Author Topic: Freedom's Reign/Reign of Virtue Reviews  (Read 47290 times)

Offline Solaufein

• Lord of the Realms
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
  • The night is dark and full of terrors...
    • ICQ Messenger - 251194643
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - gscott7833
    • View Profile
    • http://teambg.net
Freedom's Reign/Reign of Virtue Reviews
« on: November 01, 2005, 02:26:26 AM »
Reviews for Freedom's Reign/Reign of Virtue, old and new. Feel free to post reviews of this mod here.
My mods:
Dark Horizons
The Undying
Nikita
IWD2 store

Co-contributor:
Dark Side of the Sword Coast BG1 Weidu
Aurils Bane
Encounters
Saerileth
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Offline Solaufein

• Lord of the Realms
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
Freedom's Reign/Reign of Virtue Reviews
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 03:14:19 AM »
Written by: MoneyD

Ah, Freedom's Reign. Made by our very own, Deano. Deano obviously couldn't review his own MOD, so I stepped in. This is the first MOD i downloaded after searching around TeamBG, as i was presently playing BG2 and looking for something new. And i must say, i was very pleased at what i received after starting up a new game!! All sorts of neat surprises, great items, and new treasure from what had previously been old, boring fights. OK, on to the review.

Originality - 17

Overall, i found this MiniMOD to be very original in it's content. A wealth of new items had been added into the game, most of which will not be found without adventuring through the major quests. Anyone who has played Baldur's Gate 2 a few times already, can quickly get bored of the same old treasure. Well, Deano has given a solution to that problem. An astounding amount of new and very original items are to be found throughout this MiniMOD. I don't know about you, but i never expected to come across a rare dart merchant in my travels. Truth be told, the highlight of this was actually using characters i had played many times before, but having a wealth of new, fresh, original items to equip them with!

Quality - 18

OK, i played through with no problems what so ever, so in terms of game play quality, definate thumbs up!! The quality of items to be found was also astounding, considering the number of them that had been added. Each item was fully fleshed out, complete and of high quality. The amount of work put into this MiniMOD is very apparent from start to finish!

Description - 19

OK, to understand my review of description, you will need to check out Freedom's Reign for yourself. I have one word for you, MC Hammer! Read the description of this item (as well as the others throughout) and you will see why I score this section the way i do! To be honest, it was the descriptions themselves that made me want to keep numerous items. Unfortunately, i spent my weapon prof slots in the wrong weapons, so i'll be playing FR again so i can use them.

Fun Factor - 18

Well, i've already touched on this section in the other parts of my review above. So needless to say, i found a very high fun factor in Freedom's Reign! Most of the fun for me came from reading the item descriptions. I love items with stories behind them, and everything in Freedom's Reign had one. (My favourite, MC Hammer, I know I mentioned it again, but ya gotta read it!) As well as pulling new treasure of the bodies of vanquished foes. I mean, how many times can ya kill the same baddie, get the same item, and call it fun?? Overall, this MiniMOD made BG2 fun again, even after having played it quite a few times. All the stuff added in, made it an updated version of a great game.

Usability - 17

The MiniMOD is very easy to use. It fits right in with a normal game of Baldur's Gate 2. In fact, if you played Baldur's Gate 2 with Freedom's Reign installed without playin Baldur's Gate 2 before, you would not even realise that there had been a MOD done. Seemless integration with the game. I commend Deano for that. Some of the items were not usable by my party members, but that is my "fault" for party makeup, not Deano's. The items added were a variety of different sorts, and depending upon the party you like to play, you will have LOTS of options.

Overall

OK, that's my review of Freedom's Reign. If you haven't got it yet, take my advice and go get it, NOW!!! You won't be dissappointed. A fantastic add-on, and I applaud Deano for all the effort and work I know he must have put into it. Thumbs up from this reviewer! Go to Servants of the Shard to get it.

89 %
A fantastic add-on!

MoneyD
My mods:
Dark Horizons
The Undying
Nikita
IWD2 store

Co-contributor:
Aurils Bane
Encounters
Saerileth
Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Offline Solaufein

• Lord of the Realms
  • Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
Reviews
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 08:18:05 AM »
Written by: Mordan

Now, I shall begin by saying that I enjoyed the entire Baldur's Gate series, even Throne of Bhaal, which some found a bit of a let down. I was also honoured when Deano said I could review this, his latest MiniMOD. I had high expectations following playing BG2 with Freedom's Reign, and I was not disappointed.

I played through Throne of Bhaal as normal, only allowing myself the extra money needed to purchase any new items Deano had let loose on the BG2 world. The mod opens with a nifty addition to the starting area in Throne of Bhaal, and a good fight is to be had... as well as the niftiest trinket I've seen yet. My next encounter with Deano's creations was with a rather unfriendly chap in Saradush. I'll not let you in on any secrets - because hopefully you'll laugh yourself out your seat like I did when I saw this - but I'd definitely advise you to watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail, before playing this mod

I saw the first of Deano's new stores in the tavern in Saradush, and in keeping with his style - the items were expensive, but worth it. I tested each and every one... and let's say those angry Bhaalspawn took a licking. Each item I tested was an interesting, and well planned... and very well described items. But perhaps the best feature was, that they were useful, and complemented the bloodthirsty gaming style that is offered up in abundance with Throne of Bhaal.

Another note on the item descriptions, I personally found some of them very funny, and gave the mod quite a, well-made, feel to it. Take a look at this, the description for a rather neat little sword :

"This blade was fashioned by an old dwarven smith who was fed up of his wife's indecipherable nagging. A dwarf has high tolerance to many things, but to this one dwarven smith, it became intolerable. His Solution to the problem was this, blade, which created an aura of silence around it, keeping everyone else from speaking, while yet still allowing the wielder to speak out aloud. The plan backfired however, as his wife became infuriated, and the wrath of a Dwarven woman is something to behold.
She managed to wrestle the blade from her husband's hands and furiously tortured the poor wretch for the next 3 weeks, while he was unable to say a word. Somehow, this blade got lost in the mists of time, and has now reappeared, right here it seems."

Another feature that complements his more advanced items, are chance based functions - such as a jacket that can do different things for you each time it is put on. It is features like these that I feel keep the mod going strong even when you are right near the end.

The added stores, totalling 3 new stores, all with brand new items, are also an excellent example of something done correctly. The stores include well-known TeamBG IRC chat and forum dude, MoneyD... and it was an honour to meet my good friend in cre format. The other stores comprise a crazy (you'll know what I mean when you see his hair) gnome by the name of Fringle, and a man named Ted. I enjoyed finding each of these... and particularly enjoyed the sight of new and interesting items.

The encounters Deano provides are also very interesting, and well worthy of a few laughs. From a certain person in Saradush (go watch Monty Python!), to the crazy Deano, Cosmo and WhoDeany cameo as well as the less than sane Bob, and the murderously improved Baelden. Now I know not Deano's purpose for making this mod, likely his own amusement, and to provide a fun mod for a grateful community - but I think that this is one mod that will certainly add a little humour and silliness to a great game. Long hail the silliness! That's all I can say, oh - and long hail the cool and rather expensive items!

All in all, is Reign of Virtue worth downloading? Visit the Reign of Virtue Website for more information.

90 %
A well deserved score, and I look on with eager eyes at Deano's plans for Reign of Winter, although I do think he is in love with the word 'reign'..
My mods:
Dark Horizons
The Undying
Nikita
IWD2 store

Co-contributor:
Aurils Bane
Encounters
Saerileth