggestions for kindrek
« on: April 06, 2005, 07:10:53 PM »
if you have any suggestions for the next kindrek release, or if you think I have overlooked something, please let me know.

Offline Dragon Lord

• Level 1
    • View Profile
suggestions for kindrek
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 09:50:28 AM »
Can you make his armor/Disruptor upgradeable? It would take out the monotony of having the same unchangeable equipment.
I grow tired of shouting battle cries when fighting this mage. Boo will finish his eyeballs once and for all, so he does not rise again! Evil, meet my sword! SWORD, MEET EVIL!!
                                                       -Minsc

Sometimes, people are said to have a Dragon inside. For Drake, it's true.

My Weird Songs
My MySpace

Offline nethrin

• Retired Modder
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Email
suggestions for kindrek
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 03:15:24 PM »
good idea, but undroppable equipment cannot be upgraded!   :cry:

Offline Slumlord

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - slumlord523
    • View Profile
suggestions for kindrek
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 05:18:21 PM »
Then how about a bunch of different undroppable two-handed weapons.

Disruptor
Spear
Two-handed sword
Quarter-staff

Just makes for more ways to introduce mages to the Grim Reaper.
Merry Christmas an' Happy New Year to ya!

Offline Deathsangel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/fanaticfantasyfan/index.html
suggestions for kindrek
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 05:20:58 AM »
I think you can nethrin. You have to take away the item through script (TakeItem(*insert item name*) will override I believe undroppable issues) and then give a totally new item (which is the upgrade) to Kindrek.
Do you find it hard to be a real villian in BG2. Missing evil quests. Wondering what happens to cargo of Black Lotus? Check out my mod in progress: Mod for the Wicked http://www.geocities.com/fanaticfantasyfan/index.html or it's forum at Spellhold Studios under IE mods in progress/Mod for the Wicked.

Offline Sillara

• Retired Modder
  • Level 2
    • MSN Messenger - gilalion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sk8pilmp
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - charisariel
    • View Profile
    • Email
suggestions for kindrek
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 05:31:00 AM »
Is it not hard-to-impossible to create items in the quick slots, however?  That is the most awkward bit.

Sillara
Can you accept a necromancer? Can you trust a murderer? Can you love Tsujatha?
If you like Tsujatha, you should read his novels.
Natha ssin'urn lu' dwalc ilythiiri noamuth wund l' rivven: Yasraena zhah ghil!
Saerileth's bounty is as boundless as the sea; the more  she gives to you, the more she has, for her love is infinite.

Offline Deathsangel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
suggestions for kindrek
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 07:27:41 AM »
No, or at least it shouldn't. There is a command that immedialty puts in the quickslot EquipItem() or something...
Do you find it hard to be a real villian in BG2. Missing evil quests. Wondering what happens to cargo of Black Lotus? Check out my mod in progress: Mod for the Wicked http://www.geocities.com/fanaticfantasyfan/index.html or it's forum at Spellhold Studios under IE mods in progress/Mod for the Wicked.

Offline nethrin

• Retired Modder
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Email
suggestions for kindrek
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 10:29:20 AM »
yeah, that's all well and good, but the quickslot is *not* the weapon slot.

Offline Deathsangel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
suggestions for kindrek
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2005, 04:29:28 AM »
From IESDP

11 EquipItem(S:Object*)
Should equip the item, however I have not tried this action yet. I will test it in a script and update if it does not work.It is probably not a good idea to script this as it might destroy whatever else is presently equipped I will find out tonight and.

IF
 HasItem("Sw1h01",Myself)
 !HasItemEquipedReal("Sw1h01",Myself)
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
    Equip("Sw1h01",Myself)
END

After testing I believe the Equip action is broken the above script does not work, I have also tried about 4 other scripts with no effect. I will test some more on this and post results if anyone else has more info please post.

UPDATE ON THE ACTION EQUIPITEM : It does work for weapons, you just need to have them in the quickslot to be equipped.

and

258 FillSlot(I:Slot*SLOTS)
This action will attempt to fill a slot in a character's inventory with the appropriate item type. Using FillSlot(SLOT_WEAPON) will look for any items (let's use, SW1H01, for example) in the inventory, and move the first it comes across into the weapon slot. This is a dangerous function because it will not check whether or not an item already exists in the slot. This means that an item already in the slot would be destroyed.

258 seems to be able to put it in a slot so that Kindrek uses it whereas if the script does go wrong and the weapon ends up in a quickslot you can use script 11.

