Author Topic: Reviews of the Saerileth Mod  (Read 78432 times)

Offline charla

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Reviews of the Saerileth Mod
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2005, 12:51:49 AM »
possible spoilers below

Well, I finally got to ToB but I am not sure if i got everything out of the Saeri mod I should have. I suspect the bugs killed a bit of the flow for me. I don't know what intoduced them or if it's the author's fault as I tend to horde mods to alter the game as much as possible from vanilla BG2.

I really loved the voice acting and characterisation, as well as the Shakespearean language. Going back to Sigil was marvellous, and i liked the development in her when she realises justice must be tempered with mercy. As always, i regret the hard coding of only a few companions so it's awkward to swap characters about as i would have liked to hear more of how she reacted to the other npc's. I wish Bioware or whoever now owns the code would open source the game if they aren't going to develop it any further.

9/10

If I had the resources, I would alter this mod so that the protagonist could argue with both Viconia and Saerilith, to keep Viconia as a friend and make Saeri see that evil can sometimes be redeeemed. Viconia needs to learn how to be friends with women and men, not just use them, or be used by them. Saeri needs to learn forgiveness of the sinners, and Viccie is a good place to start. Religious arguments between the two could be interesting.

I can't see her turning to Tyr, but perhaps Eilistraee ... certainly, seeing Viccie moved beyond her comfort zone of Shar (who to me seems the goddess of despair) would be interesting, as would the taunts Viconia could give Saeri if she did convert... after all, Viconia is the opposite of Saeri in terms of experience and inhibition, and whilst Eilistraee is a kind goddess, she is also a sensual one.

Oh well, just a dream. Anyone know if it's easy to make a mod that triggers an alignment change and alters the post ToB ending? Obviously the conversation would require a lot of work, and voice acting would have to be skipped over.

Offline Feanor

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2005, 03:42:05 AM »
Two observations I have to make :

I really loved the voice acting and characterisation, as well as the Shakespearean language

In Forgotten Realms, is the cormanthyran language. The language spoken by Saerileth is the human tongue spoken during the final age of Cormanthyr Empire, after the fall of Netheril. This is when Tyr came to Toril and that is why Saeri uses this old form.

If I had the resources, I would alter this mod so that the protagonist could argue with both Viconia and Saerilith, to keep Viconia as a friend and make Saeri see that evil can sometimes be redeeemed. Viconia needs to learn how to be friends with women and men, not just use them, or be used by them. Saeri needs to learn forgiveness of the sinners, and Viccie is a good place to start. Religious arguments between the two could be interesting.

I can't see her turning to Tyr, but perhaps Eilistraee ... certainly, seeing Viccie moved beyond her comfort zone of Shar (who to me seems the goddess of despair) would be interesting, as would the taunts Viconia could give Saeri if she did convert... after all, Viconia is the opposite of Saeri in terms of experience and inhibition, and whilst Eilistraee is a kind goddess, she is also a sensual one.

This would mean radically altering a Bioware NPC and this is beyond the purpose of Saerileth mod.
Real sucks, Barca rules !

I like Real only when it plays in Segunda Division !

It is said that Mount Celestia is a place of perfection. None else than Saerileth could have been the symbol of its splendor.

Offline charla

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2005, 04:58:14 AM »
oh well, i did say it was off topic   :)

Is it possible to mod a mod? In other words, technically speaking, if i knew the scripting language, could i make those changes, given time and inclination?

Offline Lord Ernie

• Level 1
    • MSN Messenger - Ask for it
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2005, 05:26:49 AM »
Easily enough, yes. Technically, it's easier to mod a mod than to mod the game, since the mod is already in Weidu. You'd have to know which dailogues to change, but that's not that hard.

Offline charla

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2005, 09:35:46 AM »
Well, I finished ToB and chose mortality so that I could be with her. As a paladin, i felt a bit conflicted ( a paladin has to choose duty over family relationships, and being a god means fighting the baddies on a bigger scale) but there was no way i was going to leave her weeping for all eternity, and i figured, what the heck, maybe in the afterlife we'll get to visit all the places she mentioned.

A beautiful mod, rich in atmosphere, with extensive dialogues/interjections and voice acting, which always increases the emotional content. Plus it had a return to Sigil, which makes this old planescape veteran very happy.

I'll try it again one day and have few other mods (maybe there's a recommended list?) so that i don't get the lockups hopefully.

I just wish there was a bg3 where you get to tour the planes. There's a lot of stuff in the new rule books dealing with characters of exactly the level/power range they are post ToB. (Provided you don't do the xp cheat.)

Ah well, looks like Bioware has invested in the never winter night's style, which i just can't get into. I actually emailled them and asked if they'd open source the old baldur's gate product sometime, if they are abandoning it, but I haven't got an answer, alas.

