Author Topic: The Chosen of Mystra Mod Group History  (Read 8658 times)

Offline Solaufein

• Lord of the Realms
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
  • Man against the Machine
    • ICQ Messenger - 251194643
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - gscott7833
    • View Profile
    • http://teambg.net
The Chosen of Mystra Mod Group History
« on: April 11, 2005, 03:54:18 PM »
CoM history taken from the old board.

Solaufein

I keep forgetting to start this post but now I remembered. A little background info on us and what brought us into modding the IE games. Once this is completed I'll move it out into the general forum.

Baldur's Gate 1 was my second PC game I ever bought on my first computer which was a few weeks old at the time. I bought BG1 because it reminded my of the good old days of PnP. I found the TeamBG site shortly after Ken made it. I believe my first "mod" tool I got was the character/creature controller.

I started to make some crude but workable items later on. Soon mods were coming out but not ones that I wanted. So I decided to create this mod team and I studied and became familiar with other things besides an item maker and team leader. I started to make creatures, dialogs, areas, scripts and everything else but spells. Never could get into making spells.

I made our first mod for Icewind Dale within a week called Prject Auril and have been working on three other mods we have in development.
My mods:
Dark Horizons
The Undying
Nikita
IWD2 store

Co-contributor:
Dark Side of the Sword Coast BG1 Weidu
Aurils Bane
Encounters
Saerileth
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Offline Raven

• Miriam's sane half
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
  • Like Awesome!
    • View Profile
    • Vampire Tales
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 03:55:15 PM »
Myself (Gabrielle)

My modding history is rather brief.

I began to get involved shortly after Baldur's Gate 2 came out. I wanted to make some killer weapons and other equipment for my characters. I went to TeamBG and downloaded IEEP and read the tutorials on how to use it. Thus began my item making career.

I have made items for Project Auril, the upcoming mods The Undying, Daughter of the Drow and Return to the North. I have made soundsets for Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale 2.
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Offline Dark_Poet

• Retired Modder
    • View Profile
    • DarkPoet
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 03:56:22 PM »

Not much to tell really. I started after I stopped playing EverQuest with a real bloodlust for the old PnP days. I had played BG before that on my laptop back before A friend showed me a world of online gaming. Well I stumbled upon TeamBG while looking for a patch for BG. So I started reading blah blah and started to play around with the editors. I didn't even know BG2, or IWD1 was even out because all I cared about was EverQuest. I bought those soon after and started messing around with them too. However I knew the games could be better.

So after a long time editing off and on I eventually was asked by Melkor to join CoM. The rest is obvious.

Offline Grog

• The Absentminded Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Auril's Bane
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 03:56:50 PM »

Let's see:

A couple of my friends from work had been talking about this new game that had come out was just great (of course I'm talking about BG1), So after about two weeks of them talking I picked up a copy and fell in love with the game (not literally, that would just be gross *grin*).

I first got into modding when, after playing for a while my mage stopped gaining XP, I wanted to know why. Of course, like all men, I didn't read all the instructions...

Anyway, I slowly went through all the phases of custom making. You know the first phase: "Ooh, a +9 weapon, wouldn't that be great". Well, ok, not that bad but you get the idea. Then I progressed in my modding skill, ideas, and theories, to where I'm at today. Wait, that'd be here wouldn't it. :)

Cheers,

Your incredible, edible Grog
"Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward."  - Victor Kiam

Offline nethrin

• Retired Modder
  • Level 3
    • MSN Messenger - gilalion@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gilalion.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 03:57:20 PM »

well, I started using CoM because sillara was already using it with tsujatha.  I watched her as she made the mod, and as tsujatha progressed, I thought, *I'd sure like to do a mod, too.*  so I threw kindrek together in about a week and got him hosted here at CoM.  I like to use NI and InfExp for most of my modding needs.  since kindrek, sillara and I worked together to make the yasraena mod.  then I participated in PPG's one-day NPC bruceday competition and created my willie bruce mod.  now sillara and I are enjoying the popularity of the saerileth mod (which isn't even finished yet!).  as you all can tell, I really enjoy making NPCs....CoM's a great forum, and I enjoy being here.  peace.