Offline Lord Kain

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/12483/
    • Email
suggestions for kindrek
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 12:17:50 AM »
yeah spells will often equip and "item" such a flaming sword or shocking grasp.
"Who--who are you?"
"Who? Who is but the form following the function of what... and what I am is a man in a mask."
"I can see that"
"Of course you can. I'm not questioning your powers of observation, I'm merely remarking on the paradox of asking a masked man who he is."

Offline Imrahil

• View Profile
suggestions for kindrek
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2005, 06:59:32 PM »
Just finished up a game with Kindrek (using v2.1 b/c I like his "original" concept better & I just go to ShadowKeeper during Spellhold & remove the 2 Affects that Hold him - is there really no way other than a spell to remove Affects from a character?) & noticed a few things, mostly suggestions, but some buggy stuff as well...

- the first time he leveled up after joining the party, I got a message that all his Saving Throws were "reduced by -4"; not that Saving Throws are a big deal, except apparently for Fear/Poison effects

- after CHARNAME's forced Slayer change, Kindrek's reaction appears to come from CHARNAME (that is, CHARNAME's picture is in the dialogue window along with text that Kindrek is saying)

- any way of having him not destroy Blackrazor?  if he's in the #2 slot in the party, you have to immediately pause & have him run away from the demon who gives it to you in order to keep him from receiving it

- Kindrek can be affected by the Rod of Resurrection, to heal him while he's still alive

- Prenash's soldiers all wear equipment that say "...worn by Balthazar's Mercenaries" - not a big deal, but I guess you could always copy the items & alter the descriptions

- this may have been expanded in the latest version, but I was expecting some sort of satisfaction/gloating from Kindrek after Prenash was killed

- now that he destroys any magic items you give him, how about freeing up some of his inventory slots?  the only possible abuse I could see is giving him a bow of some sort, but since he can only get 1 star in ranged weapons, probably not a big deal - it'd make him stand out as a MOD less if his slots weren't all filled with unremoveable items

- I know this isn't the right place for it, but this doesn't deserve its own thread: in one of the Tsujatha-Yasraena banters in CMBP, Tsujatha says "At *leats* such a woman..." (in the "I'm surprised you stay with CHARNAME..." banter)

- Imrahil

Offline nethrin

• Retired Modder
  • Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Email
suggestions for kindrek
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2005, 09:34:40 PM »
Quote from: "Imrahil"
- the first time he leveled up after joining the party, I got a message that all his Saving Throws were "reduced by -4"; not that Saving Throws are a big deal, except apparently for Fear/Poison effects

weird.
- after CHARNAME's forced Slayer change, Kindrek's reaction appears to come from CHARNAME (that is, CHARNAME's picture is in the dialogue window along with text that Kindrek is saying)

will look into that.
- any way of having him not destroy Blackrazor?  if he's in the #2 slot in the party, you have to immediately pause & have him run away from the demon who gives it to you in order to keep him from receiving it

no problem.  will make sure he doesn't destroy it.
- Kindrek can be affected by the Rod of Resurrection, to heal him while he's still alive

not sure if there's anything I can do about that...
- Prenash's soldiers all wear equipment that say "...worn by Balthazar's Mercenaries" - not a big deal, but I guess you could always copy the items & alter the descriptions

I'll alter that.
- this may have been expanded in the latest version, but I was expecting some sort of satisfaction/gloating from Kindrek after Prenash was killed

I think he gloats in the current version, but I'll check that again.
- now that he destroys any magic items you give him, how about freeing up some of his inventory slots?  the only possible abuse I could see is giving him a bow of some sort, but since he can only get 1 star in ranged weapons, probably not a big deal - it'd make him stand out as a MOD less if his slots weren't all filled with unremoveable items

will do.

Offline Morken

• View Profile
Kindrek needs serious aid
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 07:32:45 PM »
I installed the mod, shadowkeepered my Fighter/mage/thief into a fighter/thief, zoned into the city gates and sure enough, Kindrek was there and joined.
Then, I shadowkeepered back to F/M/T and Kindrek immediately says "You've become a mage" and hostiles.
He does not tolerate part mages.

Observations:
) From a powergamers view, this is the weakest and most uninteresting NPC.
Crap AC, few options for equipment
His only upside as dispelling hit and resistance DONT make up
He, to the common community appears as "15 yr old weenie macho 1 dimensional violence mod". I mean, that may not be true, but it would appear that way to many people on first glance.
Despite this, I think he has potential.
Why is he a bezerker and not a wizard slayer type?
The whole character appears implausible and cardboard
The reasonings behind his non remove items are a bit thin
His 'soul' appears karu-tur but this is never explored.
In fact his whole previous life is not gone into, he is, clearly underdeveloped.
His character is actually Lawful (he acts on principles, the SAME way over n over,  rather than whims)
Why the hell does he even want to associate with the PC? Why hasnt he joined the guard?
Why doesnt he say anything about the cowled wizards who almost run the town?
Why doesnt he comment bout that magic fight in Waukeens?
His 'beer' thing in inventory seems out of character, or a weak attempt to give him the cheapie hard-drinking hard-bitten character.
The lover's ring also appears a cheap attempt at a soul.
He ain't no tank, has to wimp out of any creature with 'effects on hit' even a ghast might hold him. Talks tough but must back off.