Just an aside, ToB is so grim! It needs more mods just so you can get away from the impending doom feeling of the module. More exploding chickens, or bees in the bonnet sorta thing.
I will try the yasraena mod soon. Thanks again for Saerilith!  :-o

Offline nethrin

• Retired Modder
  • Level 3
    • MSN Messenger - gilalion@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gilalion.com
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2005, 06:46:19 AM »
thanks for the favorable review.

Offline DragonMaster

• Level 1
    • MSN Messenger - redneck1st
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - redneck_1st@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2006, 05:30:59 AM »
Quote from: "Mightysword"
Quote from: "nethrin"
Quote from: "Moongaze"
I'm 20 years old, and my girlfriend is 13 years old.

:shock:

oh well, in America 13 is considered "teen"  :ninja:

Yes but also in America there is a thing Called "Jail bait" and "Statutory Rape" Neither one of these are good things.

DragonMaster

Offline DragonMaster

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2006, 05:36:34 AM »
Quote from: "Lord Ernie"
Easily enough, yes. Technically, it's easier to mod a mod than to mod the game, since the mod is already in Weidu. You'd have to know which dailogues to change, but that's not that hard.

That was easy for you to say. LOL I've got a hard enough time making weapons and armour to use in the game.  :D

But now as for the Mod itself I'll have to admit it's one well written mod. Great interjections; though I wish there were more with her and some of the other NPCs but than again thats just me.

And I found out that in Version 10 she can no longer use the Ring of Gaxx. And I like the protections and regen for her. Guess I'll have to add the ability to her Armour I made for her. :D

Keep up the great work on this mode. Wonder if your going to be doing a version 11. :D

Thanks

DragonMaster

Offline nethrin

• Retired Modder
  • Level 3
    • MSN Messenger - gilalion@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2006, 11:16:14 PM »
the only reason for a version 11 will be for bugfixes and typos.  and, the ring of gaxx thing--well, it's an evil artifact, so that's obvious...

Offline DragonMaster

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2006, 06:46:40 PM »
the only reason for a version 11 will be for bugfixes and typos.  and, the ring of gaxx thing--well, it's an evil artifact, so that's obvious...

Well as for the ring it's understandable. I'll just have to add the regen ability to her armor. Great mod and I love it.

Thanks

DragonMaster

Offline Ishel

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2006, 05:47:37 AM »
Wow. This little piece of code is just blowing me away. Perfect voice acting, beautiful portrait and a great character. I never really liked romances in the original game, so I wasn't planning on romancing Saerileth either. My current character is a rather mean (though good) bountyhunter. Everytime she speaks to him, I hover above the not-so-nice answer for about 40 seconds, only to give in and say something nice after all. I'm so weak  :D

Seriously, good job  :)

Offline Sillara

• Retired Modder
  • Level 2
    • MSN Messenger - gilalion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sk8pilmp
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - charisariel
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2006, 05:44:46 AM »
Quote from: "Ishel"
Wow. This little piece of code is just blowing me away. Perfect voice acting, beautiful portrait and a great character. I never really liked romances in the original game, so I wasn't planning on romancing Saerileth either. My current character is a rather mean (though good) bountyhunter. Everytime she speaks to him, I hover above the not-so-nice answer for about 40 seconds, only to give in and say something nice after all. I'm so weak  :D

Thank you!  We tried.

(And especially thanks on the voice-acting compliment.  Saeri was really hard to voice!)

Sillara
Can you accept a necromancer? Can you trust a murderer? Can you love Tsujatha?
If you like Tsujatha, you should read his novels.
Natha ssin'urn lu' dwalc ilythiiri noamuth wund l' rivven: Yasraena zhah ghil!
Saerileth's bounty is as boundless as the sea; the more  she gives to you, the more she has, for her love is infinite.

Offline DragonMaster

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2006, 06:27:30 PM »
Quote from: "Ishel"

I couldn't agree with you more here on this. I don't usually do the romance part but figured that I would give this one a try and see how it played out. And I will have to admit that it's great so far. Just got out of spellhold and I'm working through WK since I had to go there to take care of Kesevar.

I'm looking forward to playing this all the way throgh Bhaal and I've not played that part of the game in ages. LOL

Thanks for the great mod and look forward to more of them.  Now if you could only fix the conflict between the Weimer Tatics mod and this one I would be forever greatful.  :D

DragonMaster

Offline Lord Kain

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/12483/
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2006, 11:30:19 PM »

The ring of gaxx likly has a larger evil aura then blackrazor.
"Who--who are you?"
"Who? Who is but the form following the function of what... and what I am is a man in a mask."
"I can see that"
"Of course you can. I'm not questioning your powers of observation, I'm merely remarking on the paradox of asking a masked man who he is."

Offline DragonMaster

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2006, 01:29:23 AM »
Quote from: "Lord Kain"

The ring of gaxx likly has a larger evil aura then blackrazor.

Well that could be true there. Never thought about it that way.

DragonMaster