Offline Sillara

• Retired Modder
  • Level 2
    • MSN Messenger - gilalion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sk8pilmp
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - charisariel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gilalion.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 03:58:06 PM »

Just over a year ago, I decided I wanted to make an NPC mod, Tsujatha.  I asked around a couple of places about hosting, and CoM was the first, quickest, and kindest to respond.  I took them up on it, and I have been here ever since.  :happyelf:  I was particularly happy to join because CoM was willing to host me even though I knew absolutely NOTHING about modding.  It took me six months to finish the Tsujatha SoA romance.  After that, things were much easier.  I finished the ToB portion for Tsujatha, and then I joined up with nethrin for Yasraena and Saerileth.

The modding tools I like are InfExp and NI.  InfExp helps me put in interjections, and I use NI for pretty much everything else. :wink:

CoM is my favorite forum because of its kind, laid-back attitude and because of the helpfulness of the staff.  I was therefore quite proud to be made a moderator here.

Thanks to all of you who come here for making CoM the great forum that it is!

Sillara
Can you accept a necromancer? Can you trust a murderer? Can you love Tsujatha?
If you like Tsujatha, you should read his novels.
Natha ssin'urn lu' dwalc ilythiiri noamuth wund l' rivven: Yasraena zhah ghil!
Saerileth's bounty is as boundless as the sea; the more  she gives to you, the more she has, for her love is infinite.

Offline Mistress Elysia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • http://mistresselysia.deviantart.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 03:58:50 PM »

Okay!  :D

First - thanks for everyones support over the last year  :wink:

I first came here following Sillara and Tsujatha - I had toyed with the idea of making Fade into a mod NPC for about 6 months before I plucked up the courage to pitch my idea here. I decided to host Fade here because it was so friendly (less ego, more community!) I also met Silmarien here, and she has stuck with me through thick and thin. Although Sil does most of the coding, I do use InfExp and (grudgingly... we don't get on!!  :lol: ) NI for interjection writing etc.

I'm absolutely chuffed to nuts to be made a moderator here!

Offline TL

• Retired Modder
    • ICQ Messenger - 2801771
    • View Profile
    • TL's Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 04:35:12 AM »
On the mod Legend of the Clawhammer Clan:
Item creation
Spell creation

Background: Very little is known about the being who calls himself "The Burning Wizard". Its past is shroud in mystery just like the flames covering its entire body. Few individuals know who this being may actually be, and none seem to be talking. All attempts at divination on this subject seem to have failed as well. The reasoning behind the being's flame enshrouded body as well as its motives are still unknown, though it has been reported to be working with other individuals on some projects. Only time will tell if it will be known who this being is and what its true motivations are."
Nindyn vel'uss kyorl nind ratha thalra elghinn dal lil alust. Khaless nau uss mzild taga dosstan.

Offline Penta Spellstrike

• Wood Nymph
  • Retired Modder
    • ICQ Messenger - 104120649
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The History of the Chosen of Mystra Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 06:45:14 AM »

Story background
Dialog writer
Background

In Penta's words
Personality: Penta
Nationality: Dutch

The "Artist" Currently Known As Penta is in fact a Dutch young woman by the name of Wietske, who has not been a roleplayer for ages- but as soon as the first title of the BG series came out, plunged into it with heart, body and soul. Now I am a player of online D&D (play-by-mail), CRPG and tabletop. When time allows I'm also a student and Tymora willing, I'll have m Classical Studies degree in about 2 years..."
"You don't have to follow me! You're all individuals!"
- "WE'RE ALL INDIVIDUALS!"
- "I'm not..."