Suggestions:
Since he is so 'different', a 7 foot tall combat monster, change his sprite avatar.
The deathknight, gnoll (with halberd), orogsprites,  seem right.
I mean, if he is a combat monster, he should look like one, not a wimpy human
Just alter his stats/inventory to fit the sprite (as they never change with gear)

Give him a proper story conception
Maybe he was once a Karatur soldier who is now the failed magic experiment of a mad wizards (Irenicus?)
attempt to make a super soldier (Kindrek sounds just like a Russian-military type).
Maybe he is now 'golem-ish' and is actually welded to his armour.
Maybe after the failed experiment, his aura actually wrecks magic items (he doesnt have to hate em)
Maybe he has heard of the famous protagonist (a bhaalspawn and planeswalker) and somehow hopes that he will be lead into a way back to his Karatur human form (he HAS got a ring from a past lover).
Maybe he is after Irenicus also.
If you're gonna stick him with shit AC, give him higher CON or something, he looks tough, talks tough, but cant stand the heat.

With tactics or harder encounters, which I imagine most vets use, and with the heavy sacrifice of power guys like Kelsey or Tashia, the player is up shit creek with Kindrek who DOESNT cut it for power.
How the Hell can you beat the harder Bodhi or Torgal with him?
Powergamers go with the mages (the need the projected image with Mordy sword), 'roleplayers' wont even give Kindrek more than 10 minutes after his initial encounter- I mean, the guy is standing at the city gates and says 'do you do a lot of killing' without even alluding to the protagonists famous past.

I would see:
 Kindrek become a Wizard slayer (only magic weapons + armour), remove his destroy magic items quality
replaced with a hatred of Wizards only.
Give him a couple of innate dispel magics/truesight daily.
Change his sprite to ic-Orog1.
Fill his weapon slots with 4 sprite matching weapons (shortsword for orog-1), each with different 'powers'.
ie- 1 might dispel on hits, another may have a reach of 5, another may heal with hits, another may do +10 versus summoned
Don't make it a halberd as then he can't use the shield.
Give him a no-remove necklace with no description that makes him immune to poison or maybe free action as Kindrek is very vulnerable to 'effects'. Regen just ain't enough.
I think he needs immunity to everything to make up for his weakness and the huge penalty he makes on the party (stun, sleep, psionics EVERYTHING).

Kindrek is underpowered, un-configurable, undersouled, 1 dimensional

Offline Sillara

• Retired Modder
  • Level 2
    • MSN Messenger - gilalion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sk8pilmp
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - charisariel
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kindrek needs serious aid
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 06:01:01 PM »
Quote from: "Morken"

Kindrek is underpowered, un-configurable, undersouled, 1 dimensional

I think that you are mistaken, both in Kindrek's background and in his purpose.  He is meant to be one-dimensional, you know.  And he is not meant to be a "balanced" or "power-gaming" party member.  He is meant to present a challenge (no sorcerors, no PC mage, no single-classed mages, etc.), with a bit of a bonus or reward for the challenge (all mage and/or lich battles are cake).

I will stop here, as I am extremely biased, both in favor of this mod and of the modder who created it.

Sillara
Can you accept a necromancer? Can you trust a murderer? Can you love Tsujatha?
If you like Tsujatha, you should read his novels.
Natha ssin'urn lu' dwalc ilythiiri noamuth wund l' rivven: Yasraena zhah ghil!
Saerileth's bounty is as boundless as the sea; the more  she gives to you, the more she has, for her love is infinite.

Offline SuperNovice

• View Profile
Re: Kindrek needs serious aid
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 06:16:26 PM »
Quote from: "Morken"

Maybe he was once a Karatur soldier who is now the failed magic experiment of a mad wizards (Irenicus?)
attempt to make a super soldier (Kindrek sounds just like a Russian-military type).
Maybe he is now 'golem-ish' and is actually welded to his armour.
Maybe after the failed experiment, his aura actually wrecks magic items (he doesnt have to hate em)

I actually like Kindrek as is but this description sounds like a cool start to a new NPC.

The NPC could gradually gain physical stats and resistances but lose mental abilities as he becomes more and more 'golem-ish' with the ultimate goal being to cure him. Neat idea...