Offline Iconius Rathmor

• Retired Modder
    • ICQ Messenger - 122172026
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 06:45:37 AM »

NPC creation
Kit creation
Background

Jeff (Iconius Rathmor)

Jeff has been roleplaying for more than 15 of his 25 years of life. Started with the original Greyhawk adventures and has played almost every game system made. His love for the computer versions of Dungeons and Dragons began with the Gold Box Series and has continued with the Baldur's Gate Series. Jeff began editing almost a year ago and has decided to make programming his life's work. He is currently working towards a Computer Science/Software Engineering degree.

Offline Redrake

• God of Frustration
  • Modders
  • Level 4
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - remildragos
    • View Profile
    • A lawyerish website
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 09:40:22 PM »
I first encountered the IE games in the winter of 2000-2001. My brother was playing for some time Planscape Torment and IWD, so I decided to give it a try. I was amazed, by IWD especially. For a long time I played only the original game (no internet connection at that time), until in 2002 I discovered BIS boards. With it came Teambg and some rudimentary mods which allowed mages to learn level 8-9 spells and remove XP cap.

I didn't got into modding until the spring of 2004 when I managed to get my hands on BG1&BG2. In BG2:SoA my character at that time (a paladin) hit the XP cap before finishing the game. I was angry, so I decided to try and adapt the XP cap removal mod for IWD to BG2. To my amazement it worked, although I had to create the barbarian and sorcerer by myself. I didn't learn much about modding IE games until I registered on CoM in september 2004. Later on, I used various tools to edit items, mostly for my own games, but in the end I decided to make them for IWD in a mod. I also began about a year and a half ago to work on an IWD2 UB, fixing several quests, but that project was pretty much abandoned.

Cheers

Surrender or be squished!

Offline Bardess

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 05:27:24 AM »
I'm currently one of the youngest and newest IE modders, but, hey, it's not my fault that I was born late. My name is Jovana and I hail from the faraway kingdom land of Serbia.

My older brother is the "guilty" one for me discovering the IE games. The first one I ever played was BG2, in 2002. I got access to the fine mods a few years since. I had wanted someone to make me an appropriate badguy romance, but the ones that existed, although good, weren't exactly the image of my favorite made-up character . Still, I didn't dare think I could ever make a mod.

Until I got a better Internet connection, improved my English, explored the forums more and realized there were many helpful people there, along with all the tutorials. I guess what drove me most to start the NPC mod Fiars was the disappointment with another OC NPC from a certain game...
And when the fine staff from the CoM allowed me to build up my little nest here, I was incredibly happy.

I'm also writing four stories and meddling with NWN1 toolset. Lots of started projects there.
Working on Fiars BG2 NPC mod...

Offline theacefes

• Global Moderator
  • Level 3
  • XTREME METAL ROCKER PUNK CHICK WITH ULTRA SURFBOARD
    • MSN Messenger - bohdi2185@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - bohdi2185
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - theacefes@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 11:20:24 PM »
I had been playing BG since it was first released, but one day in 2003 while I was looking up some console codes for BG2 I came across BG fanfiction. Eventually through that I found the modding community but CoM was the first one I was really comfortable posting at. I got frustrated at the time it took for mods to be released so I decided to try out making my own. It took me about 5-6 months but with the help of some really nice people, I was able to learn how to do basic coding and release Auren. Over the years I've made new friends across the various communities and I've released a few NPC mods (including one fruit about which I will not speak...) as well as a mod that adds an alternate partial soundtrack to BG2.

I'm typically known about the community for helping people with their own mods by making custom classical music tracks for them. Modding is what got me into programming in the first place, so I'm glad I got to do it.

Oh, and I can't surf. Not even a little bit.
-Ace
NPC Creation Guide - Latest Version
My Music Reels (mod-related and others)

Magical Unicorns - Because ponies are so last year.

theacefes: People probably look at our pictures and think "hmm one admin looks psychotic and the other looks like Captain Picard..."
grimsqueaker: TOGETHER THEY FIGHT CRIME